Let's be honest.....

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
JDTulane
Riptide

Eaglewave wrote:
LSU Law Greenie wrote:At the end of the game when you can kick a FG to win you run the ball to the middle of the field for your freshman kicker. Don't make him kick at that angle! WTF?

Right! And our play calling on their side of the 50 really sucked. CJ is in year 3 and being paid to win these type of games. The season looks rough now!

This is what had me scratching my head. Otherwise I thought the playcalls were fine.

Fred Dowler
Riptide

Bigschtick wrote:
golfnut69 wrote:
cajunfanatico wrote:I caught some flak on another forum because I commented before the game that I felt there was a good chance the outcome would come down to coaching. My logic was that all indications were the two teams were relatively evenly matched and therefore a single coaching error for either team might be the difference. How much of a factor do you guys think coaching played last night?

here is my take...CJ needs to become chief Recruiting guru...and NOT allowed near a stadium on game day !!!!

Plus 1 The guy is not a head coach. He
is not the savior of Tulame football.
Yes, the 2013 season did not really resolve whether or not TU really has a budding success-story coaching regime on its hands. Maybe some credit is due to the defense staff for getting a lot out of what they had to work with but overall 7-6 with a less-than-challenging schedule does not establish that you are Mr. Super Coach.

Now the schedule gets to be more challenging and all of these teams have talent.
Tulane sports: small football stadium, very small basketball arena, w̶i̶n̶n̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶p̶r̶o̶g̶r̶a̶m̶s̶, h̶o̶n̶e̶s̶t̶y̶ ̶a̶n̶d̶ ̶a̶c̶c̶o̶u̶n̶t̶a̶b̶i̶l̶i̶t̶y̶ , but, hey, now there's tailgating.
JDTulane
Riptide

Love how people turn on a guy over an OT loss to a team that has THROTTLED us consistently in the past. PUHHHHLEAZE how soon we forget
Ripple

JDTulane wrote:Love how people turn on a guy over an OT loss to a team that has THROTTLED us consistently in the past. PUHHHHLEAZE how soon we forget
The program has a once-in-a-generation opportunity right now. The stadium has attracted the eyeballs and wallets of all sorts of people, the student body is engaged for the first time in decades, and there is a positive energy flowing around the program that hasn't been seen since the undefeated season.

People desperately want to believe, but the team went out last night and pulled the "Same Old Tulane" routine. They were a team that was out-coached, out-talented, and out-played -- the names and jerseys had changed, but the result was the same.

The time to capitalize is now, or it could be another 40 years before a moment like this presents itself again.
puffy
Surge

Very impressed with our freshman qb and rb; most talented combo since Moore-Ramsey/Losman. It will be a fun 3-4 years watching them tear up the AAC.

I expect a much stronger performance from the secondary vs GaTech, primarily because GaTech runs the triple option. But for Monroe, Doss, Nickerson, et al, it's time to prove the preseason press clippings right.

The team is still incredibly young and inexperienced, but everyone can see that the talent is there (except for maybe at kicker, although DiRocco nailing the OT field goal was encouraging). They had an opportunity to win on the road and blew it; this happens a lot around the college football landscape with young teams.

What will really be telling is how the coaching staff and players respond after a game they should have won and won handily; will there still be dropped passes, killer penalties, blown coverages and kicking travesties against Georgia Tech?
OUG
Riptide

#41 wrote:
JDTulane wrote:Love how people turn on a guy over an OT loss to a team that has THROTTLED us consistently in the past. PUHHHHLEAZE how soon we forget
The program has a once-in-a-generation opportunity right now. The stadium has attracted the eyeballs and wallets of all sorts of people, the student body is engaged for the first time in decades, and there is a positive energy flowing around the program that hasn't been seen since the undefeated season.

People desperately want to believe, but the team went out last night and pulled the "Same Old Tulane" routine. They were a team that was out-coached, out-talented, and out-played -- the names and jerseys had changed, but the result was the same.

The time to capitalize is now, or it could be another 40 years before a moment like this presents itself again.
I don't agree with your assessment that we were out-talented. We were out-coached in some ways, we were out-played in some ways. But there were also a lot of flukey plays that decided the outcome. I don't think you could watch the game last night -- where we never trailed until 2OT -- and conclude that this is the "same old Tulane".

I'm very disappointed in the loss, but your expectations may have been too high if you didn't think this was going to be a close game. And in a close game, a few small things can decide it. If we make that 20 yard field goal, if Tulsa doesn't convert the 4th and goal, or the two point conversion, etc. If Tanner's fumble in the first half is ruled a forward pass, etc.

