Future OOC Games

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
lurker123
Swell
Posts: 1300
Joined: Tue Apr 23, 2013 9:01 pm
Status: Offline

Tue Apr 26, 2016 1:49 pm

winwave wrote:The Dome is a 5 minute drive. UCLA also plays off campus.
Interesting discussion here so I'll continue. Westwood is 17 miles and literally an hour+ drive to the Rose Bowl on a good day (say Saturday.) Forget a weeknight game there for traffic.

True the L.A. Coliseum is an oncampus stadium. However its size is a function of the Olympics in 1932 and later the Rams, Dodgers and Raiders using it also. (Like Tulane Stadium's size was a function of the Sugar Bowl which paid fully for doubling capacity over 35 years. It had nothing to do with Tulane and the SEC.) USC has drawn exceptionally well recently because of its winning but mainly because of no NFL competition for 20 years. I expect you will see a 15%+ decline in attendance in a few years at its and UCLAs games because of NFL returning to L.A.

GT and Vandy both play in oncampus stadiums that sit 40,000 to 50,000. UH has joined them after UC moved back to Nippert, SMU to Ford and Temple wants to. I can't think of a single urban program other than now USC that "thrives" in a pro stadium. UW, UMinn, UMaryland, Stanford, CAL, ASU, TCU, Northwestern and even Rutgers don't play in nearby "state of the art" pro stadiums.

A few teams do "ok" in NFL stadiums: namely Pitt, Miami sometimes and perhaps SDS besides now USC. UMass does horribly and Temple is begging to go back to campus to a proposed "small" stadium even AFTER selling out the Eagles stadium twice last season.

Maybe I missed one and whoever can correct me as needed.

Note the number of P5 schools including megastate schools like UMinn, UW and ASU that don't want any part of pro stadiums. There is a lesson here whether you are P5 or G5. Quit trying to compete with the NFL. Let's forget about the igloo, improve Yulman and Devlin and make the best of it on campus.


winwave
Wild Pelican
Posts: 12011
Joined: Sat Jul 16, 2011 10:34 am
Status: Offline

Tue Apr 26, 2016 3:30 pm

Let me sum this up the best I can. This thread is about future scheduling. In the future we all expect this program to finally realize its full potential. This is a great sports town and it's an especially great football town. For the program to realize its full potential we need to play football schools that our fans are truly interested in. The message needs to be sent to TD and the new administration that our fan base wants to see us play big time games and we don't want that limited by our tiny venues. If at the time we are reaching our potential our venues are still tiny then we have no problem playing those games in the Dome. This isn't about playing all games there. This is about getting real games on the schedule at home. People need to put aside their own interest and think what's best for the program. There is no I in team. We are not going to get big time games on campus. The fans want big time games. Do what it takes.

As for your examples we don't wan to be Vandy or GT in football. We can be so much more. Houston built to 40k and w/ a clear plan to expand to 50k. We certainly don't want to be SMU. SMU has a 32,000 seat stadium and stinks and it sits empty. Sorry but 22,660 is just too damn small to accommodate big time football. It just is. I believe we will reach our potential under our new guidance and I don't want it stymied.
Find A Way!
DfromCT
Tsunami
Posts: 6008
Joined: Tue Dec 27, 2011 1:50 pm
Location: Stamford, CT
Status: Offline

Tue Apr 26, 2016 4:33 pm

winwave wrote:Let me sum this up the best I can. This thread is about future scheduling. In the future we all expect this program to finally realize its full potential. This is a great sports town and it's an especially great football town. For the program to realize its full potential we need to play football schools that our fans are truly interested in. The message needs to be sent to TD and the new administration that our fan base wants to see us play big time games and we don't want that limited by our tiny venues. If at the time we are reaching our potential our venues are still tiny then we have no problem playing those games in the Dome. This isn't about playing all games there. This is about getting real games on the schedule at home. People need to put aside their own interest and think what's best for the program. There is no I in team. We are not going to get big time games on campus. The fans want big time games. Do what it takes.

As for your examples we don't wan to be Vandy or GT in football. We can be so much more. Houston built to 40k and w/ a clear plan to expand to 50k. We certainly don't want to be SMU. SMU has a 32,000 seat stadium and stinks and it sits empty. Sorry but 22,660 is just too damn small to accommodate big time football. It just is. I believe we will reach our potential under our new guidance and I don't want it stymied.
I agree with everything you say, Win. But I also re-state that right now we're a team with a new coach and high expectations/aspirations. When we become more than an afterthought, (and I think it's going to take more than one year) we should be ready to play the big teams in the dome and start forcing discussion of the upper deck on the short side of Yulman. And yes, those games need to be scheduled now in anticipation of growing into the plan in 3 or 4 years. But, once again, we've lost generations of fans and potential fans. It's not going to happen overnight. Put another way: If our last home game was about reaching the 6th win and going to a bowl game this year, I don't think we'd sell it out. We need to win, and win consistently to build the fan base.
" For every alum, no matter where they are...I want a football coach that's going to make Saturday something you anticipate and look forward to." --Troy Dannen

