Future OOC Football Schedule/Games

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

Dunleavy very clearly said at his intro press conference that he thinks Fogleman/Devlin is an asset and he looks forward to making it a tough home court advantage, a place that opponents fear.

And we will agree to disagree about how popular college football is. Sure, the LSU vs. Alabama type games on prime time network TV get ratings. But the playoff this past year saw ratings plummet despite an epic championship game. ESPN lost $20 million in guaranteed ad revenue. That doesn't sound like a sport (college football) that's nearly as healthy as some like to think.

At the same time, G5 vs. P5 games aren't getting the ratings the same teams playing were getting 20 years ago. Why not? Because there's 24-30 other games on the same day competing for attention and dollars. There's dozens of other activities and sporting events that didn't exist doing the same. Yes, New Orleans may love football, and may love college football, but 20 years of lousy football has allowed two generations of fans to grow up not rooting or even caring about Tulane football.

To not consider how many alternatives now compete for attention and dollars is simply putting your head in the sand.

" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
nawlinspete
Riptide

winwave wrote:
DfromCT wrote:I love how the "Stockholm Syndrome" finger pointers never address the fact that the landscape has dramatically changed since the last time "Tulane was good." Winning by itself won't bring back the generations of fans that have abandoned Tulane. The Dome is going to host maybe 1 or 2 games a decade, WE INVESTED IN AN OCS for many reasons. There's 10x the competition for not only Leisure Time Dollars but plain old Leisure Time than there was in the late 90's. And not for nothing, but few college football programs average over 45k/game these days. The world has changed. It doesn't mean that we cannot be successful, it just means we have to adapt to be successful.
We'll have to agree to disagree. Winning consistently against quality opposition will bring our fans back out. SC/RD BUILT A TINY STADIUM FOR THE WRONG REASONS. WE NOW HAVE AN AD THAT GETS THAT FACILITIES MATTER IN BOTH ATTRACTING QUALITY ATHLETES AND OPPONENTS. HE WILL USE THE DOME AND THE SKC TO OUR ADVANTAGE. MORE IMPORTANTLY WE AS A FAN BASE HAVE TO MAKE IT CLEAR TO HIM THAT WE ARE GOOD WITH HIS PLAN. HE DOESN'T WANT THE PROGRAM HELD BACK BY OUR TINY FACILITIES AND NEITHER SHOULD WE.
For us to improve our attendance and our W - L record Winwave is spot on. All angles must be played. Beating ULaLa and SMU will not expand our fanbase. We must play, and win, against teams football fans know and respect and to do that we must use the MBSD as often as possible; or, said another way we must schedule NAMES and win against names. Applies to MBB at SKC too.
President Fitts , B of A , it's put up or forever hold your peace time . Make Tulane ATHLETICS relevant and top 30 again .
lurker123
Swell

winwave wrote:
lurker123 wrote:
winwave wrote:As I said college football is more popular now than then and this town is more football crazy than ever. The schools you cite never drew like we did. It is however about the past when looking at our fan base. . The losing to terrible teams made people stay home . They are still alive and when we win they will come. We will win under WF. Good Tulane football will draw no matter the opponent.
WW, All your arguments have merit. However decision makers have gone in a different direction. You need to speak with Dannen. He has been public about this. It's not a secret available only to insiders. We have a home field advantage and moreover better atmosphere with Yulman (and Devlin and GT) and he intends to use it. After UNC game next fall, we will not play off-campus again in any sport except on very rare and special occasions. It could be years before we do it again. So no Dome, no Smoothie King, no Zephyr.

