Stadium Parking / Shuttling

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
Fred Dowler
Riptide

1ndabag wrote:Let me add one thing.

When it came to baseball and Turchin, Cowen's philosophy was not "build it and they will come." He insisted that baseball prove that they could draw before he committed to building a stadium. You guys remember that.

Why is it the opposite with football?

Why does he look around in the dome on Saturday, see the pathetic home crowd, and say to himself, "it's time to sink $60million into a stadium"?
I agree with that.

Why on earth would some university leader look around at crowds of less than 10,000 for a Div. 1 FBS football game and think that it's time to invest in a new football stadium that will cost at least $60 million?

Tulane sports: small football stadium, very small basketball arena, w̶i̶n̶n̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶p̶r̶o̶g̶r̶a̶m̶s̶, h̶o̶n̶e̶s̶t̶y̶ ̶a̶n̶d̶ ̶a̶c̶c̶o̶u̶n̶t̶a̶b̶i̶l̶i̶t̶y̶ , but, hey, now there's tailgating.
Fred Dowler
Riptide

galvezwave wrote:
Building a 25,000 seat stadium will only continue Tulane's long line of killer mistakes as it will stamp the program smalltime and only subject the program to more ridicule.

Only from a few idiots in Baton Rouge. And the entire sports world knows they're idiots. Nobody draws comparisons of Tulane with Houston. They moved from the Astrodome to a small OCS and have absolutely exploded. Now, its more to do with great coaching hires and recruiting, which is something Tulane must do also. But I have not heard one iota of ridicule about the size of their stadium. All I know is it's loud and full. Oregon State's stadium seats 35K, fwiw. Just playing devils advocate. Again, I dont care what they do.
If the point is that Tulane has already branded itself as small-time, well, that is hard to disagree with.

Unlike perhaps some I will even go so far as to say that I believe that it will years of back-to-back-to-back seasons of 8 wins or more to make regular attendance go up over the 30,000 mark, i.e. to me the public is very skeptical about Tulane and will not pay much attention until they really, really prove it on the field and show that they're going to keep on doing so over time.

Still, as has been noted, with these other programs they might look on playing in a smaller venue as a temporary measure and with a clear intent to grow and become bigger and better and so on.

Does anyone get a sense that Tulane is just itching to become bigger and better? I sure don't.

If anything, it all just sounds like they think that somehow smaller is better.
Tulane sports: small football stadium, very small basketball arena, w̶i̶n̶n̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶p̶r̶o̶g̶r̶a̶m̶s̶, h̶o̶n̶e̶s̶t̶y̶ ̶a̶n̶d̶ ̶a̶c̶c̶o̶u̶n̶t̶a̶b̶i̶l̶i̶t̶y̶ , but, hey, now there's tailgating.
galvezwave
Swell

yes, the true problem the on the field product. Fix that abomination. This other stuff is useless drivil. But at least its interesting conversation.
Green Wave
Swell

msdos wrote:I just can't see anyone walking 6 blocks for Tulane vs. South Alabama/ULM/Rice/SMU/Memphis/etc.
I walked 10 blocks to see Tulane VMI. Tulane beat them 44-0. I had a blast.

I suggest if you dont want to walk then take the streetcar and have a nice stroll through the campus.

Can you still rent streetcars?
ROLL WAVE!
Green Wave
Swell

When it came to baseball and Turchin, Cowen's philosophy was not "build it and they will come." He insisted that baseball prove that they could draw before he committed to building a stadium. You guys remember that.

Why does he look around in the dome on Saturday, see the pathetic home crowd, and say to himself, "it's time to sink $60million into a stadium"?
I dont think Tulane will be sinking 60 million into an OCS. It will be donated. :mrgreen:
ROLL WAVE!
Green Wave
Swell

RWR wrote:They're in Boise. Our fans have shown time and again that if we win they will show up. This is the deep south and football is king. We simply need to make the necessary changes in order to allow the program to win.
1997 ended a long drought as the wave finished 7-4. In 1998, Tulane went 12-0.

Despite a winning season the year before, Tulane's 1998 undefeated season only averaged 27,944 and ranked 70th overall.

http://www.ncaa.org/wps/wcm/connect/pub ... dance.html

I suggest you make sure you have some facts to work with next time. Of course, you would not have anything to say then since bs can rarely be verified.
ROLL WAVE!
jonathanjoseph
Green Wave

Green Wave wrote:
RWR wrote:They're in Boise. Our fans have shown time and again that if we win they will show up. This is the deep south and football is king. We simply need to make the necessary changes in order to allow the program to win.

