Future OOC Football Schedule/Games

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
Highwave
Low Tide

DrBox wrote:
Highwave wrote:Btw, I'm one of the few proponents of a TU-ULL rivalry. Think it's a natural replacement for TU-LSU until TU gets serious about athletics.
I think the opposite.
If we ever got serious about athletics then I'd be okay with scheduling them once in a while.

But in this period where we are clowning around, that will just smother us. We need to keep our head above water.
Fair concern- a rivalry with a Sun Belt team certainly would not help much in terms of getting where we need to be. I guess I was thinking of it more as a 'fun' rivalry - competitive games (for now), spirited fanbase (a la LSU), and geographically makes sense. Also, I don't think such a rivalry would necessarily hold us back - Ole Miss-Memphis and Miami-FIU are just a couple examples of upper vs. lower tier rivalries. Besides, playing ULL annually sure beats playing SLU, IMHO.

jonathanjoseph
Green Wave

sader24 wrote:ULL would bring 10 and AT the VERY BEST 15K for a regular season game in New Orleans vs. Tulane. There is a history of Tulane-USL/ULL games to draw from. I've never seen them bring over 15K for a game in the Dome minus the Bowl game and I've seen them bring less than 5k several times and a few hundred once. Some of you are really exaggerating what ULL would travel in a regular season game.
They've never had a good program and neither have we. If both programs are playing well (as we were both in 2013), I think 20K Cajun fans would make it a weekend in NOLA.

Also, the idea that a low-level "bowl" game creates some kind of attendance panacea is a little off. The destination (NOLA) matters a lot more than the context of the game (bowl). You think 30K ULL fans would have travelled to say, Dallas or Houston, for a bowl game?
jonathanjoseph
Green Wave

DrBox wrote:
Highwave wrote:Btw, I'm one of the few proponents of a TU-ULL rivalry. Think it's a natural replacement for TU-LSU until TU gets serious about athletics.
I think the opposite.
If we ever got serious about athletics then I'd be okay with scheduling them once in a while.

But in this period where we are clowning around, that will just smother us. We need to keep our head above water.
Correct. We must play the part of cowards thanks to our leadership that is getting smoked by ULL's leadership. We shouldn't do anything that helps legitimize ULL as they are doing a perfectly good job of that on their own. Keeping our head above water is the correct analogy.
cajunfanatico
Swell

Highwave wrote:
exflash wrote:Wait --so we can bring say an extra 10K at $25 per ticket and you say no dome???
Slow your roll big boy. You don't even get 20k to cajun field on a regular basis.
For the record, in 2014 we averaged 25,775 per game at Cajun Field which led the Sunbelt. One of those games, Arkansas State was a Tuesday night affair that still managed 21,760. And before someone makes the claim that all FBS programs pad their attendance figures, the Cajun program reports only tickets scanned at the gate and does not throw in all season tickets sold.

http://www.ragincajuns.com/cumestats.as ... &year=2014
ajcalhoun: Nobody here gives a flying fuck about UL-L and the Sunbelt Conference.
DrBox
Riptide

jonathanjoseph wrote:
DrBox wrote:
I think the opposite.

Correct. We must play the part of cowards thanks to our leadership that is getting smoked by ULL's leadership. We shouldn't do anything that helps legitimize ULL as they are doing a perfectly good job of that on their own. Keeping our head above water is the correct analogy.
It has nothing to do with legitimizing ULL. ULL - legitimate or not - doesn't affect us at all. (ULL is limited by its academic and institutional mission). It has to do with de-legitimizing ourselves by playing low-cost games instead of the games that can best help us.
Their leadership isn't doing anything special (and really less than ours), other than they hired a good football coach. They borrowed money to fix up their stadium (and not via using the University's tax exempt bond mechanisms), play in a city-owned basketball facility, etc.
The most impressive thing that came out of ULL is their fans - they were as dormant as ours and came out of the woodwork once the Ws started. It helped that they kept prices low (too low really) and a lot of the attendees are non-revenue students and low-revenue guests, but they are showing up.
cajunfanatico
Swell

play in a city-owned basketball facility
The facility is a recognizable Lafayette landmark that was built by the State of Louisiana, funded by the City of Lafayette, and is owned by the University of Louisiana at Lafayette and managed by the Cajundome Commission

