Fan IQ Game by Game prediction

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
Robert1969
Riptide

golfnut69
Wild Pelican

Robert1969 wrote:They have Tulane at 7-5.

I am sure many hope this article is accurate... I do not see beating Houston in Houston and Rutgers & SELA is going to be more difficult than many think
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
JTLiuzza
Swell

I'm with you gnut. Nice to see such an optimistic prediction, though.
The second commandment has not been abrogated.
Eaglewave
Swell

golfnut69 wrote:

I am sure many hope this article is accurate... I do not see beating Houston in Houston and Rutgers & SELA is going to be more difficult than many think

I feel ya. Just like I said in another post, CJ and company have been pulling off wins vs bowl playing teams, but they lose to lesser teams. In 2012, there was no way we should have loss to Memphis, UTEP and Rice. In 2013, we should have beaten USA, FAU and UTSA.

In 2014, SLU really makes me uncomfortable. Tulsa, Temple, Memphis, Cincinnati, UConn are all programs who I feel aren't better than us. Our defense should be fine, and the offensive line should be improved. If they aren't improved, then we all need to put some heat on CJ to fire John McDonell.
Ball Sumrall!
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

Eaglewave wrote:
golfnut69 wrote:

I feel ya. Just like I said in another post, CJ and company have been pulling off wins vs bowl playing teams, but they lose to lesser teams. In 2012, there was no way we should have loss to Memphis, UTEP and Rice. In 2013, we should have beaten USA, FAU and UTSA.

In 2014, SLU really makes me uncomfortable. Tulsa, Temple, Memphis, Cincinnati, UConn are all programs who I feel aren't better than us. Our defense should be fine, and the offensive line should be improved. If they aren't improved, then we all need to put some heat on CJ to fire John McDonell.
Houston is a stretch to predict a W. In Houston, I think it's more than a stretch, it's wishful thinking! Memphis has been improving in a big way and might be better than most of us think. Yes, their record was not good last year, but looking closer they lost a whole lot of close games and return most of their starters. UConn had a coach who had the college game outgrow him (Paul Pasqualoni) but they won their last three games after he stepped down. I expect Tulane to beat UConn, but it won't be a "gimme" win. Temple is a whole lot like Tulane, and I don't think that one is a gimme win, either. And again, particularly under CJ, we're going to come out and fall behind against a team that we think we'll easily beat (USL?) so there's the wildcard loss out there, too! Expecting a road win at Rutgers might be a bit much, too. I'm sure Rutgers fans have circled that game as a W for the Scarlet Knights, who, by the way, played the first intercollegiate football game.

I hope I'm wrong, but I don't think we get to bowl eligibility this coming year. My prediction is 4 wins, maybe 5 if things unfold in our favor. Again, SHOW ME and I'll happily admit I was wrong.
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
slulionsfan
Ripple

9/13 – vs. Southeast Louisiana: WIN

After seeing the speed and athleticism Georgia Tech has to offer on offense, seeing an FCS team will be a cake walk.
I'm pretty sure the kid who wrote this hasn't seen the Lions play. ;)
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

slulionsfan wrote:

After seeing the speed and athleticism Georgia Tech has to offer on offense, seeing an FCS team will be a cake walk.

I agree. And GaTech did not impress one iota in their bowl game loss to Ole Miss.

The Lions will bring everything they've got to beat an in-state, private school D1 team. This is a game that could easily not go in Tulane's favor.
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
Eaglewave
Swell

DfromCT wrote:
slulionsfan wrote:

I agree. And GaTech did not impress one iota in their bowl game loss to Ole Miss.

The Lions will bring everything they've got to beat an in-state, private school D1 team. This is a game that could easily not go in Tulane's favor.

Ga Tech's triple option will be a M F'er to deal with. However, our crowd and historic moment in the sun might just make our players transform into a real deal FBS team that night. I am one of those people who believes in "storybook moments". I think our team will be pretty fired up for GT.

I admit that SLU worries me, but not because of SLU. I am more concerned about us getting up to play lesser teams. Say what you want about the score of the Jackson State game last season, but I watched us get outgained by a team without their starting All-Conference QB and RB. Those guys had a true freshman RB starting against us, and then a third string freshman QB taking most of the snaps. USA had just lost to a FCS team and made us look like were didn't belong on the field with them in the first half. FAU and UTSA looked like two FCS programs on both sides of the ball and we couldn't beat them. We also have a history of looking like crap vs SLU.

If CJ has these guys ready to play from the opening kick off, we will beat the SLU. Based on what I saw of them last season vs TCU and one playoff game, I can see a guy like Tyler Gilbert looking like a man among boys against them. I our offensive line can just play at a C level, then we are looking at another smashmouth ULM 2013 game.
Ball Sumrall!
slulionsfan
Ripple

Eaglewave wrote:
DfromCT wrote:
slulionsfan wrote:

Ga Tech's triple option will be a M F'er to deal with. However, our crowd and historic moment in the sun might just make our players transform into a real deal FBS team that night. I am one of those people who believes in "storybook moments". I think our team will be pretty fired up for GT.

I admit that SLU worries me, but not because of SLU. I am more concerned about us getting up to play lesser teams. Say what you want about the score of the Jackson State game last season, but I watched us get outgained by a team without their starting All-Conference QB and RB. Those guys had a true freshman RB starting against us, and then a third string freshman QB taking most of the snaps. USA had just lost to a FCS team and made us look like were didn't belong on the field with them in the first half. FAU and UTSA looked like two FCS programs on both sides of the ball and we couldn't beat them. We also have a history of looking like crap vs SLU.