Despite a winning season the year before, Tulane's 1998 undefeated season only averaged 27,944 and ranked 70th overall.

I suggest you make sure you have some facts to work with next time. Of course, you would not have anything to say then since bs can rarely be verified.
Here's a fact for you. Boise is 96-11 in the past decade with 10 straight bowl appearances including 2 BCS bowls. I think the facts show quite clearly that you can play in the middle of nowhere on a blue field against a non-BCS schedule and still draw over 30K.

No one should confuse a miraculous season with sustained winning.
RWR
Swell

Green Wave wrote:

As usual you shoot off your mouth w/no clue as to what you are talking about. Before 1997 we had gone 15 years w/out a winning season. Therefore the fan base had been eroded to less than 5,000 actual at our games going into 1997. As we won more came. CUSA was a very weak conference then even more so than now. In 1998 our crowds grew even w/two games being played during hurricane evacuations. We drew 38,000 for the last game which was the only one played at night. And there were over 5,000 people that walked away b/c only one ticket window was open. That's tremendous growth in two years after 15 YEARS WITHOUT A WINNING SEASON. If RR got hired no telling where our attendance would have gone.

It's no wonder our ath. dept. is such a shambles when employees like you spend so much time here.
Fred Dowler
Riptide

Green Wave wrote:

I dont think Tulane will be sinking 60 million into an OCS. It will be donated. :mrgreen:
Maybe someone will donate the necessary funds, but whether this idea becomes a reality, if indeed the school is serious about it, which I suspect that in fact they might not be but rather just are throwing this talk out just to excite the certain contingent of followers who claim that they want this, will largely be a matter of whether someone out there wants to make an 8-figure donation for it and so far no one seems to have jumped at the chance.

If you want to talk about the on-field product, well, there just hasn't been so much to say lately but this is something that they can do and I doubt that there are very many tricks that they deem beneath their dignity to employ.
Fred Dowler
Riptide

Green Wave wrote:
msdos wrote:I just can't see anyone walking 6 blocks for Tulane vs. South Alabama/ULM/Rice/SMU/Memphis/etc.
I walked 10 blocks to see Tulane VMI. Tulane beat them 44-0. I had a blast.

I suggest if you dont want to walk then take the streetcar and have a nice stroll through the campus.

Can you still rent streetcars?
Let's face it. It's not exactly going to be located on the academic quad. Even if you take the streetcar and walk -- and absolutely it's a nice walk and all -- it's still a pretty fair walk from almost one end of the campus the other where this stadium probably would be.

Still, what are you supposed to do if you don't happen to live near the streetcar line or you're coming in from the suburban areas? Park in the Superdome lot and take the bus from there?
sader24
Tsunami

I've been posting this for 20 years. This is my last time posting this. In 1996 we drew 3,500 total for Tulane-Syracuse for the last game. In 98 for the Houston game before La.Tech we drew a legitimate 27,000 people. Not inflated but legit. That's a 23,500 increase in 24 months. For the La.Tech game we drew 38K and 3K were La.Tech fans which means we went from 3500 in November of 96 to 35000 in November of 98. When you go from 3500 actual bodies to 27000 actual bodies in 12 months it should be celebrated not ridiculed. When you go from 3500 actual bodies to 35000 actual bodies in 24 months it should be studied.
jonathanjoseph
Green Wave

sader24 wrote:I've been posting this for 20 years. This is my last time posting this. In 1996 we drew 3,500 total for Tulane-Syracuse for the last game. In 98 for the Houston game before La.Tech we drew a legitimate 27,000 people. Not inflated but legit. That's a 23,500 increase in 24 months. For the La.Tech game we drew 38K and 3K were La.Tech fans which means we went from 3500 in November of 96 to 35000 in November of 98. When you go from 3500 actual bodies to 27000 actual bodies in 12 months it should be celebrated not ridiculed. When you go from 3500 actual bodies to 35000 actual bodies in 24 months it should be studied.
Bingo.
Green Wave
Swell

sader24 wrote:I've been posting this for 20 years. This is my last time posting this. In 1996 we drew 3,500 total for Tulane-Syracuse for the last game. In 98 for the Houston game before La.Tech we drew a legitimate 27,000 people. Not inflated but legit. That's a 23,500 increase in 24 months. For the La.Tech game we drew 38K and 3K were La.Tech fans which means we went from 3500 in November of 96 to 35000 in November of 98. When you go from 3500 actual bodies to 27000 actual bodies in 12 months it should be celebrated not ridiculed. When you go from 3500 actual bodies to 35000 actual bodies in 24 months it should be studied.
inuendo, conjecture, and hear say.

