Tulane Fun Police

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
2ndGenWave
High Tide

tgibson wrote: First of, no, they're not. A current student and Greek member just posted above that they got a new director at Student Affairs. Presumably a Fitts appointee. I'm getting really tired seeing this guys name on this board. Hes not the president anymore, and hes not in charge. Fitts may not be aware of these particular institutional issues, so if your passionate about the need for something to change, direct your complaints to him and his staff.

This has nothing to do with Cowen.

The bottom line? Tulane has been in the news numerous times in recent years for frats getting out of control. National news-- as in a CNN story because some kid got 3rd degree burns all below his waist in a hazing incident. I can't even keep track of the frats that were banned from campus just in the 4 years I was an undergrad.

Its unfair that the University clamped down as a result-- especially on an incoming class that probably doesn't even know the history here-- but thats the way these things work. Maybe its high time some of these restrictions get lifted. And you should direct those complaints to the new Office of Student Affairs and President Fitts.

I'm going to start calling this Cowen-Derangement-Syndrome. Seeing the nefarious hands of Cowen when he isn't even in charge anymore. Its absolutely ridiculous.
So, PIKE burns kids during hazing seven years ago, so now there will not be tailgating at fraternities?

Yes, there have been incidents across the board with drugs and alcohol, but nothing to out of the ordinary for college or that wouldn't be happening if the same kids were left in New Orleans without fraternities. The problem is that Tulane is suddenly treating the Greek system like our campus is in Waco, TX or Utah while the city continues to operate as usual for Louisiana.

They sell the school as "Only at Tulane, Only in New Orleans" then treat the students like campus is an island unto itself. There is a middle ground between total anarchy and Dean Wormer putting people on Double Secret Probation (something that was un-ironically referenced by the administration last year to describe a fraternity's situation according to undergrads I've talked to).

jonathanjoseph
Green Wave

tgibson wrote: First of, no, they're not. A current student and Greek member just posted above that they got a new director at Student Affairs. Presumably a Fitts appointee. I'm getting really tired seeing this guys name on this board. Hes not the president anymore, and hes not in charge. Fitts may not be aware of these particular institutional issues, so if your passionate about the need for something to change, direct your complaints to him and his staff.

The bottom line? Tulane has been in the news numerous times in recent years for frats getting out of control. National news-- as in a CNN story because some kid got 3rd degree burns all below his waist in a hazing incident. I can't even keep track of the frats that were banned from campus just in the 4 years I was an undergrad once the crackdown started-- mine included. JD probably remembers, he was an undergrad around the same years as me.

Its unfair that the University clamped down on everyone as a result-- especially on an incoming class that probably doesn't even know the history here-- but thats the way these things work. That was over 6 years ago now, and maybe its high time some of these restrictions get lifted. And you should direct those complaints to the new Office of Student Affairs and President Fitts.

I'm going to start calling this Cowen-Derangement-Syndrome. Seeing the nefarious hands of Cowen when he isn't even in charge anymore. Its absolutely ridiculous.
Uh, the new VP of Student Affairs started his job on July 28th. Do you really believe that he would have made and announced/communicated this decision in his first 48 hours on the job?

Tulane has been talking about the Yulman "gameday experience" for years. You think this topic wasn't discussed decided before last week? Wow.
jonathanjoseph
Green Wave

2ndGenWave wrote:

The bottom line? Tulane has been in the news numerous times in recent years for frats getting out of control. National news-- as in a CNN story because some kid got 3rd degree burns all below his waist in a hazing incident. I can't even keep track of the frats that were banned from campus just in the 4 years I was an undergrad.

Its unfair that the University clamped down as a result-- especially on an incoming class that probably doesn't even know the history here-- but thats the way these things work. Maybe its high time some of these restrictions get lifted. And you should direct those complaints to the new Office of Student Affairs and President Fitts.

So, PIKE burns kids during hazing seven years ago, so now there will not be tailgating at fraternities?

Yes, there have been incidents across the board with drugs and alcohol, but nothing to out of the ordinary for college or that wouldn't be happening if the same kids were left in New Orleans without fraternities. The problem is that Tulane is suddenly treating the Greek system like our campus is in Waco, TX or Utah while the city continues to operate as usual for Louisiana.

