Future OOC Football Schedule/Games

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
Wave755
Tsunami

greenphantom wrote: Keep dreaming. Notre Dame is never coming to New Orleans to play Tulane. There was talk about them playing Baylor in the Dome but that fell through. Also, almost every school you listed is likely going to be on a 2 for 1 basis until we become more relevant. You should probably go check on the fries, they are probably done.
You and Scott Cowen should, "get a room." :D :) :lol:

nawlinspete
Riptide

Until Dickson is gone it will be difficult to schedule up. Dickson is unconcerned with the realities of Division 1 athletics.

Perception plays a large and growing role. Teams that challenge themselves to get better are perceived as better teams. One way to be perceived as a better team is to play against teams that are already perceived as 'better.' Another way, logically, is to WIN against these 'better' teams.

There is the rub: Dickson does not care whether we win; Dickson does not schedule 'better' teams. Dickson is in his same old, same old rut.

For both football and basketball.

We are at a crossroads and Dickson is guaranteed to choose the wrong path as he always has. A new AD is a necessity now:
Future football scheduling against better teams
Upgrading FB recruiting to encompass 4 and 5 star recruits through improved scheduling and winning against these better opponents.
Hiring a Top Grade Mens Basketball coach to bring similar results: better opponents, wins against these better opponents, better recruits who appreciate the better everything about MBB.

Dickson does not care to do any of these things.

Tulane needs to TERMINATE Dickson NOW and let a new AD begin these processes NOW.
President Fitts , B of A , it's put up or forever hold your peace time . Make Tulane ATHLETICS relevant and top 30 again .
nawlinspete
Riptide

Perception: Tulane sucks

Reality: Dickson sucks

Fire Dickson NOW:
New Perception: Tulane wants to be, and will be better
New Reality: Tulane wants to be, and will be better

QED
President Fitts , B of A , it's put up or forever hold your peace time . Make Tulane ATHLETICS relevant and top 30 again .
Wave755
Tsunami

Wave755 wrote:
greenphantom wrote: Keep dreaming. Notre Dame is never coming to New Orleans to play Tulane. There was talk about them playing Baylor in the Dome but that fell through. Also, almost every school you listed is likely going to be on a 2 for 1 basis until we become more relevant. You should probably go check on the fries, they are probably done.
On Saturday, August 30th @ 2:30 PM on NBC Rice plays Notre Dame @ South Bend, Indiana.
OUG
Riptide

Wave755 wrote:
Wave755 wrote:
On Saturday, August 30th @ 2:30 PM on NBC Rice plays Notre Dame @ South Bend, Indiana.
Notre Dame is the one "buy game" I would take, because of the national network tv platform on NBC. Only a handful of teams are on network tv NATIONALLY (not ABC's regional coverage) in any given week.
NOLA Fan
Ripple

Re OOC scheduling, my understanding from the LSU types is that they would play Tulane on a 4 or 5 to 1 rotation (it works with the 8 + 1 P5 schedule), but the older Tulane money types get their pride hurt with that rotation - something about thinking it should still be the 50's or 60's when it was one for one. Thus Dickson has his hands tied. That could be a discussion for another post on another day.
My question today is what rotation would you be willing to play LSU?
My take as a passing fan of both schools is that you can't beat them (or recruit against them) unless you play them. Therefore, 4 to 1 is fine until Tulane has earned the power position to change the rotation on the field, not by history.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

NOLA Fan wrote:Re OOC scheduling, my understanding from the LSU types is that they would play Tulane on a 4 or 5 to 1 rotation (it works with the 8 + 1 P5 schedule), but the older Tulane money types get their pride hurt with that rotation - something about thinking it should still be the 50's or 60's when it was one for one. Thus Dickson has his hands tied. That could be a discussion for another post on another day.
My take as a passing fan of both schools is that you can't beat them (or recruit against them) unless you play them. Therefore, 4 to 1 is fine until Tulane has earned the power position to change the rotation on the field, not by history.
I would only play ND a 4 for 1. It put's your football team at a severe disadvantage having to play 4 times in BR to every one time in the Superdome. It would be like 5 LSU home games to Zero for Tulane since they would bring 70% of the crowd to nola..
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
jonathanjoseph
Green Wave

NOLA Fan wrote:Re OOC scheduling, my understanding from the LSU types is that they would play Tulane on a 4 or 5 to 1 rotation (it works with the 8 + 1 P5 schedule), but the older Tulane money types get their pride hurt with that rotation - something about thinking it should still be the 50's or 60's when it was one for one. Thus Dickson has his hands tied. That could be a discussion for another post on another day.
+1. Just get them on the schedule. CJ can bring us that talent to compete.