Rather than saying "same old Tulane", which to me means not competitive and not talented enough to hang with other FBS teams, I would say that we controlled enough of this game to win a road conference game (which has happened maybe 6 or 7 times this century) in week one, but made some mental mistakes.

I didn't see anything last night that changed my opinion that every game this year is winnable and every game could be lost. After the South Alabama loss last year (at home, a team coming off a FCS loss), nobody would have said 7-6 was possible. Nobody would have said UNT or ECU or Tulsa wins were possible.
Ripple

OUG wrote:
#41 wrote:

I don't agree with your assessment that we were out-talented. We were out-coached in some ways, we were out-played in some ways. But there were also a lot of flukey plays that decided the outcome. I don't think you could watch the game last night -- where we never trailed until 2OT -- and conclude that this is the "same old Tulane".

I'm very disappointed in the loss, but your expectations may have been too high if you didn't think this was going to be a close game. And in a close game, a few small things can decide it. If we make that 20 yard field goal, if Tulsa doesn't convert the 4th and goal, or the two point conversion, etc. If Tanner's fumble in the first half is ruled a forward pass, etc.

Rather than saying "same old Tulane", which to me means not competitive and not talented enough to hang with other FBS teams, I would say that we controlled enough of this game to win a road conference game (which has happened maybe 6 or 7 times this century) in week one, but made some mental mistakes.

I didn't see anything last night that changed my opinion that every game this year is winnable and every game could be lost. After the South Alabama loss last year (at home, a team coming off a FCS loss), nobody would have said 7-6 was possible. Nobody would have said UNT or ECU or Tulsa wins were possible.
Moral victories and being happy about "hanging with other FBS teams" or "good enough to win on the road" is the epitome of "Same Old Tulane."

It's time to talk about winning games against bad teams like Tulsa. It's time to talk about not letting "fluke" plays destroy your gameplan. It's time to talk about stepping on the throat of teams that are trailing by 2 scores instead of letting them back into a game.

It's time to talk about raising expectations. Otherwise, why bother building new facilities or asking people to buy in to the program?
puffy
Surge

#41 wrote:
It's time to talk about winning games against bad teams like Tulsa.
Just curious, but how do we know for sure if Tulsa is a good or bad team this season? Looks like they've got a decent quarterback, weapons at WR, and a coaching staff that made appropriate 2nd half adjustments defensively.
WaveCan
Low Tide

Last night was disappointing and on the surface seems like same ole Tulane snatching defeat from the jaws of victory. But if you watched the entire game and have watched Tulane football the last decade and can't appreciate the positives from last night, I feel sorry for you. Nick Saban constantly preaches about "the process." When he was rebuilding LSU and Alabama he always told the press that if the players focused on the process, the results would eventually take care of themselves. I saw last night a roster with a ton of young talent. They made a bunch of mental mistakes that proved costly and they haven't figured out how to win yet, but they should only get better and even if we only win 4-5 this year, I think this team will be fun to watch. And that's the key to capitalizing on the new stadium after this year. We don't need to go 10-2 (though I hope we do) - putting an exciting product on the field with young local players will draw fans back for next season.
Ripple

WaveCan wrote:Last night was disappointing and on the surface seems like same ole Tulane snatching defeat from the jaws of victory. But if you watched the entire game and have watched Tulane football the last decade and can't appreciate the positives from last night, I feel sorry for you. Nick Saban constantly preaches about "the process." When he was rebuilding LSU and Alabama he always told the press that if the players focused on the process, the results would eventually take care of themselves. I saw last night a roster with a ton of young talent. They made a bunch of mental mistakes that proved costly and they haven't figured out how to win yet, but they should only get better and even if we only win 4-5 this year, I think this team will be fun to watch. And that's the key to capitalizing on the new stadium after this year. We don't need to go 10-2 (though I hope we do) - putting an exciting product on the field with young local players will draw fans back for next season.
LSU can preach "The Process" because they have legions of true-believer fans who will fill up Tiger Stadium regardless of the quality of the product on the field.

