Scary Field Goal News

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
nawlinspete
Riptide

Scott Kushner says we have no ability to kick Field Goals beyond 30 yards. Kushner says we'll be going for a lot of Fourth and Four from the 18.

President Fitts , B of A , it's put up or forever hold your peace time . Make Tulane ATHLETICS relevant and top 30 again .
JDTulane
Riptide

Can I change my 66 to 4 n 8? Thats pretty bad. I'll hope hes exaggerating
JTLiuzza
Swell

We have 6 guys on the roster listed at kicker (or punter/kicker). Not one of them can kick accurately beyond the 13 yard line? I hope he's exaggerating too.

So can we also forget about any touch backs on kickoffs?
The second commandment has not been abrogated.
IM42lane
Swell

Then, score lots of TD's and GO FOR 2!!!
Regards,
"Pete" Madere
LSU Law Greenie
Surge

JTLiuzza wrote:We have 6 guys on the roster listed at kicker (or punter/kicker). Not one of them can kick accurately beyond the 13 yard line? I hope he's exaggerating too.

So can we also forget about any touch backs on kickoffs?

The punter Picerelli will handle kickoffs and he can get it near the goal line. Our 2 FG kickers are bad - there is no other way to describe it. I've seen them at practice once and when they were off on their own kicking, neither one tried a FG of greater than 40 yards and those were barely long enough.

Its going to be a long year with the kickers. And God help us if we have to kick a FG to win a game. I really think once we get to the 35 yard line we are in 4 down territory until we get to the 20 yard line.
My name is T J Acosta and I approve this message!
winwave
Top of the WAVE

It has looked really bad. Scott is not exaggerating at all. Picerelli can kick to the 5 based on the practice I saw. You have to remember that he and the others were kicking off from the 40 instead of the 35 that day. So you have to take that yardage out. I think we'd have to get to at least the 15 for the coaches to feel like we could attempt a FG w/any chance of success. Our offense is going to have to be high octane.

I think the reason here is that this recruiting hasn't been done in person like our positional recruiting. We seem to be relying on film and scouting services.
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
mbawavefan12
Tsunami

Scott said the 27 yd line was a question mark. I know it sounds bad but 25 yd line is a bout the line. I don't get it, my crappy HS kicker in New England could stretch it to 40. It's a big miss on recruiting. If we need a late game longer field goal, at least Piccareli can be used to give us a chance.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

I've been saying this all along. The people I talk to me tell me this is our only weakness but it's big. Our kicking game has always had me worried. Our avg kickoff's will go between the 5-15 yard line if we are lucky. Kicking by committee as well.
The kicking game is going to be a struggle all year long. LSU found two really good kickers in walk-on tryouts, Trent Domingue who kicked for St. Paul's of Covington in high school and Colby Delahoussaye who was all state for New Iberia High. We should have had walk-on tryouts for a kicker.
Last edited by tpstulane on Fri Aug 22, 2014 3:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

who needs end zones....Tulane will perfect the "squib" kik....
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
winwave
Top of the WAVE

tpstulane wrote:I've been saying this all along. The people I talk to me tell me this is our only weakness but it's big. Our kicking game has always had me worried. Our avg kickoff's will go between the 5-15 yard line if we are lucky. Kicking by committee as well.
The kicking game is going to be a struggle all year long. LSU found two really good kickers in walk-on tryouts, Trent Domingue who kicked for St. Paul's of Covington in high school and Colby Delahoussaye who was all state for New Iberia High. We should have had walk-on tryouts for a kicker.
We have quite a few walk-ons there. We should have given those two you mentioned scholarships.
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

winwave wrote:
tpstulane wrote:I've been saying this all along. The people I talk to me tell me this is our only weakness but it's big. Our kicking game has always had me worried. Our avg kickoff's will go between the 5-15 yard line if we are lucky. Kicking by committee as well.
We have quite a few walk-ons there. We should have given those two you mentioned scholarships.
+1
I saw that St. Paul's kid kick and he's really good, has a big strong leg.
Tulane Class of 1981
ideal1965
Ripple

any kicker, but maybe 2 - 4 nationally at the college level are going to look inferior to Cairo. The kickers are adequate / comparable to most D1 schools. watch other teams will be very similar to us. Cairo was comparable to a heisman winner as far as kickers go. you are not going to replace that for a long time or it will take time to develop. we were spoiled, constantly ridiculing them will just make them implode - they feel the pressure. we have what we have - we don't have cairo anymore.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

tpstulane wrote:
winwave wrote:
+1
I saw that St. Paul's kid kick and he's really good, has a big strong leg.
I still remember Mack Brown saying that kickers were a dime a dozen and he was not going to waste grant in aid's on any damn kicker if memory serves, not long after that comment his kicker (Clements ?) transferred to Texas
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
Dr. Rosenrosen
High Tide

The people I talk to me tell me this is our only weakness but it's big.

