Future OOC Football Schedule/Games

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

NOLABigSteve wrote: Wed May 01, 2019 3:33 pm Great. Can't wait.
to really highten your anticipation, Morgan State is coached by ex Michigan great, Tyrone Wheatley

Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

I have ZERO issues with us playing an FCS school each year. But play ones that either have local attraction (Grambling, Southern, Southeastern, NIcholls, etc.) or ones with national name recognition such as North Dakota State, South Dakota State, University of Northern Iowa, Colgate, James Madison, etc. Bringing in a no-name like Morgan State does nothing for us. I don't even know what state they're in!
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
NOLABigSteve
Riptide

DfromCT wrote: Wed May 01, 2019 4:19 pm I have ZERO issues with us playing an FCS school each year. But play ones that either have local attraction (Grambling, Southern, Southeastern, NIcholls, etc.) or ones with national name recognition such as North Dakota State, South Dakota State, University of Northern Iowa, Colgate, James Madison, etc. Bringing in a no-name like Morgan State does nothing for us. I don't even know what state they're in!
Morgan
Roll Wave!
Tulane University c/o 2003
Football Defensive End '99, '00, '01, '02
2002 Hawaii Bowl Champions
School of Engineering (Computer Science)
nawlinspete
Riptide

golfnut69 wrote: Wed May 01, 2019 3:49 pm
NOLABigSteve wrote: Wed May 01, 2019 3:33 pm Great. Can't wait.
to really highten your anticipation, Morgan State is coached by ex Michigan great, Tyrone Wheatley
You and 1500 other cash paying customers ....
President Fitts , B of A , it's put up or forever hold your peace time . Make Tulane ATHLETICS relevant and top 30 again .
HoustonWave
Tsunami

NOLABigSteve wrote: Wed May 01, 2019 4:36 pm
DfromCT wrote: Wed May 01, 2019 4:19 pm I have ZERO issues with us playing an FCS school each year. But play ones that either have local attraction (Grambling, Southern, Southeastern, NIcholls, etc.) or ones with national name recognition such as North Dakota State, South Dakota State, University of Northern Iowa, Colgate, James Madison, etc. Bringing in a no-name like Morgan State does nothing for us. I don't even know what state they're in!
Morgan
😂😂😂😂. What’s the capital of Morgan? 🤪🤪🤪
Tulane is the University of Louisiana
Wavetime
Swell

I don't care what some people say, there are LSU people that want to play Tulane, especially the older folks. The younger crowd is indifferent, but they believe they are better than us. All it takes is 1 victory,,,just 1,,,then we'll be off and running again.

The press would eat it up after they get over themselves. The only thing that's been missing is commitment from us. We've had an elevation in commitment since Fitts is here.
nawlinspete
Riptide

Wavetime wrote: Thu May 02, 2019 6:46 pm I don't care what some people say, there are LSU people that want to play Tulane, especially the older folks. The younger crowd is indifferent, but they believe they are better than us. All it takes is 1 victory,,,just 1,,,then we'll be off and running again.

The press would eat it up after they get over themselves. The only thing that's been missing is commitment from us. We've had an elevation in commitment since Fitts is here.
Are you suggesting that Dannen fears losing to them kitties and goes after the Missouri States and Morgan States to pad our win totals?
President Fitts , B of A , it's put up or forever hold your peace time . Make Tulane ATHLETICS relevant and top 30 again .
Aberzombie1892
Swell

nawlinspete wrote: Thu May 02, 2019 7:19 pm
Wavetime wrote: Thu May 02, 2019 6:46 pm I don't care what some people say, there are LSU people that want to play Tulane, especially the older folks. The younger crowd is indifferent, but they believe they are better than us. All it takes is 1 victory,,,just 1,,,then we'll be off and running again.