Thank you all for your support as my son Zach continues to beat leukemia
winwave
Wild Pelican
Posts: 12011
Joined: Sat Jul 16, 2011 10:34 am
Status: Offline

Tue Apr 26, 2016 5:00 pm

We agree that we are not there yet. To get there we need to win consistently against quality opposition.
Find A Way!
User avatar
nawlinspete
Swell
Posts: 1628
Joined: Sat Jun 11, 2011 7:43 pm
Status: Offline

Tue Apr 26, 2016 7:41 pm

winwave wrote:Let me sum this up the best I can. This thread is about future scheduling. In the future we all expect this program to finally realize its full potential. This is a great sports town and it's an especially great football town. For the program to realize its full potential we need to play football schools that our fans are truly interested in. The message needs to be sent to TD and the new administration that our fan base wants to see us play big time games and we don't want that limited by our tiny venues. If at the time we are reaching our potential our venues are still tiny then we have no problem playing those games in the Dome. This isn't about playing all games there. This is about getting real games on the schedule at home. People need to put aside their own interest and think what's best for the program. There is no I in team. We are not going to get big time games on campus. The fans want big time games. Do what it takes.

As for your examples we don't wan to be Vandy or GT in football. We can be so much more. Houston built to 40k and w/ a clear plan to expand to 50k. We certainly don't want to be SMU. SMU has a 32,000 seat stadium and stinks and it sits empty. Sorry but 22,660 is just too damn small to accommodate big time football. It just is. I believe we will reach our potential under our new guidance and I don't want it stymied.
Absolutely correct Winwave. The above discussion is why I brought this thread back. The new academic and athletic administrations MUST REALIZE that Tulane fans will support Tulane athletics with winning and good scheduling. No more dumbing down of ANYTHING at Tulane.
Once and Again, With Smart Choices and a Bit Of Patience
Aberzombie1892
Swell
Posts: 1665
Joined: Sat May 31, 2014 8:16 pm
Location: Houston, TX
Status: Offline

Tue Apr 26, 2016 8:30 pm

I support Tulane as much as the next person, but I don't things will ever be the way they once were, and I say that because it needs to be said. When you look at the FBS landscape, what private schools in a conference regularly command crowds of more than 50k for home games? Sure there may be special games that involve Notre Dame, BYU, or specific games against a handful of teams that have huge crowds that like to travel, but what FBS private schools in a conference (including high profile winners) have those crowds on a consistent basis (and it doesn't matter if we are talking P5 vs G5)? Maybe what, one or two?

Our stadium is appropriately sized until we can consistently sell it out, and, once that happens, we can expand. Even if/when we do expand, it's unlikely that we will ever need more than 50k capacity. I don't understand why some people believe that we will need a huge stadium when a survey of the other private FBS programs indicates that that is unlikely to be the case.
winwave
Wild Pelican
Posts: 12011
Joined: Sat Jul 16, 2011 10:34 am
Status: Offline

Tue Apr 26, 2016 10:56 pm

Aberzombie1892 wrote:I support Tulane as much as the next person, but I don't things will ever be the way they once were, and I say that because it needs to be said. When you look at the FBS landscape, what private schools in a conference regularly command crowds of more than 50k for home games? Sure there may be special games that involve Notre Dame, BYU, or specific games against a handful of teams that have huge crowds that like to travel, but what FBS private schools in a conference (including high profile winners) have those crowds on a consistent basis (and it doesn't matter if we are talking P5 vs G5)? Maybe what, one or two?

Our stadium is appropriately sized until we can consistently sell it out, and, once that happens, we can expand. Even if/when we do expand, it's unlikely that we will ever need more than 50k capacity. I don't understand why some people believe that we will need a huge stadium when a survey of the other private FBS programs indicates that that is unlikely to be the case.
You're stuck in SC/RD land. Like I said this is a great sports town and it is an especially great football town. A winning Tulane program will draw a whole hell of a lot more than 22,660. No one has said we need a bigger than 50k on campus stadium. But we do need that to draw the recruits to elevate the program and we need it to host real games.
Find A Way!
User avatar
nawlinspete
Swell
Posts: 1628
Joined: Sat Jun 11, 2011 7:43 pm
Status: Offline

Tue May 03, 2016 5:34 pm

Read and weep; Alabama schedules The Citadel and Northwestern adds Nevada while we , apparently, forsake playing additional P5 opponents because they won't give us a 1 - 1 or a 2 - 2.

