Future OOC Football Schedule/Games

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
JerseyWave
Riptide

I don't expect any changes until after the basketball season.. That's when Fitts should ask himself, " how could Dickson have given this coach a contract extension?" Ideally Dickson is out next March, and then National Search can take place for his successor to be in place at the start of the 2015 academic year.

As for future out of conference opponents here are the schools that I believe would be possible and make sense to get them to play in Yulman:

TCU
Baylor
Southern Miss
University of Virginia
Vanderbilt
UNC-Chapel Hill
Northwestern(of the Big 10)
Arizona(RR)
Arizona St (they're recruiting the hell out of New Orleans)
The U (they'll play anyone, anywhere)

OUG
Riptide

JerseyWave wrote:I don't expect any changes until after the basketball season.. That's when Fitts should ask himself, " how could Dickson have given this coach a contract extension?" Ideally Dickson is out next March, and then National Search can take place for his successor to be in place at the start of the 2015 academic year.

As for future out of conference opponents here are the schools that I believe would be possible and make sense to get them to play in Yulman:

TCU
Baylor
Southern Miss
University of Virginia
Vanderbilt
UNC-Chapel Hill
Arizona(RR)
It will be a challenge to get TCU, Baylor, Arizona, and Arizona State, because those conferences play 9 games. Assuming they typically like to play 2 OOC home games (including likely a FCS tuneup), that only leaves maybe one road game OOC a season. I'm not saying it is impossible, but the 9 game schedule makes it harder than you'd think.

Northwestern would be cool, but I notice that most OOC games in the B1G are with MAC schools, FCS, and the occasional P5 conference team. Even in the old C-USA (which is sort of the new AAC) only Cincy really ever scheduled those teams.

I think our best bets are going to be ACC schools and SEC schools. UVA, Vandy, Miami, UNC, Duke, GT, Wake, Boston College, Ole Miss, Arkansas, Miss State -- this should be the core group we will have the most success scheduling.
Wave755
Tsunami

JerseyWave wrote:I don't expect any changes until after the basketball season.. That's when Fitts should ask himself, " how could Dickson have given this coach a contract extension?" Ideally Dickson is out next March, and then National Search can take place for his successor to be in place at the start of the 2015 academic year.

TCU
Baylor
Southern Miss
University of Virginia
Vanderbilt
UNC-Chapel Hill
Arizona(RR)
Time to forget about playing USM, ULALA, La Tech, & UL-Monroe. Since now an AAC member we have a big recruiting edge over USM, ULALA, La Tech, & UL-Monroe, let's keep it that way, our strategy should be to get every good player staying in state LSU doesn't offer. We now have nothing to gain by playing USM, ULALA, La Tech, & UL-Monroe, so let's not play them anymore (the rematch with ULALA in '16 is OK only because of the '13 N.O. Bowl).
wave97
Swell

Time to forget about playing USM, ULALA, La Tech, & UL-Monroe. Since now an AAC member we have a big recruiting edge over USM, ULALA, La Tech, & UL-Monroe, let's keep it that way, our strategy should be to get every good player staying in state LSU doesn't offer. We now have nothing to gain by playing USM, ULALA, La Tech, & UL-Monroe, so let's not play them anymore (the rematch with ULALA in '16 is OK only because of the '13 N.O. Bowl).
+1
nawlinspete
Riptide

Come on Ricky, we're waiting.

President Fitts, please tell Ricky to tell us what he has planned beyond his last announcement of more than 18 months ago.
President Fitts , B of A , it's put up or forever hold your peace time . Make Tulane ATHLETICS relevant and top 30 again .
nawlinspete
Riptide

Come on Ricky, we're waiting.