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cajundome
ajcalhoun: Nobody here gives a flying fuck about UL-L and the Sunbelt Conference.
jonathanjoseph
Green Wave

DrBox wrote:
jonathanjoseph wrote:
DrBox wrote:
I think the opposite.

It has nothing to do with legitimizing ULL. ULL - legitimate or not - doesn't affect us at all. (ULL is limited by its academic and institutional mission). It has to do with de-legitimizing ourselves by playing low-cost games instead of the games that can best help us.
Their leadership isn't doing anything special (and really less than ours), other than they hired a good football coach. They borrowed money to fix up their stadium (and not via using the University's tax exempt bond mechanisms), play in a city-owned basketball facility, etc.
The most impressive thing that came out of ULL is their fans - they were as dormant as ours and came out of the woodwork once the Ws started. It helped that they kept prices low (too low really) and a lot of the attendees are non-revenue students and low-revenue guests, but they are showing up.
I think it's both. ULL's leadership is absolutely being proactive in trying to build their athletic program and it's directly related to the void being left by Tulane's leadership. Being the second best program in LA is of great value, and that's exactly why they are trying to brand themselves "University of Louisiana". You can't tell me their leadership is doing less than ours. Not by a long shot.
JerseyWave
Riptide

Fitts is close to completing his first academic year as President of Tulane and as far as I know he has done nothing to put his stamp on the University. Has he made any big hires in the upper level management of Tulane? Any changes with the way the school is ran? They did admit to operating with $20 million deficit, but that's from the Cowen era. So far its business as usual at Tulane, which means zero accountability for any one in an influential position.
jonathanjoseph
Green Wave

JerseyWave wrote:Fitts is close to completing his first academic year as President of Tulane and as far as I know he has done nothing to put his stamp on the University. Has he made any big hires in the upper level management of Tulane? Any changes with the way the school is ran? They did admit to operating with $20 million deficit, but that's from the Cowen era. So far its business as usual at Tulane, which means zero accountability for any one in an influential position.
There hasn't been any sign of accountability for well over a decade.

Fitts hasn't even opened his mouth yet much less made any apparent decisions. I say apparent, because it wouldn't surprise me if he's spending a good deal of his time on the budget deficit. He did make a point to disclose the deficit, which was very intentionally and inappropriately concealed. But hey that massive public and obvious example of malfeasance will just get swept under the rug.

Given that I predicted this would happen, I still couldn't have expected him to come in and look this feckless.
DrBox
Riptide

jonathanjoseph wrote: I think it's both. ULL's leadership is absolutely being proactive in trying to build their athletic program and it's directly related to the void being left by Tulane's leadership. Being the second best program in LA is of great value, and that's exactly why they are trying to brand themselves "University of Louisiana". You can't tell me their leadership is doing less than ours. Not by a long shot.
I've told you want they have done - hired a good football coach, and put some money into fixing up their stadium. Oh, and their fans woke up and attended games when they started winning (imagine that. Did you know that fans can actually attend games and donate to the program??). "University of La" has gotten nowhere and never will until the legislature officially changes their name, which it will never do.
You know what ULL's success, such as it is, demonstrates? The power of a competent football coach and fans who are willing to go to games. Those things alone can overcome a lot of administrative mismanagement.
Instead, people try to tell us that the "Tulane Model" caused the 3 win seasons, when it did no such thing. It's Tulane fault that our baseball program cratered. Cowen wanted us in C-USA, they preached, when it's been obvious that he wanted us out of that league (even when he was working almost solo, with extreme little support from C-USA, on the MWC alliance, we were told that he was happy with the status quo). (BTW, the ULL leadership has been so stout that they remain in the sunbelt, despite numerous of their peers getting out).
Cowen is culpable for the review and not properly funding Tulane sports and for tolerating Dickson. But that didn't cause 3 win football seasons. Dickson is the culprit there, with his series of poor hires and not holding hires accountable.
But winning some football games, winning some basketball games and the fans responding would help a lot as well. I'd love to see us establish a baseline of competence, which we could do simply with a couple of good coaches.
jonathanjoseph
Green Wave