Let's get on it; each scheduling announcement closes the door more on us.
Once and Again, With Smart Choices and a Bit Of Patience
Aberzombie1892
Swell
Posts: 1665
Joined: Sat May 31, 2014 8:16 pm
Location: Houston, TX
Status: Offline

Tue May 03, 2016 6:04 pm

winwave wrote:
Aberzombie1892 wrote:I support Tulane as much as the next person, but I don't things will ever be the way they once were, and I say that because it needs to be said. When you look at the FBS landscape, what private schools in a conference regularly command crowds of more than 50k for home games? Sure there may be special games that involve Notre Dame, BYU, or specific games against a handful of teams that have huge crowds that like to travel, but what FBS private schools in a conference (including high profile winners) have those crowds on a consistent basis (and it doesn't matter if we are talking P5 vs G5)? Maybe what, one or two?

Our stadium is appropriately sized until we can consistently sell it out, and, once that happens, we can expand. Even if/when we do expand, it's unlikely that we will ever need more than 50k capacity. I don't understand why some people believe that we will need a huge stadium when a survey of the other private FBS programs indicates that that is unlikely to be the case.
You're stuck in SC/RD land. Like I said this is a great sports town and it is an especially great football town. A winning Tulane program will draw a whole hell of a lot more than 22,660. No one has said we need a bigger than 50k on campus stadium. But we do need that to draw the recruits to elevate the program and we need it to host real games.
Maybe, but there are several factors at play concerning attendance that would impact our ability to grow our number, and, once you factor them in, it just seems like we will need to do more than just win in order to build our attendance.

1. Schedule - Our schedule year in and year out is flat out unattractive to a casual college football fan, and, even if we start winning, there are tons of examples of successful G5 teams that don't draw huge crowds (Boise State, Houston [relatively speaking], Northern Illinois, Temple, Cincinnati, etc.) that likely don't draw huge crowds in part because of their Schedule. Houston still brings a crowd, but the coach expressed frustration last year that they were not selling out games even though Houston was so successful. Given these and other examples, the only reasonable conclusion is that causal fans are not interested in the opponents enough to come to all of the home games. This phenomena also happens with some P5 programs, particularly in the ACC (which has the lowest average home attendance of P5 conferences).

2. NFL/LSU - We have to indirectly compete with the Saints and LSU for relevance with the general population, and we need to be realistic about that. Those teams are heavily supported by people that have no affiliation to either because their schedules are solid and their games generally impact the national landscape even when the teams aren't that good. We don't have those luxuries.

3. Local Alumni base - We have a small alumni base, and many of our more successful Alumni over the last few decades leave the area so that leaves fewer alumni in the area who are on the fence about games but would attend if we were winning. In regard to alumni that live outside the region, it's unlikely that many of them would even consider flying in for anything other than homecoming or a huge game (i.e. Oklahoma). Think of it this way - if you lived in Dallas or NYC, would you fly to Nola and pay for a hotel just to see us play UConn? Maybe a couple of our fans do, but not many, and you can bet top dollar that many people fly in for LSU and the Saints.

It's true that we sold out a bunch of games in our first season in Yulman, but the new stadium heavily influenced that. It's unclear whether we can consistently sell it out given our schedule, competition, and scattered alumni. Sure, we can sell out big games (big opponents), but we need to do sell out consistently, and, once we have done that, expansion of the stadium would make sense.
User avatar
nawlinspete
Swell
Posts: 1628
Joined: Sat Jun 11, 2011 7:43 pm
Status: Offline

Tue May 03, 2016 6:14 pm

Aberzombie we need to tell 'em, tell 'em and tell 'em again. We are in an NFL city in a State U state and we MUST schedule ambitiously; overly ambitiously to build interest and to attract top notch players who want to stay home and play "the best'.
Once and Again, With Smart Choices and a Bit Of Patience
winwave
Wild Pelican
Posts: 12011
Joined: Sat Jul 16, 2011 10:34 am
Status: Offline

Tue May 03, 2016 6:41 pm

Aberzombie1892 wrote:
winwave wrote:
Aberzombie1892 wrote:I support Tulane as much as the next person, but I don't things will ever be the way they once were, and I say that because it needs to be said. When you look at the FBS landscape, what private schools in a conference regularly command crowds of more than 50k for home games? Sure there may be special games that involve Notre Dame, BYU, or specific games against a handful of teams that have huge crowds that like to travel, but what FBS private schools in a conference (including high profile winners) have those crowds on a consistent basis (and it doesn't matter if we are talking P5 vs G5)? Maybe what, one or two?

Our stadium is appropriately sized until we can consistently sell it out, and, once that happens, we can expand. Even if/when we do expand, it's unlikely that we will ever need more than 50k capacity. I don't understand why some people believe that we will need a huge stadium when a survey of the other private FBS programs indicates that that is unlikely to be the case.
You're stuck in SC/RD land. Like I said this is a great sports town and it is an especially great football town. A winning Tulane program will draw a whole hell of a lot more than 22,660. No one has said we need a bigger than 50k on campus stadium. But we do need that to draw the recruits to elevate the program and we need it to host real games.
Maybe, but there are several factors at play concerning attendance that would impact our ability to grow our number, and, once you factor them in, it just seems like we will need to do more than just win in order to build our attendance.

