Future OOC Football Schedule/Games

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Timing is everything. Tulane has made positive changes in their athletic department. LSU has a new AD .The Dome should be trying to get the two playing together again. Since we left everyone expected there to be a Kick-off classic type game there. It hasn't happened. This could fill the bill. TD should be putting that in the Dome's ear.

BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
Wave755
Tsunami

DfromCT wrote: Thu May 02, 2019 10:00 pm
oliveandblue wrote: Thu May 02, 2019 8:49 pm
Wavetime wrote: Thu May 02, 2019 6:46 pm I don't care what some people say, there are LSU people that want to play Tulane, especially the older folks. The younger crowd is indifferent, but they believe they are better than us. All it takes is 1 victory,,,just 1,,,then we'll be off and running again.

The press would eat it up after they get over themselves. The only thing that's been missing is commitment from us. We've had an elevation in commitment since Fitts is here.
It's a dead series. A relic of the past.

Our future involves pulling level with Houston/Cincy/Memphis types, and then from there building our own identity.

Tulane should not peg its own value against that of LSU. That's little brother stuff.
There's nothing that says we're "pegging our value" on how we do versus LSU. Many folks would rather see us play LSU than OU, OSU, Auburn and the other teams we rent ourselves out to. It's a damned rivalry, so what if it's lopsided? Playing them will help recruiting, will help attendance and will lift the program. And I'm not saying we play them instead of our FCS game (which most FBS teams play every year.) Even now, with a much improved team, we'd be at least 2 if not 3 TD underdogs. But I'd like to see them play. Too many fond memories of Thanksgiving games. That's when the game should be played as well, and I don't care if it has our "home" game in the Superdome giving LSU 1/2 of the tickets. Play the damned game!

Otherwise admit that we shouldn't play them in Basketball or Baseball as well.

By saying we should only focus on pulling even with the top of the AAC exemplifies a defeatist attitude. We don't need to beat LSU regularly, just often enough to make the folks in the state that DONT root for LSU become Tulane fans. It's called building a fan base, sometimes you need a natural rival. There's nothing close to State vs. Private in-state to do so. And we have a very long history that saw Tulane have a fan base that is now a tiny fraction of what it once was.
At the close of last season by Sagarin’s ratings system LSU would have been just under a 20 pt. favorite over us on a neutral field.

I remember in 2007 we were a 40 pt. underdog at the Dome and lost 34 to 9 after leading at half. In 2008 we lost at B.R. 35 to 10 and in 2009 we lost again at B.R. 42 to 0 with “Buffet Bob” Toledo running right at them “smash mouth” all game together with one or two of his infamous “gadget plays” mixed-in to no avail.

For the 2008 game “Tricky Dick” Rick Dickson did try to organize buses to B.R. but there was so little Tulane fan interest we could not fill even one bus and Dickson cancelled the LSU game bus trip in its entirety.

In 1997 we would have taken LSU “right down to the wire”; in 1998 we would have beaten them even at B.R. LSU wouldn’t play us in the late nineties because they feared losing and hoped if they boycotted us for long enough our program might just “go away.” And then, in July 1998 Scott Cowen became Tulane president and you know the rest, we became a total joke and laughingstock for Division 1 college football.

The 2019 team should be our best team since 1998 and if we were to play LSWho this year it would be a competitive game.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Playing us in the Dome would also fulfill O's mantra about keeping things in Louisiana. Really put the spotlight on Louisiana football.
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

mbawavefan12 wrote: Sat May 04, 2019 9:00 am
DfromCT wrote: Sat May 04, 2019 8:34 am Giving them 50% of the ticket sales at the Superdome makes it a neutral site game, which doesn't count against their maximum number of home games. There's so many things in this thread about LSU vs. Tulane that make no sense. What makes sense is playing it in the Dome every year, and both teams getting their full allotment of "home" games. If we beat them once every so often the rivalry will be fierce and the fan base for Tulane will grow in leaps and bounds. Folks young and old want an alternative to rooting for LSU.

If you build it they will come.
I don’t think that is how it works for LSU. Right or wrong, they want 3 home OOC games and 1 P5 OOC game. Now on the years that the 1 OOC P5 game is played in Tiger Stad then the TU dome game would work (like when they played Cuse in TS) but the TU game could not be every year(like when they play Wisconsin in a neutral location). It stinks but unfortunately LSU has the leverage.

