Greatest Tulane baseball player of all-time?

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
tnelly15
Riptide

In honor of this quote
@TigerRagRobert: Mainieri calls Cannizaro "probably the greatest player in Tulane baseball history."
Who do you think is the GOAT as a Tulane baseball player? Best that I've seen in no order: Gautreau, Aubrey, Bogusevic, Jurries, Sutter.

If Owings played more than 1 season he'd be up there.

tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

tnelly15 wrote:In honor of this quote
@TigerRagRobert: Mainieri calls Cannizaro "probably the greatest player in Tulane baseball history."
Who do you think is the GOAT as a Tulane baseball player? Best that I've seen in no order: Gautreau, Aubrey, Bogusevic, Jurries, Sutter.

That's a difficult one. I would say Top 10. I don't know a fair way of selecting the best ever. Some had power, some speed, some a great glove, some great arm... ect.
Then you have pitchers to consider. I played on the team with Frank Wills and he was as good as any pitcher that came out of Tulane I have seen.
I think you could say this, Andy could probably be the best "all-around" player to wear a Tulane baseball jersey. (Combine speed, baseball IQ, BA, fielding, and intangibles). But if I were to start a team from scratch, no doubt I'd pick Micah Owings first.
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

tnelly15 wrote:In honor of this quote

Pitchers...U have to include Steve Mura... the "All Leather" team would have to include Marty Donovan and John "frazier" LeBlanc
Last edited by golfnut69 on Mon Jul 21, 2014 4:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
sader24
Tsunami

Agree with TPS, Owings would be the guy I'd build around, but not enough can be said about how vital it is to have a guy of Cannizaros ability and consistency at shortstop for 4 straight years. In strictly best "baseball player" terms I think Cannizaro was likely the best that I've seen. Other guys had better years and may have been more explosive at the plate, but all around I can't say that he wasn't the best to play here.
JTLiuzza
Swell

tpstulane wrote:But if I were to start a team from scratch, no doubt I'd pick Micah Owings first.
Me too. Remember that booming shot over the light standard in left field? Can't remember the opponent. Just going through the list of guys in my head brings back tons of good memories. I can't wait for Coach to start manufacturing some more memorable moments for TU baseball.
The second commandment has not been abrogated.
OUG
Riptide

I'd probably go with Gautreau for his consistency at the plate and his overall leadership. He reminds me a lot of a Ryan Zimmerman or a Joe Mauer in that regard.
tnelly15
Riptide

I didn't want to include pitchers other than the two-way players, because it's tough to compare pitchers to hitters. As far as pitchers go Jason Navarro would be up there.

I suppose it depends what you guys are looking for in terms of Greatest of all-time. For me, I'm looking for the guy who produced the most. Owings probably had the greatest season, but he was only around for 1 year. I'd take 3 years of Bogusevic, Aubrey or Gautreau over 1 year of Owings or 4 years of Cannizaro.

I'm with you OUG as far as guys who just hit and played the field, Gaut is the best I've seen. CUSA player of the decade for a reason.
Fred Dowler
Riptide

Nobody mentioning Tookie Spann??
Tulane sports: small football stadium, very small basketball arena, w̶i̶n̶n̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶p̶r̶o̶g̶r̶a̶m̶s̶, h̶o̶n̶e̶s̶t̶y̶ ̶a̶n̶d̶ ̶a̶c̶c̶o̶u̶n̶t̶a̶b̶i̶l̶i̶t̶y̶ , but, hey, now there's tailgating.
msdos
Swell

Micah is probably the best, but id be more inclined to pick someone who was here for 4 years like Andy or Goat.
CoachBrockhoff
High Tide

I was about to say Tookie Spann. Also add Dan Wagner to the list. He still owns several records.

He has the career batting average (.380), triples (16) and total bases (619) record.
He is tied in runs scored (284).
lurker123
Swell

Bobby Brown. He has four MLB World Series rings and quit when he was only 30. Plus he married the Tulane Homecoming Queen.

After that I'd go with Wills but all other nominees are fun to think about as well.

