Great Video moments in Tulane Football History

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Just put these up on YouTube....

Highlights of Tulane's 14-0 win over LSU in Tulane Stadium 1973

Looney TD pass to Willie 7-0 Wave

David Griener's 1st INT

Doug Bynum's 53 yd run 14-0 Wave

Final minute and celebration 14-0 Wave wins..

Defensive Highlights:

Nathan Bell & Mark Olivari's big sack

Another Mark Olivari sack ..

Charlie Hall sack & Griener's 2nd INT..

Rusty Chambers & Nathan Bell tackle for losses

Mike Trapani & David Griener, LSU fumble not called on another Olivari sack...
Last edited by tpstulane on Sat Dec 18, 2010 8:38 pm, edited 7 times in total.

Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
JTLiuzza
Swell

Thanks, TPS. Those were great.
The second commandment has not been abrogated.
RWR
Swell

Thanks so much. I was there in the north end zone. There was cop who was being a pain. I said he must be an LSU fan. He flashed the inside of his police jacket and revealed a green power button. I still have my go to hell lsu button. Walking down the street screaming 14-ZIP, what's your excuse? was wonderful. A busload of their fans tried to call me over and I was smart enough to know they just wanted to try and pour drinks on me. Just laughed a them. I was there the year before in the north end zone and if only Foley had hit him in stride instead of on the hip we would have won in 1972. We got to play at home again b/c they had scheduled 8 home games in 1973 and figured it was no big deal to play here again. I knew then we would win. Great memories.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

This is what Tulane football was, and can be once again with the correct leadership in place. Many of those 86,000 plus were Tulane fans.....
That's what a Southern football rivalry is all about! I just hope our admin happens to see what can be.
Tulane Class of 1981
TURVS71
Swell

WOW, Thanks Tim. It brought tears to me as I was only married for 1 1/2 months. My wife and I were sitting in the South End Zone right where both TD's were scored. Little did I know that 26 years later I would be able to watch my son wear the Olive Green and Sky Blue. A dream come true.

The interest is there. The fan base can be resurrected. It is all up to the Administration. How many of those 86,000 fans actually went to TU. I'll be not many but that just goes to show you what can be done.

Shame on the Administration if they let THIS die!!
'Here's a song for the Olive and the Blue"
gbgreenie
Surge

Cowen and the rest of the Administration need to view these videos to see what impact this could mean to Tulane University and the Community. This is what an on campus stadium would mean. Many people walked many blocks to see this game. This was a total community involvement. 86,000+ and a vast majority was Tulane fans. I cried though this video because it was one of my greatest moments sharing with my deceased Dad. Let Cowen add up in today's dollar what a game like this would bring in for the university, on top of that add in the prestige. College Football is too big a money maker today to stay in the background. Cowen can't be that stupid if presented facts like these videos. Hell with the Universities Community Outreach Programs, this would help the community much more in pride. I sent the videos to Cowen in response to one of his emails to me about the Outreach Programs. Let's flood the adminstation with these videos to show them what they can do for the University and Community.
TURVS71
Swell

Just had to pull them out!

Last edited by TURVS71 on Sat Dec 18, 2010 4:39 pm, edited 3 times in total.
timlan2057
Ripple

Thanks TPS.

Man, how great would it be, not only for Tulane, but for all of Louisiana, if Tulane-LSU was as competitive and intense a rivalry today as Auburn-Alabama?

Played the last game of the season ... a ton of buildup ... wow.
LSUA Student, LSU Fan, , and Proud Tulane Band Parent
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

TURVS71 wrote:Just had to pull them out!

Awesome! I still have mine too!
Tulane Class of 1981
JTLiuzza
Swell

timlan2057 wrote:Thanks TPS.

Man, how great would it be, not only for Tulane, but for all of Louisiana, if Tulane-LSU was as competitive and intense a rivalry today as Auburn-Alabama?

Played the last game of the season ... a ton of buildup ... wow.
Yep. And thinking that this was after getting beat by the Tigers 24 years straight (de-emphasis, getting out of the sec, and all the other bonehead moves). And still there was great interest and a passion for the rivalry. It took a long time to ruin things.

How can we expect Cowen or his board to know anything about any of it or to care? He's not a local, never will be. How can we expect him to understand how important to a community and state a football rivalry can be in the south? He's not a southerner, never will be.

But I won't ruin a nice thread with another anti-Cowen rant.

Thanks again for posting, TPS.
RWR
Swell

This had nothing to do w/an on-campus stadium. Maybe .001% of those 86,000 walked to the stadium. A 25,000 seat stadium would mean we couldn't play this type of game again. The only way we can do it again is to add athlete friendly majors, pour money into the program, and build the IPF. Then we could play big-time winning football that would pack the Dome. Don't let the administration take your eye off the REAL PROBLEMS w/their smoke and mirror games.

Keep bringing the videos tps. Thanks again. Just great.
RWR
Swell

bag- Remember they did not beat us 24 straight times. There were some ties. It was 24 years w/out a win.
JTLiuzza
Swell

RWR wrote:bag- Remember they did not beat us 24 straight times. There were some ties. It was 24 years w/out a win.
Happily corrected on that point. I was just a tyke in '73 and can only imagine what that game was like for the TU faithful.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

WOW...what a night that was....the atmosphere was electric... I was dating a Flite Attendant from Atlanta whose families were Big Ga Tech Fans... she informed them she was going to teh Tulane - LSU game...they were all jealous as hell... I do not have the Ticlets nay longer, but I think I still have the game program with the great John Chase cartoon cover ..In fact i think I have about 25 of those prgrams from different games, inclusing the one agains Florida that feature Lindy Infante as a half back for the Gators
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Just added 5 more (defensive highlights)
Last edited by tpstulane on Sat Dec 18, 2010 7:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Tulane Class of 1981
Green Wave
Swell

Thank you TPS.

