Stadium Parking / Shuttling

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
JDTulane
Riptide

RWR wrote:
JDTulane wrote:
RWR wrote:The fly is a horrific idea that will never happen. Absolutely terrible ingress and egress. A traffic nightmare. People need to really think things thru before making suggestions like this. It's not for sale and if it was it would drive the cost up dramatically. This is as ridiculous as suggesting we can build it in Audubon Park.

IT'S NOT THE DOME, IT'S THE LOSING.

So basically if it isn't the dome to you it is a horrific idea and should never be discussed or mentioned. :roll:
No. I'm against that idea b/c it has no basis in reality just like a 25,000 seat stadium doesn't. Like everyone here I'm for an OCS if it's done right which entails 50,000 seats to be legit ( can host all our games and won't be used against us in recruiting), provides ample parking, and doesn't try to rape the long time die-hard w/PSL's and high ticket prices. On the other hand your for an OCS no matter how much a detriment it is to the program.

You're right. fuck football, i just want a giant tailgate arena close to where i live. good call bro

jonathanjoseph
Green Wave

JDTulane wrote:
You're right. f**k football, i just want a giant tailgate arena close to where i live. good call bro
Unfortunately, being "for" an OCS without knowing the details suggests as much.

A 25K stadium is a problem.
Fred Dowler
Riptide

RWR wrote:
JDTulane wrote:
RWR wrote:The fly is a horrific idea that will never happen. Absolutely terrible ingress and egress. A traffic nightmare. People need to really think things thru before making suggestions like this. It's not for sale and if it was it would drive the cost up dramatically. This is as ridiculous as suggesting we can build it in Audubon Park.

IT'S NOT THE DOME, IT'S THE LOSING.

So basically if it isn't the dome to you it is a horrific idea and should never be discussed or mentioned. :roll:
No. I'm against that idea b/c it has no basis in reality just like a 25,000 seat stadium doesn't. Like everyone here I'm for an OCS if it's done right which entails 50,000 seats to be legit ( can host all our games and won't be used against us in recruiting), provides ample parking, and doesn't try to rape the long time die-hard w/PSL's and high ticket prices. On the other hand your for an OCS no matter how much a detriment it is to the program.
All excellent points.

If there really, really needs to be a new football stadium for the program then what should be done is to acquire the real estate somewhere off campus where there can be a stadium AND adequate parking and decent ingress and egress for sizable crowds (taking over the park for that is just fantasy).

On campus in reality there's probably only space with the existing buildings left intact for some stadium that might barely seat 30,000, if that, and with not any real room for expansion and also parking is already very, very tight. There is almost NO excess space for that.

The only thing that possibly could be done would be to have some kind of gargantuan parking garage somewhere (now...would tailgating be enjoyable with such a facility?).

Again, if there were serious problems with parking on the opening night of the baseball stadium then how on earth would there not be serious problems x 5 with a football stadium?

Would the people in the neighborhood be willing to sit still with their driveways being blocked, etc.? Would the city be willing to be lenient about enforcing parking violations? I dare say that we all know the answers to those questions.

On campus stadium=a very half-baked idea and especially so if the idea is to have a program that will grow and go places and move forward and ultimately somewhere down the road be able to move up and out of C-USA.

The effort should instead be going into raising funds for an indoor practice facility.
Tulane sports: small football stadium, very small basketball arena, w̶i̶n̶n̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶p̶r̶o̶g̶r̶a̶m̶s̶, h̶o̶n̶e̶s̶t̶y̶ ̶a̶n̶d̶ ̶a̶c̶c̶o̶u̶n̶t̶a̶b̶i̶l̶i̶t̶y̶ , but, hey, now there's tailgating.
IM42lane
Swell

Are there going to be any upgrades to on campus parking before they build this new stadium?
Regards,
"Pete" Madere
IM42lane
Swell

IM42lane wrote:Are there going to be any upgrades to on campus parking before they build this new stadium?
I would suggest that they build a parking garage where the baseball right field parking lot is on Claiborne Ave. At least 5 levels should be the minimum. There used to be a multi-story married students dorm there before Katrina ravaged it, so another building of similar size at that location should not be a serious issue.
Regards,
"Pete" Madere
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Be careful where parking................
http://www.nola.com/crime/index.ssf/201 ... ne_an.html
So far this semester, at least 23 people have been robbed while walking in the area, 14 of whom were students. Eleven of those students were held up at gunpoint.
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
Ruski
Swell

solution for the new stadium parking...build a 4/5 story garage at the Claiborne intersection with first floor retail. Retail includes a Team Fan Shop, a business incubator for the B-school, and pub (Robert's isn't big enough to hold all you geezers who wont be able to make the trek from Broadway)
Fred Dowler
Riptide

In checking the Frequently Asked Questions of the web site of this project, I see that as to parking there will only be "some parking" available.