If CJ has these guys ready to play from the opening kick off, we will beat the SLU. Based on what I saw of them last season vs TCU and one playoff game, I can see a guy like Tyler Gilbert looking like a man among boys against them. I our offensive line can just play at a C level, then we are looking at another smashmouth ULM 2013 game.
Crack kills son ... crack kills. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Eaglewave
Swell

slulionsfan wrote:

Well I have seen you guys play and I know that our guys have seen plenty of bigger, better and stronger linemen than what SLU has to offer. SLU's offensive does look impressive when the are clicking, but they won't be throwing ball on a Nicholls State or Northwestern State secondary. They won't be blocking for their QB and RB against guys that struggle to get in Lamar's and Stephen F. Austin's backfield each week.

SLU can only win this game if the Green Wave sleeps for one half of football.
Ball Sumrall!
Eaglewave
Swell

slulionsfan wrote:
Eaglewave wrote:
DfromCT wrote:
slulionsfan wrote:

Crack kills son ... crack kills. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I am glad they taught you something in that great Health and Physical Education Department that SLU showcases so well.
Ball Sumrall!
slulionsfan
Ripple

Eaglewave wrote:
slulionsfan wrote:

Well I have seen you guys play and I know that our guys have seen plenty of bigger, better and stronger linemen than what SLU has to offer. SLU's offensive does look impressive when the are clicking, but they won't be throwing ball on a Nicholls State or Northwestern State secondary. They won't be blocking for their QB and RB against guys that struggle to get in Lamar's and Stephen F. Austin's backfield each week.

SLU can only win this game if the Green Wave sleeps for one half of football.
I honestly don't think you have seen us play.
sader24
Tsunami

I'm worried about SLU as well, but we are clearly better and more talented than they are. If we play well we'll win by 17+ points.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

for those with time on their hands...U may wish to log onto rantsports.com they have some nice thoughts regarding Tulane and the AAC
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

sader24 wrote:I'm worried about SLU as well, but we are clearly better and more talented than they are. If we play well we'll win by 17+ points.
+1
This coaching staff seems to have us well prepared. I would expect our defense would be the best that SELA QB will have faced. Contain him and we will win going away.
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

tpstulane wrote:
sader24 wrote:I'm worried about SLU as well, but we are clearly better and more talented than they are. If we play well we'll win by 17+ points.
+1
This coaching staff seems to have us well prepared. I would expect our defense would be the best that SELA QB will have faced. Contain him and we will win going away.
I thought the SELA QB played at Oregon or Oregon State before coming to Hammond..pretty sure they had some good D's in the Pac12
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

golfnut69 wrote:
tpstulane wrote:
+1
I thought the SELA QB played at Oregon or Oregon State before coming to Hammond..pretty sure they had some good D's in the Pac12
He just filled in from time to time when Darren Thomas battled some injuries at Oregon. I'm comparing Tulane's D to those in the Southland.
Tulane Class of 1981
slulionsfan
Ripple

tpstulane wrote:
+1
TCU much better defense than Tulane ... not even close.
slulionsfan
Ripple

Really???
Eaglewave
Swell

I am worried about Tulane in this game. Not SLU. I just need to know that CJ will have his players handling this game like they would handle a ECU game. Is SLU a good FCS team? Yes. Are they bigger? No. Are they faster? No. Do they have a more talented depth chart? No. Do they play a tougher schedule? No.

Early Prediction:

SLU 17
Tulane 35

Kelly, Badie and Gilbert have good games.
Ball Sumrall!
slulionsfan
Ripple

Is SLU a good FCS team? Yes. Are they bigger? No. Are they faster? No. Do they have a more talented depth chart? No.
Dude, we're considerably bigger than Tulane on defense, and I would submit faster and more talented. I know we're faster and more talented on offense.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

slulionsfan wrote:
tpstulane wrote:
+1
Wrong. Tulane's defense was ranked #22 in the nation, TCU was #24
And we'll be even better in 2014.
http://www.ncaa.com/stats/football/fbs/current/team/22
Tulane Class of 1981
Show Me
Tsunami

Anybody that saw Tulane play last year saw the tremendous improvement on defense. I would expect that Southeastern QB get pressured throughout the game with mixed coverage's and blitzes. He may even throw a pick or two.
slulionsfan
Ripple

tpstulane wrote:
slulionsfan wrote:
tpstulane wrote:
+1
Well, since you wish to look strictly at numbers:

TCU played the Nos. 1, 11, 33, 35, 50, 61, 65, 66, 77, 101, and 120th ranked offenses; plus Southeastern which was the 10th ranked FCS offense.

Tulane played Nos. 26, 39, 54, 60, 72, 74, 79, 93, 100, 102, 104 and 107; plus Jackson State which was the No. 42 FCS offense, playing a SWAC schedule. Only one Tulane opponent was from a major conference (No. 79 Syracuse) and they hung 52 points on the Green Wave - 42 in the first half.

Need I go on?
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

slulionsfan wrote:
tpstulane wrote:
slulionsfan wrote:
tpstulane wrote:
+1
Well, since you wish to look strictly at numbers:

TCU played the Nos. 1, 11, 33, 35, 50, 61, 65, 66, 77, 101, and 120th ranked offenses; plus Southeastern which was the 10th ranked FCS offense.

Tulane played Nos. 26, 39, 54, 60, 72, 74, 79, 93, 100, 102, 104 and 107; plus Jackson State which was the No. 42 FCS offense, playing a SWAC schedule. Only one Tulane opponent was from a major conference (No. 79 Syracuse) and they hung 52 points on the Green Wave - 42 in the first half.

Need I go on?
Oh No, not again !!! A poster is clouding the issue with factual information !!! I am beginning to think the SELA fans must not have a forum to post on