Somehow I doubt this is our ONLY weakness. :lol:
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Dr. Rosenrosen wrote:The people I talk to me tell me this is our only weakness but it's big.

Based on last year's team. (we retracted in the kicking game, other areas we improved)
Tulane Class of 1981
cajunfanatico
Swell

You guys relax, your kickers will be fine. I'd be most worried about special teams on those kickoff returns. A lot can happen when the ball is taken in at 10 yard line on a kick off as opposed to a touchback.

Our field goal kicker sucked all year long last year and Hud sat him down for the New Orleans Bowl game. Did you guys know that our kicker, who basically won the game with that late field goal against you guys, had never kicked a field goal or extra point in his college career before that game? Those were his first college kicks.

As I say, you'll be fine.
ajcalhoun: Nobody here gives a flying fuck about UL-L and the Sunbelt Conference.
DrBox
Riptide

Dr. Rosenrosen wrote:The people I talk to me tell me this is our only weakness but it's big.

Yea, that's a good one.
Ha ha ha
Ha ha ha ha ha
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Our kickers haven't been anywhere near adequate in the spring or the fall. They do not compare to other teams kickers favorably at all. It's why CJ and multiple members of the media are commenting on it. As fans it concerns us as it may cause us to lose some tight games. It also concerns us to why we have this issue and we want it addressed.
wavemania
Surge

Time to let a lady off the women's soccer team give it a go! :D
TXWave88
Surge

I think this has to be an exaggeration. I think you could teach someone else on the team that is not a kicker to kick a 40 yard field goal. At least they would have the leg to get it there, not sure it would be as accurate. We do a punt pass kick competition and I can still hit or come close to a 40yd fg (I was a TE and I am in my 30s). If this is the case, then back to my rant that it's a joke to not have an average kicker at Tulane due to the area and the education. Marler always said that there is no reason Tulane should not have a kicker. (Unfortunately we had these discussions after his career here as we struggled then). It would be better to find a lineman and toe punch a ball since it sounds that they have no leg and aren't accurate. Maybe we need to go watch film of that high school that never punted and won a state championship. Such a disgrace and yes, most of all of our HS kickers were able to hit 40yd fgs so that's a big yuck.

If they can barely kick it to the 5 yd line, then they need to do sky kicks and eliminate any chance of returns. Sure you give them the 35-30 yard line, but at least you eliminate the worst.
wavemania wrote:Time to let a lady off the women's soccer team give it a go! :D
A random woman living in Sharp may be good enough. :lol: Go find a kid on the club soccer team and tell him he has a chance at a scholarship.
greenphantom
Swell

I went to practice this past Tuesday. They didn't look good but not quite as bad as been reported, at least that day. A little below average. If they can at least be mostly accurate under 40 we'll be ok. One huge problem I see is that the freshman kicker is wearing #64. That's not a good sign for that position.
sader24
Tsunami

Someone call Kathy Ireland.
Dave breslin
Swell

Does Eddie Murray have any eligibility left.?
batonvert
Ripple

Maybe we should consider a men's soccer team.
JTLiuzza
Swell

TXWave88 wrote:If they can barely kick it to the 5 yd line, then they need to do sky kicks and eliminate any chance of returns. Sure you give them the 35-30 yard line, but at least you eliminate the worst.
I know everybody remembers the horrendous kick off and coverage situation we faced under Scelfo and continuing under Toledo. Back then in my section we used to say, as bad as it sounds. we'd be better off kicking it out of bounds and just giving them the ball on the 35. Like you said it would eliminate the worst. And as it was they were starting on the 40 or better every time (when they were not running it back).

I hope you're right about it being an exaggeration.
The second commandment has not been abrogated.