BTW I expect to see us play OU in Yulman. Meanwhile as noted above, let's see if we can justify pushing Yulman to 40,000 and doing something with Devlin.
Disagree with you on TD. He does say some things publicly b/c he has to. He can't trash our venues. He's made it clear he will have us playing games at the Dome and SKC. Dunleavy has publicly said he wants to play big time games in big time venues.
OK. You're a sporting man and so am I. I bet that Tulane will not play a "home" game off campus through 2021 season except for UNC game in Smoothie King next fall which is already scheduled. Tulane may play a neutral site game or two at one of the venues if sponsored by say the Sugar Bowl or some similar entity like an NCAA tournament. It will not be a contracted home game for Tulane disguised as a "neutral" one so I'm not crawfishing on you.

That's a six year window not a smoke screen.

If I lose I will make a significant contribution to TAF. You can do the same or perhaps just bring a friend to a home game. I'm ok with that as your donations are your business.

This specifically means Tulane will host OU in Yulman in 2021 season.

Candidly the only way I lose this bet is if Tulane joins the Big XII and it requires as a condition that Tulane move some conference games downtown. I'd be more than happy to lose to fulfill that requirement.

BTW, Dannen speaks the same in private as he does in public. Very refreshing.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

DfromCT wrote:Dunleavy very clearly said at his intro press conference that he thinks Fogleman/Devlin is an asset and he looks forward to making it a tough home court advantage, a place that opponents fear.

And we will agree to disagree about how popular college football is. Sure, the LSU vs. Alabama type games on prime time network TV get ratings. But the playoff this past year saw ratings plummet despite an epic championship game. ESPN lost $20 million in guaranteed ad revenue. That doesn't sound like a sport (college football) that's nearly as healthy as some like to think.

At the same time, G5 vs. P5 games aren't getting the ratings the same teams playing were getting 20 years ago. Why not? Because there's 24-30 other games on the same day competing for attention and dollars. There's dozens of other activities and sporting events that didn't exist doing the same. Yes, New Orleans may love football, and may love college football, but 20 years of lousy football has allowed two generations of fans to grow up not rooting or even caring about Tulane football.

To not consider how many alternatives now compete for attention and dollars is simply putting your head in the sand.
Dunleavy said that then went on to say he wants to play big time games in big time venues. That was the whole of his comment on the issue. He can't trash Fogelman but it is burying your head in the sand if you don't see the issues w/such a tiny venue. Luckily he and TD see it the same way.

The playoffs lost ratings b/c they gave in to the Rose Bowl and thus played those games on New Years Eve. Who didn't know the ratings would plummet.

Football rules over any other event. Plus at that time of year all the Festivals are done with. a good reason for that is b/c football rules here. a good, well coached Tulane team will draw.
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

lurker123 wrote:
winwave wrote:
lurker123 wrote:
winwave wrote:As I said college football is more popular now than then and this town is more football crazy than ever. The schools you cite never drew like we did. It is however about the past when looking at our fan base. . The losing to terrible teams made people stay home . They are still alive and when we win they will come. We will win under WF. Good Tulane football will draw no matter the opponent.
WW, All your arguments have merit. However decision makers have gone in a different direction. You need to speak with Dannen. He has been public about this. It's not a secret available only to insiders. We have a home field advantage and moreover better atmosphere with Yulman (and Devlin and GT) and he intends to use it. After UNC game next fall, we will not play off-campus again in any sport except on very rare and special occasions. It could be years before we do it again. So no Dome, no Smoothie King, no Zephyr.

BTW I expect to see us play OU in Yulman. Meanwhile as noted above, let's see if we can justify pushing Yulman to 40,000 and doing something with Devlin.
Disagree with you on TD. He does say some things publicly b/c he has to. He can't trash our venues. He's made it clear he will have us playing games at the Dome and SKC. Dunleavy has publicly said he wants to play big time games in big time venues.
OK. You're a sporting man and so am I. I bet that Tulane will not play a "home" game off campus through 2021 season except for UNC game in Smoothie King next fall which is already scheduled. Tulane may play a neutral site game or two at one of the venues if sponsored by say the Sugar Bowl or some similar entity like an NCAA tournament. It will not be a contracted home game for Tulane disguised as a "neutral" one so I'm not crawfishing on you.

