Future OOC Football Schedule/Games

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
nawlinspete
Riptide

Every day I read of other FBS schools announcing additions to their OOC schedule.

WE have not had any such announcements in a looong, looooong time. More than 18 months.

How much has Yulman's 22,600 seats been a hindrance in getting home games against other FBS schools?

Come on Dickson, break the cone of silence.

On actual Yulman SEATS, too.

We are waiting to hear from you. We don't bite. Talk to Tulane students, alumni, fans, FUTURE fans and anyone who will listen. It is really quite easy.

winwave
Top of the WAVE

The word is he is lining up Rice and Army w/Home and home's and he'll rotate them on our home schedule.
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
LSU Law Greenie
Surge

Tulane Future Non-Conference Opponents
09/12 - at Georgia Tech
TBA - Duke

09/24 - at Mississippi State
10/08 - UL Lafayette
TBA - at Wake Forest

09/16 - at Ole Miss

09/08 - at Georgia Tech
TBA - Wake Forest

09/07 - Georgia Tech
09/28 - South Alabama
TBA - at Duke

10/10 - at South Alabama
TBA - at Wake Forest

TBA at Ole Miss
My name is T J Acosta and I approve this message!
mbawavefan12
Tsunami

LSU Law Greenie wrote:
09/12 - at Georgia Tech
TBA - Duke

10/08 - UL Lafayette
TBA - at Wake Forest

09/16 - at Ole Miss

09/08 - at Georgia Tech
TBA - Wake Forest

09/07 - Georgia Tech
09/28 - South Alabama
TBA - at Duke

10/10 - at South Alabama
TBA - at Wake Forest

TBA at Ole Miss
Doing 2 for 1's with BOTH Duke and Wake is messed up.
nawlinspete
Riptide

Guys, those games were all ANNOUNCED more than a year and a half ago. I asked : what has been scheduled since those games.

I asked if the 22,600 seat Twin Sized Mattress Stadium has been difficult to schedule to because other schools do not want to play there.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Not sure why we'd prefer scheduling ACC teams like Duke, GT and Wake when we'd do better by scheduling SEC schools like Vandy, Miss St, and other's.
I know we have Ole Miss but we should play more teams from the South (SEC).
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
sader24
Tsunami

The main reason for scheduling ACC teams IMO would be if you were trying to get into the ACC. The reasons I think we are scheduling them is bc it's cheaper, it's easier, their schools are not the "football factories" of the SEC. I also don't think Ole Miss or Miss.St will come here for an allotment less than 7,500 tickets. The main reason those two schools have continued coming is bc it's a trip their fans love, it's within driving distance, it's usually a win, and their were always more than enough tickets for the fans that came. In their case I believe Yulman will be a deterrent and I doubt we'll want to play them in the Dome. That game has always been for their fans and if they can't get more than 3-4k of their fans in it probably doesn't make a whole lot of sense to them.
LSU Law Greenie
Surge

mbawavefan12 wrote:
LSU Law Greenie wrote:
09/12 - at Georgia Tech
TBA - Duke

10/08 - UL Lafayette
TBA - at Wake Forest

09/16 - at Ole Miss

09/08 - at Georgia Tech
TBA - Wake Forest

09/07 - Georgia Tech
09/28 - South Alabama
TBA - at Duke

10/10 - at South Alabama
TBA - at Wake Forest

TBA at Ole Miss
The Wake Forest series is a 2 for 2 and NOT a 2 for 1. The first game was played in New Orleans on 09-09-95 which Tulane actually won 35-9. The other 3 games of the series have been pushed back several times.
My name is T J Acosta and I approve this message!
mbawavefan12
Tsunami

LSU Law Greenie wrote:
mbawavefan12 wrote:
LSU Law Greenie wrote:
09/12 - at Georgia Tech
TBA - Duke

10/08 - UL Lafayette
TBA - at Wake Forest

09/16 - at Ole Miss

09/08 - at Georgia Tech
TBA - Wake Forest

09/07 - Georgia Tech
09/28 - South Alabama
TBA - at Duke

10/10 - at South Alabama
TBA - at Wake Forest

TBA at Ole Miss
The Wake Forest series is a 2 for 2 and NOT a 2 for 1. The first game was played in New Orleans on 09-09-95 which Tulane actually won 35-9. The other 3 games of the series have been pushed back several times.
20 years, really?
sader24
Tsunami

I'd like to see us renew the series with Vanderbilt. Finding a way to get Ole Miss and Miss. St to play here twice every decade should be a priority. I love the Ga. Tech series. ULL is a good series. Get USM back on the schedule every now and then. Take a shot at a Miami or a Notre Dame.
BC Wave
Swell

nawlinspete wrote:
Come on Dickson, break the cone of silence.

