Let's be honest.....

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
JerseyWave
Riptide

We are not there yet. CJ made mistakes. Kicking game is lousy. Evans carved up our secondary. A lot of the freshman looked terrific. But, Tulane football has lost 5 of its last 6 games. We have not turned it around yet. We have to learn to put away teams! I measure success in terms of wins and losses! F U Rick Dickson!

Eaglewave
Swell

I always feel that you worry too much on every mistake on the gameday threads, but I see it's for good F'n reason! We are a sloppy F!n football program! You can't lose games like this an expect to be respected by recruits and coaches. Tulsa didn't look good at all to me. This was a must win game. We have new stadium and new hype! I got a call from a LSU alum today who lives in NOLA and he told me, " Damn..it seems like high school coaches and NOLA football fans are begging for a reason for Tulane to win and build some hype in NOLA!" We have lost some spark going in to the GT game.
Last edited by Eaglewave on Thu Aug 28, 2014 11:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ball Sumrall!
LSU Law Greenie
Surge

At the end of the game when you can kick a FG to win you run the ball to the middle of the field for your freshman kicker. Don't make him kick at that angle! WTF?
My name is T J Acosta and I approve this message!
Eaglewave
Swell

LSU Law Greenie wrote:At the end of the game when you can kick a FG to win you run the ball to the middle of the field for your freshman kicker. Don't make him kick at that angle! WTF?

Right! And our play calling on their side of the 50 really sucked. CJ is in year 3 and being paid to win these type of games. The season looks rough now!
Ball Sumrall!
threeputt
High Tide

I honestly don't see us winning a game this year.
COChip
Low Tide

I actually thought we would find a way to win that game. Guess it's still a work in progress. Oh well. Unfortunately, I think Ga Tech is going to rush for about 500 yards next week. Those games against option teams turn out to be body bag games. Hope we can avoid injuries we can't afford.
Highwave
Low Tide

Unfortunately was not able to watch the game until the 4th quarter but a couple of play calls that really made no sense to me were the fade on 2nd down before Dirocco shanked it and the toss to short field on 2nd and 4 on the opening drive of OT. Both were crucial downs that we wasted.

Don't get me wrong - there is plenty of blame, particularly defensively, to go around. But this was an offensive shoot out and those 2 plays really ground my gears.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Kicking and coaching 0-1
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
Eaglewave
Swell

tpstulane wrote:Kicking and coaching 0-1
TPS,

Tanner F'n Lee baby!!!!!!!
Ball Sumrall!
Dr. Rosenrosen
High Tide

It's gonna be a long year with this defense and the schedule. I had us pegged at 4-8 with a win over Tulsa. I think we'll be 2-4 at best when we hit the rough three game stretch of UCF-Cincy-Houston. We really needed this one tonight.
wavefan03
Surge

Eaglewave wrote:
TPS,

Lee looked like a freshmen second half.

Poor coaching.
TrkWave
Ripple

threeputt wrote:I honestly don't see us winning a game this year.
Everyone needs to breathe and stop with the ridiculous hyperbole. Do we recall how we all reacted after USA? (woe is me and gnashing of teeth) These guys did not obliterate us, yes, it was a tragic loss. But I believe y'all will come to find that the team recollects itself and we beat GT next week, book it, and remember I called it. Gosh y'all are over the top.
Eaglewave
Swell

TrkWave wrote:
threeputt wrote:I honestly don't see us winning a game this year.
Everyone needs to breathe and stop with the ridiculous hyperbole. Do we recall how we all reacted after USA. These guys did not obliterate us, yes, it was a tragic loss. But I believe y'all will come to find that the team recollects itself and we beat GT next week, book, it, and remember I called it. Gosh y'all are over the top.
Calm down my _ss! We went 7-6 last season against the worst schedule we have seen in years! We panicked against USA for good F'n reason! Did you watch the F'n game tonight? The same sorry b_ss QB from Tulsa lit up our secondary! He will not be the best QB we will face.