Same old crap. Cant use numbers so make em up as you go.

28k. That was the average attendance for 1998. The rest is coulda shoulda woulda.

1999s first home game was 20K. It took all of one loss to bring the Wave attendance back down.

2003 opening game at home after Tulane had a winning record in the last 4 out 6 seasons, 28.9K

No where has Tulane proven that it can fill the Superdome unless it plays LSU. The Superdome has no home field advantage because its not home for Tulane and the venue is too big for the fan base.

Graph published in the Hullabaloo in 2010 for 2009 season:

Just a third of capacity. TOO BIG!
ROLL WAVE!
DrBox
Riptide

Green Wave wrote:

28k. That was the average attendance for 1998. The rest is coulda shoulda woulda.

1999s first home game was 20K. It took all of one loss to bring the Wave attendance back down.

2003 opening game at home after Tulane had a winning record in the last 4 out 6 seasons, 28.9K

No where has Tulane proven that it can fill the Superdome unless it plays LSU. The Superdome has no home field advantage because its not home for Tulane and the venue is too big for the fan base.

I agree that we could use an OCS, but Dickson needs to be run out of town if he puts forth anything less than 30K.
To call the 2003 opener after "4 out of 6 winning seasons" ignores the reality; it also came right after the review, and 1 of those "winning seasons" was a complete backdoor job (we won the last 3 against 2 teams whose coaches were fired, and one against a 1 win team and suffered several blowout losses). The program was in clear decline under Scelfo.
We certainly can draw 30K and it is remarkable what our ACTUAL attendance does when we win. Tulane is thankful to have so many loyal out of town supporters who buy tickets but never go (fan bashers in the athletic department should realize that). It's not the fans - it's the product.
Dickson put us into this mess with his 2 extensions for Scelfo (when he should have been fired when Dickson took over) but hopefully he gets us out.
RWR
Swell

DrBox wrote:
Green Wave wrote:

I agree that we could use an OCS, but Dickson needs to be run out of town if he puts forth anything less than 30K.
To call the 2003 opener after "4 out of 6 winning seasons" ignores the reality; it also came right after the review, and 1 of those "winning seasons" was a complete backdoor job (we won the last 3 against 2 teams whose coaches were fired, and one against a 1 win team and suffered several blowout losses). The program was in clear decline under Scelfo.
We certainly can draw 30K and it is remarkable what our ACTUAL attendance does when we win. Tulane is thankful to have so many loyal out of town supporters who buy tickets but never go (fan bashers in the athletic department should realize that). It's not the fans - it's the product.
Dickson put us into this mess with his 2 extensions for Scelfo (when he should have been fired when Dickson took over) but hopefully he gets us out.
No matter the truth GW always ignores it. To call 2000 a winning season is a joke. It was a matter of a bad team winning against really bad teams. It drew no interest. While we all believe in Tulane and are truly the optimist people like GW claim to be positive when in fact they have no faith in the programs capability.
Fred Dowler
Riptide

Green Wave wrote:

Interesting numbers.

This needs to be said, though: the program on that list who is the closest league counterpart to Tulane is Rice.

Now they have always played in their own stadium right on campus.

Has having that item helped them to field a consistent winner and if so then to what extent?

They have had a couple of ok seasons very recently, however for decades before Rice was typically not a winner and not even close.

Has having that item, therefore, kept a lot of people interested in their program in the times when they weren't winning and has it boosted up interest in the more recent times when they have had these ok seasons?

The available evidence does not seem to support that conclusion.

It's still fair to say that if the team doesn't win games people will not be chomping at the bit in large numbers to go and attend games.

If Tulane really does proceed with this project (again, I will believe it when I see it) at some point the novelty effect of it will wear off and even the most ardent proponents have to concede that the novelty can't last forever and then it all goes back to whether you win or you don't win.