On actual Yulman SEATS, too.

We are waiting to hear from you. We don't bite. Talk to Tulane students, alumni, fans, FUTURE fans and anyone who will listen. It is really quite easy.
He's already told us

27,000 seats! :shock: :lol: :shock:
T1B2TW
High Tide

sader24 wrote:I'd like to see us renew the series with Vanderbilt. Finding a way to get Ole Miss and Miss. St to play here twice every decade should be a priority. I love the Ga. Tech series. ULL is a good series. Get USM back on the schedule every now and then. Take a shot at a Miami or a Notre Dame.
TU will NOT be playing ND in their new home (at least with the current seating capacity). Only way we get to play them in NO is in the SD. And I believe that the Rebs moved their games to the last two in the 2-fof-2 is so that they would get both of their games in the SD instead of in Yulman. But at least you've got to give them credit here. They still played their 2 "away" games with us as opposed to trying to get out of them, like some other school we're all so familiar with. :thumbup:
lurker123
Swell

T1B2TW wrote:
sader24 wrote:I'd like to see us renew the series with Vanderbilt. Finding a way to get Ole Miss and Miss. St to play here twice every decade should be a priority. I love the Ga. Tech series. ULL is a good series. Get USM back on the schedule every now and then. Take a shot at a Miami or a Notre Dame.
TU will NOT be playing ND in their new home (at least with the current seating capacity). Only way we get to play them in NO is in the SD. And I believe that the Rebs moved their games to the last two in the 2-fof-2 is so that they would get both of their games in the SD instead of in Yulman. But at least you've got to give them credit here. They still played their 2 "away" games with us as opposed to trying to get out of them, like some other school we're all so familiar with. :thumbup:
Tulane has the strongest OOC schedule (except perhaps for ECU) of any AAC team. (Strong enough that an unlucky Tulane could throw an 0-fer and then could overcome the bad start and make a bowl game by winning six AAC games.) All done with Yulman. I expect it will continue.

It would be great to have Ole Miss and MSU visit regularly. I don't think ticket allotment will mean that much to them. (Just my opinion.) They each visit BR every other year to see an often Top 10 team and most travelers from there spend Friday night in N.O. and a lot of them spend Saturday night as well here. They try to limit their stay in BR to tailgating and the game itself.

Again as noted above, if and when called for, Tulane can and will use the SD.

Finally Army is a great opponent for Tulane (even if it has owned us.) It beats by miles playing an FCS school annually.

Maybe Tulane doesn't need them anymore for NE exposure with regular road games against Navy, Temple or UConn but those who have been to West Point will tell you it's one of the great venues of college football, a lot of fun and an easy road trip from NYC. Not quite as small as Yulman but you are on top of the action. If and when Yulman expands it will seem very much like Michie.
jonathanjoseph
Green Wave

lurker123 wrote:
T1B2TW wrote:
Tulane has the strongest OOC schedule (except perhaps for ECU) of any AAC team. (Strong enough that an unlucky Tulane could throw an 0-fer and then could overcome the bad start and make a bowl game by winning six AAC games.) All done with Yulman. I expect it will continue.

It would be great to have Ole Miss and MSU visit regularly. I don't think ticket allotment will mean that much to them. (Just my opinion.) They each visit BR every other year to see an often Top 10 team and most travelers from there spend Friday night in N.O. and a lot of them spend Saturday night as well here. They try to limit their stay in BR to tailgating and the game itself.

Finally Army is a great opponent for Tulane (even if it has owned us.) It beats by miles playing an FCS school annually.

Maybe Tulane doesn't need them anymore for NE exposure with regular road games against Navy, Temple or UConn but those who have been to West Point will tell you it's one of the great venues of college football, a lot of fun and an easy road trip from NYC. Not quite as small as Yulman but you are on top of the action. If and when Yulman expands it will seem very much like Michie.
LOL. Tulane (under current leadership) will never intentionally schedule a game at the Dome. It's not financially feasible. People keep repeating this but it's a blatant lie. Tulane would rather cancel a 2-for-2 with a beatable private P5 than play a single game in the Dome, and we know this to be factually true.

And that's why Dickson is working on scheduling Rice and Army.
wave97
Swell

Scheduling Ole Miss & Miss State for for home & home is a must. If Tulane continues to improve it's football program by bringing in real football players there is no reason why a local SEC rival game won't draw at least 50,000 in the dome. If Yulman expands to 40k there is an outside chance we could host them on campus.
We need to beat Ole Miss and or State & La Tech & USM & ULL & ULM & Southeastern & .......
We need to return to the status of being the de facto 2nd choice for any recruit in Louisiana.
Rice & Army? What's that going to get us? "Come to Tulane son. We just beat Army & Rice...."
winwave
Top of the WAVE

lurker123 wrote:
T1B2TW wrote:

Ticket allotments are huge to them. They are not coming to Yulman.