1. Schedule - Our schedule year in and year out is flat out unattractive to a casual college football fan, and, even if we start winning, there are tons of examples of successful G5 teams that don't draw huge crowds (Boise State, Houston [relatively speaking], Northern Illinois, Temple, Cincinnati, etc.) that likely don't draw huge crowds in part because of their Schedule. Houston still brings a crowd, but the coach expressed frustration last year that they were not selling out games even though Houston was so successful. Given these and other examples, the only reasonable conclusion is that causal fans are not interested in the opponents enough to come to all of the home games. This phenomena also happens with some P5 programs, particularly in the ACC (which has the lowest average home attendance of P5 conferences).

2. NFL/LSU - We have to indirectly compete with the Saints and LSU for relevance with the general population, and we need to be realistic about that. Those teams are heavily supported by people that have no affiliation to either because their schedules are solid and their games generally impact the national landscape even when the teams aren't that good. We don't have those luxuries.

3. Local Alumni base - We have a small alumni base, and many of our more successful Alumni over the last few decades leave the area so that leaves fewer alumni in the area who are on the fence about games but would attend if we were winning. In regard to alumni that live outside the region, it's unlikely that many of them would even consider flying in for anything other than homecoming or a huge game (i.e. Oklahoma). Think of it this way - if you lived in Dallas or NYC, would you fly to Nola and pay for a hotel just to see us play UConn? Maybe a couple of our fans do, but not many, and you can bet top dollar that many people fly in for LSU and the Saints.

It's true that we sold out a bunch of games in our first season in Yulman, but the new stadium heavily influenced that. It's unclear whether we can consistently sell it out given our schedule, competition, and scattered alumni. Sure, we can sell out big games (big opponents), but we need to do sell out consistently, and, once we have done that, expansion of the stadium would make sense.
Like I said above you are unfortunately stuck in SC/RD mode of woe is me , we're just little ole Tulane and we can't compete.

As for #1- that's why we need to schedule better and we wil under TD. He gets that the Dome is an asset to be used to draw in big games with LSU and Ole Miss and the like. That's why he's playing UNC in the SKC.

#2- we have competed against them and when we were good we got 40 k consistently I the Dome. Your take is that we might as well quit b/c we just compete. We are going to be good again. The people at Tulane games have always been people that you call unaffiliated. It's a great football town and people want a team to adopt the hometown team.

#3- see #2

It's a new day and TD refuses to be handcuffed by small time thinking. Thank goodness for TD.
Find A Way!
jonathanjoseph
Green Wave
Posts: 9299
Joined: Wed Dec 01, 2010 5:54 pm
Status: Offline

Tue May 03, 2016 6:49 pm

winwave wrote:
Aberzombie1892 wrote:
winwave wrote:
Aberzombie1892 wrote:I support Tulane as much as the next person, but I don't things will ever be the way they once were, and I say that because it needs to be said. When you look at the FBS landscape, what private schools in a conference regularly command crowds of more than 50k for home games? Sure there may be special games that involve Notre Dame, BYU, or specific games against a handful of teams that have huge crowds that like to travel, but what FBS private schools in a conference (including high profile winners) have those crowds on a consistent basis (and it doesn't matter if we are talking P5 vs G5)? Maybe what, one or two?

Our stadium is appropriately sized until we can consistently sell it out, and, once that happens, we can expand. Even if/when we do expand, it's unlikely that we will ever need more than 50k capacity. I don't understand why some people believe that we will need a huge stadium when a survey of the other private FBS programs indicates that that is unlikely to be the case.
You're stuck in SC/RD land. Like I said this is a great sports town and it is an especially great football town. A winning Tulane program will draw a whole hell of a lot more than 22,660. No one has said we need a bigger than 50k on campus stadium. But we do need that to draw the recruits to elevate the program and we need it to host real games.
Maybe, but there are several factors at play concerning attendance that would impact our ability to grow our number, and, once you factor them in, it just seems like we will need to do more than just win in order to build our attendance.

1. Schedule - Our schedule year in and year out is flat out unattractive to a casual college football fan, and, even if we start winning, there are tons of examples of successful G5 teams that don't draw huge crowds (Boise State, Houston [relatively speaking], Northern Illinois, Temple, Cincinnati, etc.) that likely don't draw huge crowds in part because of their Schedule. Houston still brings a crowd, but the coach expressed frustration last year that they were not selling out games even though Houston was so successful. Given these and other examples, the only reasonable conclusion is that causal fans are not interested in the opponents enough to come to all of the home games. This phenomena also happens with some P5 programs, particularly in the ACC (which has the lowest average home attendance of P5 conferences).

2. NFL/LSU - We have to indirectly compete with the Saints and LSU for relevance with the general population, and we need to be realistic about that. Those teams are heavily supported by people that have no affiliation to either because their schedules are solid and their games generally impact the national landscape even when the teams aren't that good. We don't have those luxuries.

