2014 starting QB

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
T1B2TW
High Tide

Who is it gonna be? I did not attend any spring practices so I have no first hand idea who might be at the helm on opening day. What's your take?
Last edited by T1B2TW on Wed Apr 30, 2014 9:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

golfnut69
Wild Pelican

T1B2TW wrote:Who is it gonna be? I did not attend any spring practices so I have no first hand idea who might be at the helm on opening day. What's your take?
I do not have a eligibility left. Sssoooo, I will say that Montana will start the season as number one, with Lee taking over by the 3rd or 4th game game
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
Eaglewave
Swell

T1B2TW wrote:Who is it gonna be? I did not attend any spring practices so I have no first hand idea who might be at the helm on opening day. What's your take?
Montana was not the same after Syracuse made Orange Juice out of him. Montana can makes plays with his arms and feet. However, I noticed Tanner Lee zipping the football to our WR's in the pre game warm ups against Tulsa and said, "damn, those pro-Lee guys on the board might have a damn good point!" Then I saw him at the spring game and one other occasion and noticed that this kid can sling the F'n ball. Powell doesn't get the respect he deserves for some really clutch throws and major plays he made last season. He seems to understand the offense much better.

After watching this team ride the defense's coat tail to a disappointing 7-6 record in what could have been an 11-1 season, I think it's time to start Tanner Lee. We need to see what he looks like under some college fire because he has shown that he can throw the ball to any receiver on the roster with no problems during practice.

I don't know about ya'll, but I really hate 2 QB systems and don't care to see a 3 man system as well. We need a starting QB who is going to score points! CJ needs to stop with his "Powell looked good, Montana looked good, Tanner looked good, Jordy looked great" bullsh_t. I want a true starter this year and want him pulled if he gets in and can't get the job done in game 1. This "training wheels" crap needs to end in 2014 for our coaching staff and players. The best players need to be on the field until were are blowing someone away. A stater needs to be named this summer. All position coaches or coordinators who are not producing need to F'n go! We need a winning FBS college football program. This is CJ's 3rd season with 3 classes under his belt. Tje 3rd year usually tells the story of were you are headed when you are building a program.
Ball Sumrall!
TU23
High Tide

It's definitely Lee's job to lose and I really don't think Montana is in the plans unless he improves dramatically over the summer.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

It will be Tanner Lee. I agree that CJ needs to name the starter at the most critical position on any football team and let it rip. Tanner hads good height lke Griffin which is an advantage when playing behind a line as bad as ours. His mechanics ar smooth. He has a rocket for an arm and can get it in tight spaces. He did that at the spring practice that ws open. We have good DB's that he was dong that agianst so it stood out. He's smart and has had a year to learn the offense. He also hit the weight room and added some muscle for the hits he's going to take. Griffin made those offense go when he was healthy. Lee has a better arm and is more mobile than Griffin so w/time he should perform well. Let's get the process started.
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
Eaglewave
Swell

TU23 wrote:It's definitely Lee's job to lose and I really don't think Montana is in the plans unless he improves dramatically over the summer.
I don't believe he is that far off. Montana put up some solid numbers before he got hurt. If the defense would had been awake in the first half against USA, Montana would have started out 2-0 as the starter. I won't count him out just yet. He and Powell had to deal with a garbage offensive line as well. I can't count Powell out yet as well. He has a very strong arm and is much more mobile than people think.

Please note that I am not at all please about what I saw from Powell and Montana overall. They had some underrated tools, but the point is they couldn't find ways to throw or run for a TD enough during the season. I do blame the awful play of the offensive line, but true play makers make plays.

I don't know how Tanner Lee will look when the heat is on, but he sure looked nice throwing that football in the spring game. He looks like he can get us in the endzone. That kid threw some nice passes this spring.

