NIMBY's prepare for the opening of Yulman Stadium

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

http://uptownmessenger.com/2014/08/what ... more-41971
The Department of Public Works will be strictly enforcing towing laws in the neighborhoods, said Cheryn Robles of the city of New Orleans. The city will have officers in the area who can be deployed within two or three minutes of a call about a vehicle improperly parked, and a tow truck will follow immediately afterward if a violation is found.

“If I park my own car too close to my driveway, will I get ticketed?” asked one resident.

“Yes,” Robles replied. “This is parking enforcement, so use your driveway.”

For public-safety purposes, Tulane has also hired an off-duty detail totaling 16 New Orleans Police officers — led by Second District Commander Paul Noel — assigned in two-man cars to eight small zones covering the neighborhoods from Jefferson to Carrollton between St. Charles Avenue to Fontainebleau.

Sanitation workers will deliver trash and recycling cans to sidewalks throughout the neighborhoods around campus, such as Audubon Boulevard, Broadway Street, Palmer Avenue, Versailles and Maple Street. Some residents worried that the placement of trash cans on Audubon Boulevard will actually serve to encourage people to try to tailgate there, and asked for “no tailgating” signs to be affixed to them.

Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
sader24
Tsunami

These NIMBY's are some of the worst SOB's that ever lived. I pray to God one of them gets towed because of towing laws that they themselves forced to be in place. This is why I'm not driving to the first few games. It's going to be a real deterrent for future crowds if people start getting towed and are left out on the streets at 8pm or even worse 11pm with no car. These NIMBY's will probably be roaming the neighborhood making calls on any car that even resembles an illegal park job. It could be the one thing that really dampens this whole thing.
ccap05
Surge

Hopefully Tulane is quietly keeping their eyes open to slowly buy up these properties as they become available and use them as visiting Professor housing or some such. It is an interesting thought that if Tulane is in fact quietly doing this it will have the effect of driving the price of the properties up- once the NIMBYs suspect Tulane is behind a purchase they will hold out for as much as possible. This is in spite of the fact that the NIMBYs cry that their property is not as valuable because of the Stadium's existence.

I also suggest that if Tulane has a decent year and if the uptown atmosphere is anything like it was when I was growing up and going to the Sugar Bowl it will be interesting to walk by the NIMBYs houses and see if they are hosting cocktail parties, etc. on their properties. A couple of snapshots (if that is even a word anymore) of these jerks enjoying the free benefits of living in the neighborhood of the stadium would probably muffle a lot of their complaints about future expansion.

Finally, I suggest that every time there is an article written in the local press (general press as opposed to Tulane fan forums) relating to stadium issues we post gentle, polite comments letting the city as a whole and the NIMBYs in particular know that we think they are assh**es.

Cheers
IM42lane
Swell

sader24 wrote:These NIMBY's are some of the worst SOB's that ever lived. I pray to God one of them gets towed because of towing laws that they themselves forced to be in place. This is why I'm not driving to the first few games. It's going to be a real deterrent for future crowds if people start getting towed and are left out on the streets at 8pm or even worse 11pm with no car. These NIMBY's will probably be roaming the neighborhood making calls on any car that even resembles an illegal park job. It could be the one thing that really dampens this whole thing.
The PARKING (lack of) issue is why I am not going to the first two home games. My first attendance at Yulman will be for the UConn game on 10/11/2014.

I just knew that this parking issue would be a problem from the beginning. If some of you could be kind enough to post your solutions to the parking issue, it would be greatly appreciated.

ROLL WAVE!!!!
Regards,
"Pete" Madere
JerseyWave
Riptide

Dude, take a cab! I'm getting a cab from the airport to the Stadium. You can't let parking be a reason not to attend the game.
TUnola94
Trickle

Im going to let people pay to park on my front lawn on palmer (can fit 5 cars including driveway).
OUG
Riptide

IM42lane wrote:
sader24 wrote:These NIMBY's are some of the worst SOB's that ever lived. I pray to God one of them gets towed because of towing laws that they themselves forced to be in place. This is why I'm not driving to the first few games. It's going to be a real deterrent for future crowds if people start getting towed and are left out on the streets at 8pm or even worse 11pm with no car. These NIMBY's will probably be roaming the neighborhood making calls on any car that even resembles an illegal park job. It could be the one thing that really dampens this whole thing.
The PARKING (lack of) issue is why I am not going to the first two home games. My first attendance at Yulman will be for the UConn game on 10/11/2014.

I just knew that this parking issue would be a problem from the beginning. If some of you could be kind enough to post your solutions to the parking issue, it would be greatly appreciated.

ROLL WAVE!!!!
Where do you live? If you live near west of New Orleans, park at Oschner and take the shuttle. If you live East of New Orleans, park at the dome and take that shuttle.

