Lesson Learned

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
nawlinspete
Riptide

Attention recruits; play for Tulane and play in the NFL, ala Davenport, or rot on the pines somewhere else, for example Baton Rouge U, and never get noticed.

wave97
Swell

Ummm.... Wasn't Chris released by the Redskins?
nawlinspete
Riptide

You are missing the point: Tulane affords much greater opportunity than sitting elsewhere.
President Fitts , B of A , it's put up or forever hold your peace time . Make Tulane ATHLETICS relevant and top 30 again .
CoachBrockhoff
High Tide

I wish that Armand Williams would have gone elsewhere.

He was the No. 98 wide receiver in the nation by Rivals.com.
Rated as the No. 29 prospect in the state of Louisiana by Rivals.com.
Earned consecutive all-district honors in District 7-5A in 2008 and 2009.
Caught 32 passes for 638 yards and eight touchdowns his junior season at Slidell High School.
Hauled in 48 passes for 628 yards and eight touchdowns his senior season.

Had offers from Tulsa and Arkansas. (Had actually committed to both at one time).

Changed to LSU late. Yet to catch a pass. In 4 years has only seen the field in 6 games.
mbawavefan12
Tsunami

CoachBrockhoff wrote:I wish that Armand Williams would have gone elsewhere.

Caught 32 passes for 638 yards and eight touchdowns his junior season at Slidell High School.

Had offers from Tulsa and Arkansas. (Had actually committed to both at one time).

Changed to LSU late. Yet to catch a pass. In 4 years has only seen the field in 6 games.
Dam and he is a fifth year senor who has graduated. Could have made an impact at a position of need at TU. There is still a few weeks, can someone pass him a note.
wave97
Swell

"You'll play here" is, by itself, a self defeating pitch.
Recruits will hear that pitch so often that is the difference between who they take seriously & who they don't.
"You'll play here", combined with "this is who we placed in the NFL at your position" will resonate.
Tulane is reaping a strong harvest of defensive backs, due to the quality of the db position coaches.
Great position coaching at Corner, D Tackle & O Line is, imho, the lifeblood of any program.
Good luck to you Julius Warmsley!
sader24
Tsunami

Too many kids aren't honest enough with themselves and not mature enough to understand they need to go somewhere that's the best fit for them. They just look at the offer from the biggest school and wash out. Plus their Parents are too delusional to realize their kid isn't as talented as they think he is. Basic rule of thumb if you're a fallback recruit for someone and it takes a few de-commits for u to get an offer you probably shouldn't go there.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

sader24 wrote:Too many kids aren't honest enough with themselves and not mature enough to understand they need to go somewhere that's the best fit for them. They just look at the offer from the biggest school and wash out. Plus their Parents are too delusional to realize their kid isn't as talented as they think he is. Basic rule of thumb if you're a fallback recruit for someone and it takes a few de-commits for u to get an offer you probably shouldn't go there.
sader...PLUS 111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111..too many times the PARENTS are the Kid's worse ENEMY !!!!
Last edited by golfnut69 on Thu Jul 24, 2014 2:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
nawlinspete
Riptide

Sader, much more forcefully and much less evasively said than my statement. Yours rings the bell !
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

mbawavefan12 wrote:
CoachBrockhoff wrote:I wish that Armand Williams would have gone elsewhere.

Dam and he is a fifth year senor who has graduated. Could have made an impact at a position of need at TU. There is still a few weeks, can someone pass him a note.
Exactly! He could play without sitting out, and get a year of Grad school at Tulane!
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
NOLA Fan
Ripple

Guys, If the kid knew what we know, I agree with your point.
However, if you are 17 or 18 & have a choice of playing today in front of 10 to 12K at Tulane or Tulsa or Houston or, coming out of the tunnel in front of 104K & being on a team playing every year for a NC or major bowl & playing at Alabama or Florida.......even if you sit on the bench or play special teams. This is the "now" generation remember. The goal must be to get those Louisiana 3 stars & coach them up....& get more than 12 to 15 K in the stands.
wave97
Swell