I present for ur entertainment and to participate. :

https://www.tigerdroppings.com/rant/lsu ... /83347624/
There is a LIMIT to how many home games you can have. Unless the NCAA rules have changed, it's 7 games. That's how it works across ALL NCAA D1 (FCS or FBS) football programs. You get the opportunity for an 8th if you play AT Hawaii. Getting a "neutral site" game versus Tulane in New Orleans at the Superdome gives them, in effect, close to an 8th home game.
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
Bicoastalwave
Riptide

It is impressive that the majority of that thread from tigerdroppings is about them still being angry at the streaming/ticketprice fiasco. Also dannen did is poor job explaining his rationale on that one.

25% of that board has some sense, and the rest seem like they should be Mississippi state fans.
Bicoastalwave
Riptide

Yes to what DP and Win said. We should alternate between dome (giving them most of the tickets and gate) and tiger stadium. Their fans in new orleans would be ecstatic, it keeps it in Louisiana and is a defacto home game that doesnt count against their alottment. Done
Wavetime
Swell

I'd love for that to happen. LSU would have their 7 home games and we'd have our 6 in Yulman. This would just be fantastic and would help us get better.
greenie78
Riptide

LSU has no incentive to schedule us away from Tiger Stadium.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

greenie78 wrote: Sat May 04, 2019 12:28 pm LSU has no incentive to schedule us away from Tiger Stadium.
How about it NOT COUNTING towards their 7 maximum home games?

Playing in the Superdome every year would give them, effectively, 8 home games.

Play it year after year in the Dome and build a whole new tradition. Even if it's the day after Thanksgiving, I'd be in favor of it. Get ESPN GameDay on-site (something FCS schools have done many more times than Tulane or LSU) and make it an event the entire Metro New Orleans area cannot miss. Have bands and an awesome pregame show. This is an opportunity for both Tulane and LSU to benefit. Certainly playing a "neutral site" 8th home game is preferable to playing Alcorn State or whatever rent a win LSU schedules that eats up one of the 7 maximum home games.

No incentive? Open your eyes.
Last edited by DfromCT on Sat May 04, 2019 4:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Wave QB
Swell

I wouldn’t mind seeing us play LSU in the dome in another 3-4 years. We aren’t were we need to be as a football program for me to want to see them anytime soon.
mbawavefan12
Tsunami

DfromCT wrote: Sat May 04, 2019 12:38 pm
greenie78 wrote: Sat May 04, 2019 12:28 pm LSU has no incentive to schedule us away from Tiger Stadium.

Play it year after year in the Dome and build a whole new tradition. Even if it's the day after Thanksgiving, I'd be in favor of it. Get ESPN GameDay on-site (something FCS schools have done many more times than Tulane or LSU) and make it an event the entire Metro New Orleans area cannot miss. Have bands and an awesome pregame show. This is an opportunity for both Tulane and LSU to benefit. Certainly playing a "neutral site" 8th home game is preferable to playing Alcorn State or whatever rent a win LSU schedules that eats up one of the 7 maximum home games.

But they already do neutral site games against marquee opponents in which they get a massive check. Look at the baseball series, they spit on TU. If they played in the dome they would do all they can to set it up against a prime P5 opponent as that would give them a much bigger check from the tv networks than sharing ticket revenue with TU. I guess that could change if we became nationally marquee but that is a long ways off and pretty doubtful unless we got into the B12.
I hope something can be worked out but LSU cares only about themselves and have shown only declining interest in TU games. Fans have been complaining for a few years about their schedule and they do nothing. In the three sports that matter they play a litany of bums and yet still avoid their rival 70 miles away. Screw them and their Fball camp. Again, why in the world would they act like our friend and keep LA prospects in state by sharing our Fball camp, then turn around and pay freakin Rice $1.5mm for a one off game in Baton Rouge? It is so shady.
Last edited by mbawavefan12 on Sat May 04, 2019 4:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Wave755
Tsunami