While I understand that shuttling from these locations isn't for everyone, it seems like a fairly convenient solution if it is literally on your way in toward campus. It's just dropping off your car and hopping on a bus. Don't we mostly do this everytime we go to an airport? I would actually think it would take a ton of the stress away. Get their early and hang out on campus for a bit, have a few drinks knowing you won't be immediately getting in your car. Avoid the hassle of the post-game traffic flow.
NOLABigSteve
Riptide

JerseyWave wrote:Dude, take a cab! I'm getting a cab from the airport to the Stadium. You can't let parking be a reason not to attend the game.
+1
Roll Wave!
Tulane University c/o 2003
Football Defensive End '99, '00, '01, '02
2002 Hawaii Bowl Champions
School of Engineering (Computer Science)
batonvert
Ripple

IM42lane wrote:

ROLL WAVE!!!!
Parking is a problem at pretty much every college campus for football games. I live in Baton Rouge and occasionally will go to a LSU football game and the parking and traffic is insane. They have thousands of on campus parking yet the parking sucks. There's no way I would ever miss a Tulane football game because of parking or traffic. Is the parking and traffic going to be bad? Absolutely, but I would rather sit in 30 minutes or an hr of traffic and go to a game at Yulman than be in the dome. There's finally demand for Tulane football and I'm willing to be in that NUMBER!
sader24
Tsunami

We're taking a cab to Bruno's and bar hopping to the game.
ccap05
Surge

sader24 wrote:We're taking a cab to Bruno's and bar hopping to the game.
This is the best post of the week. Eat, drink, and enjoy the Green Wave.
IM42lane
Swell

batonvert wrote:
IM42lane wrote:

ROLL WAVE!!!!
Parking is a problem at pretty much every college campus for football games. I live in Baton Rouge and occasionally will go to an LSU football game and the parking and traffic is insane. They have thousands of on campus parking yet the parking sucks. There's no way I would ever miss a Tulane football game because of parking or traffic. Is the parking and traffic going to be bad? Absolutely, but I would rather sit in 30 minutes or an hr of traffic and go to a game at Yulman than be in the dome. There's finally demand for Tulane football and I'm willing to be in that NUMBER!
I will agree that college campus parking all over the country is seriously challenging. But, I am still going to let this parking issue work itself out during September. I have an big aversion to 'discussing' traffic issues with the NOPD or the BRPD (or any other city PD for that matter). I will show up for the 10/11 game when UConn plays here. I just hope that I do not have to park at the Superdome and catch a shuttle bus back to Tulane.

LSU just added another 10K seats to its stadium. I understand that there will be even less available parking for those patrons than last year. Isn't that a 'stroke of genius'! More seating, and LESS available parking. I just wonder if Rick Dickson had a hand in that!
Regards,
"Pete" Madere
OUG
Riptide

IM42lane wrote:
batonvert wrote:
IM42lane wrote:

ROLL WAVE!!!!
Parking is a problem at pretty much every college campus for football games. I live in Baton Rouge and occasionally will go to an LSU football game and the parking and traffic is insane. They have thousands of on campus parking yet the parking sucks. There's no way I would ever miss a Tulane football game because of parking or traffic. Is the parking and traffic going to be bad? Absolutely, but I would rather sit in 30 minutes or an hr of traffic and go to a game at Yulman than be in the dome. There's finally demand for Tulane football and I'm willing to be in that NUMBER!
I will agree that college campus parking all over the country is seriously challenging. But, I am still going to let this parking issue work itself out during September. I have an big aversion to 'discussing' traffic issues with the NOPD or the BRPD (or any other city PD for that matter). I will show up for the 10/11 game when UConn plays here. I just hope that I do not have to park at the Superdome and catch a shuttle bus back to Tulane.

LSU just added another 10K seats to its stadium. I understand that there will be even less available parking for those patrons than last year. Isn't that a 'stroke of genius'! More seating, and LESS available parking. I just wonder if Rick Dickson had a hand in that!
Just curious: Why are you so averse to that? I mean, if you're coming in from Baton Rouge on I-10, you just get right off near the dome and park, hop on the bus and be in the tailgating village in 15 minutes...?

This seems like a no-brainer. Help me understand.
IM42lane
Swell

OUG wrote:
IM42lane wrote:
batonvert wrote:
IM42lane wrote:

ROLL WAVE!!!!

Just curious: Why are you so averse to that? I mean, if you're coming in from Baton Rouge on I-10, you just get right off near the dome and park, hop on the bus and be in the tailgating village in 15 minutes...?

My reasons will probably not be good enough for you, but here goes anyway. I just want to be able to drive to a decent parking area near the stadium and not have to take yet another moving vehicle to finally arrive for a game almost two/three hours after I first jumped into my car up in Red Stick. That's all.

The other issue is the month of September. I will not attend football games during that hot month anyway. My health will not allow it.
Regards,
"Pete" Madere
OUG
Riptide

IM42lane wrote:
OUG wrote:
IM42lane wrote:
batonvert wrote:
IM42lane wrote:

ROLL WAVE!!!!