If I lose I will make a significant contribution to TAF. You can do the same or perhaps just bring a friend to a home game. I'm ok with that as your donations are your business.

Candidly the only way I lose this bet is if Tulane joins the Big XII and it requires as a condition that Tulane move some conference games downtown. I'd be more than happy to lose to fulfill that requirement.

You're on . The only way we don't play such a game on campus is if WF turns out to be a bust and we can't attract god opponents. That's also the only way OU gets played on campus. The AD's at OU and Ole Miss are going to have 20,000 wanting tickets. They are not going to face their fans and say I only have 2,000 tickets to sell.

We must be privy to different private conversations w/regards to TD. He's made it abundantly clear he wants LSU on the schedule and in the Dome. In one of those conversations someone said LSU owes a home game and you need to get them in Yulman. He laughed and said it will be in the Dome.
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

I'll remind all again that this thread is about OOC scheduling in the future. The point is that to get good teams to play here we'll have to get good and play in the Dome. TD is fine w/that and so am I.
jonathanjoseph
Green Wave

DfromCT wrote:I love how the "Stockholm Syndrome" finger pointers never address the fact that the landscape has dramatically changed since the last time "Tulane was good." Winning by itself won't bring back the generations of fans that have abandoned Tulane. The Dome is going to host maybe 1 or 2 games a decade, WE INVESTED IN AN OCS for many reasons. There's 10x the competition for not only Leisure Time Dollars but plain old Leisure Time than there was in the late 90's. And not for nothing, but few college football programs average over 45k/game these days. The world has changed. It doesn't mean that we cannot be successful, it just means we have to adapt to be successful.
Well, technically, you are wrong. There's a pretty direct correlation between winning and attendance in sports. The people of New Orleans and Louisiana have proven to watch college football more than other metro markets.

As you pointed out, things have changed and our alums are dispersed nationally. If we simply had our alums watching games on TV on Saturdays and 35K in attendance, we'd be doing better than many P5s. Dannen is working on ways to engage the national alums. We don't need to average over 45K. If we averaged 35K, it would be fine. The problem is that averaging 35K is already very problematic with Yulman. As I've said for years, don't be surprised if/when we end up back in the Dome.
jonathanjoseph
Green Wave

DfromCT wrote:Dunleavy very clearly said at his intro press conference that he thinks Fogleman/Devlin is an asset and he looks forward to making it a tough home court advantage, a place that opponents fear.

There are extremes here. There is LSU vs Alabama. There are the playoff games. And then there are "average college football games".

When I say average, I don't mean UAB vs Old Dominion. I mean something like Syracuse vs Pitt. Those games still draw ratings that are better than most every other form of content on TV, and are required to be viewed in real time which makes the ad inventory more valuable.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

winwave wrote:
Dunleavy said that then went on to say he wants to play big time games in big time venues. That was the whole of his comment on the issue. He can't trash Fogelman but it is burying your head in the sand if you don't see the issues w/such a tiny venue. Luckily he and TD see it the same way.

The playoffs lost ratings b/c they gave in to the Rose Bowl and thus played those games on New Years Eve. Who didn't know the ratings would plummet.

Football rules over any other event. Plus at that time of year all the Festivals are done with. a good reason for that is b/c football rules here. a good, well coached Tulane team will draw.
The Championship game, played on the same Monday night as the previous year, saw ratings plummet by more than 20% despite a thrilling 60 minutes of highly competitive football. The Duke vs Wisconsin basketball championship 10 months earlier drew 3 million more TV viewers.

I have never said that the venues on campus are adequate for big time events. I've simply repeated that the times have changed dramatically in the 20 (ok 18) years since Tulane Football was relevant. To argue that is ludicrous. I'm done, you can type away and have the last word. But again, I think it's whistling past the graveyard to ignore what's happened to our culture. Sports fans have way more choices than they used to, and many kids these days don't even watch the traditional sports.

