What would you do?

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
NOLABigSteve
Riptide

So, if Tulane went ahead against all judgment, opinions, complaints, etc. from the fans and built a 30K+ stadium, what would you do?

I'm not talking about 25K stadium, parking, team/opponent quality, anything like that. Simply put, what would you do? Curious.

Roll Wave!
Tulane University c/o 2003
Football Defensive End '99, '00, '01, '02
2002 Hawaii Bowl Champions
School of Engineering (Computer Science)
IM42lane
Swell

IF they WIN again, then I will show up. I don't care where they play.

But, I do want a decent and safe place to PARK my vehicle. I also do not want any confrontation with the NOPD's when I park it.

NOLABigSteve wrote:So, if Tulane went ahead against all judgment, opinions, complaints, etc. from the fans and built a 30K+ stadium, what would you do?

I'm not talking about 25K stadium, parking, team/opponent quality, anything like that. Simply put, what would you do? Curious.
Regards,
"Pete" Madere
msdos
Swell

I'd go to the first game. Then after the game, come to this forum and bitch about how the concessions cost too much and that the restrooms were in poor locations.

:D
galvezwave
Swell

I would go down to the local grocer, have some jambalaya pork cut up, get some rice, onions, sausage and seasonings, find me a nice, shady spot on campus friday nite, park my vehicle, secure my ice chests and jambalaya pot in my trailer there. go to bourbon and take in the sites, have a few drinks, hit a hotel and wake up at about 7 am. Take the steet car back to where I parked my truck with my stuff. Set up under a big oak, light the burner and start cookin. Crack my first beer round 9. Feed any students who happen by, hang with other fans and talk about the season opener. By 5 oclock, Im piss-drunk, but hyped. Pack my stuff. Start heading towards the stadium. Pop some advil and get ready for kickoff. Central Florida takes the opening kickoff 97 yards, enroute to a 54-6 schellacking. I storm to my truck, head out and never come back. Until next year. Thats probably what I would do. :oops:
RWR
Swell

Your question is not clear. You say 30kPlus-so what's the number? Then your part about the parking is confusing. Are you asking that if they build a right sized stadium w/out parking would you come?
NOLABigSteve
Riptide

RWR wrote:Your question is not clear. You say 30kPlus-so what's the number? Then your part about the parking is confusing. Are you asking that if they build a right sized stadium w/out parking would you come?
Basically I guess what I'm asking is who would come, who wouldn't? If the stadium was say 25K vs. 32K, who would you still come? Or stay home? Is there a magic capacity number to make someone come?
Roll Wave!
Tulane University c/o 2003
Football Defensive End '99, '00, '01, '02
2002 Hawaii Bowl Champions
School of Engineering (Computer Science)
HoustonWave
Tsunami

I've had season tickets for years, but rarely come to any games in N.O.--between the usually disasterous team and the worst atmosphere and venue in college football, I just can't convince myself to fly over to N.O. With an OCS, I will be there for nearly every game. Even with the team as it is, the ablility to sit in a truly collegiate environment would be such an improvement. I'm one of the alums who had the good fortune of watching games in Tulane Stadium. Even though it was too large, even when less than half the stadium was full the surroundings and environment were vastly better than at the Superdome. Heck, with an OCS, I'll buy a box and/or advance purchase season tickets for several years. Whether the program stays as it is, or gets dramatically better, we're better off in our own OCS.
Tulane is the University of Louisiana
RWR
Swell

I'll go no matter the size but the point is the masses aren't going to go to see this product especially w/all the inconveniences.

houston-it's amazing what time does to one's memory. There was no great college atmosphere at the OCS. I know you believe you would go to most games but w/the same product you'd find yourself losing that will very quickly.
DrBox
Riptide

I would go at 25K, but there needs to be a major revolt among fans well before that 25K thing would be built: Dickson needs to know that that is unacceptable (actually, he should be let go if he brings forth something like that).
HoustonWave
Tsunami

RWR wrote:I'll go no matter the size but the point is the masses aren't going to go to see this product especially w/all the inconveniences.

houston-it's amazing what time does to one's memory. There was no great college atmosphere at the OCS. I know you believe you would go to most games but w/the same product you'd find yourself losing that will very quickly.
RWR, it was a great atmosphere--in fact, the atmosphere got increasingly better the closer you sat to the keg and portable bar that we would set up in the seats. As far as going to watch the games in an OCS, you may be right about losing the enthusiasm if they keep flailing, but I hope I get a chance to find out.
RWR
Swell

I have to modify my answer - There is one thing that would keep me from going. If they charge ridiculous ticket prices and if they charge a PSL at all. Tulane loves to say they can do it differently w/regards to their approach to athletics but then adopts the big boys pricing policy. That's BS. It's ridiculous to charge $875 for a baseball season ticket-$500 to TAF and $375 for the seat. That's why the park is always 3/4 empty. That and $15 a ticket for individual tix.
TURVS71
Swell