3. Local Alumni base - We have a small alumni base, and many of our more successful Alumni over the last few decades leave the area so that leaves fewer alumni in the area who are on the fence about games but would attend if we were winning. In regard to alumni that live outside the region, it's unlikely that many of them would even consider flying in for anything other than homecoming or a huge game (i.e. Oklahoma). Think of it this way - if you lived in Dallas or NYC, would you fly to Nola and pay for a hotel just to see us play UConn? Maybe a couple of our fans do, but not many, and you can bet top dollar that many people fly in for LSU and the Saints.

It's true that we sold out a bunch of games in our first season in Yulman, but the new stadium heavily influenced that. It's unclear whether we can consistently sell it out given our schedule, competition, and scattered alumni. Sure, we can sell out big games (big opponents), but we need to do sell out consistently, and, once we have done that, expansion of the stadium would make sense.
Like I said above you are unfortunately stuck in SC/RD mode of woe is me , we're just little ole Tulane and we can't compete.

As for #1- that's why we need to schedule better and we wil under TD. He gets that the Dome is an asset to be used to draw in big games with LSU and Ole Miss and the like. That's why he's playing UNC in the SKC.

#2- we have competed against them and when we were good we got 40 k consistently I the Dome. Your take is that we might as well quit b/c we just compete. We are going to be good again. The people at Tulane games have always been people that you call unaffiliated. It's a great football town and people want a team to adopt the hometown team.

#3- see #2

It's a new day and TD refuses to be handcuffed by small time thinking. Thank goodness for TD.
Yep. That's the lingering but morping Stockholm Syndrome. Woe is us as a way of life.

The economics of D1A college football are pretty well understood, and NOLA's population being more interested in football than most every other metro area in the country is well documented. If the team is good and the schedule is good, Tulane will be able to draw a lot more than 22K. Dannen is doing more than just upgrading the coaches and scheduling, he's looking at creative ways to engage the national alums.

There are winners in charge now who intend to make Tulane Athletics a success. Relax a little and let them do their jobs. Just don't complain about or bring up the hell that we are no longer in. It was bad enough to have gone through it once.
DfromCT
Tsunami
Posts: 6008
Joined: Tue Dec 27, 2011 1:50 pm
Location: Stamford, CT
Status: Offline

Tue May 03, 2016 7:22 pm

I love how the "Stockholm Syndrome" finger pointers never address the fact that the landscape has dramatically changed since the last time "Tulane was good." Winning by itself won't bring back the generations of fans that have abandoned Tulane. The Dome is going to host maybe 1 or 2 games a decade, WE INVESTED IN AN OCS for many reasons. There's 10x the competition for not only Leisure Time Dollars but plain old Leisure Time than there was in the late 90's. And not for nothing, but few college football programs average over 45k/game these days. The world has changed. It doesn't mean that we cannot be successful, it just means we have to adapt to be successful.
" For every alum, no matter where they are...I want a football coach that's going to make Saturday something you anticipate and look forward to." --Troy Dannen

Thank you all for your support as my son Zach continues to beat leukemia
winwave
Wild Pelican
Posts: 12011
Joined: Sat Jul 16, 2011 10:34 am
Status: Offline

Tue May 03, 2016 9:45 pm

DfromCT wrote:I love how the "Stockholm Syndrome" finger pointers never address the fact that the landscape has dramatically changed since the last time "Tulane was good." Winning by itself won't bring back the generations of fans that have abandoned Tulane. The Dome is going to host maybe 1 or 2 games a decade, WE INVESTED IN AN OCS for many reasons. There's 10x the competition for not only Leisure Time Dollars but plain old Leisure Time than there was in the late 90's. And not for nothing, but few college football programs average over 45k/game these days. The world has changed. It doesn't mean that we cannot be successful, it just means we have to adapt to be successful.
We'll have to agree to disagree. Winning consistently against quality opposition will bring our fans back out. SC/RD BUILT A TINY STADIUM FOR THE WRONG REASONS. WE NOW HAVE AN AD THAT GETS THAT FACILITIES MATTER IN BOTH ATTRACTING QUALITY ATHLETES AND OPPONENTS. HE WILL USE THE DOME AND THE SKC TO OUR ADVANTAGE. MORE IMPORTANTLY WE AS A FAN BASE HAVE TO MAKE IT CLEAR TO HIM THAT WE ARE GOOD WITH HIS PLAN. HE DOESN'T WANT THE PROGRAM HELD BACK BY OUR TINY FACILITIES AND NEITHER SHOULD WE.
Find A Way!
DfromCT
Tsunami
Posts: 6008
Joined: Tue Dec 27, 2011 1:50 pm
Location: Stamford, CT
Status: Offline

Tue May 03, 2016 10:43 pm

NO NEED TO YELL, Win.