Home games or not, hype it as the Louisiana rivalry game (like SC vs Clemson, Georgia vs GT, etc). It will definitely be on television.
Fred Dowler
Riptide

tpstulane wrote:
I would only play ND a 4 for 1. It put's your football team at a severe disadvantage having to play 4 times in BR to every one time in the Superdome. It would be like 5 LSU home games to Zero for Tulane since they would bring 70% of the crowd to nola..
If TU has the chance to be playing LSU at all and TU turns it down then whose fault is it for the teams not playing each other? You want to hold out for going back to one-and-one home-and-home like the old days. Well, those days are gone and probably not coming back unless TU becomes a program of very, very significant national stature. Either playing LSU matters and you play them on their terms or else you make up your mind that playing them doesn't matter and you forget about it.

BTW Notre Dame, for whom there seems to be some love apparently, to me is definitely not all that special.
Tulane sports: small football stadium, very small basketball arena, w̶i̶n̶n̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶p̶r̶o̶g̶r̶a̶m̶s̶, h̶o̶n̶e̶s̶t̶y̶ ̶a̶n̶d̶ ̶a̶c̶c̶o̶u̶n̶t̶a̶b̶i̶l̶i̶t̶y̶ , but, hey, now there's tailgating.
Wave755
Tsunami

Fred Dowler wrote:BTW Notre Dame, for whom there seems to be some love apparently, to me is definitely not all that special.
ND is still a big name program with its own network TV contract that we can conceivably beat after only a couple more good recruiting classes, that is why it would be so great to play them.
Fred Dowler
Riptide

Wave755 wrote:
Fred Dowler wrote:BTW Notre Dame, for whom there seems to be some love apparently, to me is definitely not all that special.
ND is still a big name program with its own network TV contract that we can conceivably beat after only a couple more good recruiting classes, that is why it would be so great to play them.
And, let's see, how did they do the last time (which I realize was very recent) that they got into the national championship game? And prior to that when were they last a legitimate national contender?
Tulane sports: small football stadium, very small basketball arena, w̶i̶n̶n̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶p̶r̶o̶g̶r̶a̶m̶s̶, h̶o̶n̶e̶s̶t̶y̶ ̶a̶n̶d̶ ̶a̶c̶c̶o̶u̶n̶t̶a̶b̶i̶l̶i̶t̶y̶ , but, hey, now there's tailgating.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Wave755 wrote:
Bingo! And I wouldn't do any new deal with LSU until they plays us the game they owe us in the Dome.
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
lurker123
Swell

ND is playing Rice this year and recently scheduled Tulsa. Why not Tulane?

Even with the compulsory five ACC games every year, ND by dropping most of its historic B1G annual schedule will open up a lot of games. Yes I'd start with being a road warrior in South Bend if that is what is needed to get this moving.
greenphantom
Swell

Wave755 wrote:
Wave755 wrote:
Point? When is ND scheduling the return trip to Rice?
Wave755
Tsunami

greenphantom wrote:
Wave755 wrote:
Wave755 wrote:
Who knows, but Tulane is in a world famous Roman Catholic and top destination city named New Orleans.
lurker123
Swell

greenphantom wrote:
Wave755 wrote:
Wave755 wrote:
I have no clue but I can assure you beating ND in South Bend on NBC will generate a lot more attention for your program and support from your fan base than beating SELA in Yulman. Remember both Miami and FSU beating LSU like drums every year in BR so bad several decades ago that LSU was begging out of the (home) game at the end of each five year series?