Well, of course I would be there, with four seats. (SURPRISE RIGHT?) I would have no problem with a Personal Seat License. This is common among many college programs. IF, it happens, we all need to embrace it and do what ever is in OUR CONTROL to make it a successful venue and operation.
'Here's a song for the Olive and the Blue"
RWR
Swell

TURVS71 wrote:Well, of course I would be there, with four seats. (SURPRISE RIGHT?) I would have no problem with a Personal Seat License. This is common among many college programs. IF, it happens, we all need to embrace it and do what ever is in OUR CONTROL to make it a successful venue and operation.
No, TULANE HAS TO DO WHATEVER IS NECESSARY TO MAKE THE PROGRAM AND THE VENUE SUCCESSFUL. This isn't yogwf. Tulane doesn't hold all the cards. They have to satisfy the customers. I go but I understand why so many don't anymore and I know they aren't bad fans. The product stinks and they have rightfully walked away.

Yes, PSL's are common but I don't put up w/hypocrisy. Those programs are trying to win. Tulane isn't. Until they play by the same rules as the other 119 teams then they can't price it the same. And since Tulane isn't putting up a penny they have no right to require a PSL.
TURVS71
Swell

Don't really understand the "yogwf" reference. This site was started so that All opinions can be heard. It is not a site that was started just to bash Tulane.
'Here's a song for the Olive and the Blue"
RWR
Swell

The reference was b/c your post came across as saying that no matter what Tulane does we have to support it or you're a bad fan which is yogwfesque. Maybe I took it wrong but that's the way it came across. As for the site it's purpose is clear and is served w/every post. As for Tulane bashing it's all very legitimate. We all want a lot of positive to talk about but there isn't much and hasn't been much in a long, long time. The reason for the bashing is to get their attention and hopefully get the ball rolling in the right direction. As we know they do monitor all sites. It's obvious by their public comments that they feel the heat and can't handle it.
HoustonWave
Tsunami

I've never been a big fan of PSL's at any level, professional football, college football, or bad college football (Tulane's category). Nonetheless, it's a reality in today's world. If Tulane wants to be fair with its fans, make the PSL an annual payment--flat the first 5 years, then vary it based on the team's performance in the prior year. Alternatively, rather than PSL's just advance sell tickets--the more years out you buy, the larger the per game discount. There are actually a lot of options and variations one can come up with, hopefully Tulane will be innovative and recognize the poor quality of it's current product.
Bigschtick
Riptide

If they build an OCS, I will travel across the U.S as often as I can to attend the games even if its 25k as unlike so many, that size does not trouble me particularly if the stadium can be enlarged, if necessary! I attended games when we still had Tulane stadium and it was great fun!
Speak softly but carry a bigschtick! In Sumrall We Trust!
Fred Dowler
Riptide

Of course they will have personal seat licenses.

What do people think? That they aren't dealing with a university president who's a business school-type?
Tulane sports: small football stadium, very small basketball arena, w̶i̶n̶n̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶p̶r̶o̶g̶r̶a̶m̶s̶, h̶o̶n̶e̶s̶t̶y̶ ̶a̶n̶d̶ ̶a̶c̶c̶o̶u̶n̶t̶a̶b̶i̶l̶i̶t̶y̶ , but, hey, now there's tailgating.
sader24
Tsunami

Whether I go to the games or not has little if anything to do with the venue. After suffering through terrible season after terrible season my only concern at this point is the quality of the product on the field. I can't justify continuing to watch this team go 3-9 year in year out when I've been doing it close to 30 years already. It just isn't worth it anymore. After over a decade of Cowen/Dickson I also have grown far to cynical to listen to anything they have to say. If we play in a 32,000 person stadium and have a winning program that I believe in I'll be there, if the status quo remains I wont. Even those that are gung ho about the stadium will stop going to it if we continue losing. We continue to act as if the venue keeps people away when it's the product that keeps people away. I've walked out of games in the Dome and I've walked out of a game in Gormley. I've had a great time at games in the Dome and a great time at games in Gormley. Everyone has fun when we win, everyone is miserable when we lose. FIX THE PROGRAM.
Fred Dowler
Riptide

sader24 wrote:Whether I go to the games or not has little if anything to do with the venue. After suffering through terrible season after terrible season my only concern at this point is the quality of the product on the field. I can't justify continuing to watch this team go 3-9 year in year out when I've been doing it close to 30 years already. It just isn't worth it anymore. After over a decade of Cowen/Dickson I also have grown far to cynical to listen to anything they have to say. If we play in a 32,000 person stadium and have a winning program that I believe in I'll be there, if the status quo remains I wont. Even those that are gung ho about the stadium will stop going to it if we continue losing. We continue to act as if the venue keeps people away when it's the product that keeps people away. I've walked out of games in the Dome and I've walked out of a game in Gormley. I've had a great time at games in the Dome and a great time at games in Gormley. Everyone has fun when we win, everyone is miserable when we lose. FIX THE PROGRAM.
That's sort of been the Tulane way. Relying on gimmicks and packaging to keep the customers coming back as opposed to the actual product.