DrBox wrote:
jonathanjoseph wrote: I think it's both. ULL's leadership is absolutely being proactive in trying to build their athletic program and it's directly related to the void being left by Tulane's leadership. Being the second best program in LA is of great value, and that's exactly why they are trying to brand themselves "University of Louisiana". You can't tell me their leadership is doing less than ours. Not by a long shot.
I've told you want they have done - hired a good football coach, and put some money into fixing up their stadium. Oh, and their fans woke up and attended games when they started winning (imagine that. Did you know that fans can actually attend games and donate to the program??). "University of La" has gotten nowhere and never will until the legislature officially changes their name, which it will never do.
You know what ULL's success, such as it is, demonstrates? The power of a competent football coach and fans who are willing to go to games. Those things alone can overcome a lot of administrative mismanagement.
Instead, people try to tell us that the "Tulane Model" caused the 3 win seasons, when it did no such thing. It's Tulane fault that our baseball program cratered. Cowen wanted us in C-USA, they preached, when it's been obvious that he wanted us out of that league (even when he was working almost solo, with extreme little support from C-USA, on the MWC alliance, we were told that he was happy with the status quo). (BTW, the ULL leadership has been so stout that they remain in the sunbelt, despite numerous of their peers getting out).
Cowen is culpable for the review and not properly funding Tulane sports and for tolerating Dickson. But that didn't cause 3 win football seasons. Dickson is the culprit there, with his series of poor hires and not holding hires accountable.
But winning some football games, winning some basketball games and the fans responding would help a lot as well. I'd love to see us establish a baseline of competence, which we could do simply with a couple of good coaches.

We have a sub forum full of pictures of all the facilities they are building. They have become a perennial bowl contender under Hudspeth, have made March Madness and just had a player drafted in the lottery for basketball and their baseball program reached the top 10. They have a marketing campaign (UL) that matches their facilities ambition to be competitive nationally. To be honest, they've made a remarkable amount of headway in building their program in the last 5 years. Will it be successful in the long run? I don't know but I know that if they merely become the 2nd best athletic program in LA then they will achieve a decent level of success.

Your analysis of the Tulane Model is incorrect. Cowen "tolerated" Dickson? Does Fitts "tolerate" Dickson too or is that just a coincidence? It's a damn shame that Tulane fans cannot see what has been going on in front of their face for 15 years now. Sure a good coach could overcome the Tulane Model in theory, but since no good coach is willing to try we're stuck. You don't seem to understand that there is an answer to the chicken or the egg here.
DrBox
Riptide

jonathanjoseph wrote:
Your analysis of the Tulane Model is incorrect. Cowen "tolerated" Dickson? Does Fitts "tolerate" Dickson too or is that just a coincidence? It's a damn shame that Tulane fans cannot see what has been going on in front of their face for 15 years now. Sure a good coach could overcome the Tulane Model in theory, but since no good coach is willing to try we're stuck. You don't seem to understand that there is an answer to the chicken or the egg here.
Good lord no one denies the culpability of Dickson and Cowen. It's just that many prefer to evaluate based on facts and are nuanced in analysis, rather than acting like Ahab.
It's also a damn shame that so many of our fans won't buy a ticket or give a nickel.
ULL has been using "U of La" since the 1980s. They hired a position coach from Miss State, who turned out to be a good head coach (credit to their AD and Pres for proper evaluation). They've had a good baseball program for 20 years and made the CWS the year before we did. They haven't made the NCAAs in men's hoops as an at large since the early 1980s. Those are a few more facts for you. And their fans bought tickets.
jonathanjoseph
Green Wave

