Stadium Parking / Shuttling

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
exflash
High Tide

exflash wrote:I guess that the Cajuns are the 2000 pound Geauxrilla ----nobody other than LSU would bring a bigger crowd to the dome---the game would bring too many Cajun fans to be played in the new place!!! do you guys agree????
--------We solved a parking problem at UL in a hurry---If you want to park inside the gated area parts of which were free then you needed a $250 RCAF membership----money rolled into the kitty and all were happy campers as they could t-gate in the designated tent type areas or just in the parking lot if not too big an area----the distance from the farthest area to the stadium is about 500 yards!!! Now the about 10 x 10 yard area is about $500 per year!!!

mbawavefan12
Tsunami

exflash wrote:
exflash wrote:I guess that the Cajuns are the 2000 pound Geauxrilla ----nobody other than LSU would bring a bigger crowd to the dome---the game would bring too many Cajun fans to be played in the new place!!! do you guys agree????
--------We solved a parking problem at UL in a hurry---If you want to park inside the gated area parts of which were free then you needed a $250 RCAF membership----money rolled into the kitty and all were happy campers as they could t-gate in the designated tent type areas or just in the parking lot if not too big an area----the distance from the farthest area to the stadium is about 500 yards!!! Now the about 10 x 10 yard area is about $500 per year!!!
You are on a 1200 acre campus in Lafayette, what the hell does that have to do with TU?
RWR
Swell

mbawavefan12 wrote:Copied from another thread, I found this very interesting, though I do think the parking certainly hasn't helped BC's attendance issues:

Though in all seriousness, parking is going to be messy at best. However, I found this interesting:

http://www.bceagles.com/ot/event-parking.html

Parking is very limited for BC games and most have to park at satellite lots located several miles away. To park on campus you need season tickets AND make a sizable yearly donation. Some folks here might not like the satellite option, but it appears most urban campuses have the same issue (e.g. it's the reality, we are not a college town).

"Unlike most college stadiums, you cannot simply drive to Alumni Stadium on game day and park. On campus parking - and some off campus parking - is limited to permit holders. The MBTA (public transportation) gets you to within walking distance of the stadium. It could be a short or long walk depending on whether or not you take the B, C or D green line train. There is also a free shuttle from a satellite lot in Needham."

and this....

"During the football season, all vehicles including university issued permit holders, must be removed from campus by 11:00 p.m. the evening prior to scheduled home games. Students with resident permitted vehicles (SRF permits only) may park on Newton Campus for home football games. Vehicles remaining on the Chestnut Hill campus after 11:00 p.m. will be towed at the owner's expense. Parking in the neighborhoods surrounding Boston College is prohibited and will result in towing at the owner's expense."

Hey Tricky Rick, why don't you fly up north and meet with BC. Hell even do some ass kissing for a future ACC invite.
This example was already hashed out here long ago. BC is an exception to the rule. Most stadiums come w/ample parking for all. Then as a life long New Orleanian I can assure you the shuttle system will not fly w/fans. It works for two weekends of jazz fest b/c it's a compelling event. Tulane v. Ga. Tech is not. Lastly the dome provided cheap and ample parking. That's a convenience that fans enjoyed for 40 years. They won't respond well to having it taken away.
mbawavefan12
Tsunami

RWR wrote:
mbawavefan12 wrote:Copied from another thread, I found this very interesting, though I do think the parking certainly hasn't helped BC's attendance issues:

Though in all seriousness, parking is going to be messy at best. However, I found this interesting:

Parking is very limited for BC games and most have to park at satellite lots located several miles away. To park on campus you need season tickets AND make a sizable yearly donation. Some folks here might not like the satellite option, but it appears most urban campuses have the same issue (e.g. it's the reality, we are not a college town).

"Unlike most college stadiums, you cannot simply drive to Alumni Stadium on game day and park. On campus parking - and some off campus parking - is limited to permit holders. The MBTA (public transportation) gets you to within walking distance of the stadium. It could be a short or long walk depending on whether or not you take the B, C or D green line train. There is also a free shuttle from a satellite lot in Needham."

and this....