Wave QB wrote: Sat May 04, 2019 3:06 pm I wouldn’t mind seeing us play LSU in the dome in another 3-4 years. We aren’t were we need to be as a football program for me to want to see them anytime soon.
Eamon Kelly served as Tulane president for 17.5 years, Scott Cowen for 16 years. Michael Fitts and his people have “righted the ship” for Tulane athletics. Michael Fitts will only have been Tulane president for 5 years this coming July! :D 👍🏻✌🏻
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Remember that they just fired their AD That wasn't based only on WAde's situation. It had been brewing for a long time because he didn't listen to their fans. Their fans also are now at a point where they get that with playing in the SEC every game can't be against a powerhouse but they have had their fill of some of those bums you referenced. So as I noted above the timing to look to us as a good alternative is there.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

winwave wrote: Sat May 04, 2019 4:38 pm Remember that they just fired their AD That wasn't based only on WAde's situation. It had been brewing for a long time because he didn't listen to their fans. Their fans also are now at a point where they get that with playing in the SEC every game can't be against a powerhouse but they have had their fill of some of those bums you referenced. So as I noted above the timing to look to us as a good alternative is there.
DIng! Ding! DIng! Ding!

We agree for a change, ww.

That's exactly my point. Both administrations have turned over to the point where we have a POSSIBILITY to renew a dormant but very long term and natural rivalry. LETS DO IT!
HoustonWave
Tsunami

DfromCT wrote: Sat May 04, 2019 12:38 pm

Exactly. And divide the Superdome ticket allocation based on the relative home
stadium capacities (thereby giving Tulane one more reason to expand Yulman). Initially the ticket split might be 75% LSU and 25% Tulane, with each school doing its own pricing. I would also not be adverse to sometimes moving to Tiger Stadium in the years when their 1 OOC P5 game is on the road. As far as baseball and basketball, Dannen shouldn’t jack the prices on LSU fans—our athletic program shouldn’t “lean” on LSU’s program, we must stand on our own. And we can stand on our own while playing LSU on terms that recognizes their economic drivers. All it takes is some creative structuring by Dannen and Woodward—lets hope it happens. A renewed Tulane/LSU rivalry would benefit both schools and fans throughout Louisiana.
Tulane is the University of Louisiana
Jaxwave
Swell

“Always expect and never blame someone for acting in their own best interests.” This was the advice my last skipper gave me as I left the navy. He said it would take all the vitriol out of most negotiations. I have relied on that advice many times in the last 40 years whether it was in my business or private life. It works.
Until we completely understand exactly what LSU gets out of playing us (additional “home” game, monetary rewards, happy NO alumni, etc.) vs what they avoid by not playing us (chance of embarrassing loss, helping a former rival stay down by not assisting them monetarily and possibly giving Tulane a spark of relevance in college football).
Additionally, the biggest risk is that any AD who reinstates the game is putting his neck on the line unnecessarily with a possible loss to Tulane, especially a newly hired one.
To me the deal would have to be so overwhelming in their favor like 3 of 4 years in BR with 1 year in NO with 75% of tickets and revenue going to LSU in that game that I’m not sure whatever prideful Tulane fans have left would accept that paltry of a deal.
I hate LSU with every fiber of my being, and I hope they lose every athletic event from this time forward, but because I expect and don’t blame them for acting in their own best interests, I am ambivalent about playing them and certainly losing no sleep over it.
GreenLantern
Riptide

Jaxwave wrote: Sun May 05, 2019 1:03 pm “Always expect and never blame someone for acting in their own best interests.” This was the advice my last skipper gave me as I left the navy. He said it would take all the vitriol out of most negotiations. I have relied on that advice many times in the last 40 years whether it was in my business or private life. It works.
Until we completely understand exactly what LSU gets out of playing us (additional “home” game, monetary rewards, happy NO alumni, etc.) vs what they avoid by not playing us (chance of embarrassing loss, helping a former rival stay down by not assisting them monetarily and possibly giving Tulane a spark of relevance in college football).
Additionally, the biggest risk is that any AD who reinstates the game is putting his neck on the line unnecessarily with a possible loss to Tulane, especially a newly hired one.
To me the deal would have to be so overwhelming in their favor like 3 of 4 years in BR with 1 year in NO with 75% of tickets and revenue going to LSU in that game that I’m not sure whatever prideful Tulane fans have left would accept that paltry of a deal.
I hate LSU with every fiber of my being, and I hope they lose every athletic event from this time forward, but because I expect and don’t blame them for acting in their own best interests, I am ambivalent about playing them and certainly losing no sleep over it.
Perfectly logical.
Bicoastalwave
Riptide

