Commisioner Mike Aresco Interview / AAC stadium size

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
Houma de Wave
Swell

DfromCT wrote:. I hate that our stadium is so small on the NIMBY side. It looks like crap. It's a big time downer on the program, and I would love to simply flip the bird to the NIMBY's and build a very tall and steep deck above that side making Yulman one of the best home field advantages in D1 with our fans on top of the field.

This.

Ernie McCracken
Ripple

Yep. And building a too small stadium made sense only to Dickson. I guarantee that Dannen would not have built a 23k stadium.
Ernie McCracken
Ripple

Yes, 30k was/is a total fudge and I would submit to you that the stadium doesn't advance the football program in any way.

At least we have a competitive adult running athletics now.
jonathanjoseph
Green Wave

Ernie McCracken wrote:Yep. And building a too small stadium made sense only to Dickson. I guarantee that Dannen would not have built a 23k stadium.
But that's where there is supposed to be legal responsibility and corporate governance measures to prevent disasters of such magnitude. Tulane Board Members could be financially ruined for allowing this to happen, which is why I think they ought to open up their checkbooks for whatever Troy Dannen needs and asks for. They enabled this mess, they are legally liable for it and they should fix it.
jonathanjoseph
Green Wave

Ernie McCracken wrote:Yes, 30k was/is a total fudge and I would submit to you that the stadium doesn't advance the football program in any way.

At least we have a competitive adult running athletics now.
It was supposed to help financially, with recruiting, with tailgating and with the gameday atmosphere. So far, the tailgating looks good. The rest looks like a massive, massive blunder.
Ernie McCracken
Ripple

The Board should have replaced Dickson five years ago and replaced him with a Dannen-caliber AD who could have fully assessed the situation. This would have certainly prevented a small, rushed, permanent facility.

In any event, I'm just thrilled that Tulane hired someone with no ties to Cowen/Dickson who brings a completely different perspective. We at least have a shot now unlike before.
glennc
Low Tide

could the stadium be renovated to get to 30,000 because this is a serious situation.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

It could get to 30k in all likelihood but it doesn't really change things.
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
glennc
Low Tide

One other thing . If a AAC stadium should seat 35,000 to 40,000 could tulane be forced out of the league.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

I doubt it at this point as we would probably be grandfathered in on the stadium. However maybe they make us shift conference games to the Dome and to the SKC for basketball. I'm not worried about it conference wise at this point. More concerned with the affect on recruiting.
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
RobertM320
Green Wave

I think this is another indication that Aresco is trying to position the AAC as a sixth Power Conference. The hardest part of that equation would be getting the media to buy into it and getting the public to perceive it as such.
"That mantra is the only consistent thing that never needs to ever change for the rest of this program’s existence because that is all that matters & as long as that keeps occurring, everything will handle itself" -- Nick Anderson
winwave
Top of the WAVE

RobertM320 wrote:I think this is another indication that Aresco is trying to position the AAC as a sixth Power Conference. The hardest part of that equation would be getting the media to buy into it and getting the public to perceive it as such.
Agree. To make that happen the conference will need even better seasons than it had last year. It also needs better Bowl alliances.
Show Me
Tsunami

Unfortunately where were those comments when we were proposing building our 30K stadium? It's too little too late for us. But I doubt that we even come close to filling it this year.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

jonathanjoseph wrote:
Ernie McCracken wrote:Yep. And building a too small stadium made sense only to Dickson. I guarantee that Dannen would not have built a 23k stadium.
But that's where there is supposed to be legal responsibility and corporate governance measures to prevent disasters of such magnitude. Tulane Board Members could be financially ruined for allowing this to happen, which is why I think they ought to open up their checkbooks for whatever Troy Dannen needs and asks for. They enabled this mess, they are legally liable for it and they should fix it.
Then take legal action rather than post hundreds of complaints on an Internet bulletin board.
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
nawlinspete
Riptide

glennc wrote:One other thing . If a AAC stadium should seat 35,000 to 40,000 could tulane be forced out of the league.
This is the $64 question left intentionally unaddressed in my post. It does appear that Aresco is dissatisfied with us. It is not a good sign going forward for us; our best course is to return to MBSD, turn Cow/Dick into an IPF and basketball facility or into just an IPF and build new basketball facilities on now closed McCalister Drive.
President Fitts , B of A , it's put up or forever hold your peace time . Make Tulane ATHLETICS relevant and top 30 again .
mbawavefan12
Tsunami