Tulane doesn't have that luxury.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Having just watched the reply up until regulation I feel like we could be special on offense. We kept coming back making big plays when we needed to, but our defense let us down giving up almost 600 yards (592). You are never going to win nearly giving up 600 yards in one game. We need to get some things corrected. But playing GT is going to be completely just the opposite look and preparation for our defense. Assignment football may be tough for this bunch.
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
greenphantom
Swell

tpstulane wrote:Having just watched the reply up until regulation I feel like we could be special on offense. We kept coming back making big plays when we needed to, but our defense let us down giving up almost 600 yards (592). You are never going to win nearly giving up 600 yards in one game. We need to get some things corrected. But playing GT is going to be completely just the opposite look and preparation for our defense. Assignment football may be tough for this bunch.
+1. Frustrating loss but this is not the same old Tulane team. I think Tulsa is better than most people are thinking. They were one of the class teams in Cusa and after 1 bad season people are acting like they are dregs.
wavefan03
Surge

mbawavefan12 wrote:Marfisi should not be allowed to run a route for the rest of his career.

The HC job is to make the quick and big decisions based on knowing his team, like spotting the ball in the middle of the field when you have a bad kicker. I have always been worried about the long term success under CJ because of his gameday coaching, I just don;t think he has the depth. He can recruit and motivate, not much else. How can our WRs be so bad when our HC has been a lifetime WR coach?

What a kick the the groin that the kicking problems kills us in game #1. Time will tell, but Tulsa did not look like a great team. Very concerned about this season based on that performance. GT could get ugly.
He can't motivate on the road. Our problem last year was we couldn't win on the road because we always came out flat. Our road record was horrible. Take away the two idiotic 80 yard streaks and we win this game.

We had no leaders last year. Leaders make sure you are ready to play on the road. I was excited to hear that my alma mater Curtis has 8 or so players on the team. Winning is contagious. Who are this team's leaders? Someone has to step up and say all the off the field thug crap and lack of motivation in practice and on the road isn't okay.

I still think CJ is a better Coach than the last 2 or 3 coaches. I'm still hopeful.
sader24
Tsunami

Devon Breaux can't catch. He didn't move the ball to the middle of the field bc we were trying to score a TD. The playcalling in the 2nd half was atrocious, we were trying to sit on the ball and run the clock out when we should have been trying to blow them out. You can't run on 1st down every single time. The late hit by Nico Marley in the 1st half, the fumble in the red zone in the 1st half, the TD with 30 seconds left in the 1st half, that cost us the game.
RobertM320
Green Wave

puffy wrote:
#41 wrote:
Just curious, but how do we know for sure if Tulsa is a good or bad team this season? Looks like they've got a decent quarterback, weapons at WR, and a coaching staff that made appropriate 2nd half adjustments defensively.
I was just looking to comment on the same thing. Everyone's so quick to downplay one 7-6 season by Tulane after years of losing, but they're not willing to downplay one bad season by Tulsa after years of winning?

Just for the facts, prior to 2013 Tulsa had winning records in 7 of the previous 8 seasons, went to 7 bowl games, and won 10 or more games four times. They won 5 of their 7 bowl games. This years juniors and seniors are only one year removed from an 11-3 season. They had A SINGLE bad season last year. We're calling the kettle black if we think we've earned the right to call Tulsa a bad team.
Fred Dowler
Riptide

RobertM320 wrote:
puffy wrote:
#41 wrote:
I was just looking to comment on the same thing. Everyone's so quick to downplay one 7-6 season by Tulane after years of losing, but they're not willing to downplay one bad season by Tulsa after years of winning?

Just for the facts, prior to 2013 Tulsa had winning records in 7 of the previous 8 seasons, went to 7 bowl games, and won 10 or more games four times. They won 5 of their 7 bowl games. This years juniors and seniors are only one year removed from an 11-3 season. They had A SINGLE bad season last year. We're calling the kettle black if we think we've earned the right to call Tulsa a bad team.
They're probably better than they were last year but still not among the top tier of the conference.
Tulane sports: small football stadium, very small basketball arena, w̶i̶n̶n̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶p̶r̶o̶g̶r̶a̶m̶s̶, h̶o̶n̶e̶s̶t̶y̶ ̶a̶n̶d̶ ̶a̶c̶c̶o̶u̶n̶t̶a̶b̶i̶l̶i̶t̶y̶ , but, hey, now there's tailgating.
RobertM320
Green Wave

Fred Dowler wrote:
RobertM320 wrote:
puffy wrote:
#41 wrote:

They're probably better than they were last year but still not among the top tier of the conference.
Fred, none of us follow Tulsa on a regular basis. You see it happen all the time. A good team runs into some unexpected injuries and adversity, and the entire season gets away from them. Look at last years Atlanta Falcons for an example. Four straight winning seasons and a trip to the NFC Championship game, and then pow. A few early season injuries and some bad game breaks, and before you know it, 3-13 happens.

You may look back on this game in two months and realize that Tulsa's a lot better than we thought at the time. They may not be in the top tier of the conference, but they may still be a decent team.