No surprise.

My thought that this is a pretty half-baked idea has not changed.

Parking and traffic (on neighborhood streets) figure to be a nightmare.
Tulane sports: small football stadium, very small basketball arena, w̶i̶n̶n̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶p̶r̶o̶g̶r̶a̶m̶s̶, h̶o̶n̶e̶s̶t̶y̶ ̶a̶n̶d̶ ̶a̶c̶c̶o̶u̶n̶t̶a̶b̶i̶l̶i̶t̶y̶ , but, hey, now there's tailgating.
Ruski
Swell

Fred Dowler wrote:In checking the Frequently Asked Questions of the web site of this project, I see that as to parking there will only be "some parking" available.

No surprise.

Parking/traffic might be a nightmare but we are talking about what 6 days a year? For a total of at most 5 hours?

This reminds me about the stories over the summer where the NIMBY people were going after the bars......if you don't like it leave!!
JDTulane
Riptide

Ruski wrote:
Fred Dowler wrote:In checking the Frequently Asked Questions of the web site of this project, I see that as to parking there will only be "some parking" available.

No surprise.

Parking/traffic might be a nightmare but we are talking about what 6 days a year? For a total of at most 5 hours?

This reminds me about the stories over the summer where the NIMBY people were going after the bars......if you don't like it leave!!
If 88,000 can do it. 35k can
NOLABigSteve
Riptide

JDTulane wrote:If 88,000 can do it. 35k can
+1

7 games a year, people will find a way. They always do. Parking definitely isn't a deal breaker.
Roll Wave!
Tulane University c/o 2003
Football Defensive End '99, '00, '01, '02
2002 Hawaii Bowl Champions
School of Engineering (Computer Science)
BC Wave
Swell

No surprise.

To be fair, the website does state a feasability study will take place. I know that's vaguebut at least the acknowledge it's an issue:

Here are my quick thoughts:

1. Parking is a little better than the Tulane stadium days with Diboll and Loyola Garage to help.

2. Parking garage on Claiborne is a no brainer. That lot must be better utilized.

3. I've heard rumors Diboll garage can be expanded. I hope it's true.

4. There are numerous schools in the area that may have parking lots and/or open fields availble that would be great fundraisers for their PTA's and booster clubs.

5. A partnership with the city to make the Claiborne neutral ground parking capable would be a good idea.

I really think this parking issue will be solved. I understand the concern, but it's certainly not an overwhelming problem,
JDTulane
Riptide

For those wanting a garage at the Rosen lot... this has been discussed as a possible new dorm spot in the future. So that would mean no parking garage hence their listing as "some" parking.
wavedat
Swell

As has been said they are going to bus people in. There is only one place that is conveniently located just 5 minutes away that can handle the load- THE DOME. Fans will be allowed to tailgate there and then be bussed over.
Tulane didn't have a stadium issue it had a program and facilities issues. To the new President- we want a new AD , a football facility and an IPF. We want top 25 programs in football and basketball the only two sports that count.
HoustonWave
Tsunami

Seems like the Claiborne neutral ground would be perfect. We, or the City, could put in those pavers that allow grass to grow through them, that would keep the cars from trenching the neutral ground. It would be a nice source of revenue for the City and/or Tulane.
Tulane is the University of Louisiana
IM42lane
Swell

about the (lack of) PARKING for the new stadium. While that is still a concern of mine, let me also say that I am very excited that Tulane will one day have its own on campus stadium. I am not against it, as some have tried to surmise from my parking posts.

Of course, having a winner in football is the most important thing to me. I can see where Curtis Johnson can be an asset as far as effective recruiting goes. On that note, I want to mention this to him -- recruit the RIVER PARISH area HARD as well as the NORTHSHORE. It is just a few drives up an interstate highway to get to both areas. Some of the best football talent is produced in this state from there, especially from the River Parishes (St. Charles, St. John, St. James, and Ascension).