I like Lurker's proposition. He's stepping up and putting his money on the line. I'd do so as well, but frankly have other priorities for what little disposable income I have.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

jonathanjoseph wrote:
There are extremes here. There is LSU vs Alabama. There are the playoff games. And then there are "average college football games".

When I say average, I don't mean UAB vs Old Dominion. I mean something like Syracuse vs Pitt. Those games still draw ratings that are better than most every other form of content on TV, and are required to be viewed in real time which makes the ad inventory more valuable.

Syracuse vs. Pitt would maybe draw a 1 rating Last season week 8 (I picked one randomly) the two highest rated games were Tennessee vs Alabama (4.3) and Ohio St. vs. Rutgers (3.0) Both were on Network TV, the later on ABC in Prime Time.

OK, I looked it up. In 2014 (couldn't find last year) Syracuse vs. Pitt drew a zero point one rating. On ESPNU, the game had 138,000 viewers.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

DfromCT wrote:
winwave wrote:

The Championship game, played on the same Monday night as the previous year, saw ratings plummet by more than 20% despite a thrilling 60 minutes of highly competitive football. The Duke vs Wisconsin basketball championship 10 months earlier drew 3 million more TV viewers.

I have never said that the venues on campus are adequate for big time events. I've simply repeated that the times have changed dramatically in the 20 (ok 18) years since Tulane Football was relevant. To argue that is ludicrous. I'm done, you can type away and have the last word. But again, I think it's whistling past the graveyard to ignore what's happened to our culture. Sports fans have way more choices than they used to, and many kids these days don't even watch the traditional sports.

I like Lurker's proposition. He's stepping up and putting his money on the line. I'd do so as well, but frankly have other priorities for what little disposable income I have.
The Championship game was played on Thursday and more importantly as I noted it was New Years Eve. Huge difference from being played on New Years Day the year before.

No one is arguing that things have changed but football still rules and there are no big events in town during that time of year. It's ludicrous to think that a good, well coached Tulane team that's winning consistently won't draw.
lurker123
Swell

winwave wrote:
lurker123 wrote:
winwave wrote:
lurker123 wrote:

You're on . The only way we don't play such a game on campus is if WF turns out to be a bust and we can't attract god opponents. That's also the only way OU gets played on campus. The AD's at OU and Ole Miss are going to have 20,000 wanting tickets. They are not going to face their fans and say I only have 2,000 tickets to sell.

We must be privy to different private conversations w/regards to TD. He's made it abundantly clear he wants LSU on the schedule and in the Dome. In one of those conversations someone said LSU owes a home game and you need to get them in Yulman. He laughed and said it will be in the Dome.
Glad we're agreed on the spirit of this. I would not be surprised if Tulane and LSU play again at some point in Dome, SK or even Zephyr. But again it will be a "neutral site" with a third party sponsor like Sugar Bowl Committee, GNO Sports Foundation or an NCAA Tournament. Again this is totally consistent with all conversations/pronouncements TD has made to fans, press, et al in public or private. We are out of the business of playing rent a loss home games in big non-campus venues. Period.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

lurker123 wrote:
winwave wrote:
lurker123 wrote:
winwave wrote:
lurker123 wrote:

Glad we're agreed on the spirit of this. I would not be surprised if Tulane and LSU play again at some point in Dome, SK or even Zephyr. But again it will be a "neutral site" with a third party sponsor like Sugar Bowl Committee, GNO Sports Foundation or an NCAA Tournament. Again this is totally consistent with all conversations/pronouncements TD has made to fans, press, et al in public or private. We are out of the business of playing rent a loss home games in big non-campus venues. Period.
We'll have to agree to disagree as to what TD has said. He has clearly stated he wants to play big games in big time venues and MD has too. We won't be playing rent a loss games. That's the Tulane of old. We'll be playing to win these and build the profile of the program. To tie ourselves to much too small facilities will cause us to never coming close to reaching our potential.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

winwave wrote:
The Championship game was played on Thursday and more importantly as I noted it was New Years Eve. Huge difference from being played on New Years Day the year before.