I'm not for being a road warrior in knee jerk fashion (it ultimately did not help USM) but selectively it can be very useful to raising your profile. See BSU for example.
sader24
Tsunami

My feeling towards LSU is until they return the game in the Dome there is nothing to talk about. They made a deal and they owe us a game in the Superdome which at this point is not even our home anymore. They are more than willing to take their show to Reliant Stadium in Houston, they should want to play in New Orleans their home freakin state. I think its ridiculous that they've been to Atlanta, Dallas, and Houston while they are still under contract for a game in New Orleans. Once that game is played I would be willing to play a 3 for 1 with the Superdome game as the 2nd game out of 4. 4 for 1 or 5 for 1 is ridiculous. 3 for 1 is more than fair considering we were home and home for 100 years. I graduated from LSU, and I've always been a fan of playing them at any cost b/c I do remember a couple of good games at the tail end of the rivalry when I was young, but going to BR 4 out of 5 times is ridiculous. BTW, 90+% of my friends are huge LSU fans (or at least while they are winning) and you would be surprised how many of them want to resume the series if we get good. The thing is if we can sneak into a P5 (ACC or Big 12) at some point then you play them strictly home and home or nothing else. We simply need to keep improving this program and building the fan base and good things will happen to us.
ccap05
Surge

sader24 wrote:My feeling towards LSU is until they return the game in the Dome there is nothing to talk about. They made a deal and they owe us a game in the Superdome which at this point is not even our home anymore. They are more than willing to take their show to Reliant Stadium in Houston, they should want to play in New Orleans their home freakin state. I think its ridiculous that they've been to Atlanta, Dallas, and Houston while they are still under contract for a game in New Orleans. Once that game is played I would be willing to play a 3 for 1 with the Superdome game as the 2nd game out of 4. 4 for 1 or 5 for 1 is ridiculous. 3 for 1 is more than fair considering we were home and home for 100 years. I graduated from LSU, and I've always been a fan of playing them at any cost b/c I do remember a couple of good games at the tail end of the rivalry when I was young, but going to BR 4 out of 5 times is ridiculous. BTW, 90+% of my friends are huge LSU fans (or at least while they are winning) and you would be surprised how many of them want to resume the series if we get good. The thing is if we can sneak into a P5 (ACC or Big 12) at some point then you play them strictly home and home or nothing else. We simply need to keep improving this program and building the fan base and good things will happen to us.
Very good post. If we want to be a P5 program we have to act like one. I think it is crazy that Tulane-LSU do not have a home/home series as does Auburn/Alabama, Ga-GaTech, NC/NC State, Fla/Fl St, ULM/UL-Laf. I understand that at this point it does not benefit LSU football (a win is expected, a loss possible and devastating and the economic realities of a sellout at Yullman are not the same as in a bigger stadium. However, in the long run having an in state rival is good for both the LSU football program and the athletic program as a whole. Having a rivalry with Tulane will increase interest in and attendance/press coverage of all other LSU/Tulane athletic competitions which will have the dual benefit of some increase in revenue and a definite increase in recruit interest. Tulane is the only possible in state rival for LSU. The current reality is that our football program is, in the best of all worlds, several years away from being a year in year out challenge for LSU, but we are on a long term upward trajectory. Such a series would also make us much more attractive to a future Big 12 (or ACC) bid which would have the effect of making a Tulane/LSU football rivalry much more attractive to LSU.
lurker123
Swell