+1
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

The pride of the few of us that remain adamant Tulane fans is secondary. Get the rivalry back on schedule whatever it takes. When we're good enough to demand better terms, we can. But the rivalry renewed will help recruiting AND building back a fan base that's been decimated since we haven't played LSU in football every year. Ignoring that fact is simply putting your head in the sand and accepting Tulane Athletics with a fan base under 10k.
Sunamiwave
High Tide

The fan base was not decimated because we stopped playing LSU. The fan base was decimated because we have been consistently losing for the past forty plus years. It looks like we are finally starting to build a winner on the football field but it needs to be consistent winning over the next decade in order to start building the fan base back up. I agree that we should play LSU but you are giving them way too much credit in terms of building a larger Tulane fan base. If we beat Auburn this year or Oklahoma when we play them the following season that will do just as much for us as beating LSU.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

Not in the state of Louisiana it won't. Playing LSU regularly, win or lose, gives in state fans that don't like LSU a reason to root for Tulane regardless of the outcome. And there is a percentage of in-state football fans that are turned off by LSU looking for a reason to root for Tulane. It's that way in every state in the country, many get turned off by the state school that is a football factory.

I never claimed that our fan base was decimated by not playing LSU. Had we been a winning program the last 20+ years (or 50+ if you want to get technical) it wouldn't have mattered if LSU was on the schedule or not. But not having the Tigers on the schedule gave the casual fan a reason to stop considering rooting for Tulane.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

To be clear de-emphasis was declared in 1949. It's been 70 years of losing since.
Jaxwave
Swell

DfromCT wrote: Sun May 05, 2019 7:21 pm Not in the state of Louisiana it won't. Playing LSU regularly, win or lose, gives in state fans that don't like LSU a reason to root for Tulane regardless of the outcome. And there is a percentage of in-state football fans that are turned off by LSU looking for a reason to root for Tulane. It's that way in every state in the country, many get turned off by the state school that is a football factory.

I never claimed that our fan base was decimated by not playing LSU. Had we been a winning program the last 20+ years (or 50+ if you want to get technical) it wouldn't have mattered if LSU was on the schedule or not. But not having the Tigers on the schedule gave the casual fan a reason to stop considering rooting for Tulane.
Good post. Not withstanding my post above, not having the chance to beat them occasionally has significantly decreased my overall interest in Tulane athletics. After experiencing that rivalry during its heyday as well as games vs other current P5 programs, it’s really hard to get my juices flowing about the current scheduled opponents.
Bicoastalwave
Riptide

Good posts abound above. I do dislike people being so negative about our current schedule . . . Lets compare it to the not so distant past of Conference USA. Yes its not the SEC. but we’ll be playing multiple SEC teams and big time opponents every year going forward. And playing Cinci, Houston, UCF & Memphis is nothing to sneeze at.

All things considered we are in a great place to continue turning our program and should be thankful not to be in conference usa.
sader24
Tsunami

They don’t want to play us in the Superdome. They can play in the Superdome any time they want without playing us. They have Florida St. scheduled to play them there in a couple years. 1 marquee opponent In the Dome every 5-10 years would be just fine, and most of their fans are pissed off they scheduled the FSU game in the Dome instead of Tiger Stadium. They have no need to play in New Orleans during the regular season. It’s an hour ride from NoLa to Tiger Stadium. They have the New Orleans recruiting completely dominated, they get much more mileage playing in Dallas or Houston or even Atlanta but even those games have begun to aggravate their fan base. One of the main reasons their new AD was hired was to improve the gameday experience at Tiger Stadium which Alleva had ruined and to get more home and homes with major teams. A home and home with Tulane or even playing Tulane in the Dome is of no interest to them at this point. They start a home and home with Texas next year. That’s what they are looking for, I assume they would let us go up there and play them once every 4 years for a rent a win but we aren’t getting any kind of Skip Bertman 10 years home and homes anymore.