Umm...Win...the NCAA Championship game was played on MONDAY, January 11, 2016. The exact Monday (over a week plus the weekends after New Years) that it was played the prior year. You might want to google something so simple before calling me out and asserting that the game was played on Thursday. Yes, the playoff games were on New Years Eve, and their ratings were way down. But the Championship game, which you confused with the playoffs was on Monday night, and ratings fell 23% despite a much, much better game than the previous year.

And attendance has declined for 15 years in a row now. There's a handful of schools that are getting over 90k in their stadiums. They skewer the NCAA average which is roughly 43k. So take out the top ten and the other 118 schools average roughly 37k. If you only look at G5 schools, that number is in the high 20's. But I'm sure Tulane and the New Orleans market is better than the rest of the nation's college football fans.
jonathanjoseph
Green Wave

DfromCT wrote:
winwave wrote:

Umm...Win...the NCAA Championship game was played on MONDAY, January 11, 2016. The exact Monday (over a week plus the weekends after New Years) that it was played the prior year. You might want to google something so simple before calling me out and asserting that the game was played on Thursday. Yes, the playoff games were on New Years Eve, and their ratings were way down. But the Championship game, which you confused with the playoffs was on Monday night, and ratings fell 23% despite a much, much better game than the previous year.

And attendance has declined for 15 years in a row now. There's a handful of schools that are getting over 90k in their stadiums. They skewer the NCAA average which is roughly 43k. So take out the top ten and the other 118 schools average roughly 37k. If you only look at G5 schools, that number is in the high 20's. But I'm sure Tulane and the New Orleans market is better than the rest of the nation's college football fans.
Again the issues are being conflated. Attendance has been downward trending for a while and ratings for some games are down (including the poorly planned playoffs), but the number of people watching and/or attending college football is higher than ever. That fragmentation of interest is exactly why Tulane (or anyone else) can build a big program by just doing it. See Baylor, TCU, Louisville, etc.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

DfromCT wrote:
winwave wrote:

It was clear I was referencing the playoff games. As for the NC game you'd have to think that people were turned off by not watching the playoffs and didn't feel invested enough to watch the NC game. That's a one time deal and I'm sure the numbers will go up.

If the program wins we can certainly get 37,000 of our fans out. Then throw in Nola and you can see how our visiting teams will bring a good number of people especially once they know it will be a game worth seeing.
nawlinspete
Riptide

winwave wrote:I'll remind all again that this thread is about OOC scheduling in the future. The point is that to get good teams to play here we'll have to get good and play in the Dome. TD is fine w/that and so am I.
Amen. Says it ALL. We MUST get good we we MUST play good teams in the MBSD.

Shame we cannot just convert Yulman into Yulman Basketball Arena and move ALL of our FB games back to the MBSD. Shame we deemphasized, shame we hired Longenecker, shame we left the SEC, shame Cowen was on campus and dismantled what he saw as a threat to his reign of terror (winning sports) and shame he hired Dickson to assure that he'd never have to deal with winning sports as a parallel threat to his perceived sainthood.
President Fitts , B of A , it's put up or forever hold your peace time . Make Tulane ATHLETICS relevant and top 30 again .
Aberzombie1892
Swell

So, basically, only 3 G5 schools had an average attendance of greater than ~37,000 (Memphis, Temple and East Carolina) and only 7 had more than ~30,000 in 2015, and Houston barely moved the needle with a ~33,000 average in its historic season. Memphis was excellent in 2014 and rode that momentum (coach and QB) into 2015, Temple played home games against Notre Dame and Penn State (those games significantly impacted home game attendance), and East Carolina always draws a big crowd with its ~28,000 enrollment. Yet, somehow, some people believe that we need a 40,000+ seat stadium to play an AAC conference schedule and to occasionally host a high profile P5. I just don't see it. Don't get me wrong - I would like to see it, but it just doesn't appear to be there. And, if we commit to doing 1 for 0s with P5s to just raise our profile instead of horrible 2/3 for 1s, our attendance would likely not increase that much even if we started hitting 7-8 win seasons.
mbawavefan12
Tsunami