No one is to be blamed for being skeptical about whatever Tulane says.

And how can you justify it when you can watch almost whatever you want on tv and not have to go anywhere, pay for tickets, pay for parking, pay for parking tickets (which are sure to be many if Tulane really and truly builds a stadium) and concessions and so on?

Absolutely you had better fix the product first before worrying about the stadium (although it's still highly dubious, highly sketchy to me because of the parking issue).
Tulane sports: small football stadium, very small basketball arena, w̶i̶n̶n̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶p̶r̶o̶g̶r̶a̶m̶s̶, h̶o̶n̶e̶s̶t̶y̶ ̶a̶n̶d̶ ̶a̶c̶c̶o̶u̶n̶t̶a̶b̶i̶l̶i̶t̶y̶ , but, hey, now there's tailgating.
Green Wave
Swell

RWR wrote:The reference was b/c your post came across as saying that no matter what Tulane does we have to support it or you're a bad fan which is yogwfesque. Maybe I took it wrong but that's the way it came across. As for the site it's purpose is clear and is served w/every post. As for Tulane bashing it's all very legitimate. We all want a lot of positive to talk about but there isn't much and hasn't been much in a long, long time. The reason for the bashing is to get their attention and hopefully get the ball rolling in the right direction. As we know they do monitor all sites. It's obvious by their public comments that they feel the heat and can't handle it.
You have an overblown sense of self worth. :!:
ROLL WAVE!
sader24
Tsunami

Does that mean you disagree with what he wrote? I think it's pretty accurate, unlike your last few posts such as the attendance one which clearly showed you have zero recollection of the events and momentum around the program at the time. The only guy I know who has a bloated sense of self worth is Scott Cowen.
jonathanjoseph
Green Wave

Green Wave wrote:
RWR wrote:The reference was b/c your post came across as saying that no matter what Tulane does we have to support it or you're a bad fan which is yogwfesque. Maybe I took it wrong but that's the way it came across. As for the site it's purpose is clear and is served w/every post. As for Tulane bashing it's all very legitimate. We all want a lot of positive to talk about but there isn't much and hasn't been much in a long, long time. The reason for the bashing is to get their attention and hopefully get the ball rolling in the right direction. As we know they do monitor all sites. It's obvious by their public comments that they feel the heat and can't handle it.
That makes you seem a lot like a defensive employee of the athletic department.
RWR
Swell

Green Wave wrote:
The troll has been outed. They must really be feeling the heat to have you on here full time .
sader24
Tsunami

Quite frankly the level of Tulane bashing that occurs amongst the Tulane fanbase is significantly lower than bashing at just about any other school in the country. Most administrators that work at schools far more successful in athletics have to deal with way more "bashing" than the employees at Tulane. The defensiveness that Rick Dickson showed at the playbook because people simply had been asking legitimate questions about the direction of one of the worst programs in America should've gotten him fired on the spot. Not only that but showing up 15 minutes late was just as embarassing and proves how little these people really care about what happens. Say what you will about Tommy Bowden, but for the 22 months he was here he sold this program and sold it well. He got the students out from the start, he provided a sense of bravado the program desperately needed by publicly claiming he was going to shut off New Orleans to other schools, he went to booster clubs and sold them positively on the program, he promised an exciting brand of football and delivered, he charmed the media from Day 1, when you compare his ability to exude confidence and generate legitimate excitement around a destitute program from his arrival to Rick Dickson's inability to generate anything it's fairly obvious why we're terrible and nobody goes to the games. Could you have imagined Bowden standing at the podium berating his customers? Could you imagine Bowden or Nick Saban watching from the crowd while their AD opined about the direction of the program? Could you imagine Bowden keeping secrets that are positive developments for the program and if true should be blasted publicly over TV, the internet, and radio immediately? The fact is the football program not only needs a totally new model, but the athletic program needs someone that's young, energetic, and can sell what we're trying to do here whatever that is. The football program needs a coach that's going to sell the program not just to recruits, but publicly as well. My family has been giving money to a school none of us attended since the late 1930's. Are they really going to call me to a meeting, show up late for the meeting, and then berate me like I'm an 8 yr old? Somebody should've walked up to Dickson and said if you ever talk to me like that again it'll be the last time after all the money and support we've thrown into a bottomless pit to pay you a salary that you don't deserve. Quite frankly too many Tulane fans have been stuck in the cocoon that is Tulane athletics to have any idea that the way these people behave is insane. These guys would've been fired years ago at any respectable university. He's had over a decade to fix the 2 main sports that drive every athletic department and what has he done? If you sent this athletic department to an SEC school they'd have a nervous breakdown in a week and a half.