My reasons will probably not be good enough for you, but here goes anyway. I just want to be able to drive to a decent parking area near the stadium and not have to take yet another moving vehicle to finally arrive for a game almost two/three hours after I first jumped into my car up in Red Stick. That's all.

The other issue is the month of September. I will not attend football games during that hot month anyway. My health will not allow it.
Sorry to hear about your health -- I guess that is something different. And your reasons don't have to be good enough for me, I just hate to hear of someone missing out on such a good time due to the shuttle when the shuttle is at most another ten minutes (e.g., it's on the way, you're just waiting for the next one to arrive).

The shuttles (to me) seem like a really convenient option for people in certain circumstances (e.g., people for whom they are on the way). When it looked like Tulane was not going to have lots within walking distance of campus, the superdome sounded like a terrible idea. But under the right circumstances it could really make sense.

I don't think parking is going to be near the nightmare people imagine it to be. Tulane seems to have a plan in place. I mean, sure -- if you expect to just drive right on to campus and park off Palmer it's going to be a problem for you. If you have a plan before you leave (which most people do), I don't think the parking is going to hinder people having a good time at all.
ajcalhoun
Swell

OUG wrote:

I don't think parking is going to be near the nightmare people imagine it to be. Tulane seems to have a plan in place. I mean, sure -- if you expect to just drive right on to campus and park off Palmer it's going to be a problem for you. If you have a plan before you leave (which most people do), I don't think the parking is going to hinder people having a good time at all.

This. We certainly have our share of Chicken Littles around here.
God Bless Everyone!
IM42lane
Swell

OUG wrote:
IM42lane wrote:
OUG wrote:
IM42lane wrote:
batonvert wrote:
IM42lane wrote:

ROLL WAVE!!!!

Sorry to hear about your health -- I guess that is something different. And your reasons don't have to be good enough for me, I just hate to hear of someone missing out on such a good time due to the shuttle when the shuttle is at most another ten minutes (e.g., it's on the way, you're just waiting for the next one to arrive).

The shuttles (to me) seem like a really convenient option for people in certain circumstances (e.g., people for whom they are on the way). When it looked like Tulane was not going to have lots within walking distance of campus, the superdome sounded like a terrible idea. But under the right circumstances it could really make sense.

You are probably correct. I must adapt to new things, and one day I will, but change is hard for some people, and I must admit that I am one of those stubborn people. (Don't tell my wife that I admitted that, OK!)

My health issues are really not that bad, if I could only get in better shape. My arthritis issues prevent me from conquering that hurdle. It really gets bad when I can not even walk on an off a golf course.
Regards,
"Pete" Madere
GreenLantern
Riptide

tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

TD and the NIMBY agreement
https://wgno.com/2018/09/11/dannen-want ... n-stadium/
Dannen told the Greater New Orleans Sports Foundation quarterback club he wants to play high school games at Tulane’s on campus football stadium Thursday, Friday, and Saturday. But, he said the current usage agreement with the city prevents it.
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
sader24
Tsunami

Also known as the stupidest agreement ever agreed to.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

sader24 wrote: Wed Sep 12, 2018 12:29 am Also known as the stupidest agreement ever agreed to.
for someone in the "education" biz..ole SC was one F^@%ing dumb ass...and in my opinion he and "Marge's" accounts need a good auditing by a forensic accountant....may I suggest the highly regard firm of " Howe, Whee, Reely, Cheatum " for the assignment....Ya just gotta follow the money
Last edited by golfnut69 on Wed Sep 12, 2018 12:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
Show Me
Tsunami

golfnut69 wrote: Wed Sep 12, 2018 8:37 am
sader24 wrote: Wed Sep 12, 2018 12:29 am Also known as the stupidest agreement ever agreed to.
for someone n the "education" biz..ole SC was one F^@%ing dumb ass...and in my opinion he and "Marge's" accounts need a good auditing by a forensic account..may I suggest the highly regard firm of " Howe, Whee, Reely, Cheatum " for the assignment....Ya just gotta follow the money
Even makes the Iran deal look good. :lol:
NOLABigSteve
Riptide

Is this an agreement with the city? Or with the NIMBY's? Both? And what happens if we want to cancel or back out of the agreement?
Roll Wave!
Tulane University c/o 2003
Football Defensive End '99, '00, '01, '02
2002 Hawaii Bowl Champions
School of Engineering (Computer Science)
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

NOLABigSteve wrote: Wed Sep 12, 2018 10:01 am Is this an agreement with the city? Or with the NIMBY's? Both? And what happens if we want to cancel or back out of the agreement?
just cancel the agreement...work with Iran and NAFTA...ya just need a set of ball between your legs
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
winwave
Top of the WAVE

TD said he didn't know what the penalties were for breaking the agreement. It's just good news that the administration is looking into it.
Last edited by winwave on Wed Sep 12, 2018 5:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.