DrBox wrote:
jonathanjoseph wrote:
Good lord no one denies the culpability of Dickson and Cowen. It's just that many prefer to evaluate based on facts and are nuanced in analysis, rather than acting like Ahab.
It's also a damn shame that so many of our fans won't buy a ticket or give a nickel.
ULL has been using "U of La" since the 1980s. They hired a position coach from Miss State, who turned out to be a good head coach (credit to their AD and Pres for proper evaluation). They've had a good baseball program for 20 years and made the CWS the year before we did. They haven't made the NCAAs in men's hoops as an at large since the early 1980s. Those are a few more facts for you. And their fans bought tickets.
What facts are you referring to? Is it the wins and losses or the attendance or the P&L, any of which individually would rank Dickson among the worst athletic directors in the history of college athletics? Do you think it's just bad luck that Dickson keeps his job? Or is there a systematic and institutionalized corruption that allows repeat losers like Dickson complete professional immunity?

Please explain to me these facts.

Also, the facts are pretty clear that fans buy tickets when the team is winning. Since we're on the topic of facts.
cajunfanatico
Swell

DrBox wrote:
I've told you want they have done - hired a good football coach, and put some money into fixing up their stadium.
Put some money into fixing up their stadium? Come on Dr. B, you make it sound like paint and wallpaper.:lol:

Seriously, in my humble opinion, hiring Hud was far more than just hiring a good football coach. From what I understand, (and I have no first-hand knowledge of this) early on in the process Hud sat down with university leadership and laid out his ideas on how to take the entire Cajun athletic program to the next level. This was something he believed needed to be done therefore his ideas involved much more than just the football program, stretching as far as fund raising. Hud requested assurances from the university leadership that they were serious about such a plan and ultimately got those assurances. An agreement was reached, Hud was hired, and the work got started.

Today there´s a Master Plan in place that includes the following projects

Cajun Athletic Complex Projects

Athletics Performance Center (construction in progress)
Renovations to M.L. Tigue Moore Baseball Field Grandstand (planned)
Basketball Practice Facility (planned)
Stadium Expansion to 36,000 seats (South End Zone Enclosure & Seating Expansion - completed)
Stadium Press Box Renovation & Expansion (planned)
Westside Athletic Office Complex attached to Cajun Field (planned)
Culotta Tennis Center (planned)
Track & Soccer Facility (consturction in progress)

Off-site Athletic Projects

Academic Center (planned)
Upgrades to Earl K. Long Gymnasium (planned)
Golf Facility (planned)

http://www.ragincajuns.com/sports/2013/ ... px?id=5706

When Hud leaves the Cajun program, he should be leaving behind an athletic program light years ahead of where it was when he found it and one that is in such a position that the next in line can continue where his work ended. I couldn´t ask for more and, to me, that shows the quality of the current leadership in place at the university.
DrBox wrote:(BTW, the ULL leadership has been so stout that they remain in the sunbelt, despite numerous of their peers getting out).
This is an interesting topic of conversation and one where I´m at odds with the great majority of Cajun fans as most Cajun fans want out of the SunBelt. While I would have no problem seeing the Cajuns move to better conference digs, I´m just not certain that at this time a move to a conference such as C-USA would be worth the expense. I believe we´re talking about a $1MM exit fee from the SunBelt and a $2MM entrance fee for C-USA. That´s a lot of dough. Yes, I know, perception, etc, it´s just that I think the Belt is underrated and poised to perform equally as well or better than C-USA on the football field.
jonathanjoseph
Green Wave