President Fitts, please tell Ricky to tell us what he has planned beyond his last announcement of more than 18 months ago.
President Fitts , B of A , it's put up or forever hold your peace time . Make Tulane ATHLETICS relevant and top 30 again .
DrBox
Riptide

Wave755 wrote:

TCU
Baylor
Southern Miss
University of Virginia
Vanderbilt
UNC-Chapel Hill
Arizona(RR)
I like Jersey's list.
I've never liked playing the Louisiana regionals, so I'm with yall there too.
I wouldn't mind USM if they are still USM. Maybe they are, maybe they aren't. Find out soon.
Eaglewave
Swell

I have non problem with playing ULM, ULL and La Tech every so often. I don't ever want to see two of them on the same schedule. In state games are always fun. ULL has really been selling tickets in the Hud era.
Ball Sumrall!
Wave755
Tsunami

In the past we lost many a good player to USM, now in the AAC we can make certain that never happens again, USM is down and we need to keep them down (yes, Machiavellian, but you want to get serious or what?). Playing the likes of ULALA, La Tech, & UL-Monroe
places us on their level; better to play programs like GT, Duke, UVA and other national universities of Tulane's caliber. Compare how excited our fan base is and how much more national exposure we receive playing GT rather than a USM of the college football world?
sader24
Tsunami

I agree for the most part. Something to remember is we cant play 4 P5 schools every year. That would be a really tough schedule so my hope is to play 3 mostly, sometimes 2, every once in awhile 4. We are going to have to play a few schools beneath us conference wise and my feeling is I would rather play ULL and USM, 2 schools we have a history with and that will travel here and vice versa than ULM, La.Tech, SLU, Rice, Army. There is certainly validity to the point of not playing ULL in order to keep them down, but I've always enjoyed those games. I certainly think our focus needs to be on playing ACC Schools (Miami, WF, GT, Duke, UVA, UNC) the Mississippis and Vandy. Take a shot with a big name every now and then (BAMA, Auburn, Georgia, Texas, Oklahoma, LSU if that's ever possible again). We should try to get a big name team in the Dome once every 3 or 4 years.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

If we want the program to be truly successful we getter get a big time team in the Dome every year. We can get an Ole Miss, Miss. Stare and the like to fill that bill then a Bama,Texas ,FSU here once every 3 or 4 years. We should also have a focus on playing Big 12 teams as that is our best shot if any of moving up conference wise.
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
Eaglewave
Swell

sader24 wrote:I agree for the most part. Something to remember is we cant play 4 P5 schools every year. That would be a really tough schedule so my hope is to play 3 mostly, sometimes 2, every once in awhile 4. We are going to have to play a few schools beneath us conference wise and my feeling is I would rather play ULL and USM, 2 schools we have a history with and that will travel here and vice versa than ULM, La.Tech, SLU, Rice, Army. There is certainly validity to the point of not playing ULL in order to keep them down, but I've always enjoyed those games. I certainly think our focus needs to be on playing ACC Schools (Miami, WF, GT, Duke, UVA, UNC) the Mississippis and Vandy. Take a shot with a big name every now and then (BAMA, Auburn, Georgia, Texas, Oklahoma, LSU if that's ever possible again). We should try to get a big name team in the Dome once every 3 or 4 years.

I agree.

I know we are in the AAC now, but some fans are talking like we are in the ACC! We still have plenty of winning seasons and bowl appearances ahead before we can start looking down on anyone. It's amazing how soon many have forgotten how we finished 7-6 in the worst C-USA of all time. Anyone who doesn't agree needs to refer to the 2014 Liberty Bowl.

Wish List

SEC- Any Team (Every year)

Big 12- Baylor, Texas Tech, TCU, Iowa State (Every year)

ACC- Duke, Georgia Tech, Wake Forrest, Virginia (Every year)

Independent- Army, Navy, BYU (Every other year)

Big Ten- Illinois, Indiana, Purdue

Pac 12- Colorado, Utah, Wash St, Cal

MWC- Air Force, Hawaii

C-USA- La Tech, USM (Every other year)

Sun Belt- ULL, ULM, USA (Every other year)

MAC- Akron, Buffalo, Northern Illinois

FCS- McNeese State, SLU, Southern
Ball Sumrall!
greenphantom
Swell

Eaglewave wrote:
sader24 wrote:I agree for the most part. Something to remember is we cant play 4 P5 schools every year. That would be a really tough schedule so my hope is to play 3 mostly, sometimes 2, every once in awhile 4. We are going to have to play a few schools beneath us conference wise and my feeling is I would rather play ULL and USM, 2 schools we have a history with and that will travel here and vice versa than ULM, La.Tech, SLU, Rice, Army. There is certainly validity to the point of not playing ULL in order to keep them down, but I've always enjoyed those games. I certainly think our focus needs to be on playing ACC Schools (Miami, WF, GT, Duke, UVA, UNC) the Mississippis and Vandy. Take a shot with a big name every now and then (BAMA, Auburn, Georgia, Texas, Oklahoma, LSU if that's ever possible again). We should try to get a big name team in the Dome once every 3 or 4 years.