They sell the school as "Only at Tulane, Only in New Orleans" then treat the students like campus is an island unto itself. There is a middle ground between total anarchy and Dean Wormer putting people on Double Secret Probation (something that was un-ironically referenced by the administration last year to describe a fraternity's situation according to undergrads I've talked to).
I'm surprised there are any fraternities left as it is. Much damage was done to Tulane's Greek system during Cowen's tenure.
Show Me
Tsunami

This is on Cowen hands. He cut the deal with the NIMBY's to keep trash and activities down in the neighborhoods. This is part of that deal. If I were in those frats I would party on the sidewalk because its on city property.
sader24
Tsunami

There is no way in hell this doesn't have Cowen's fingerprints all over it. Give me a break. It was certainly decided months ago and likely in the planning stages that this was going to happen but they "Failed" to mention it until the last minute in order to not have a vocal opposition to the project or to give Frats time to appeal and battle the ruling. They roll this thing out a month before it goes down and you're telling me it wasn't planned long ago? That's just nonsensical.
tgibson
Low Tide

It wasn't just Pike. And it didn't "burn." There was Pike, ZBT, KA, the list goes on. Those are the reasons the alcohol policies started being enforced and tightened. I was at school at the time, I saw it happen. But I guess thats just my lying eyes.

But you know what, you don't even argue in good faith.. You're a concern troll. A board with decent management would have booted you long ago for being one. You don't go to games, you don't donate-- you're a joke, except its infuriating instead of funny. I should start a web comic about y'all. If Tulane has the cone of silence, the usual crowd here is the Echo Chamber of Negativity.

JohnathanJoesph gets up in the morning. Stubs his toe as he gets out of bed. "Thanks Cowen!" he grubles, shaking his fist at no one in particular.

As he goes to make coffee, and pack his lunch for the day, he finds theres not enough room to fit his new thermos into his lunch bag. "Typical boutqiue program, thanks Cowen!" he yells, scaring some birds sitting on the sill.

He leaves for the day, locking his door behind him. He notices some youths playing out in the street. "They let anyone around here these days. Typical dropping academic standards. Thanks Cowen!" He yells this out loud, practically frothing at the mouth. The children are frightened. Who is this strange man? Why doesn't anyone stop him?

No one bothers to stop him, because "free speech," or something.
Show Me
Tsunami

One question, were frat parties banned on gamedays last year?
jonathanjoseph
Green Wave

tgibson wrote:It wasn't just Pike. And it didn't "burn." There was Pike, ZBT, KA, the list goes on. Those are the reasons the alcohol policies started being enforced and tightened. I was at school at the time, I saw it happen. But I guess thats just my lying eyes.

But you know what, you don't even argue in good faith.. You're a concern troll. A board with decent management would have booted you long ago for being one. You don't go to games, you don't donate-- you're a joke, except its infuriating instead of funny. I should start a web comic about y'all. If Tulane has the cone of silence, the usual crowd here is the Echo Chamber of Negativity.

JohnathanJoesph gets up in the morning. Stubs his toe as he gets out of bed. "Thanks Cowen!" he grubles, shaking his fist at no one in particular.

As he goes to make coffee, and pack his lunch for the day, he finds theres not enough room to fit his new thermos into his lunch bag. "Typical boutqiue program, thanks Cowen!" he yells, scaring some birds sitting on the sill.

He leaves for the day, locking his door behind him. He notices some youths playing out in the street. "They let anyone around here these days. Typical dropping academic standards. Thanks Cowen!" He yells this out loud, practically frothing at the mouth. The children are frightened. Who is this strange man? Why doesn't anyone stop him?

Since you just made up some bizarre scenario about me which has no basis in reality and accuse me of not attending games when that is also factually incorrect, I'll just go ahead and let the forum know that tgibson has sex with llamas and really likes it, and suggest the mods ban tgibson for such lewd conduct.
tgibson
Low Tide

jonathanjoseph wrote:
tgibson wrote:It wasn't just Pike. And it didn't "burn." There was Pike, ZBT, KA, the list goes on. Those are the reasons the alcohol policies started being enforced and tightened. I was at school at the time, I saw it happen. But I guess thats just my lying eyes.

Since you just made up some bizarre scenario about me which has no basis in reality and accuse me of not attending games when that is also factually incorrect, I'll just go ahead and let the forum know that tgibson has sex with llamas and really likes it, and suggest the mods ban tgibson for such lewd conduct.
JohnathanJoesph hears a voice as he walks down the street. "Hey, stop being a jerk. The rest of us can't enjoy the neighborhood because of you!"

JJ gasps to himself. A Cowen shill! "You have sex with Llamas!" he shrieks, and scampers off.

Haha! JJ thinks to himself, that'll show'em. Stupid Cowen!

The neighbors look at each other, slightly bemused. What was that all about?, they tacitly ask each-other. With a half-hearted shrug, they go back about their lives.
2ndGenWave
High Tide

tgibson wrote:It wasn't just Pike. And it didn't "burn." There was Pike, ZBT, KA, the list goes on. Those are the reasons the alcohol policies started being enforced and tightened.