Aberzombie1892 wrote:
So, basically, only 3 G5 schools had an average attendance of greater than ~37,000 (Memphis, Temple and East Carolina) and only 7 had more than ~30,000 in 2015, and Houston barely moved the needle with a ~33,000 average in its historic season. Memphis was excellent in 2014 and rode that momentum (coach and QB) into 2015, Temple played home games against Notre Dame and Penn State (those games significantly impacted home game attendance), and East Carolina always draws a big crowd with its ~28,000 enrollment. Yet, somehow, some people believe that we need a 40,000+ seat stadium to play an AAC conference schedule and to occasionally host a high profile P5. I just don't see it. Don't get me wrong - I would like to see it, but it just doesn't appear to be there. And, if we commit to doing 1 for 0s with P5s to just raise our profile instead of horrible 2/3 for 1s, our attendance would likely not increase that much even if we started hitting 7-8 win seasons.
I think the 40k number is to entice the B12/ACC.
wave97
Swell

FWIW: We absolutely need a deck on the West side of Yulman ASAP. The current configuration of Yulman's West side is a national embarrassment.
nawlinspete
Riptide

wave97 wrote:FWIW: We absolutely need a deck on the West side of Yulman ASAP. The current configuration of Yulman's West side is a national embarrassment.
Wrong. Yulman is a total embarrassment. A total waste of ~$100,000,000.

Yulman should be roofed and become our BB Arena. A new Tulane Stadium should be built on what had been Mc Alister Drive now that it is closed to vehicular traffic.

Or expand the current BB building onto Mc Alister and build a new Tulane Stadium on Mc Alister and turn Yulman into an IPF, tennis, track and field facility.
wave97
Swell

nawlinspete wrote:
wave97 wrote:FWIW: We absolutely need a deck on the West side of Yulman ASAP. The current configuration of Yulman's West side is a national embarrassment.
Wrong. Yulman is a total embarrassment. A total waste of ~$100,000,000.

Yulman should be roofed and become our BB Arena. A new Tulane Stadium should be built on what had been Mc Alister Drive now that it is closed to vehicular traffic.

Or expand the current BB building onto Mc Alister and build a new Tulane Stadium on Mc Alister and turn Yulman into an IPF, tennis, track and field facility.
Okey dokey!
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Aberzombie1892 wrote:
No one knew when it started how Houston's season would turn out. Their crowds grew. Same held for us in 98. No one knew we would go 12-0. The crowds grew and would have grown more had we hired RR .

Our crowds jumped from 5k to 22k w/just a new stadium. It's crazy to not think it would make another significant jump w/a consistently winning program that was top 25. That's the goal. 40,000 is needed to draw the athletes to build such a team and to be able to get into a P5.
Last edited by winwave on Thu May 05, 2016 12:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jonathanjoseph
Green Wave

Aberzombie1892 wrote:
This is just ridiculous. You think with regular 7 or 8 win seasons our attendance wouldn't increase much? Again someone who believes that Tulane Athletics is so awful that it defies the fundamental laws of supply and demand. Thanks Cowen and Dickson.

Also, Tulane is the ONLY university in the United States of America that can offer the top sports even destination in the world, which by itself is worth an average of 10K per game, noting that a Texas or equivalent will bring ~30K. Texas brought at least >20K to a glorified scrimmage in 2002. Had it been a game versus a top 25 Tulane team they would have brought plenty more. Understand this. Tulane has UNFAIR ADVANTAGES. It's just that previous administrations purposefully tried not to use them.