cajunfanatico wrote:
Seriously, in my humble opinion, hiring Hud was far more than just hiring a good football coach. From what I understand, (and I have no first-hand knowledge of this) early on in the process Hud sat down with university leadership and laid out his ideas on how to take the entire Cajun athletic program to the next level. This was something he believed needed to be done therefore his ideas involved much more than just the football program, stretching as far as fund raising. Hud requested assurances from the university leadership that they were serious about such a plan and ultimately got those assurances. An agreement was reached, Hud was hired, and the work got started.
And this is, in a nutshell, why Dr Box doesn't understand the problem. ULL wanted an aggressive program builder. Hudspeth said "here's what I need to make this successful" and ULL leadership agreed.

At Tulane, no good coaches will even consider coming because Scott Cowen, who knows nothing about college athletics, insists on personally involving himself in negotiations and not only says "no you won't get what you want" but also "and here's how we do it at Tulane with our Tulane Model". Dickson is just his yes-man caddie.

Plenty of good coaching candidates would come to Tulane if they were allowed to build the program they want to build. Cowen/Dickson only want to hire coaches who will build the program Cowen/Dickson want, which the public has already rejected, the alumni have rejected and coaching prospects have rejected.
nawlinspete
Riptide

for Dannen to build the future OOC FB schedule ? Almost daily FootballSchedules.com reports desirable P5 teams scheduling lesser teams to home and homes. These P5 slots are not unlimited. Our AD needs to announce who he's scheduled or get us scheduled if he's put this responsibility on the back burner.
President Fitts , B of A , it's put up or forever hold your peace time . Make Tulane ATHLETICS relevant and top 30 again .
Aberzombie1892
Swell

nawlinspete wrote:for Dannen to build the future OOC FB schedule ? Almost daily FootballSchedules.com reports desirable P5 teams scheduling lesser teams to home and homes. These P5 slots are not unlimited. Our AD needs to announce who he's scheduled or get us scheduled if he's put this responsibility on the back burner.
He's probably looking for home and home situations, and I imagine they are hard to come by. I mean, aside from GaTech, what P5 school has us scheduled for a home and home (or 2 home/2 away) in the future or the last few years? At least we have at least one P5 scheduled every year between now and 2025 except for 2022. If it came down to it, I suppose we could just play some 1 for 0s just for the exposure.
waveprof
Ripple

Aberzombie1892 wrote:
He's probably looking for home and home situations, and I imagine they are hard to come by. I mean, aside from GaTech, what P5 school has us scheduled for a home and home (or 2 home/2 away) in the future or the last few years? At least we have at least one P5 scheduled every year between now and 2025 except for 2022. If it came down to it, I suppose we could just play some 1 for 0s just for the exposure.
Your overall point IS correct, but to answer your direct question, Ole Miss which originally signed a 2/2 and later amended it to 3/2 in our favor.
jonathanjoseph
Green Wave

nawlinspete wrote:for Dannen to build the future OOC FB schedule ? Almost daily FootballSchedules.com reports desirable P5 teams scheduling lesser teams to home and homes. These P5 slots are not unlimited. Our AD needs to announce who he's scheduled or get us scheduled if he's put this responsibility on the back burner.
At this point, any criticism of the AD is out of line. It's not possible for him to have had more impact so far, so complaining about things that haven't happened yet is silly, especially since we are talking about things that are years off into the future. His idiot predecessor left the precedent that we accept 2 or 3 for 1's against lower level P5s.
Show Me
Tsunami

jonathanjoseph wrote:
At this point, any criticism of the AD is out of line. It's not possible for him to have had more impact so far, so complaining about things that haven't happened yet is silly, especially since we are talking about things that are years off into the future. His idiot predecessor left the precedent that we accept 2 or 3 for 1's against lower level P5s.
+1
It's just Pete trolling again and hoping TD fails.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

waveprof wrote:
Aberzombie1892 wrote:
Your overall point IS correct, but to answer your direct question, Ole Miss which originally signed a 2/2 and later amended it to 3/2 in our favor.
Was that really amended in our favor, or was the third game one that was owed from a previous contract?
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
waveprof
Ripple

DfromCT wrote:
Was that really amended in our favor, or was the third game one that was owed from a previous contract?
It was amended in our favor. It was RD's best scheduling coup. Heck, it was his only really good scheduling coup period other than the LSU series (which he then let himself get pushed around in an then pushed out of) and Oklahoma (which came at the very end of his tenure, and happened because of connections he had, not that there is anything wrong with using connections).