I agree.

I know we are in the AAC now, but some fans are talking like we are in the ACC! We still have plenty of winning seasons and bowl appearances ahead before we can start looking down on anyone. It's amazing how soon many have forgotten how we finished 7-6 in the worst C-USA of all time. Anyone who doesn't agree needs to refer to the 2014 Liberty Bowl.
+1. There are still huge advantages to playing USM and UL, particularly from an attendance and local interest factor. The teams from the P5 conferences are not beating down the door to schedule a home and home series with Tulane. Also, I don't think a recruit is going to base their decision on the outcome of a football game or playing those teams is somehow going to vault them to a high level.
nawlinspete
Riptide

If we are truly seeking upward mobility to the ACC or The Big 12 then we must show that we are able to compete with them.

To show that we are able to compete with them we must play them.

To play them we must not schedule the likes of Monroe, Lafayette, SE, Southern, La Tech, Rice, UAB.

To show The Big East and the ACC that we are a positive addition we must schedule ACC and The Big 12. We must seek to play all of the teams in the Conferences we aspire to.

We are not aspiring to the Sun Belt, CUSA, etc. Therefore we should not play them.

We are not Michigan, Stanford , or even Boise. Boise did not get to be Boise by continuing to play nobodies. We MUST stop playing nobodies and aspire to excellence.

For example this fall Marshall is being ridiculed for scheduling nobodies while wanting to be called somebody.

And, contrary to what another posted above RECRUITS want to play for teams that play name brand universities.
Last edited by nawlinspete on Fri Aug 15, 2014 9:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
Eaglewave
Swell

nawlinspete wrote:If we are truly seeking upward mobility to the ACC or The Big 12 then we must show that we are able to compete with them.

To show that we are able to compete with them we must play them.

To play them we must not schedule the likes of Monroe, Lafayette, SE, Southern, La Tech, Rice, UAB.

To show The Big East and the ACC that we are a positive addition we must schedule ACC and The Big 12. We must amy for all of the teams in the Conferences we aspire to.

We are not aspiring to the Sun Belt, CUSA, etc.

And, contrary to what another posted above RECRUITS want to play for teams that play name brand universities.

Nobody said don't schedule ACC and Big 12 teams. There is nothing wrong with playing ULM and week before facing off against Texas Tech. There is nothing wrong with playing La Tech a week after playing Mississippi State. There is nothing wrong with playing SLU to begin the season before facing back to back games at Clemson and Vanderbilt. If CJ can recruit with the schedule looking like it did last season. I know he will be fine in a schedule with ULL, Wake Forrest, TCU and Iowa State on it.
Ball Sumrall!
Wave755
Tsunami

Eaglewave wrote: I know we are in the AAC now, but some fans are talking like we are in the ACC! We still have plenty of winning seasons and bowl appearances ahead before we can start looking down on anyone. It's amazing how soon many have forgotten how we finished 7-6 in the worst C-USA of all time. Anyone who doesn't agree needs to refer to the 2014 Liberty Bowl.
In the late 70's we played Stanford in the Dome and at Palo Alto. I am talking like a fan of a famous university in a famous city. When I was at Tulane I was shocked by how many students hadn't even heard of USM. For people from the Northeast and places like California, there are only 5 "real" universities in the South-Duke, Vandy, Emory, Tulane & Rice. USM is way down and I wonder how much interest there truly is at present in playing for either fan base? There is also no real fan interest for playing UL-Monroe or La. Tech. When we played UL-Monroe in the Dome in 2012 they had a decent team but brought almost no one to the City.