If you think that if Tulane does manage to turn things around and win games people will still not be coming in large numbers, well, you might well be correct in that analysis. I'm not as optimistic as some. I contend that the program is going to have to prove it on the field and do a whole lot of proving before a lot of people will start to pay attention to it. We'll just have to see what happens. But what I believe very firmly is that if they don't turn it around on the field all of the smoke and mirrors and packaging and new stadia in the world aren't going to help the situation but in fact would only be a waste.
jonathanjoseph
Green Wave

Green Wave wrote:

LOL. You mean the 1999 home game after Cowen/Dickson hired a no-name instead of Rich Rodriguez (who was wearing an olive green blazer that day) and the team came off a 48-14 loss to a team they beat the previous year? Versus an SMU team which was one of the worst in the country at the time?

Do you understand that 20K is actually a lot of people under those circumstances? Had Cowen/Dickson hired RR you think there would have been 20K there?

Or 29K 4 months after Cowen tried to dump the program?

I don't think anyone is suggesting that we continue to play in any stadium at 1/3 capacity. I think we are all advocating we stop lying about attendance figures and just put a winning product together that will sell tickets in any stadium.
sader24
Tsunami

Here's the truth before you spin it. In 96 we were drawing 3-5,000 people in the stands consistently. In 97 we opened against Cincy in front of 16K real bodies. The next week we played Rice in front of 19K real bodies. By the end of the season for the Memphis game we were consistently drawing 23K real bodies with a 5-4 record against less than exciting competition. That's an increase in 20K real bodies in less than 12 months. In 98 our first home game was against Navy on the same day that an evacuation of New Orleans was ordered for Hurricane Georges. That drew 16K because everyone was either out of town or getting ready to leave. I was at the game and downtown was a ghost town. That game would've drawn 30K easy because there was lots of momentum and excitement around the program. The next game was against USM whose campus and fanbase was hit by Hurricane Georges. That game drew 32k because people were still filtering back in town as many turned the evacuation into a vacation instead of fighting the traffic back in town and many USM fans didn't make the trip because their property had been damaged and/or destroyed by Georges. With no hurricane that game draws 40-45K for sure. Then we played a game against USL that drew 25K because we were favored by about 100 and blew them out of the building. If you take the Hurricane out and replace USL with Ole Miss which an undefeated Tulane team look for a BCS bid against a ranked SEC team would've drawn 50K minimum. Just those facts alone change the 27K number to 35K which is the accurate number we hit against La. Tech in the last game of the season also our only night game. Let's also look at the Ole Miss game from the year before when neither team was rank and we drew 35K and lost another 5-7K outside because only 1 ticket window was open a mistake that was made a year later again and kept 38K from being 42K. Many people waited in that line till halftime and probably never came to another Tulane game again because of it. Here are the facts if you want to actually examine the situation instead of throwing out a number that doesn't paint an accurate picture. After 15 years of losing we increased our legit attendance by 30,000 actual bodies in 24 months. We played most of our games during the day, had a game on a day of a hurricane evacuation, played a team that usually draws well here less than a week after they had been hit by a hurricane, had 2 games that would've drawn over 40K only to be ill prepared with 1 ticket window open, and played a USL team that nobody in America wanted to watch play. We traveled in between 25-30K to Memphis for a bowl game, a number that would exceed the rumored capacity of the OCS. We then watched all momentum crushed by hiring an unknown instead of elevating the architect of the offense in a crazy press conference that was so Tulane-esque the spurned coach was stuck on stage in a green suit listening to a guy who could carry his jockstrap accept his job. We then traveled 5K to USM to watch the team get absolutely demolished by a team we had beat by 2TD's a year before and also see just how poorly coached and ill prepared the team was. I'm going to go out on a limb here and say 3 more years of Rodriguez and winning has our attendance consistently in between 38-42K with lower numbers for really unattractive game and 50+ for a few games. If Tulane goes 96-11 over 10 years and plays in 2 BCS bowls I'm fairly certain we will draw over 50K on a very consistent basis. Conversely if Tulane goes 11-96 over 10 years we'll draw less than 5K on a very consistent basis. The product is the problem, the demand is there we just refuse to provide the supply.
jonathanjoseph
Green Wave