"During the football season, all vehicles including university issued permit holders, must be removed from campus by 11:00 p.m. the evening prior to scheduled home games. Students with resident permitted vehicles (SRF permits only) may park on Newton Campus for home football games. Vehicles remaining on the Chestnut Hill campus after 11:00 p.m. will be towed at the owner's expense. Parking in the neighborhoods surrounding Boston College is prohibited and will result in towing at the owner's expense."

Hey Tricky Rick, why don't you fly up north and meet with BC. Hell even do some ass kissing for a future ACC invite.
This example was already hashed out here long ago. BC is an exception to the rule. Most stadiums come w/ample parking for all. Then as a life long New Orleanian I can assure you the shuttle system will not fly w/fans. It works for two weekends of jazz fest b/c it's a compelling event. Tulane v. Ga. Tech is not. Lastly the dome provided cheap and ample parking. That's a convenience that fans enjoyed for 40 years. They won't respond well to having it taken away.
Any idea where, I am not searching through 32 pages. I can only assume you meant "Most URBAN stadiums....". NOLA folks do deal with a ton of horrific parking situations, but (long term) if the product is not very compelling, they will stay home.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

No one knows for sure how parking and tailgating will work out at this time. Once the season starts we'll all learn what works and what doesn't. Hopefully Tulane will also see the problems and will have solutions that are FAN FRIENDLY to solve any problems.
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
Fred Dowler
Riptide

RWR wrote:

and this....

And making each and every student who parks their car on campus (which, from the sound of it, sounded like "no exception even for students who happen to live on campus") clear out and relocate their vehicle somewhere or the other before a game isn't going to go down very well, either. And especially when that "somewhere" can't be somewhere that's fairly close by campus.
Tulane sports: small football stadium, very small basketball arena, w̶i̶n̶n̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶p̶r̶o̶g̶r̶a̶m̶s̶, h̶o̶n̶e̶s̶t̶y̶ ̶a̶n̶d̶ ̶a̶c̶c̶o̶u̶n̶t̶a̶b̶i̶l̶i̶t̶y̶ , but, hey, now there's tailgating.
RWR
Swell

mbawavefan12 wrote:
RWR wrote:

and this....

Any idea where, I am not searching through 32 pages. I can only assume you meant "Most URBAN stadiums....". NOLA folks do deal with a ton of horrific parking situations, but (long term) if the product is not very compelling, they will stay home.
I'm not going back through it either. Just going by memory. :D
RWR
Swell

tpstulane wrote:No one knows for sure how parking and tailgating will work out at this time. Once the season starts we'll all learn what works and what doesn't. Hopefully Tulane will also see the problems and will have solutions that are FAN FRIENDLY to solve any problems.
Then they better be prepared to buy a whole lot of very expensive property and build a huge parking lot.
RWR
Swell

Fred Dowler wrote:
RWR wrote:

and this....

And making each and every student who parks their car on campus (which, from the sound of it, sounded like "no exception even for students who happen to live on campus") clear out and relocate their vehicle somewhere or the other before a game isn't going to go down very well, either. And especially when that "somewhere" can't be somewhere that's fairly close by campus.

They'll park at the dome and then be shuttled to the games. Sorry couldn't resist.
mbawavefan12
Tsunami

RWR wrote:
Fred Dowler wrote:
RWR wrote:

and this....

They'll park at the dome and then be shuttled to the games. Sorry couldn't resist.
Every urban university I have looked up, provides shuttle services? I am confused.
Fred Dowler
Riptide

RWR wrote:
Fred Dowler wrote:
RWR wrote:

and this....

I suppose I would do that if I were a student who lived on campus (although we're talking about needing to move a vehicle for 24 hours or so, not just the time during and immediately before and immediately after games)

Now maybe Rick Dickson didn't mean to be saying what it sounded like he said, as in "devoid of cars," w/r/t students who live on campus and also have permits for (which are expensive, to begin with) and rely on on-campus parking.