ccap05 wrote:
sader24 wrote:My feeling towards LSU is until they return the game in the Dome there is nothing to talk about. They made a deal and they owe us a game in the Superdome which at this point is not even our home anymore. They are more than willing to take their show to Reliant Stadium in Houston, they should want to play in New Orleans their home freakin state. I think its ridiculous that they've been to Atlanta, Dallas, and Houston while they are still under contract for a game in New Orleans. Once that game is played I would be willing to play a 3 for 1 with the Superdome game as the 2nd game out of 4. 4 for 1 or 5 for 1 is ridiculous. 3 for 1 is more than fair considering we were home and home for 100 years. I graduated from LSU, and I've always been a fan of playing them at any cost b/c I do remember a couple of good games at the tail end of the rivalry when I was young, but going to BR 4 out of 5 times is ridiculous. BTW, 90+% of my friends are huge LSU fans (or at least while they are winning) and you would be surprised how many of them want to resume the series if we get good. The thing is if we can sneak into a P5 (ACC or Big 12) at some point then you play them strictly home and home or nothing else. We simply need to keep improving this program and building the fan base and good things will happen to us.
Very good post. If we want to be a P5 program we have to act like one. I think it is crazy that Tulane-LSU do not have a home/home series as does Auburn/Alabama, Ga-GaTech, NC/NC State, Fla/Fl St, ULM/UL-Laf. I understand that at this point it does not benefit LSU football (a win is expected, a loss possible and devastating and the economic realities of a sellout at Yullman are not the same as in a bigger stadium. However, in the long run having an in state rival is good for both the LSU football program and the athletic program as a whole. Having a rivalry with Tulane will increase interest in and attendance/press coverage of all other LSU/Tulane athletic competitions which will have the dual benefit of some increase in revenue and a definite increase in recruit interest. Tulane is the only possible in state rival for LSU. The current reality is that our football program is, in the best of all worlds, several years away from being a year in year out challenge for LSU, but we are on a long term upward trajectory. Such a series would also make us much more attractive to a future Big 12 (or ACC) bid which would have the effect of making a Tulane/LSU football rivalry much more attractive to LSU.
I agree with both of you. My comment was to why I might take a one and done road game w/ND. LSU owes TU a road game period which RD has done back flips to accomodate. End of story.

Meanwhile Tulane can win a national championship and never play LSU again. LSU does not have a lock on TU's football fate. I like playing LSU but if they don't want to live up to their contracts, so be it.
RobertM320
Green Wave

tpstulane wrote:

Do the same to them that they would do to us. Schedule the 4 to 1, postpone a couple of games, then when we get in a better situation, we tell them we can't justify the 4 to 1, so they either renegotiate or we cancel. And don't tell me they wouldn't do that.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

The problem w/getting the LSU game that's owed is our AD doesn't believe in the program. Hopefully he's gone after this year. Or if not hopefully this season gives him faith that we can play w/them. Either way after this season Tulane needs to amp up the public pressure to get LSU to play that game. Then let's beat them and take it from there at the negotiating table.
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
nawlinspete
Riptide

winwave wrote:The problem w/getting the LSU game that's owed is our AD doesn't believe in the program. Hopefully he's gone after this year. Or if not hopefully this season gives him faith that we can play w/them. Either way after this season Tulane needs to amp up the public pressure to get LSU to play that game. Then let's beat them and take it from there at the negotiating table.

Yes, RickyDicky must be gone YESTERDAY.

That said, however, LSU is not our salvation. They do not respect us, they denigrate us. We are our salvation.

WINNING is our objective. WINNING will fill our stadium, allow for additions when needed, and make us a more desirable scheduling partner. The focus on WINNING is essential, playing LSU is not.
wavemania
Surge

I would be willing to play LSU 2-1,possibly 3-1. But first they owe us a home game. And if we do agree, our home game must be first so if they want to cancel later, Tulane's home game would have already been played. As for ND, or even FSU, I would be willing to do a 2 for 1 or just one road game. That actually did work fine for S Miss, until they decided to fire Bower. That is when they became irrelevant.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

nawlinspete wrote:
winwave wrote:The problem w/getting the LSU game that's owed is our AD doesn't believe in the program. Hopefully he's gone after this year. Or if not hopefully this season gives him faith that we can play w/them. Either way after this season Tulane needs to amp up the public pressure to get LSU to play that game. Then let's beat them and take it from there at the negotiating table.

Yes, RickyDicky must be gone YESTERDAY.

That said, however, LSU is not our salvation. They do not respect us, they denigrate us. We are our salvation.

WINNING is our objective. WINNING will fill our stadium, allow for additions when needed, and make us a more desirable scheduling partner. The focus on WINNING is essential, playing LSU is not.
Show me where I said they are our salvation. They are however our rival and only a fool would try to deny that. If we want to be relevant we need to show we can play w/the big boys consistently year in and year out. Otherwise shut it down if that's not the goal. They are the nearest big boy and our rival so we should be aiming to get that series back on track.
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
GreenGears
Low Tide

greenphantom wrote:
Wave755 wrote:
Wave755 wrote:
The correct analogy is ND plays home and away with Purdue every year. We could be the Purdue to LSU.