sader24 wrote:Here's the truth before you spin it. In 96 we were drawing 3-5,000 people in the stands consistently. In 97 we opened against Cincy in front of 16K real bodies. The next week we played Rice in front of 19K real bodies. By the end of the season for the Memphis game we were consistently drawing 23K real bodies with a 5-4 record against less than exciting competition. That's an increase in 20K real bodies in less than 12 months. In 98 our first home game was against Navy on the same day that an evacuation of New Orleans was ordered for Hurricane Georges. That drew 16K because everyone was either out of town or getting ready to leave. I was at the game and downtown was a ghost town. That game would've drawn 30K easy because there was lots of momentum and excitement around the program. The next game was against USM whose campus and fanbase was hit by Hurricane Georges. That game drew 32k because people were still filtering back in town as many turned the evacuation into a vacation instead of fighting the traffic back in town and many USM fans didn't make the trip because their property had been damaged and/or destroyed by Georges. With no hurricane that game draws 40-45K for sure. Then we played a game against USL that drew 25K because we were favored by about 100 and blew them out of the building. If you take the Hurricane out and replace USL with Ole Miss which an undefeated Tulane team look for a BCS bid against a ranked SEC team would've drawn 50K minimum. Just those facts alone change the 27K number to 35K which is the accurate number we hit against La. Tech in the last game of the season also our only night game. Let's also look at the Ole Miss game from the year before when neither team was rank and we drew 35K and lost another 5-7K outside because only 1 ticket window was open a mistake that was made a year later again and kept 38K from being 42K. Many people waited in that line till halftime and probably never came to another Tulane game again because of it. Here are the facts if you want to actually examine the situation instead of throwing out a number that doesn't paint an accurate picture. After 15 years of losing we increased our legit attendance by 30,000 actual bodies in 24 months. We played most of our games during the day, had a game on a day of a hurricane evacuation, played a team that usually draws well here less than a week after they had been hit by a hurricane, had 2 games that would've drawn over 40K only to be ill prepared with 1 ticket window open, and played a USL team that nobody in America wanted to watch play. We traveled in between 25-30K to Memphis for a bowl game, a number that would exceed the rumored capacity of the OCS. We then watched all momentum crushed by hiring an unknown instead of elevating the architect of the offense in a crazy press conference that was so Tulane-esque the spurned coach was stuck on stage in a green suit listening to a guy who could carry his jockstrap accept his job. We then traveled 5K to USM to watch the team get absolutely demolished by a team we had beat by 2TD's a year before and also see just how poorly coached and ill prepared the team was. I'm going to go out on a limb here and say 3 more years of Rodriguez and winning has our attendance consistently in between 38-42K with lower numbers for really unattractive game and 50+ for a few games. If Tulane goes 96-11 over 10 years and plays in 2 BCS bowls I'm fairly certain we will draw over 50K on a very consistent basis. Conversely if Tulane goes 11-96 over 10 years we'll draw less than 5K on a very consistent basis. The product is the problem, the demand is there we just refuse to provide the supply.
Well said, and with the facts. Your last point remains important, that if we were consistently successful, playing in the Superdome would be a tremendous, tremendous advantage. Yet we have no leadership who understands or shares that vision.
RWR
Swell

Good comparison Fred. But there is one point I strongly disagree w/you about that you repeat in most of your posts and that's the length of time it would take to get our fan base back. See saders post to explain why. great post sader.
msdos
Swell

Green Wave wrote: Image
There is no way that is our real average attendance. Granted, I don't go to every game, but when I do make them I'd say there's 3k tops.
NOLABigSteve
Riptide

msdos, you're right. That's paid attendance. Actual butts in seats is much, much lower.
Roll Wave!
Tulane University c/o 2003
Football Defensive End '99, '00, '01, '02
2002 Hawaii Bowl Champions
School of Engineering (Computer Science)
galvezwave
Swell

NOLABigSteve wrote:msdos, you're right. That's paid attendance. Actual butts in seats is much, much lower.
Same goes for USM,SMU, Memphis and UAB. 17,000, UAB? Really? At least Rice is somewhat honest.
msdos
Swell

NOLABigSteve wrote:msdos, you're right. That's paid attendance. Actual butts in seats is much, much lower.
Even paid, that seems a bit high. Though, I guess there's no way of knowing that.
RWR
Swell

It actually is based on tix distributed-all students,employees, youth groups and then tickets sold.