But if they don't have that aspect well taken care for the students some way, then they're just asking for it, as in serious trouble (lawsuit, bad publicity) as soon as some unpleasant incident occurs somewhere off-campus in connection with a student having to clear their vehicle out.
Tulane sports: small football stadium, very small basketball arena, w̶i̶n̶n̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶p̶r̶o̶g̶r̶a̶m̶s̶, h̶o̶n̶e̶s̶t̶y̶ ̶a̶n̶d̶ ̶a̶c̶c̶o̶u̶n̶t̶a̶b̶i̶l̶i̶t̶y̶ , but, hey, now there's tailgating.
mbawavefan12
Tsunami

Fred Dowler wrote:
RWR wrote:
Fred Dowler wrote:
RWR wrote:

and this....

I suppose I would do that if I were a student who lived on campus (although we're talking about needing to move a vehicle for 24 hours or so, not just the time during and immediately before and immediately after games)

Now maybe Rick Dickson didn't mean to be saying what it sounded like he said, as in "devoid of cars," w/r/t students who live on campus and also have permits for (which are expensive, to begin with) and rely on on-campus parking.

But if they don't have that aspect well taken care for the students some way, then they're just asking for it, as in serious trouble (lawsuit, bad publicity) as soon as some unpleasant incident occurs somewhere off-campus in connection with a student having to clear their vehicle out.
You could be right with the lawsuits, I will check with some BC grads and see how it has worked for them.
RWR
Swell

Fred Dowler wrote:
RWR wrote:
Fred Dowler wrote:
RWR wrote:

and this....

I was pointing out the irony of how they supposedly don't go to games now b/c of the shuttle ride.
RWR
Swell

mbawavefan12 wrote:
RWR wrote:
Fred Dowler wrote:
RWR wrote:

and this....

Every urban university I have looked up, provides shuttle services? I am confused.
Let's start w/Houston since they are in the AAC. They have plenty of parking for fans.
mbawavefan12
Tsunami

RWR wrote:
Fred Dowler wrote:
RWR wrote:
Fred Dowler wrote:
RWR wrote:

and this....

I was pointing out the irony of how they supposedly don't go to games now b/c of the shuttle ride.
It is more than that, not to mention the shuttle situation was abysmal. I concur on the irony, TU better provide a more suitable option.
Fred Dowler
Riptide

RWR wrote:
Fred Dowler wrote:
RWR wrote:
Fred Dowler wrote:
RWR wrote:

and this....

Oh, yes, you are correct on all counts.

How the whole parking set up is going to be jerking the average fan around -- which the average fan is not to begin to feel like putting up with unless the action on the field is thoroughly compelling -- even though the project has been sold to people as a means to fulfill everyone's burning desire for better tail-gating.

And possibly, probably it's going to be doing the same to the students who rely on campus parking -- even though it was also sold as something to have to get students more involved with following the sports teams. I dare say, as we have seen with the bball program, while the students will come to check it out, a product on the field that's less than compelling will not keep them coming in large numbers.
mbawavefan12
Tsunami

RWR wrote:
mbawavefan12 wrote:
RWR wrote:
Fred Dowler wrote:
RWR wrote:

and this....

Let's start w/Houston since they are in the AAC. They have plenty of parking for fans.
Houston is a commuter school with 40,000 students of course they have parking, that is not relevant in the least to TU. SMU, TCU, BC, USC.........they all deal with shuttles. I am not saying I agree with TU on this as they should have bought up land for more parking and I know for sure BC has more on campus parking than TU (they also have more fans and play a better schedule). TU passed on those dorms that Loyola bought at the end of Broadway (thus they could have raised one of the shat on campus dorms and built a garage) and could have done something elsewhere at a location close to campus. RD has zero planning ability, cue the Benny Hill song.