Ole Miss was, originally, (from Tulane's perspective) H/A/H/A. We then agreed to alter it to H/H/A/A to accommodate Ole Miss. Then, after both H games were played we let them move the date back on one of the Away games. THEN they approached us about moving the date back on the other away game, we agreed but insisted they add another home game to make up for it, sandwiched between the two Away games. Ole Miss fans like traveling to New Orleans anyway, and they recruit down here (or like to think they do), so they agreed.

It was good a good scheduling move. So good it makes me think someone else's hands (Burke's?) were involved.

3/2's aginst P5s don't happen this day in age, even with the extraordinary circumstances that helped us do it. Too bad that by the time it happened we were all so upset about all of the myriad examples of BAD scheduling that we barely noticed. But that's what happens when you hide one good move among a hundred bad ones.
JerseyWave
Riptide

jonathanjoseph wrote:
His idiot predecessor thought it was a good idea to cancel an away game at Miss St and replace it with a game in Foxboro against UMass.
sader24
Tsunami

waveprof wrote:
DfromCT wrote:
It was amended in our favor. It was RD's best scheduling coup. Heck, it was his only really good scheduling coup period other than the LSU series (which he then let himself get pushed around in an then pushed out of) and Oklahoma (which came at the very end of his tenure, and happened because of connections he had, not that there is anything wrong with using connections).

Ole Miss was, originally, (from Tulane's perspective) H/A/H/A. We then agreed to alter it to H/H/A/A to accommodate Ole Miss. Then, after both H games were played we let them move the date back on one of the Away games. THEN they approached us about moving the date back on the other away game, we agreed but insisted they add another home game to make up for it, sandwiched between the two Away games. Ole Miss fans like traveling to New Orleans anyway, and they recruit down here (or like to think they do), so they agreed.

It was good a good scheduling move. So good it makes me think someone else's hands (Burke's?) were involved.

3/2's aginst P5s don't happen this day in age, even with the extraordinary circumstances that helped us do it. Too bad that by the time it happened we were all so upset about all of the myriad examples of BAD scheduling that we barely noticed. But that's what happens when you hide one good move among a hundred bad ones.
I went to Ole Miss for a year and have a decent amount of friends who have graduated from there that live across the South. I was surprised to find out when I was up there that not only did their fans value the "rivalry" with Tulane bc we had been playing so long, but a healthy majority of their fans considered New Orleans their favorite road trip. There are a large number of Ole Miss alums from Nola and they draw a good amount of kids from the New Orleans Catholic and Private schools.
Aberzombie1892
Swell

sader24 wrote:
waveprof wrote:
DfromCT wrote:

I went to Ole Miss for a year and have a decent amount of friends who have graduated from there that live across the South. I was surprised to find out when I was up there that not only did their fans value the "rivalry" with Tulane bc we had been playing so long, but a healthy majority of their fans considered New Orleans their favorite road trip. There are a large number of Ole Miss alums from Nola and they draw a good amount of kids from the New Orleans Catholic and Private schools.
True, but unless the Ole Miss fans are willing to stick it to the Ole Miss athletic fund over playing in Nola, we can probably kiss the 1 for 1 agreements with Ol

e Miss and pretty much all of the rest of SEC goodbye. On that note, it's not even worth it to do a 2 for 1 with so so P5s - if we can't get a top 30ish program, it's not worth it.