While I agree with our emphasis for local recruiting, we must remember Roch Hontas is from Ohio, Shaun King Florida, & J. P. Losman & Ryan Griffin California. Perhaps one "tune up" game a year with a Louisiana team, but we must think national and seek to elevate our profile. Tulane and New Orleans are a very attractive package for scheduling well known national universities our fan base can get truly excited about playing.

And, there is already talk of one sponsored game a year in the Dome, but first let's get Yulman up and running.
Last edited by Wave755 on Fri Aug 15, 2014 11:34 am, edited 3 times in total.
ajcalhoun
Swell

Wave755 wrote:There is already talk of one sponsored game a year in the Dome,
This is news to me. Do you have a link?
God Bless Everyone!
nawlinspete
Riptide

Totally agree, Wave 755. There is everything to be gained by playing name brands.

There is nothing to be gained by playing the likes of Monroe, SE, Tech, Southern or Lafayette.

We need to broaden our own name brand and playing the Louisiana directionals accomplishes nothing, even when we win.

Also, as you suggested, the time is now to again recruit the best not only in Louisiana but also nationally.

Additionally we must grow our credentials so that when others try to hire away our coaches we can assure them that there is no need to seek exposure elsewhere.

And, by implication, we must also start to schedule substantially better in Mens Basketball also. And once Dickson and Conroy are past tense we must hire a name brand MBB coach.

We have the coaches in place for a Top 25 FB program. We must start recruiting to that level.

And we must stop the putrid 295th SOS scheduling with our new MensBB coach.

Dream Big; we must strive for the best not only in the State of Tulane but also in the United States. Four and Five Star Recruits; join us.
Wave755
Tsunami

ajcalhoun wrote:
Wave755 wrote:There is already talk of one sponsored game a year in the Dome,
This is news to me. Do you have a link?
High placed friend at Wilson Center.
greenphantom
Swell

P5 schools are not beating down the door to schedule home and home series with tulane for the same reasons some of you are looking down on scheduling other local schools. Would be great if we could, but it's not reality unless we play a lot of 2 for 1s and money games. Playing the Cajuns in the Bowl was beneficial for both schools, and yes, we benefited greatly from the local interest. If we're afraid to play USM or UL, then we really should shut down the program.
Eaglewave
Swell

nawlinspete wrote:Totally agree, Wave 755. There is everything to be gained by playing name brands.

There is nothing to be gained by playing the likes of Monroe, SE, Tech, Southern or Lafayette.

We need to broaden our own name brand and playing the Louisiana directionals accomplishes nothing, even when we win.

Also, as you suggested, the time is now to again recruit the best not only in Louisiana but also nationally.

Additionally we must grow our credentials so that when others try to hire away our coaches we can assure them that there is no need to seek exposure elsewhere.

And, by implication, we must also start to schedule substantially better in Mens Basketball also. And once Dickson and Conroy are past tense we must hire a name brand MBB coach.

We have the coaches in place for a Top 25 FB program. We must start recruiting to that level.

And we must stop the putrid 295th SOS scheduling with our new MensBB coach.

Dream Big; we must strive for the best not only in the State of Tulane but also in the United States. Four and Five Star Recruits; join us.

Those wins against ULM and La Tech helped us become bowl eligible.
Ball Sumrall!
Wave755
Tsunami

greenphantom wrote:P5 schools are not beating down the door to schedule home and home series with tulane for the same reasons some of you are looking down on scheduling other local schools. Would be great if we could, but it's not reality unless we play a lot of 2 for 1s and money games. Playing the Cajuns in the Bowl was beneficial for both schools, and yes, we benefited greatly from the local interest. If we're afraid to play USM or UL, then we really should shut down the program.
In regard to not playing USM & ULALA, please don't confuse apathy and disinterest for fear; I have no desire to play Nichols State but do not fear them. And, I would also hope in time through the ACC we play a home & home series with Thomas Jefferson's University of Virginia, another national university in Tulane's class. I have been to Monticello, but would love and welcome the opportunity to go again.
Last edited by Wave755 on Fri Aug 15, 2014 1:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Eaglewave
Swell