I don't like the size of the stadium, and do think it needs to be expanded. But I don't think we're playing many games in the Dome. Nor do I think we need to once Yulman is expanded to say, 40K. The AAC tried to force us to play all conference hoops games in the SKC. Yes, it was RD/SC that fought that, but again, unless it's a big name opponent, I don't see us playing more than 1 or 2 games a year there. I personally would be much more likely to come to New Orleans for a big game in a sold out Yulman than a 35-40K crowd at the Superdome (ie: OU). Likewise, I'd rather be on campus in a packed Fogelman than a half empty SKC. That's me. You may feel differently.

My bigger point in the previous post is that the Stockholm Syndrome claiming group ignores what has changed in the last 20 years. Regardless of where we're playing or how well we're playing, there's a couple of generations of lost fans, and the remaining fans have aSh!tload more options for their leisure time and dollars.
" For every alum, no matter where they are...I want a football coach that's going to make Saturday something you anticipate and look forward to." --Troy Dannen

Thank you all for your support as my son Zach continues to beat leukemia
winwave
Wild Pelican
Posts: 12011
Joined: Sat Jul 16, 2011 10:34 am
Status: Offline

Tue May 03, 2016 10:57 pm

DfromCT wrote:NO NEED TO YELL, Win.

I don't like the size of the stadium, and do think it needs to be expanded. But I don't think we're playing many games in the Dome. Nor do I think we need to once Yulman is expanded to say, 40K. The AAC tried to force us to play all conference hoops games in the SKC. Yes, it was RD/SC that fought that, but again, unless it's a big name opponent, I don't see us playing more than 1 or 2 games a year there. I personally would be much more likely to come to New Orleans for a big game in a sold out Yulman than a 35-40K crowd at the Superdome (ie: OU). Likewise, I'd rather be on campus in a packed Fogelman than a half empty SKC. That's me. You may feel differently.

My bigger point in the previous post is that the Stockholm Syndrome claiming group ignores what has changed in the last 20 years. Regardless of where we're playing or how well we're playing, there's a couple of generations of lost fans, and the remaining fans have aSh!tload more options for their leisure time and dollars.
I was just responding in kind to your use of caps. :)

No one said we will play many games there but it will become a regular thing every season. I say the more the merrier as that means we are doing well on the field and playing good opponents. I had already stated that we wouldn't need to anymore after we expanded. As for conference hoops you don't have the fact straight. SC/RD didn't fight. The conference gave us a probationary year to let the other coaches get a feel. We were so bad and the crowds so dismal they didn't object. You can bet that when MD gets it rolling they will vote that we have to play in the SKC. You won't be coming to NOLA to see a big game in Yulman b/c that isn't going to happen. OU will put a crowd of at least 50k if not more in the Dome. As for Fogelman it's the same thing. Teams worth seeing us against aren't going to sign up to play there. We don't hold all the cards. TD and MD have already said they want to play big time games in a big time venue so those games you want to see will only be played at the SKC. We all wish they could be in Fogelman but the reality is as I pointed out that we have to negotiate to draw big time opponents and thus Dome/SKC here we come.

What you ignore is how much bigger college football is now. Winning football in this town beats out everything else. Not even close.
Find A Way!
exflash
High Tide
Posts: 269
Joined: Mon Nov 04, 2013 9:36 am
Status: Offline

Tue May 03, 2016 11:22 pm

Please move the UL game to the Dome---Can't understand turning down people!!! It makes money for you guys and it is our money!!!
User avatar
ajcalhoun
Swell
Posts: 1858
Joined: Tue Nov 22, 2011 8:42 pm
Status: Offline

Wed May 04, 2016 2:15 am

exflash wrote:Please move the UL game to the Dome---Can't understand turning down people!!! It makes money for you guys and it is our money!!!
Has the game in Yulman sold out already? If not then we haven't turned down anyone.
Welcome to gotula.net, where it's never too late to mention Tanner Lee, Andy Cannizaro, Lindsey Scott Jr., Rich Rodriguez, David Pierce, or, of course, Scott Cowen. You see, no horse here is so dead that it cannot be beaten just a little bit more.
ccap05
High Tide
Posts: 456
Joined: Thu Dec 26, 2013 11:48 am
Status: Offline

Wed May 04, 2016 2:40 am

exflash wrote:Please move the UL game to the Dome---Can't understand turning down people!!! It makes money for you guys and it is our money!!!
Tulane plays its home games in our home stadium. It makes sense if a big name opponent demands a dome game in order to visit NO to play in the dome- however this should be an extreme rarity. It only makes sense to move to the dome in a situation where the demand for tickets will vastly outstrip the capacity at Yulman. This situation is very, very unlikely with the upcoming ULL game.

The ULL (outside of bowl games in years when ULL has a good team) fans do not travel is such numbers as to even give rise to considering a move to a bigger venue. ULL fans certainly did not sell out the SBC basketball tourny held this year in NO and did not travel in great numbers to the ULL/Tulane baseball game at Tulane and there is no reason to believe that this will change for a Tulane football game. Even though ULL may consider the Tulane game to be one of their big games of the year this is not true of Tulane fans- i.e. there is no reason to believe that there will be a huge local demand to see a game against a SBC team.