Are you suggesting that Dannen fears losing to them kitties and goes after the Missouri States and Morgan States to pad our win totals?
Tulane could consider the WVU approach and 2 P5-1/G5 OOC, and, in order to translate it from a 9 game conference slate to an 8 game conference slate, add another P5.
oliveandblue
Surge

It's a dead series. A relic of the past.

Our future involves pulling level with Houston/Cincy/Memphis types, and then from there building our own identity.

Tulane should not peg its own value against that of LSU. That's little brother stuff.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

oliveandblue wrote: Thu May 02, 2019 8:49 pm

Our future involves pulling level with Houston/Cincy/Memphis types, and then from there building our own identity.

Tulane should not peg its own value against that of LSU. That's little brother stuff.
There's nothing that says we're "pegging our value" on how we do versus LSU. Many folks would rather see us play LSU than OU, OSU, Auburn and the other teams we rent ourselves out to. It's a damned rivalry, so what if it's lopsided? Playing them will help recruiting, will help attendance and will lift the program. And I'm not saying we play them instead of our FCS game (which most FBS teams play every year.) Even now, with a much improved team, we'd be at least 2 if not 3 TD underdogs. But I'd like to see them play. Too many fond memories of Thanksgiving games. That's when the game should be played as well, and I don't care if it has our "home" game in the Superdome giving LSU 1/2 of the tickets. Play the damned game!

Otherwise admit that we shouldn't play them in Basketball or Baseball as well.

By saying we should only focus on pulling even with the top of the AAC exemplifies a defeatist attitude. We don't need to beat LSU regularly, just often enough to make the folks in the state that DONT root for LSU become Tulane fans. It's called building a fan base, sometimes you need a natural rival. There's nothing close to State vs. Private in-state to do so. And we have a very long history that saw Tulane have a fan base that is now a tiny fraction of what it once was.
Wavetime
Swell

DfromCT wrote: Thu May 02, 2019 10:00 pm
oliveandblue wrote: Thu May 02, 2019 8:49 pm

There's nothing that says we're "pegging our value" on how we do versus LSU. Many folks would rather see us play LSU than OU, OSU, Auburn and the other teams we rent ourselves out to. It's a damned rivalry, so what if it's lopsided? Playing them will help recruiting, will help attendance and will lift the program. And I'm not saying we play them instead of our FCS game (which most FBS teams play every year.) Even now, with a much improved team, we'd be at least 2 if not 3 TD underdogs. But I'd like to see them play. Too many fond memories of Thanksgiving games. That's when the game should be played as well, and I don't care if it has our "home" game in the Superdome giving LSU 1/2 of the tickets. Play the damned game!

Otherwise admit that we shouldn't play them in Basketball or Baseball as well.

By saying we should only focus on pulling even with the top of the AAC exemplifies a defeatist attitude. We don't need to beat LSU regularly, just often enough to make the folks in the state that DONT root for LSU become Tulane fans. It's called building a fan base, sometimes you need a natural rival. There's nothing close to State vs. Private in-state to do so. And we have a very long history that saw Tulane have a fan base that is now a tiny fraction of what it once was.
This

And, it's fun
winwave
Top of the WAVE

We should always being doing what we can to improve our program and getting it to the level where we merit playing them. People can try and spin it any way they want but we are each others arch rivals. Time for us to do our part and then get all the series started again.
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
sader24
Tsunami

We are not rivals anymore, I wish we were but we are not. I was lucky enough to see the 87 game in the Dome when it still was. It’s sad that it isn’t anymore, but it isn’t. They have no desire to play us and their fans have no desire to see them play us. It could change in the future if we became a consistent top 30 team, but it’ll never be like it was. There are so few local Tulane students now compared to the 30s-80s. There is just nothing there anymore. We are about 99% to blame.
mbawavefan12
Tsunami