Great compliment to AC and Tulane baseball program that he won the LSU job.
tnelly15
Riptide

IMO, pro career shouldn't factor in to this debate.
NOLABigSteve
Riptide

Micah Owings. He did it all.
Roll Wave!
Tulane University c/o 2003
Football Defensive End '99, '00, '01, '02
2002 Hawaii Bowl Champions
School of Engineering (Computer Science)
JTLiuzza
Swell

tnelly15 wrote:IMO, pro career shouldn't factor in to this debate.
What about marrying the Tulane homecoming queen? :P
The second commandment has not been abrogated.
lurker123
Swell

JTLiuzza wrote:
tnelly15 wrote:IMO, pro career shouldn't factor in to this debate.
What about marrying the Tulane homecoming queen? :P
Also to Brown's credit he served in two wars even if it doesn't buff his baseball resume.

mid-40's college baseball seasons had 20 or so games versus 60 of the current era for all players mentioned above. Like comparing MLB dead ball (or even pre 1900) players with folks today.

If "modern" era only and looking exclusively at Tulane career, I might pick Gautreau, Wills or even Mura and maybe Wagner. I can't pick Owings since he only played one year at Tulane.

Fun to pontificate about though.
tnelly15
Riptide

We may be underestimating Michael Aubrey and even Bogusevic. Those two did it all as well. Aubrey's numbers are a bit better than Gautreau's
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Bogey was the best. Aubrey, Andy, Micah way up there. As noted above don't forget about Wagner. Glad to see Mura mentioned by a couple of others here. Outstanding.
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
BC Wave
Swell

It was a different era, but Carey Livingston was pretty damn good!
exflash
High Tide

---Tulane's best player ever was the guy on the cover of the history of Tulane baseball---John Olegues!!!! ---I think he struck out 23-23 against Ole Miss one year----think about that--there were no middle relief or closers---JUST HE!!!
Last edited by exflash on Tue Jul 22, 2014 7:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

BC Wave wrote:It was a different era, but Carey Livingston was pretty damn good!
Good catch. Duhon was good too. Then there's Billy Fitz.
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
TU23
High Tide

I'm biased but Michael Aubrey was the best player I played with at Tulane. I watched a lot of Micah Owings and I think he was clearly a better college pitcher than Mike was, but Mike was a much better hitter. I also think Owings gets the benefit of having only played one year at Tulane. He had a great year but he didn't have to sustain it. Mike was national freshman of the year and then hit .420 on the 2003 team where he had very little protection in the lineup. If he wouldn't have had such a bad back, I think he would've played a long time in the big leagues. He played the 2002 season injured and hit over .300 with a bulging disc that required epidurals every few months. James Jurries and Gautreau were great hitters. Jake was also a great leader. Andy, Giarratano, and Tommy were all great fielders. I don't think people realize how good/talented Tony Giarratano was. Physically the most talented of that trio. Made it to the big leagues at 22. Another career lost to injuries.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

Micah Owings, despite only playing one year, took the team on his back to Omaha. They were a good team, but not a CWS team without him. Micah put them over the top, and delivered as promised. On the mound, at 1st base, and especially at the plate, Owings was da man!
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
Fred Dowler
Riptide

DfromCT wrote:Micah Owings, despite only playing one year, took the team on his back to Omaha. They were a good team, but not a CWS team without him. Micah put them over the top, and delivered as promised. On the mound, at 1st base, and especially at the plate, Owings was da man!
Was the 2001 team more of a complete team? The 1999 team?
Tulane sports: small football stadium, very small basketball arena, w̶i̶n̶n̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶p̶r̶o̶g̶r̶a̶m̶s̶, h̶o̶n̶e̶s̶t̶y̶ ̶a̶n̶d̶ ̶a̶c̶c̶o̶u̶n̶t̶a̶b̶i̶l̶i̶t̶y̶ , but, hey, now there's tailgating.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

DfromCT wrote:Micah Owings, despite only playing one year, took the team on his back to Omaha. They were a good team, but not a CWS team without him. Micah put them over the top, and delivered as promised. On the mound, at 1st base, and especially at the plate, Owings was da man!
+1
And I would add "in the dugout", he was a team leader that got in people's faces when necessary.
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Have to strongly disagree. Just as in 2000 many of us had predicted we would go to the CWS in 2001. Same happened in 2004. Many said we would go to Omaha again in 2005. That was before anyone knew of Owings transfer.Plus remember that due to his knee surgery he didn't really get productive till midseason. I had to suffer the fools around me who kept saying he was a bust b/c of his slow start. I kept telling them just give him time to get healthy.