We need Loyola to go bankrupt, sorry Loyola folks.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Fred Dowler wrote:
How the whole parking set up is going to be jerking the average fan around -- which the average fan is not to begin to feel like putting up with unless the action on the field is thoroughly compelling -- even though the project has been sold to people as a means to fulfill everyone's burning desire for better tail-gating.
I attended yesterday's Yulman session and was disappointed with a response I rec'd on tailgating.
Here's how its going to work if you want to drop off your own ice chest and grill:
If we play a 2pm game NOPD & TUPD will close off all vehicle access points leading into campus at 9am. So if you want to tailgate you have to drive to campus before 9am drop off your gear and either start at 9am or go home and come back a few hours later. Then once the game is over NOPD will block off all vehicle access points for 2 hours after the game has ended. So you have to wait at least 2 hours to get your car in there to pick up your stuff. I really don't see anyone doing this.
Tulane is counting on fans to use their "Beer Garden" for tailgating.
Tulane Class of 1981
mbawavefan12
Tsunami

tpstulane wrote:
Fred Dowler wrote:
I attended yesterday's Yulman session and was disappointed with a response I rec'd on tailgating.
Here's how its going to work if you want to drop off your own ice chest and grill:
If we play a 2pm game NOPD & TUPD will close off all vehicle access points leading into campus at 9am. So if you want to tailgate you have to drive to campus before 9am drop off your gear and either start at 9am or go home and come back a few hours later. Then once the game is over NOPD will block off all vehicle access points for 2 hours after the game has ended. So you have to wait at least 2 hours to get your car in there to pick up your stuff. I really don't see anyone doing this.
Tulane is counting on fans to use their "Beer Garden" for tailgating.
Yup, they are already screwing it up and we want to keep arguing about the number of seats.
sader24
Tsunami

Those that seriously tailgate at most big schools get their stuff to the spot a day ahead of time. In Baton Riuge they start parking on Wednesday sometimes or at least did 10 years ago. 95% of college stadiums have nowhere near the convenience of Superdome parking and 20x the competition. Personally, I'll prob just park or get dropped off around Bruno's and bar hop to the game with a stop by the tailgating. In all likelihood 4 out of 6 games are gonna be really hot so I'll be inside as long as possible.
Dr. Rosenrosen
High Tide

If the Georgia Tech game on 9/6 is an afternoon kickoff, it's going to be absolutely brutal. I may just stay in Bruno's before, during and after the game.
JDTulane
Riptide

Ill manage
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

sader24 wrote:Those that seriously tailgate at most big schools get their stuff to the spot a day ahead of time. In Baton Riuge they start parking on Wednesday sometimes or at least did 10 years ago. 95% of college stadiums have nowhere near the convenience of Superdome parking and 20x the competition. Personally, I'll prob just park or get dropped off around Bruno's and bar hop to the game with a stop by the tailgating. In all likelihood 4 out of 6 games are gonna be really hot so I'll be inside as long as possible.
Most do that so they can get a good tailgate spot. I've heard reports at the Bama game well over 100,000 show up outside when 90,000 actually go inside to the game. Comparing the big schools camping out to Tulane doesn't correlate IMO we have a couple of hundred tailgaters at the most if that.
Tulane Class of 1981
RWR
Swell

mbawavefan12 wrote:
RWR wrote:
mbawavefan12 wrote:
RWR wrote:
Fred Dowler wrote:
RWR wrote:

and this....

Houston is a commuter school with 40,000 students of course they have parking, that is not relevant in the least to TU. SMU, TCU, BC, USC.........they all deal with shuttles. I am not saying I agree with TU on this as they should have bought up land for more parking and I know for sure BC has more on campus parking than TU (they also have more fans and play a better schedule). TU passed on those dorms that Loyola bought at the end of Broadway (thus they could have raised one of the shat on campus dorms and built a garage) and could have done something elsewhere at a location close to campus. RD has zero planning ability, cue the Benny Hill song.

We need Loyola to go bankrupt, sorry Loyola folks.
This isn't a tied at the hip issue. They have parking in an urban setting.

As I said earlier the biggest point is that for 40 years people had a great convenience and they are not going to get over that easily.
IM42lane
Swell

Any recent updates on this ???
Regards,
"Pete" Madere