Conroy Leaving

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
nawlinspete
Riptide

Opening at College of Charleston win / win for Conroy, College of Charleston, and Tulane.

OUG
Riptide

nawlinspete wrote:Opening at College of Charleston win / win for Conroy, College of Charleston, and Tulane.
The College of Charleston has a history of some success in basketball. They're not hiring Ed Conroy.
wave97
Swell

Isn't this guy Pat Conry's Nephew?
Jonathan
Riptide

Is this a joke. Conroy should never have been hired by Tulane and fired after first season. He cannot recruit blue chip players. The one or two he did recruit deserted him and Tulane. Fire him and his staff now. Spend a million dollar plus on a quality coach.
sader24
Tsunami

Pretty hard to recruit Blue Chip players when you play in a high school gym.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

sader24 wrote:Pretty hard to recruit Blue Chip players when you play in a high school gym.
Perry Clark had no problem doing so.

Dave Dickerson even had a great class lined up that Katrina ruined.

We have the arena as well as Devlin/Fogelman. We play in one of the top conferences and all conference games are televised. We have an outstanding practice facility. The gym, in and of itself, is not the problem. Do we need a better facility? For sure. But we also need better recruiting using what positives we have.
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
mbawavefan12
Tsunami

DfromCT wrote:
sader24 wrote:Pretty hard to recruit Blue Chip players when you play in a high school gym.

Dave Dickerson even had a great class lined up that Katrina ruined.

We have the arena as well as Devlin/Fogelman. We play in one of the top conferences and all conference games are televised. We have an outstanding practice facility. The gym, in and of itself, is not the problem. Do we need a better facility? For sure. But we also need better recruiting using what positives we have.
The landscape over the past decade has changed. The recruiting budgets, coaching salaries, the AAU stuff, TV money and asset investments have gone nuts. Recruits look at facilties as being almost as important as league and history. That being said, the recruiting under EC should be better. It's shocking to me that the move to the AAC coupled with the huge need for bigs resulted in guys with virtually no big time offers. A new coach would do wonders but so wouldn't a new/larger arena.
sader24
Tsunami

I think it's a bit crazy to expect a guy to able to recruit in a shoebox. Perry Clark recruited to it 15+ years ago. Holy Cross' gym is more impressive than Fogleman or whatever they want to call it these days. Now if he could go load up on Juco's that would be a different story, but he cant.
Fred Dowler
Riptide

DfromCT wrote:
Because the long term game plan was to be using the New Orleans Arena, which Eamon Kelly pushed for, and that's what they told recruits.
Tulane sports: small football stadium, very small basketball arena, w̶i̶n̶n̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶p̶r̶o̶g̶r̶a̶m̶s̶, h̶o̶n̶e̶s̶t̶y̶ ̶a̶n̶d̶ ̶a̶c̶c̶o̶u̶n̶t̶a̶b̶i̶l̶i̶t̶y̶ , but, hey, now there's tailgating.
Fred Dowler
Riptide

sader24 wrote:I think it's a bit crazy to expect a guy to able to recruit in a shoebox. Perry Clark recruited to it 15+ years ago. Holy Cross' gym is more impressive than Fogleman or whatever they want to call it these days. Now if he could go load up on Juco's that would be a different story, but he cant.
See my other post.

Eamon Kelly was pushing for the downtown arena back in the 1990s and that was supposed to be the home of TU bball and they told that to recruits.

BTW as far as jucos, let's see, Michael Christian, Greg Gary, Matt Greene, Wade Mason, Marlo Miles, Patrick Lewis (have I missed anyone?) all jucos.
Tulane sports: small football stadium, very small basketball arena, w̶i̶n̶n̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶p̶r̶o̶g̶r̶a̶m̶s̶, h̶o̶n̶e̶s̶t̶y̶ ̶a̶n̶d̶ ̶a̶c̶c̶o̶u̶n̶t̶a̶b̶i̶l̶i̶t̶y̶ , but, hey, now there's tailgating.
Show Me
Tsunami

Quit making excuses. Devlin is small but it not a high school gym. Conroy has a state of the art practice facility and the AAC. The fact is that Conroy couldn't recruit to Madison Square Garden.
DrBox
Riptide

Show Me wrote:Quit making excuses. Devlin is small but it not a high school gym. Conroy has a state of the art practice facility and the AAC.
Indeed.
mbawavefan12
Tsunami

Fred Dowler wrote:
DfromCT wrote:
Because the long term game plan was to be using the New Orleans Arena, which Eamon Kelly pushed for, and that's what they told recruits.
Interesting thought.
mbawavefan12
Tsunami

DrBox wrote:
Show Me wrote:Quit making excuses. Devlin is small but it not a high school gym. Conroy has a state of the art practice facility and the AAC.
Indeed.

But isn't that sort of the point, how do we avoid being the Depaul of the AAC when our home arena is literally more than 50% smaller than the next closest AAC school. TU sits 3,200 with no revenue generating seats and the next closest is ECU at 8,000. That's totally messed up. Maybe we can build up some momentum and have a Duke like feel, but I have my doubts as the recruiting game has become so fierce.
Show Me
Tsunami

mbawavefan12 wrote:
DrBox wrote:
Indeed.

But isn't that sort of the point, how do we avoid being the Depaul of the AAC when our home arena is literally more than 50% smaller than the next closest AAC school. TU sits 3,200 with no revenue generating seats and the next closest is ECU at 8,000. That's totally messed up. Maybe we can build up some momentum and have a Duke like feel, but I have my doubts as the recruiting game has become so fierce.
That's fair but it has nothing to do with Conroy's recruiting failures. Do not confuse the two. He can always bring recruits to Smoothie King Arena when the Pelicans play and tell them "we play here as well". Please no more excuses. It's time for Conroy to deliver.
JDTulane
Riptide

misleading title is misleading.
JerseyWave
Riptide

Conroy is a joke of a recruiter and it has nothing to do with FogleDev. He could have the Taj Mahal and it wouldn't matter. He keeps handing out scholarships to church boys from California. Roberts Jr was going to prep school until Conroy threw him a lifeline. Tulane gave him a terrific facility and great basketball league and he still hasn't figured it out. There's no excuse for this. It's going go to be an ugly inaugaral season for Tulane in the AAC. Fire Rick Dickson!
Bigschtick
Riptide

JDTulane wrote:misleading title is misleading.

plus 1 and entirely inappropriate Pete!
Speak softly but carry a bigschtick! In Sumrall We Trust!
ajcalhoun
Swell

JDTulane wrote:misleading title is teasing.
FIFY
God Bless Everyone!
Jonathan
Riptide

Is this an April fool joke in August? If so Conroy needs to go now and Tulane needs to spend $1.5m for one of the top coaches in the nation, not the a Citadel loser and staff.
msdos
Swell

JDTulane wrote:misleading title is misleading.
yea, buddy. you cant get me excited like that