I was there at the 40 but sadly no longer have my ticket stubs. I think it was I I but its been almost 50 years. Two years in a row the Tulane Defense did not allow a touchdown to the Tigers. I was also there the year before in the end zone(the one with the steel upper deck) with my cousin and Uncle. The fans were pounding the steel deck so hard I thought it was going to come down when Foley pulled his cross field zig special to the one yard line and just short of victory and another heartbreaking last minute loss. Earlier that year Tulane had lost to Miami on the infamous 5th down play. Tulane was 9-3 in 1973. The Defense dominated except for the three losses. Maryland (two half back passes killed the wave), Kentucky (Sonny Collins Ran over us), and Houston (we got crushed by the veer offense) in the Astro Dome. But I will never forget the 1972 and 1973 Tulane LSU games. The crowd made noise on every play. After the 73 game, we made our way down to the ground level under the stands and I remember walking past all the booths void of all Tulane Items. No pennants, hats, or anything Tulane was left. A fan offered me $100 bucks for my Tulane hat i bought earlier that night. I turned him down.
ROLL WAVE!
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

My pleasure! I just hope the few young fans and our out-of-town administration we currently have are able to see what excitement Tulane football once provided.

That's it for now!
Roll Wave!
Tulane Class of 1981
TURVS71
Swell

Did any of you notice the size of the band we had back then? It was actually bigger than now.
I sure would like to see the current band expanded!
Last edited by TURVS71 on Sun Dec 19, 2010 9:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

TURVS71 wrote:Did any of you notice is nice size band we had back then. It was actually bigger than now.
I sure would like to see the current band expanded!
Yes I saw that. I was surprised at that also.
Tulane Class of 1981
Jaxwave
Swell

I too was in tears watching these especially the end of game video. At the 3:53 mark one of my fraternity brothers (in light sweater and plaid pants) and good friend Jeff Winchester (Jeff passed away about 5 years ago due to a brain tumor) was trying to get Coach Ellender on his shoulders and Benny refused to be picked up. At the 4:06 mark that is me on the left in the plaid coat rubbing Coach Ellender's bald pate and thanking him for this sweet victory. There are 4 or 5 other friends that appear throughout the video. this was undoubtedly the highlight of my sports fan life being a part of that night. There will never be another that will come close.

To watch the enthusiasm and effort of the team again on video was incredible. They were not to be denied. Especially after the year before. I ran on the field that night also when the pass was completed onlu\y to find out we were 1/2 yard short. Steve Foley could have stepped out at about the ten and we would have gotten more than one play off in 1972, but he cut back to try to score and was tackled at the 4. The clock didn't stop back then for a first down so we rushed the next play and his pass to the back was behind him otherwise we win in 72.
Jaxwave
Swell

I too was in tears watching these especially the end of game video. At the 3:53 mark one of my fraternity brothers (in light sweater and plaid pants) and good friend Jeff Winchester (Jeff passed away about 5 years ago due to a brain tumor) was trying to get Coach Ellender on his shoulders and Benny refused to be picked up. At the 4:06 mark that is me on the left in the plaid coat rubbing Coach Ellender's bald pate and thanking him for this sweet victory. There are 4 or 5 other friends that appear throughout the video. this was undoubtedly the highlight of my sports fan life being a part of that night. There will never be another that will come close.

To watch the enthusiasm and effort of the team again on video was incredible. They were not to be denied. Especially after the year before. I ran on the field that night also when the pass was completed onlu\y to find out we were 1/2 yard short. Steve Foley could have stepped out at about the ten and we would have gotten more than one play off in 1972, but he cut back to try to score and was tackled at the 4. The clock didn't stop back then for a first down so we rushed the next play and his pass to the back was behind him otherwise we win in 72.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Jaxwave wrote:.... this was undoubtedly the highlight of my sports fan life being a part of that night. There will never be another that will come close.
Same here.
Tulane Class of 1981
ExileWave
Surge

What a night that was! Thanks for the memories. :lol:
Charlie Hall, Mark O., Greiner- those guys had passion. If I remember right MArk Olivari played Patton's speech from the movie for the team the night before the game. Corny today, I'd guess. Todays' players should watch this every day during the off season.

Unfortunately today's coaches and admin look at the Rutgers game and "near wins" as historic milestones for the program. How far we have fallen since 1973. :cry:
gbgreenie
Surge

I wish Ripple would quit thinking the dome will be huge if Tulane wins. The decision is made the dome is dead as far as being a college facility. All over the country it has been proven over and over that an on campus stadium can't be beat for college football. Tulane could fit a 40,000 seat stadium on campus if it got creative. If not on campus the River Batture behind the zoo would be a great location for the city and Tulane University.
RWR
Swell

USC and UCLA and many others don't play on-campus and they have great atmospheres. It's the product that sucks not the dome. There is no getting creative. What's built isn't coming down. The number is 25,000 and that's it. No room for expansion. No room for parking or tailgating. As for other areas Tulane doesn't own it and can't buy it. The batture is the worst possible location as there is no way to get cars in and out w/out it being a total nightmare. Last but not least the number of people who think such a stadium is the magic bullet is dwindling as they realize it will stamp us as small time.