Summary: Build it, . . and I will come -- ROLL GREEN WAVE!!!!
Regards,
"Pete" Madere
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

Parking ?!?!?...not a problem.. I will get my "advisers" from Dowee-Cheatum-&Howe to make the homeowners on Audubon Blvd a deal they cannot refuse...implode a few mansions and a multi level parking garage appears !!!
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
Fred Dowler
Riptide

wavedat wrote:As has been said they are going to bus people in. There is only one place that is conveniently located just 5 minutes away that can handle the load- THE DOME. Fans will be allowed to tailgate there and then be bussed over.
That's exactly what's going to end up happening.
Fred Dowler
Riptide

JDTulane wrote:
Ruski wrote:

No surprise.

How about the 5,000, a lot of whom couldn't find legal parking spaces when the baseball stadium held its opening night and got nice presents from the city? But, magically, there's now space for crowds of several times that number?
Last edited by Fred Dowler on Fri Dec 09, 2011 3:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JDTulane
Riptide

Fred Dowler wrote:
JDTulane wrote:
Ruski wrote:

No surprise.

How about the 5,000, a of whom couldn't find legal parking spaces when the baseball stadium held its opening night and got nice presents from the city? But, magically, there's now space for crowds of several times that number?
You couldn't find spots with just 5k? Did you even go to Tulane? ;) I can think of a dozen places off the top of my head.
OGSB
Swell

Ruski wrote: This reminds me about the stories over the summer where the NIMBY people were going after the bars......if you don't like it leave!!
I'll trade my quiet house in Kenner for theirs.
Livin' rent free
galvezwave
Swell

There's not a parking problem. I walked 2 miles to tiger stadium more than once. Its called college football. This is what happens at college football games. You don't drive up to your gate and hand them your ticket while you lock your doors. You don't park in a known illegal area because its across the street. You go early, find a spot, set up your tailgate, and 5 or 6 hours later, walk your ass to the game. This ain't the dome where u park at the steps to the main gate 11 minutes before kickoff.
NOLABigSteve
Riptide

galvezwave wrote:There's not a parking problem. I walked 2 miles to tiger stadium more than once. Its called college football. This is what happens at college football games. You don't drive up to your gate and hand them your ticket while you lock your doors. You don't park in a known illegal area because its across the street. You go early, find a spot, set up your tailgate, and 5 or 6 hours later, walk your ass to the game. This ain't the dome where u park at the steps to the main gate 11 minutes before kickoff.
Definitely agree. +1
Roll Wave!
Tulane University c/o 2003
Football Defensive End '99, '00, '01, '02
2002 Hawaii Bowl Champions
School of Engineering (Computer Science)
OUG
Riptide

Also, as far as tailgating, things are going to be a little non-traditional.

I imagine rather than having huge parking lot tailgating experience, they are going to highlight the campus as much as possible. Assuming that Brown field isn't repurposed as a soccer facility, you'll probably have a small tailgating village set up there. I would think that you'd also have one set up on the quad in front of the LBC. Student activities/clubs, alumni clubs, booster clubs, will all have tents set up the night before the game. Some or most of these will be selling food as fundraisers. Tulane will also likely sell tents in this "village" to groups of fans that will be permitted to set up their own grills and tables.

From Tulane's perspective, a huge part of this is reconnecting the campus with football. There are several reasons why this makes sense from an institutional perspective:

1) Reconnecting the experience to the campus feeds the esprit de corps that can lead to more donations down the line
2) Tulane can make monetize the game day experience through tent sales and rentals.
3) Each department or academic unit can leverage the experience for fundraising.

This is how things are done at SMU. Its an awesome time. Trust me, I hate everything that SMU stands for, but they do a great job with this. If you've been to games at Notre Dame, they do the same thing. While they have parking lot tailgating, lots of people just park their cars and head to the academic and residential part of campus, where all the student clubs are selling food (and at Tulane, they'd be selling beer).

We'll have a unique experience, but one that people will really enjoy.
Robert1969
Riptide

Ruski wrote:
I could write a whole essay on why NIMBYism has taken off. There was a time families would've loved to live near a college football stadium and a few neighborhood bars. But that was in a time where people thought of a house primarily as a home. But now people think of a house as primarily a financial asset. In that regard, neighborhood bars and college football stadiums are seen a nuisances that could hurt the potential value of the asset. While those things could be great to have near a home, they are seen as liability to have near your assets.