sader24 wrote: Thu May 02, 2019 11:44 pm We are not rivals anymore, I wish we were but we are not. I was lucky enough to see the 87 game in the Dome when it still was. It’s sad that it isn’t anymore, but it isn’t. They have no desire to play us and their fans have no desire to see them play us. It could change in the future if we became a consistent top 30 team, but it’ll never be like it was. There are so few local Tulane students now compared to the 30s-80s. There is just nothing there anymore. We are about 99% to blame.
This. LSU gains nothing playing TU. Their fans and admin want nothing to do with us, They simply don’t care. It’s pathetic on their part and is another clear example that college sports is all about business and not ethics, especially with LSU, perhaps the dirtiest admin/fanbase in the nation. Really think about how they won’t even agree to play weekday baseball games in NOLA to treat their NOLA based alums and their family. That is how petty it has become. It’s over folks. Women’s bball is next. Who knows if they will even play in the sugar bowl golf tourney. This is why I argue that we should have nothing to do with them as far as our yearly fball camp. Screw them, bring in Michigan, Texas or A&M. It is so clear that LSU cares only about themselves, so why cater to them?
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

Then why does Tulane vs. LSU in baseball draw big crowds? Why does any Tulane vs. LSU game have more attention than most other games on the schedule?
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

DfromCT wrote: Fri May 03, 2019 6:39 am Then why does Tulane vs. LSU in baseball draw big crowds? Why does any Tulane vs. LSU game have more attention than most other games on the schedule?
Tulane needs to move on from LSU...just as Texas A&M has moved on from UT...UT is now wanting to rekindle the rivalary...A&M has told them they have no interest..... tulane needs to improve it's on field product to the point where teams want to play in NOLA.....OU, Okie State, TCU and.Kansas State would all love to come to nola and all would more than sell out there ticket allotment.....The SEC teams are nice to schedule, but Tulanes future lies with the Big 12 ..I see the Big 12 expanding, Cincy, Tulane, Houston, UCF future lies with them......SMU and Tulsa have zero to bring to the TV viewing audience..Memphis is an academic train wreck and the pious Big 12 Prez's ain't gonna let them in
Last edited by golfnut69 on Fri May 03, 2019 8:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
winwave
Top of the WAVE

It is still the rivalry for both schools. People can try and deny it all they want but it is still there and it's why it draws when we do play. We are hopefully in the midst of reviving our programs. We need to get to the point where we merit playing them. If the goal is to just get to the level of Houston and Memphis then just shut it down.

As to the Big 12 there will be no more expansion since the NCAA granted them the waiver to play their championship game with less than 12 teams in the conference. To get back to relevance we need to become the king of our conference and play a strong OOC schedule.
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

The bottom line is this. What people say and what is in their heart are often two different things. The last thing an LSU fan wants to do is to lose to Tulane. They try to claim themselves as everybody's arch rival but they aren't. Alabama has Auburn and so on. If they lose to Bama they just go home and there's no one there to rub their faces in it. Lose to Florida same thing. Lose to Ole Miss same thing. Lose to Tulane and they have people in their face for the next year .
NOLABigSteve
Riptide

winwave wrote: Fri May 03, 2019 10:08 am The bottom line is this. What people say and what is in their heart are often two different things. The last thing an LSU fan wants to do is to lose to Tulane. They try to claim themselves as everybody's arch rival but they aren't. Alabama has Auburn and so on. If they lose to Bama they just go home and there's no one there to rub their faces in it. Lose to Florida same thing. Lose to Ole Miss same thing. Lose to Tulane and they have people in their face for the next year .
Exactly.
Roll Wave!
Tulane University c/o 2003
Football Defensive End '99, '00, '01, '02
2002 Hawaii Bowl Champions
School of Engineering (Computer Science)
sader24
Tsunami