The only thing that can save us now is a win over GT! After tonight, there is no F'n way I see that happening.
Ball Sumrall!
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

wavefan03 wrote:
Eaglewave wrote:
TPS,

Poor coaching.
The only thing holding back Lee is he's only going to be as good as his line and receivers allow for. I counted at least 8-9 drops. No one tonight picked up the blitz, very frustrating game to lose. Lousy job coaching on both sides of the ball.
Tulane Class of 1981
Eaglewave
Swell

tpstulane wrote:
wavefan03 wrote:
Eaglewave wrote:
TPS,

Poor coaching.
The only thing holding back Lee is he's only going to be as good as his line and receivers allow for. I counted at least 8-9 drops. No one tonight picked up the blitz, very frustrating game to lose. Lousy job coaching on both sides of the ball.

I counted 10 drops, 3 could have gotten us in position to score. Tanner Lee and Badie both got their parade pissed on by poor coaching and a backyard NORD defense!
Ball Sumrall!
RobertM320
Green Wave

I think three of those drops alone were Marfisi. We recruit two stud TE's because last year's guys couldn't catch, so we keep throwing it to last year's guys?
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Since it's time to be honest our next recruiting class has to include a kicker, a punter, 2-3 WR's, a another TE, a LB, couple of big d lineman and a couple of big o lineman. We are deep enough at QB, RB, DB but that's it.
Tulane Class of 1981
cajunfanatico
Swell

I caught some flak on another forum because I commented before the game that I felt there was a good chance the outcome would come down to coaching. My logic was that all indications were the two teams were relatively evenly matched and therefore a single coaching error for either team might be the difference. How much of a factor do you guys think coaching played last night?
ajcalhoun: Nobody here gives a flying fuck about UL-L and the Sunbelt Conference.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

tpstulane wrote:Since it's time to be honest our next recruiting class has to include a kicker, a punter, 2-3 WR's, a another TE, a LB, couple of big d lineman and a couple of big o lineman. We are deep enough at QB, RB, DB but that's it.
based on the play of the DB's last night...as the WR's Coach said one day during practice..OVER RATED !!!!...tacking by the back 7 in the open field was terrible YAC proves that
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

cajunfanatico wrote:I caught some flak on another forum because I commented before the game that I felt there was a good chance the outcome would come down to coaching. My logic was that all indications were the two teams were relatively evenly matched and therefore a single coaching error for either team might be the difference. How much of a factor do you guys think coaching played last night?

here is my take...CJ needs to become chief Recruiting guru...and NOT allowed near a stadium on game day !!!!
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
cajunfanatico
Swell

golfnut69 wrote:
cajunfanatico wrote:I caught some flak on another forum because I commented before the game that I felt there was a good chance the outcome would come down to coaching. My logic was that all indications were the two teams were relatively evenly matched and therefore a single coaching error for either team might be the difference. How much of a factor do you guys think coaching played last night?

here is my take...CJ needs to become chief Recruiting guru...and NOT allowed near a stadium on game day !!!!
:lol: I don't know that I'd go that far but when you think about, the duties and details a head coach has to attend to must be daunting. I've heard Cajun fans say Hud is not really a great X's and O's guy, basically let's his coaching staff make most of the gameday decisions. The more one studies the game the more one realizes why some of these guys make the money they do. It's no easy job.
ajcalhoun: Nobody here gives a flying fuck about UL-L and the Sunbelt Conference.
Ripple

Not recruiting a decent kicker is beyond an unforgivable offense.
mbawavefan12
Tsunami

Marfisi should not be allowed to run a route for the rest of his career.

The HC job is to make the quick and big decisions based on knowing his team, like spotting the ball in the middle of the field when you have a bad kicker. I have always been worried about the long term success under CJ because of his gameday coaching, I just don;t think he has the depth. He can recruit and motivate, not much else. How can our WRs be so bad when our HC has been a lifetime WR coach?

What a kick the the groin that the kicking problems kills us in game #1. Time will tell, but Tulsa did not look like a great team. Very concerned about this season based on that performance. GT could get ugly.
Robert1969
Riptide

RobertM320 wrote:I think three of those drops alone were Marfisi. We recruit two stud TE's because last year's guys couldn't catch, so we keep throwing it to last year's guys?
It made no sense. I was stunned that he was ever on the field. Heard about Charles Jones all fall camp, and he was targeted three times. Marfisis? Why the fuck would he ever be on the field? I mean -- ever! He can't catch. Everyone but the coaching staff knows it.
Bigschtick
Riptide

golfnut69 wrote:

Plus 1 The guy is not a head coach. He
is not the savior of Tulame football.
Speak softly but carry a bigschtick! In Sumrall We Trust!