I feel certain that if you asked any of these kids whether they regret their choice to participate in a program that plays at the highest level of any programs in the country they would look at you in the eye and say no. They may have been a sh*tbird, but for the rest of their lives they will have been a football player for XYZ University.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

The best possible thing for those kids would be to have the NCAA reduce the number of football scholarships from 85 down to 75 or less. That way the big schools will have less room for those 3 stars kids to stockpile and rot on the bench for 4-5 years.. It would make for better competition across the board. It would be nice to give those 10 scholarships to other programs. (baseball sure could use a few). Then those three star kids end up at schools like Tulane and play. And we'd have less room for two star kids.... I remember back when there were no limits on football scholarships. Bear Bryant would sign 16 QB's just so no other schools could get them. Before 1973 Football schools could offer as many scholarships as they could afford and many had 150 players or more. 1973 brought about the first limitations on football scholarships in order to free up money for women's sports after Title IX was passed by Congress in 1972 as part of the Equal Opportunity in Education Act. This caused the NCAA schools' presidents and athletic directors to push through a limit of 105 football scholarships. Additional reductions were made in 1978 (95) and again in 1992 which brought the limit to its present number of 85. I would like to see it be reduced once again. Too many kids don't see the field. You could have three deep at every position which would mean 66 people so add another 9 and cut it off at 75.
Last edited by tpstulane on Thu Jul 24, 2014 4:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

tpstulane wrote:The best possible thing for those kids would be to have the NCAA reduce the number of football scholarships from 85 down to 75 or less. That way the big schools will have less room for those 3 stars kids to stockpile and rot on the bench for 4-5 years.. It would make for better competition across the board. I would be nice to give those 10 scholarships to other programs. (baseball sure could use a few). Then those three star kids end up at schools like Tulane and play. And we'd have less room for two star kids.... I remember back when there were no limits on football scholarships. Bear Bryant would sign 16 QB's just so no other schools could get them. Before 1973 Football schools could offer as many scholarships as they could afford and many had 150 players or more. 1973 brought about the first limitations on football scholarships in order to free up money for women's sports after Title IX was passed by Congress in 1972 as part of the Equal Opportunity in Education Act. This caused the NCAA schools' presidents and athletic directors to push through a limit of 105 football scholarships. Additional reductions were made in 1978 (95) and again in 1992 which brought the limit to its present number of 85. I would like to see it be reduced once again. Too many kids don't see the field.
Yep...back in the day a school would sign a kid just so he could not play against them... the Kid may actually get a uniform if he was lucky...ahhh just look at Nebraska..ever wonder how they had such a great "walk on" program...just look at the "county ride" program in the state...seems like each county had one grant in aid to give to a worthy student... seems like each county gave one to a worthy, football playing, student and that time it did not count against the NCAA limit
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
winwave
Top of the WAVE

tpstulane wrote:The best possible thing for those kids would be to have the NCAA reduce the number of football scholarships from 85 down to 75 or less. That way the big schools will have less room for those 3 stars kids to stockpile and rot on the bench for 4-5 years.. It would make for better competition across the board. It would be nice to give those 10 scholarships to other programs. (baseball sure could use a few). Then those three star kids end up at schools like Tulane and play. And we'd have less room for two star kids.... I remember back when there were no limits on football scholarships. Bear Bryant would sign 16 QB's just so no other schools could get them. Before 1973 Football schools could offer as many scholarships as they could afford and many had 150 players or more. 1973 brought about the first limitations on football scholarships in order to free up money for women's sports after Title IX was passed by Congress in 1972 as part of the Equal Opportunity in Education Act. This caused the NCAA schools' presidents and athletic directors to push through a limit of 105 football scholarships. Additional reductions were made in 1978 (95) and again in 1992 which brought the limit to its present number of 85. I would like to see it be reduced once again. Too many kids don't see the field. You could have three deep at every position which would mean 66 people so add another 9 and cut it off at 75.
I have been saying this for several years. The number should be 70. That gives you a third stringer at every position and then 4 for ST's: PK,Punter, DS and return man.
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.