Army is poor scheduling. Our fans have no interest in them. We are not going to build the program fans want scheduling like that. Scheduling them resigns you to being a Boutique program.
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
Dr. Rosenrosen
High Tide

40K? :lol:

RD couldn't even raise the money for 22.6K. And when asked about playing Ole Miss, he gave some ridiculous answer about having 29,000 Tulane fans in Yulman versus 1,000 Rebel fans to ensure a home field advantage.
jonathanjoseph
Green Wave

Dr. Rosenrosen wrote:40K? :lol:

RD couldn't even raise the money for 22.6K. And when asked about playing Ole Miss, he gave some ridiculous answer about having 29,000 Tulane fans in Yulman versus 1,000 Rebel fans to ensure a home field advantage.
So many Tulane fans refuse to see the plain ugly truth. We're scheduling Army and Rice for a reason.

Also, Cowen is on the record as saying expandable to 30K, period.
wave97
Swell

Wins against Temple, Rutgers, Navy & UConn will mean nothing to local recruits. It may help us cherry pick some kids from the Northeast.
lurker123
Swell

winwave wrote:
lurker123 wrote:
T1B2TW wrote:

Army is poor scheduling. Our fans have no interest in them. We are not going to build the program fans want scheduling like that. Scheduling them resigns you to being a Boutique program.
Other than LSU (and probably USM in the old days), TU travels better to Army than any other opponent that includes road games at Ole Miss, MSU and similar nearby schools. That's a fact not speculation as to whether Army "appeals" to Tulane fans. It's a loose analogy but TV ratings seems to indicate similar interest.

No doubt N.O. is an SEC market but disagree on appeal of Army. National TV ratings for Army-Navy are about the same as average ESPN ratings for college football in N.O. (4.2 to 4.3) Couldn't find ratings quickly specifically for the game in N.O. market. If I recall the Army-Navy game goes up now against FBS and Div II and III playoff games. SEC season is over. So I guess New Orleanians watch Army at least once a year at rate the rest of the country does. If you know better, fire away.

Again you should go to West Point game whenever you have the chance. You would enjoy it. Yes I believe Yulman will generate a similar experience for Tulane fans which the Superdome has not provided for Tulane for decades.

http://espnmediazone.com/us/press-relea ... -networks/

http://www.showbuzzdaily.com/articles/s ... owl-4.html

"The CBS Sports broadcast of the 114th Army-Navy game’s 4.2 rating on Dec. 14 tied for the highest rating for the game since 1999, up 2 percent from last year - See more at: http://www.footballfoundation.org/tabid ... SpifX.dpuf"
JTLiuzza
Swell

jonathanjoseph wrote:

So many Tulane fans refuse to see the plain ugly truth. We're scheduling Army and Rice for a reason.

And Cowen's veracity is, um, questionable. Athletics in the black is the only goal.
The second commandment has not been abrogated.
lurker123
Swell

jonathanjoseph wrote:
lurker123 wrote:
T1B2TW wrote:

LOL. Tulane (under current leadership) will never intentionally schedule a game at the Dome. It's not financially feasible. People keep repeating this but it's a blatant lie. Tulane would rather cancel a 2-for-2 with a beatable private P5 than play a single game in the Dome, and we know this to be factually true.

And that's why Dickson is working on scheduling Rice and Army.
Interesting that you acknowledge that Tulane will (usually) make a lot more money playing in Yulman than the SD. Isn't that the point?

Meanwhile if the carrot is big enough Tulane will use the SD the same way your local school in Berkeley with a 62,000 capacity stadium that it just spent hundreds of millions of dollars renovating is playing a game in Levi's stadium (billion dollar plus cost) with a capacity 69,000 or so.

My guess it would take a crowd of 50k plus to justify (so LSU, UA, UT or ND.) I don't see Ole Miss for example drawing that many or even Auburn or one of the Florida schools. They didn't when Tulane was playing and drawing well in the Dome or even old Tulane stadium. (The crowd for the Ole Miss game in 1979 which had a great atmosphere and Tulane was ranked and was played in November was about 47,000 or so.)

If you want to see what Tulane would draw in the SD even if it were in the SEC, look at Miami's attendance even with a ton of national championships. Play UF, FSU or ND, you draw great to your home games in an NFL stadium. After that your base crowd is 30,000 to 40,000 on a good evening.