My suggestion is that ULL fans buy their tickets early to ensure a good seat. They should enjoy a visit to our lovely campus, enjoy the great NO LA restaurants, do some shopping, and soak up the world famous NOLA culture. This is a big game for ULL and the great college atmosphere at Yulman will give ULL fans a true taste of big time football.
Aberzombie1892
Swell
Posts: 1665
Joined: Sat May 31, 2014 8:16 pm
Location: Houston, TX
Status: Offline

Wed May 04, 2016 7:46 am

winwave wrote:
DfromCT wrote:NO NEED TO YELL, Win.

I don't like the size of the stadium, and do think it needs to be expanded. But I don't think we're playing many games in the Dome. Nor do I think we need to once Yulman is expanded to say, 40K. The AAC tried to force us to play all conference hoops games in the SKC. Yes, it was RD/SC that fought that, but again, unless it's a big name opponent, I don't see us playing more than 1 or 2 games a year there. I personally would be much more likely to come to New Orleans for a big game in a sold out Yulman than a 35-40K crowd at the Superdome (ie: OU). Likewise, I'd rather be on campus in a packed Fogelman than a half empty SKC. That's me. You may feel differently.

My bigger point in the previous post is that the Stockholm Syndrome claiming group ignores what has changed in the last 20 years. Regardless of where we're playing or how well we're playing, there's a couple of generations of lost fans, and the remaining fans have aSh!tload more options for their leisure time and dollars.
I was just responding in kind to your use of caps. :)

No one said we will play many games there but it will become a regular thing every season. I say the more the merrier as that means we are doing well on the field and playing good opponents. I had already stated that we wouldn't need to anymore after we expanded. As for conference hoops you don't have the fact straight. SC/RD didn't fight. The conference gave us a probationary year to let the other coaches get a feel. We were so bad and the crowds so dismal they didn't object. You can bet that when MD gets it rolling they will vote that we have to play in the SKC. You won't be coming to NOLA to see a big game in Yulman b/c that isn't going to happen. OU will put a crowd of at least 50k if not more in the Dome. As for Fogelman it's the same thing. Teams worth seeing us against aren't going to sign up to play there. We don't hold all the cards. TD and MD have already said they want to play big time games in a big time venue so those games you want to see will only be played at the SKC. We all wish they could be in Fogelman but the reality is as I pointed out that we have to negotiate to draw big time opponents and thus Dome/SKC here we come.

What you ignore is how much bigger college football is now. Winning football in this town beats out everything else. Not even close.
DfromCT gets what I've been trying to indirectly say. We cannot look to the pre-Power 5/6 period and say, "hey, we used to be able to do X - we should certainly be able to do X again once we start winning a little!" The dynamics of the college football world have changed since that time (TV exposure, TV money, P5/6 classification, huge salaries, fantastic facilities, NFL competition, national relevance, etc.), so looking back at past glories is pointless in terms of gauging our potential for the future. What we can do, however, is look at how G5 programs similar to ours are currently doing and use that as a reasonable benchmark in terms of what our future expectations should be, and, when you do that, things do not appear as rosy as some posters make it out to be. The fact that Boise State/Cincinnati/etc. don't draw huge football crowds given their success is particularly telling.

As a side note for one of my prior points, the issue was never that we couldn't get a big crowd for a big game (big P5 opponent) - that particular point was that our overall schedule isn't attractive enough or relevant enough to consistently sell out games. In regard to the former, for example, I imagine Boise State brings a nice crowd for its P5 games, but its MW games don't move the needle much. In regard to the latter, would a neutral fan whether pay money to come to Tulane to see Tulane vs. SMU or would that fan whether sit on their couch and watch either Texas A&M vs. Arkansas or Baylor score infinite points?
winwave
Wild Pelican
Posts: 12011
Joined: Sat Jul 16, 2011 10:34 am
Status: Offline

Wed May 04, 2016 8:51 am

As I said college football is more popular now than then and this town is more football crazy than ever. The schools you cite never drew like we did. It is however about the past when looking at our fan base. . The losing to terrible teams made people stay home . They are still alive and when we win they will come. We will win under WF. Good Tulane football will draw no matter the opponent.
Find A Way!
lurker123
Swell
Posts: 1300
Joined: Tue Apr 23, 2013 9:01 pm
Status: Offline

Wed May 04, 2016 9:16 am

winwave wrote:As I said college football is more popular now than then and this town is more football crazy than ever. The schools you cite never drew like we did. It is however about the past when looking at our fan base. . The losing to terrible teams made people stay home . They are still alive and when we win they will come. We will win under WF. Good Tulane football will draw no matter the opponent.
WW, All your arguments have merit. However decision makers have gone in a different direction. You need to speak with Dannen. He has been public about this. It's not a secret available only to insiders. We have a home field advantage and moreover better atmosphere with Yulman (and Devlin and GT) and he intends to use it. After UNC game next fall, we will not play off-campus again in any sport except on very rare and special occasions. It could be years before we do it again. So no Dome, no Smoothie King, no Zephyr.