winwave wrote: Fri May 03, 2019 10:08 am The bottom line is this. What people say and what is in their heart are often two different things. The last thing an LSU fan wants to do is to lose to Tulane. They try to claim themselves as everybody's arch rival but they aren't. Alabama has Auburn and so on. If they lose to Bama they just go home and there's no one there to rub their faces in it. Lose to Florida same thing. Lose to Ole Miss same thing. Lose to Tulane and they have people in their face for the next year .
I went to LSU for 4 years. Had football season tickets, went on 1 road game a year. Outside of baseball they have no interest in Tulane. The younger generation of LSU fans below the age of 40 has never experienced an LSU-Tulane rivalry and most don’t even know a real one ever existed. Our problem is we don’t have a younger generation of fans because we have been horrendous in football for 30 plus years. Sure there are some New Orleans LSU fans in their late 60s to 80s who still remember the rivalry but nobody else cares. When we were on their schedule in football in the 2000s they would complain bc they were wasting a home game on us instead of playing a more notable team. It wasn’t because they were afraid to lose , it was just a boring opponent to play.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Like I said what people say and what's in their heart are two different things. Those younger LSU fans experienced the rivalry in baseball. They know what it's about and they wouldn't want to lose to us in the bigger sports. As for boring what they whine about is the Troy's and FCS teams on their schedule. Certainly a game against Tulane with their former QB is more interesting. They aren't going to play all P-5's. I agree we haven't merited playing them for a while but if the program progresses the way most of us here believe it will this year we will then. Beat Auburn and there will be no where to hide.

As to the series in the Dome their fans claimed they were propping up our program. The well known public fact was that Bertman had got them full control of their ticket allotment. They got half the tickets and all the revenue from them. They weren't losing a home game. They had their full allotment. If anything it was like getting another home game. The truth is like I said above- they just wanted us off the schedule because they are afraid to lose to us.
Last edited by winwave on Fri May 03, 2019 10:54 am, edited 2 times in total.
wave97
Swell

sader24 wrote: Fri May 03, 2019 10:34 am
I went to LSU for 4 years. Had football season tickets, went on 1 road game a year. Outside of baseball they have no interest in Tulane. The younger generation of LSU fans below the age of 40 has never experienced an LSU-Tulane rivalry and most don’t even know a real one ever existed. Our problem is we don’t have a younger generation of fans because we have been horrendous in football for 30 plus years. Sure there are some New Orleans LSU fans in their late 60s to 80s who still remember the rivalry but nobody else cares. When we were on their schedule in football in the 2000s they would complain bc they were wasting a home game on us instead of playing a more notable team. It wasn’t because they were afraid to lose , it was just a boring opponent to play.
And your point is....? Tulane self-infliction? Does the LSU fan base consider UCF a worthy opponent?
swampnik
Surge

DfromCT wrote: Wed May 01, 2019 4:19 pm I have ZERO issues with us playing an FCS school each year. But play ones that either have local attraction (Grambling, Southern, Southeastern, NIcholls, etc.) or ones with national name recognition such as North Dakota State, South Dakota State, Univ

ersity of Northern Iowa, Colgate, James Madison, etc. Bringing in a no-name like Morgan State does nothing for us. I don't even know what state they're in!
Morgan
That's the correct answer from LSU.
nic, nic, nic, swamp!
-Jack N. (Easy Rider)
RobertM320
Green Wave

HoustonWave wrote: Wed May 01, 2019 7:27 pm
Morgan
😂😂😂😂. What’s the capital of Morgan? 🤪🤪🤪
https://www.morgan.edu/
Morgan State University - Maryland's Preeminent Urban Public Research University.
"That mantra is the only consistent thing that never needs to ever change for the rest of this program’s existence because that is all that matters & as long as that keeps occurring, everything will handle itself" -- Nick Anderson
nawlinspete
Riptide

NOLABigSteve wrote: Fri May 03, 2019 10:09 am
Exactly.

Exactly . Get together with the new LSU AD , Mr Dannen , and lock yourselves in an upscale hotel suite until y'all agree to resume play in FB , MBB , BB , Rowing, Monopoly , Scrabble , Tidly Winks .

And then proudly announcs resumption dates .

There is no more Aleva roadblock to resumed cordiality on and off campuses, courts and playing fields .