Yes I wish Yulman sat 35,000 but that is it. The Saints and the Sugar Bowl and LSU drew 70,000+ in old Tulane stadium and the SD not Tulane. That's a simple fact and Cowen and crew finally recognized it and did something about it. What do you care what Yulman sits or stands? You're not going anyway.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

lurker123 wrote:
winwave wrote:
lurker123 wrote:
T1B2TW wrote:

Other than LSU (and probably USM in the old days), TU travels better to Army than any other opponent that includes road games at Ole Miss, MSU and similar nearby schools. That's a fact not speculation as to whether Army "appeals" to Tulane fans. It's a loose analogy but TV ratings seems to indicate similar interest.

No doubt N.O. is an SEC market but disagree on appeal of Army. National TV ratings for Army-Navy are about the same as average ESPN ratings for college football in N.O. (4.2 to 4.3) Couldn't find ratings quickly specifically for the game in N.O. market. If I recall the Army-Navy game goes up now against FBS and Div II and III playoff games. SEC season is over. So I guess New Orleanians watch Army at least once a year at rate the rest of the country does. If you know better, fire away.

Again you should go to West Point game whenever you have the chance. You would enjoy it. Yes I believe Yulman will generate a similar experience for Tulane fans which the Superdome has not provided for Tulane for decades.

http://espnmediazone.com/us/press-relea ... -networks/

http://www.showbuzzdaily.com/articles/s ... owl-4.html

"The CBS Sports broadcast of the 114th Army-Navy game’s 4.2 rating on Dec. 14 tied for the highest rating for the game since 1999, up 2 percent from last year - See more at: http://www.footballfoundation.org/tabid ... SpifX.dpuf"
Not true. We travel much better for Ole Miss and the like. The Army-Navy game drawing ratings when it is usually the only game on shows nothing.
DrBox
Riptide

jonathanjoseph wrote:

More proof (as if any more were necessary) that you're all about "I am right".
That has nothing to do with Yulman. Nothing.
"Tulane" cancelled the G Tech series? No, the inept AD Rick Dickson cancelled it...Cowen got it back.
We can easily schedule southern privates in Yulman to our hears content - Vandy, Duke, Wake, etc. WE can do what we've always done.

Army and Rice = Dickson laziness; as was the 1/4 with Duke that the incompetent Dickson scheduled when TU played in the dome.
Fred Dowler
Riptide

lurker123 wrote: Interesting that you acknowledge that Tulane will (usually) make a lot more money playing in Yulman than the SD. Isn't that the point?

Meanwhile if the carrot is big enough Tulane will use the SD the same way your local school in Berkeley with a 62,000 capacity stadium that it just spent hundreds of millions of dollars renovating is playing a game in Levi's stadium (billion dollar plus cost) with a capacity 69,000 or so.

My guess it would take a crowd of 50k plus to justify (so LSU, UA, UT or ND.) I don't see Ole Miss for example drawing that many or even Auburn or one of the Florida schools. They didn't when Tulane was playing and drawing well in the Dome or even old Tulane stadium. (The crowd for the Ole Miss game in 1979 which had a great atmosphere and Tulane was ranked and was played in November was about 47,000 or so.)

If you want to see what Tulane would draw in the SD even if it were in the SEC, look at Miami's attendance even with a ton of national championships. Play UF, FSU or ND, you draw great to your home games in an NFL stadium. After that your base crowd is 30,000 to 40,000 on a good evening.

Yes I wish Yulman sat 35,000 but that is it. The Saints and the Sugar Bowl and LSU drew 70,000+ in old Tulane stadium and the SD not Tulane. That's a simple fact and Cowen and crew finally recognized it and did something about it. What do you care what Yulman sits or stands? You're not going anyway.
Let's be honest here. If TU is going to be making more money now with the new stadium it's because of the notion of dramatically reducing the supply of seats in the name of forcing fans to pay up with the special donations is working out.

If OTOH TU doesn't move out from playing in the Superdome with its vast supply of available seats then if they really want interest and support then they absolutely have to have solid, winning teams and attractive schedules.

Which way are fans who just want to see good football being played going to know that TU as the offerer of the product is going to be feeling more pressure to deliver?

BTW I believe that the depiction that Cowen and Dickson and co. "finally recognized" the issue is not accurate. They had it in mind long ago, as long ago as the early 2000s, i.e. either before the secret athletics review or while it was under way. That's when I first remember hearing the complaining with the phraseology about the Superdome having too many seats and leaving TU without a way to make the fans have to make a commitment being used.

The other poster had it right. This is about getting the sports programs in the black and relieving the university of having to subsidize the sports programs. Nothing more.
Tulane sports: small football stadium, very small basketball arena, w̶i̶n̶n̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶p̶r̶o̶g̶r̶a̶m̶s̶, h̶o̶n̶e̶s̶t̶y̶ ̶a̶n̶d̶ ̶a̶c̶c̶o̶u̶n̶t̶a̶b̶i̶l̶i̶t̶y̶ , but, hey, now there's tailgating.