Wave755 wrote:
Eaglewave wrote: I know we are in the AAC now, but some fans are talking like we are in the ACC! We still have plenty of winning seasons and bowl appearances ahead before we can start looking down on anyone. It's amazing how soon many have forgotten how we finished 7-6 in the worst C-USA of all time. Anyone who doesn't agree needs to refer to the 2014 Liberty Bowl.
In the late 70's we played Stanford in the Dome and at Palo Alto. I am talking like a fan of a famous university in a famous city. When I was at Tulane I was shocked by how many students hadn't even heard of USM. For people from the Northeast and places like California, there are only 5 "real" universities in the South-Duke, Vandy, Emory, Tulane & Rice. USM is way down and I wonder how much interest there truly is at present in playing for either fan base? There is also no real fan interest for playing UL-Monroe or La. Tech. When we played UL-Monroe in the Dome in 2012 they had a decent team but brought almost no one to the City.

While I agree with our emphasis for local recruiting, we must remember Roch Hontas is from Ohio, Shaun King Florida, & J. P. Losman & Ryan Griffin California. Perhaps one "tune up" game a year with a Louisiana team, but we must think national and seek to elevate our profile. Tulane and New Orleans are a very attractive package for scheduling well known national universities our fan base can get truly excited about playing.

And, there is already talk of one sponsored game a year in the Dome, but first let's get Yulman up and running.

Times are different now. ULL is currently a respected FBS football program. There are plenty of top 25 programs who play against FCS program every so often. There is nothing wrong with have La Tech and Mississippi State on the same schedule. We must focus on creating a schedule that allows us to "always" have a winning season. Please understand that I am not saying that we need a cupcake schedule.

Example 1:

Week 1 ULL
Week 2 USA
Week 3 Army
Week 4 Mississippi State
(Give the team a shot at being 3-0 before a SEC test.)

Example 2:

Week 1 SLU
Week 2 Wake Forrest
Week 3 #3 Oklahoma
Week 8 ULM
(If we upset #3 Oklahoma or even put up a fight, you think any recruit or media will give a crap about us playing SLU in week 1?)

Example 3:

Week 1 #2 Alabama
Week 2 Indiana
Week 3 Iowa State
Week 5 La Tech
(Start out the season playing a powerhouse, but don't shoot your season in the head.)
Ball Sumrall!
nawlinspete
Riptide

Not wanting to play local local directionals has nothing to do with being afraid.

The point is to broaden our fan base and develop our brand name and credibility so that we can compete with upper echelon schools on the field, on the court and in recruiting. The local locals add nothing. The Haves will schedule us if we appear to be serious in our desire to compete, and scheduling up is required. Scheduling the Monroes and the Lafayettes does nothing for our attempt to up brand and achieve excellence.

We have become the victim of Dickson's laziness in everything he does. He is taking the [ath of least resistance and least amount of energy expended, just as his lackies Toledo, Scelfo had done.

Dickson must go for Tulane to become excellent. He does not have the heart or work ethic to seek excellence.
Wave755
Tsunami

nawlinspete wrote:Not wanting to play local local directionals has nothing to do with being afraid.

The point is to broaden our fan base and develop our brand name and credibility so that we can compete with upper echelon schools on the field, on the court and in recruiting. The local locals add nothing. The Haves will schedule us if we appear to be serious in our desire to compete, and scheduling up is required. Scheduling the Monroes and the Lafayettes does nothing for our attempt to up brand and achieve excellence.

We have become the victim of Dickson's laziness in everything he does. He is taking the [ath of least resistance and least amount of energy expended, just as his lackies Toledo, Scelfo had done.

Dickson must go for Tulane to become excellent. He does not have the heart or work ethic to seek excellence.
+1, as Tommy Bowden said in all sincerity, "Tulane can be anything it wants to be for Div. 1 football." Question, "what does Michael Fitts want for us to be for Div. 1 football?" Cowen was and Dickson still is comfortable for defining Tulane for Div. 1 football as, "the rival of ULALA."
Last edited by Wave755 on Sat Aug 16, 2014 3:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.