BTW I expect to see us play OU in Yulman. Meanwhile as noted above, let's see if we can justify pushing Yulman to 40,000 and doing something with Devlin.
Aberzombie1892
Swell
Posts: 1665
Joined: Sat May 31, 2014 8:16 pm
Location: Houston, TX
Status: Offline

Wed May 04, 2016 10:28 am

winwave wrote:As I said college football is more popular now than then and this town is more football crazy than ever. The schools you cite never drew like we did. It is however about the past when looking at our fan base. . The losing to terrible teams made people stay home . They are still alive and when we win they will come. We will win under WF. Good Tulane football will draw no matter the opponent.
Of course football is more popular than ever and of course there are football towns, but blaming our losing record as a the primary reason for our inability to consistently fill in seats does not completely pass muster when you compare us to winning G5 teams.

To put it differently, let's look at Cincinnati since it faces most but not all of the challenges that we face and because I'm not sure there is another G5 that is similar enough to us to warrant a direct comparison - they share their market with an NFL team, they are in the G5, they share the state with one high profile P5 (top 10 athletic program), they are in an major urban football town, they are located in a great recruiting state, etc., but they have a much larger enrollment than us and they are actually good at football/basketball. Why isn't Cincinnati consistently selling out it's home games? The Schedule? The Bengals? Ohio State? What about Boise State in general? What about Houston and its historic 2015 season? What about Northern Illinois in general? I read an article that Houston's goal is 20,000 season tickets sold for 2016, and it hasn't hit that yet (although it's getting close) even though the team will almost certainly win at least 8 games in between the coaching staff, the on the field talent, and the schedule. Why do you think that is?
winwave
Wild Pelican
Posts: 12011
Joined: Sat Jul 16, 2011 10:34 am
Status: Offline

Wed May 04, 2016 12:42 pm

lurker123 wrote:
winwave wrote:As I said college football is more popular now than then and this town is more football crazy than ever. The schools you cite never drew like we did. It is however about the past when looking at our fan base. . The losing to terrible teams made people stay home . They are still alive and when we win they will come. We will win under WF. Good Tulane football will draw no matter the opponent.
WW, All your arguments have merit. However decision makers have gone in a different direction. You need to speak with Dannen. He has been public about this. It's not a secret available only to insiders. We have a home field advantage and moreover better atmosphere with Yulman (and Devlin and GT) and he intends to use it. After UNC game next fall, we will not play off-campus again in any sport except on very rare and special occasions. It could be years before we do it again. So no Dome, no Smoothie King, no Zephyr.

BTW I expect to see us play OU in Yulman. Meanwhile as noted above, let's see if we can justify pushing Yulman to 40,000 and doing something with Devlin.
Disagree with you on TD. He does say some things publicly b/c he has to. He can't trash our venues. He's made it clear he will have us playing games at the Dome and SKC. Dunleavy has publicly said he wants to play big time games in big time venues.
Find A Way!
winwave
Wild Pelican
Posts: 12011
Joined: Sat Jul 16, 2011 10:34 am
Status: Offline

Wed May 04, 2016 12:49 pm

Aberzombie1892 wrote:
winwave wrote:As I said college football is more popular now than then and this town is more football crazy than ever. The schools you cite never drew like we did. It is however about the past when looking at our fan base. . The losing to terrible teams made people stay home . They are still alive and when we win they will come. We will win under WF. Good Tulane football will draw no matter the opponent.
Of course football is more popular than ever and of course there are football towns, but blaming our losing record as a the primary reason for our inability to consistently fill in seats does not completely pass muster when you compare us to winning G5 teams.

To put it differently, let's look at Cincinnati since it faces most but not all of the challenges that we face and because I'm not sure there is another G5 that is similar enough to us to warrant a direct comparison - they share their market with an NFL team, they are in the G5, they share the state with one high profile P5 (top 10 athletic program), they are in an major urban football town, they are located in a great recruiting state, etc., but they have a much larger enrollment than us and they are actually good at football/basketball. Why isn't Cincinnati consistently selling out it's home games? The Schedule? The Bengals? Ohio State? What about Boise State in general? What about Houston and its historic 2015 season? What about Northern Illinois in general? I read an article that Houston's goal is 20,000 season tickets sold for 2016, and it hasn't hit that yet (although it's getting close) even though the team will almost certainly win at least 8 games in between the coaching staff, the on the field talent, and the schedule. Why do you think that is?
We will have to agree to disagree about Tulane's losing being the major cause for the attendance issues. No one had lost like us for that long and against such weak competition.

Cincy is a basketball school plain and simple. Houston will draw if they keep doing it consistently.

This thread is about future OOC scheduling. The bottom line is that to improve it we will be using the Dome.
Find A Way!
Post Reply