But you know what, you don't even argue in good faith.. Your a concern troll. A board with decent management would have booted you long ago for being one. You don't go to games, you don't donate-- you're a joke, except its infuriating instead of funny. I should start a web comic about y'all. If Tulane has the cone of silence, the usual crowd here is the Echo Chamber of Negativity.
PIKE used crab boil to haze pledges. They'd heat it up to make it, then let it cool off before putting it on their pledges to get the burning sensation of pepper all over their pledges. One time they got drunk and forgot the cool off step so they dumped it on three or four pledges before realizing they were causing 3rd degree burns. This was the semester before I was a freshman and I heard this story multiple times from different guys who were in PIKE at the time. Yes, this is terrible hazing, but they were kicked off campus immediately and the worst part of it was at least unintentional.

ZBT had a parent call and complain that her son was forced to go to the house and do chores for actives. Run of the mill pledgeship stuff. The pledges were all interviewed and it was confirmed. They were given probation and told that they needed to do community service hours and write an apology letter to the families, the administration, and their national office. They didn't do any of those things so after a six weeks, they were kicked off campus until all those members had graduated. They are now back on campus.

And KA has not been kicked off campus. Though pretty much every fraternity has had long probations or suspensions from anything from alcohol to social to drug violations over the past years. Some times these punishments fit the crimes, but mostly they seemed overwhelming in comparison to what was done.

The entire Greek Community was suspended in January for participating in the annual serenading of the sorority pledge classes by the fraternity pledge classes because it was an unsanctioned event (even though it is something that has been done for more than a decade with the knowledge of the administration).

While the PIKE incident is a terrible example of hazing, the rest of things that have gone on since then have really been run of the mill fraternity stuff that Tulane has come down unbelievably hard on.
JTLiuzza
Swell

2ndGenWave wrote:
cajunfanatico wrote:
They consider a gathering of four or more brothers "an event."
If this administration also possesses drones and hellfire missles, this could get out of hand quick.
The sad part is they would if they could. The administration has gone crazy with Greek life enforcement to the point that its basically impossible for fraternities to do much of anything without drawing their ire.

Do they really think that there are not going to be house parties near campus? Will ten fraternity houses make a difference? Why should we continue to bow down to the neighbors with all positives Tulane provides for them and the city? Six days a year isn't asking too much from them.
The "NIMBYS" provide some cover for a lot of things.
The second commandment has not been abrogated.
TUnola94
Trickle

One question, were frat parties banned on gamedays last year?
No there were not any restrictions.
If they are doing this to appease the neighbors it is going to backfire in my opinion because alot of people are talking now of just tailgating on the front lawns of our off campus houses on palmer, calhoun, and lowerline. Friends of mine who live on palmer are talking about turning the street into a block party. So instead of dealing with 11 fraternity houses possibly being a little loud or leaving some trash, the neighbor hood is going to deal with 10x the amount of satellite houses that the university has no control over. If thats what they want..
In my opinion, as a student, if the team isn't that great and the restrictions stay, I can see people just going to baton rouge and tailgating with friends at LSU unless they have friends on the team or are religious fans.
Fred Dowler
Riptide

JTLiuzza wrote:
2ndGenWave wrote:
cajunfanatico wrote:
They consider a gathering of four or more brothers "an event."
If this administration also possesses drones and hellfire missles, this could get out of hand quick.
The sad part is they would if they could. The administration has gone crazy with Greek life enforcement to the point that its basically impossible for fraternities to do much of anything without drawing their ire.

Do they really think that there are not going to be house parties near campus? Will ten fraternity houses make a difference? Why should we continue to bow down to the neighbors with all positives Tulane provides for them and the city? Six days a year isn't asking too much from them.
The "NIMBYS" provide some cover for a lot of things.
You've noticed that, eh?
Tulane sports: small football stadium, very small basketball arena, w̶i̶n̶n̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶p̶r̶o̶g̶r̶a̶m̶s̶, h̶o̶n̶e̶s̶t̶y̶ ̶a̶n̶d̶ ̶a̶c̶c̶o̶u̶n̶t̶a̶b̶i̶l̶i̶t̶y̶ , but, hey, now there's tailgating.
Ripple

sader24 wrote:I'm 12+ years removed from Fraternity stuff, but I'm pretty sure you have to register your party with the Fraternity Division or whatever its called at said University and then you have to pay for security, etc. This isn't a party in the sense of a bunch of people drinking at a Frat House. These are sanctioned parties that involve Bands, Security, etc. I'm not familiar at all with the Tulane Fraternity scene, but I know at LSU and Ole Miss every Fraternity had one for every home game weekend and you either had to be in the Fraternity or on the list to get in unless you were a girl. They usually had them the night before as well and Thursday Night was the night everyone went to the bars.
I'm ~10 years removed from Fraternity life at Tulane as well -- my recollection was that there was really very little regulation about what happened with Fraternity events. I recall being forced to show up at a few on-campus meetings with other Fraternity/Sorority chapter reps to discuss stuff, but I don't recall there ever being major issues with large house parties.

If they are starting to crack down on Greek life on campus, that really sucks and is really typical Tulane behavior.