Great Video moments in Tulane Football History

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
JTLiuzza
Swell

gbgreenie wrote:I wish Ripple would quit thinking the dome will be huge if Tulane wins. The decision is made the dome is dead as far as being a college facility. All over the country it has been proven over and over that an on campus stadium can't be beat for college football. Tulane could fit a 40,000 seat stadium on campus if it got creative. If not on campus the River Batture behind the zoo would be a great location for the city and Tulane University.
I don't want to further a thread derailment but you're talking about an administration that thinks summer workouts for the football team are too expensive, that an indoor practice facility is a luxury, who prefers busing a team to a game even if it takes forever, who would rather not put the team up in a hotel the night before a game in order to save $5k or so. Your confidence in the leadership who have decided in their proven wisdom and saavy that "the dome is dead as... a college facility" is completely without merit.

How about to begin with they figure out how to not be amongst the absolute bottom of the barrel football program in all of FBS year in and year out then we can go from there? The present administration inherited a phenomenal 12-0 team twelve years ago. They tanked it five minutes into the first game of the following season and have done nothing but step on their d!cks since.* So pardon me if all the talk about their vision and a new beginning on the "River Batture" makes me laugh/sick. I've been watching this crap too long and am not stupid. Put down the kool aid.

*added on edit: Cowen actually tanked it when he told Rodriguez to take a walk and hired Scelfo, long before the stupidity of that decision became apparent on 9/6/99 in Hattiesburg.

The second commandment has not been abrogated.
NOLABigSteve
Riptide

Great videos TPS! I only wish I could have witnessed that or any game in Tulane Stadium.

P.S. I've gone ahead and edited your post so that the YouTube videos are now embedded. Hope you don't mind!
Roll Wave!
Tulane University c/o 2003
Football Defensive End '99, '00, '01, '02
2002 Hawaii Bowl Champions
School of Engineering (Computer Science)
Green Wave
Swell

NOLABigSteve wrote:Great videos TPS! I only wish I could have witnessed that or any game in Tulane Stadium.

P.S. I've gone ahead and edited your post so that the YouTube videos are now embedded. Hope you don't mind!
Nice!

Maybe it should get how do you say "Stickied" :idea:
ROLL WAVE!
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

NOLABigSteve wrote:Great videos TPS! I only wish I could have witnessed that or any game in Tulane Stadium.

Good! I tried that at first but couldn't get it to work.
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

timlan2057 wrote:Thanks TPS.

Man, how great would it be, not only for Tulane, but for all of Louisiana, if Tulane-LSU was as competitive and intense a rivalry today as Auburn-Alabama?

Played the last game of the season ... a ton of buildup ... wow.
This is the exact reason why I decided to post this game. At that time the rivarly was second to none in the South. In fact neither LSU or Tulane has a rivarly game like that one today. I as well as many others, grew up on Tulane football even after the Saints were born. Our current administration has no idea what we once had. These videos point out all the closet Tulane fans that are out there just waiting for a quality product to support. After watching the game over and over, it really hit me how far we have fallen when it comes to leadership in this area. I was fortunate to grow up in those times and graduate Tulane in 1981 when winning was the norm. We gave Bennie Ellender a 10 year extension after that game and fired him two years later after he went 4-7...... Wow, now we extend coaches for going 4-7.....
Something is wrong here.... we definitely settle for mediocrity..
Tulane Class of 1981
cdozer
Ripple

Thank You TPS!!! May be the best Christmas gift I recieve this year!! Thanks again.
RWR
Swell

Tim- For as long as these forums have been around this has been the nicest and most uplifting thing that anyone has shared. Thanks again. Have a Merry Christmas.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

RWR wrote:Tim- For as long as these forums have been around this has been the nicest and most uplifting thing that anyone has shared. Thanks again. Have a Merry Christmas.
Thank You!
I know it brought back the best memories I ever had as a Tulane fan.
I'm glad others feel that same way! I find myself watching those clips everyday. It always stikes a big emotion inside.
It's my pleasure to be able to share this with everyone.
Tulane Class of 1981
HoustonWave
Tsunami

tpstulane wrote:
timlan2057 wrote:Thanks TPS.

Man, how great would it be, not only for Tulane, but for all of Louisiana, if Tulane-LSU was as competitive and intense a rivalry today as Auburn-Alabama?

Played the last game of the season ... a ton of buildup ... wow.
This is the exact reason why I decided to post this game. At that time the rivarly was second to none in the South. In fact neither LSU or Tulane has a rivarly game like that one today. I as well as many others, grew up on Tulane football even after the Saints were born. Our current administration has no idea what we once had. These videos point out all the closet Tulane fans that are out there just waiting for a quality product to support. After watching the game over and over, it really hit me how far we have fallen when it comes to leadership in this area. I was fortunate to grow up in those times and graduate Tulane in 1981 when winning was the norm. We gave Bennie Ellender a 10 year extension after that game and fired him two years later after he went 4-7...... Wow, now we extend coaches for going 4-7.....
Something is wrong here.... we definitely settle for mediocrity..
Exactly TPS. Cowen, and his regime, seem to have no interest in pursuing excellence-whether it's in athletics or academics. The Cowenistas only seem interested in their smoke and mirror games, so they can hang on to their positions. Cowen is constantly trying to "change the game", because he can't seem to compete at the game that is being played. But his buffoonery isn't working, as the rest of the world (e.g. TCU, Miami, Baylor, SMU etc.) moves on (athletically and academically) while Tulane continues to be stuck in the delusional world otherwise known as the "Tulane Model".
Tulane is the University of Louisiana
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

TPSTULANE.....thank you for these videos...my wife who is from Lubbock and a huge Texas Tech fan could feel the emotion in side the stadium that evening...she could tell I was getting emotional all over again.. I have several PIC's of TULANE stadium hanging in my office, I pointed to where I was sitting that night.. I wish the current administration and student body had an opportunity to fell that emotional high that comes from being competitive... maybe we can arrange for the entire game video to be played on campus, outside in the evening just for old times sake..ya never know, what has been, can be again.