DfromCT wrote:
jonathanjoseph wrote:
Then take legal action rather than post hundreds of complaints on an Internet bulletin board.
Seriously.
mbawavefan12
Tsunami

nawlinspete wrote:
glennc wrote:One other thing . If a AAC stadium should seat 35,000 to 40,000 could tulane be forced out of the league.
This is the $64 question left intentionally unaddressed in my post. It does appear that Aresco is dissatisfied with us. It is not a good sign going forward for us; our best course is to return to MBSD, turn Cow/Dick into an IPF and basketball facility or into just an IPF and build new basketball facilities on now closed McCalister Drive.
We would be a national laughing stock if we converted a 3 year old FBall stadium into an IPF or Bball arena.
RobertM320
Green Wave

nawlinspete wrote:
It was left unaddressed because its a stupid question, probably not worth 64 cents, much less $64. You don't accept a school into a conference knowing they're building a 22K seat stadium, then tell them after the fact its too small and kick them out. Stupidity.
"That mantra is the only consistent thing that never needs to ever change for the rest of this program’s existence because that is all that matters & as long as that keeps occurring, everything will handle itself" -- Nick Anderson
nawlinspete
Riptide

mbawavefan12 wrote:
nawlinspete wrote:
We would be a national laughing stock if we converted a 3 year old FBall stadium into an IPF or Bball arena.
We are a regional laughing stock now, and admitting our stupidity and correcting the problem NOW by returning to MBSD may be the only way to undo the stupidity of the B of A's reign of terror that created this albatross.
President Fitts , B of A , it's put up or forever hold your peace time . Make Tulane ATHLETICS relevant and top 30 again .
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

RobertM320 wrote:
nawlinspete wrote:
It was left unaddressed because its a stupid question, probably not worth 64 cents, much less $64. You don't accept a school into a conference knowing they're building a 22K seat stadium, then tell them after the fact its too small and kick them out. Stupidity.
Although we all know there isn't anywhere close to 30k seats in the bowl of the stadium, the official capacity is 30K. When we sell out, we announce and publish attendance of 30K. They're not going to come and count the seats; just as the official capacity of Devlin/Fogelman is 4100 (yeah, right!) both don't have the seating but both will have inflated attendance numbers whenever we sell them out.

And yes, MBA is correct. There's no converting a brand new stadium into an IPF anytime in the next 5-10 years. It just isn't going to happen.
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
nawlinspete
Riptide

"There's no converting a brand new stadium into an IPF anytime in the next five to ten years...." condemns us to continued mediocrity, ridicule, unattractive home games that will not put butts in the seats or increase donations or season ticket sales and collectively these problems will exacerbate our recruiting problems and give potential new partners (the BIG XII) convenient out of pocket reasons to dismiss our new interest in becoming athletically relevant again.

Cow/Dick must be condemned for what it is, a gross malfeasance by the B of A. We must return to MBSD or face an insurmountable climb back to relevance .
Aberzombie1892
Swell

RobertM320 wrote:
nawlinspete wrote:
Yeah I agree with this - we shouldn't be worried about being kicked out of the AAC in the foreseeable future and we don't need to worry about changing or modifying our football game day facility until (1) a better conference requires us to make changes in order for us to gain entry in that conference or (2) we consistently sell out Yulman and we need to expand to accommodate the demand for fans.
mbawavefan12
Tsunami

Aberzombie1892 wrote:
RobertM320 wrote:
nawlinspete wrote:
Yeah I agree with this - we shouldn't be worried about being kicked out of the AAC in the foreseeable future and we don't need to worry about changing or modifying our football game day facility until (1) a better conference requires us to make changes in order for us to gain entry in that conference or (2) we consistently sell out Yulman and we need to expand to accommodate the demand for fans.
Ah the proverbial chicken of the egg.

Despite not being abe to fill their previous stadium, the University of Houston went out and built a $130mm stadium that can seat 42k plus and has all the bells and whistles including support assets (meeting rooms, weight room, training rooms, offices etc.). This is a big reason why their recruiting has increased drastically and they were able to retain Tom Herman. A 23k Yulman with crap support assets will leave us with an up hill climb when competing against the rest of the AAC on the field and in recruiting, never mind retaining good coaches.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

mbawavefan12 wrote:
Aberzombie1892 wrote:
RobertM320 wrote:
nawlinspete wrote:
Ah the proverbial chicken of the egg.

Despite not being abe to fill their previous stadium, the University of Houston went out and built a $130mm stadium that can seat 42k plus and has all the bells and whistles including support assets (meeting rooms, weight room, training rooms, offices etc.). This is a big reason why their recruiting has increased drastically and they were able to retain Tom Herman. A 23k Yulman with crap support assets will leave us with an up hill climb when competing against the rest of the AAC on the field and in recruiting, never mind retaining good coaches.
This.
jonathanjoseph
Green Wave

DfromCT wrote:
jonathanjoseph wrote:
I don't think you understand how that works.