Thanks again...now I am ready to go to the course and kik's some young golfers azz into birdie hell !!!!
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
RWR
Swell

That's a great idea golfnut. They could sit on what was the field at Tulane Stadium(there is an area of it that is still greenspace that is used for rec sports) and the film could be shown on the back of the parking lot wall. Hopefully TPS can arrange that.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

If they play it, I will come in from Austin...maybe on a Friday Nite, before Homecoming, have as many of the former players show up in their Jersey's..each can have an opportunity to say something to the crowd...replica tickets can be made and sold...Tulane misses out on so many marketing opportunities I wonder where the marketing team came from...Tulane and CUSA should schedule as many home games as possible when the Saints are on the road...partner with New Orleans chamber of commerce and the Tourist office for Resturant and Hotel packages for all out of town fans for group Discounts with a Ticket purchase (this is called cross marketing)...Schedule "Big Name" entertainment to begin after the game has ended..I remember the Beach Boy's played after one game during the Mack Brown era... Tulane has and must get the Local Business community involved, this includes all metro parish's
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

TURVS71 and TPSTULANE... if I remember correctly, Tulane did not have a Band ..St Aug hi school represented TULANE for that game and did one hell of a great halftime performance
RWR
Swell

That was LSU's band in the end zone which is why everyone loved it when one of our players threw some of the band members out of the way to celebrate w/Darwin Willie, or as my mother called him, Darlin Willie.
JDTulane
Riptide

I am jealous to those who have seen Tulane beat LSU for a full game. I was there for Tulane to be up at halftime and it was THE Tulane game of my life. Cannot wait for the next chance.
RWR
Swell

We were losing at halftime.
JDTulane
Riptide

I have pictures on my phone that say otherwise. We were up what... 9-7?
NOLABigSteve
Riptide

JDTulane wrote:I have pictures on my phone that say otherwise. We were up what... 9-7?
You're talking about the game in 2007 right? Yeah, LSU got in a field goal right before halftime to make the score 9-10 them. By far, the most exciting half of a Tulane/LSU football game I have witnessed.
Roll Wave!
JDTulane
Riptide

NOLABigSteve wrote:
JDTulane wrote:I have pictures on my phone that say otherwise. We were up what... 9-7?
You're talking about the game in 2007 right? Yeah, LSU got in a field goal right before halftime to make the score 9-10 them. By far, the most exciting half of a Tulane/LSU football game I have witnessed.
Yeah just looked it up in my phone. :x I guess denial was my saving grace. But I did find the photo of us winning haha. Good memory
RWR
Swell

It was fun for a half having all those a-holes shut up.
NOLABigSteve
Riptide

RWR wrote:It was fun for a half having all those a-holes shut up.
You're not kidding. The "oh shit" look on their face was priceless.
Roll Wave!
Tulane72
Ripple

My name is Dennis Delaney. In this game I was number 72 on the second team. We scored both touchdowns. In reality without the first team we probably wouldn't have scored. Because of the 2 offense system LSU couldn't get use to the different players. The second team scored almost 40% of the points while playing a third of the time. We were given 4 plays the first half and 4 the second half. If we had a good drive or scored we would play the next series. So the only time I only played 8 plays a game was Kentucky, Maryland and Houston. Ellender use this system in 1972 and 1973. In 1974 he didn't. I was surprized to see that there was an interest in this game or the 1973 team. We have never been honor yet the Liberty Bowl Team was honored twice. I not bitter but I wish they would have honored some of my teammates before they died. It's too late for Rusty Chambers, David Griener and Alan Baker but without them we wouldn't have won. Griener with a cast on his arm intercepted two pass. Rusty made some key tackle on Tulane's side of the field. Alan was next to me when we opened up the hole that Doug Bynum ran through. Of course on that play everyone on the line blocked their man. Cameron Gaston was on the other side. The guard on his left side was Doug Lawrence (we called him frogman because he didn't have an ass) but he cut off the backside linebacker. Terry Looney was at his best that season and a nice guy that season and Doug Bynum was the best back that Tulane had in years he could pick a hole. On the long run I was supposed to block Steve Cassidy inside but he got off the line so quick I had to take him out. No problems for Bynum he could find a hole and not run over his lineman like some others backs we had. We also didn't have him in that game because Ellender kick him off the team right before the Georgia Tech game. At the time we were 5-0 and Doug have run over 100 yards 4 games in a row. Anyway I'm glad somebody cared about that team
NOLABigSteve
Riptide

Dennis, welcome to the forum. Glad you joined! It's great to hear former players recount their days on the team. Even though I had limited playing time when I was on the team, those were some great days. I look forward to more of your posts.
Roll Wave!
RWR
Swell

Welcome aboard. By your post I would guess you don't live locally. I can assure you that fans who were alive then hold that team more dear than even the 1998 team. As for Tulane not giving recognition you have to consider the source. They could screw up a 2 car parade.
TURVS71
Swell

Welcome Dennis and thanks for joining the board. We do care about past teams and our history. That is why, speaking just for me, we are so passionate about truth and change. Please let your fellow team mates and friends know about this site. We want all to be able to share their thoughts and comments in an unedited and delete-free environment.

I was at that Georgia Tech Game in Atlanta. We were undefeated and ranked, I believe, correct me if I am wrong, Steve Foley broke his leg and we never won another game that year. Ellender was fired and we all know the rest of the story.

Thanks for your contribution to the team and it does not go unnoticed.
'Here's a song for the Olive and the Blue"