Ball Sumrall!
sader24
Tsunami

Lee will start, Powell might see some snaps, I think Montana is on the back burner for now. Lee is a Freshman so I would expect to see some growing pains so I'm sure the other guys will get some oppurtunities, but our best bet for a winning season is for Lee to take control of the starting job, his ceiling is considerably higher than the other two.
Jonathan
Riptide

Tanner Lee will start and play all games until he graduates and then moves into the NFL. Our other quarterbacks sadly are not close to him in ability including Montana.
JerseyWave
Riptide

I still believe that barring injury or poor play during summer camp, Nick Montana will be the Game 1 starter. He may not be the Game 1 finisher or Game 2 starter, but he will start at Tulsa. I wouldn't pay any attention to the post spring practice depth chart. Sometimes coaches can use it as motivation to some individuals that they need to step up their game.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

JerseyWave wrote:I still believe that barring injury or poor play during summer camp, Nick Montana will be the Game 1 starter. He may not be the Game 1 finisher or Game 2 starter, but he will start at Tulsa. I wouldn't pay any attention to the post spring practice depth chart. Sometimes coaches can use it as motivation to some individuals that they need to step up their game.
I'd be surprised if Montana starts. Lee's our best QB. There is no reason to start Montana other than if Lee gets hurt in fall practice and can't play.
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
C. Austin Cox
Trickle

I've been looking at Tulane more and more (and will continue to over the Summer of course), but what are the Pros and Cons for each QB in the Montana vs Lee battle? Obviously this thread (and site as a whole) is full of a lot of info that already answers some questions and that's been a big help for an "outsider" just getting to know the Green Wave. However, are any fans willing to post a smaller (more digestible) QB vs QB comparison or some idea of what to look for in tape of each one?
Would like to put some focus on this battle since it's such an important position.
No conference in college athletics has more potential than the American. It has more national championships in money sports than years in existence.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Montana has the intangibles as far as leadership and he has command of our complex playbook. He doesn't have a strong arm and he has a big wind up if you will so he has a slow release. That's a killer behind our poor line play.He does have a great feel for pressure and can make plays w/his feet. Lee has a great arm and can make all the throws. He's had a year to digest the playbook. He's not as mobile as Montana but he's not a stiff. Hope that helps.
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
Eaglewave
Swell

winwave wrote:Montana has the intangibles as far as leadership and he has command of our complex playbook. He doesn't have a strong arm and he has a big wind up if you will so he has a slow release. That's a killer behind our poor line play.He does have a great feel for pressure and can make plays w/his feet. Lee has a great arm and can make all the throws. He's had a year to digest the playbook. He's not as mobile as Montana but he's not a stiff. Hope that helps.
Your thoughts on Powell?
Last edited by Eaglewave on Fri May 02, 2014 11:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ball Sumrall!
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Eaglewave wrote:
winwave wrote:Montana has the intangibles as far as leadership and he has command of our complex playbook. He doesn't have a strong arm and he has a big wind up if you will so he has a slow release. That's a killer behind our poor line play.He does have a great feel for pressure and can make plays w/his feet. Lee has a great arm and can make all the throws. He's had a year to digest the playbook. He's not as mobile as Montana but he's not a stiff. Hope that helps.
Your thoughts on Powell? I
He only asked about Montana v. Lee. So that's what I kept it too.

Powell has a strong arm but had trouble w/accuracy on shorter routes. He got better about using his athleticism when pressure was coming as the season went on. He clearly has trouble w/the playbook. He has to run to the sideline to get the play and he generally throws to the first read. I appreciated his efforts in the ECU and Tulsa wins but the D carried us in those games. He threw better in the spring game. Nice to have as a back up w/experience.
Eaglewave
Swell

winwave wrote:
Eaglewave wrote:
Your thoughts on Powell? I
He only asked about Montana v. Lee. So that's what I kept it too.

Powell has a strong arm but had trouble w/accuracy on shorter routes. He got better about using his athleticism when pressure was coming as the season went on. He clearly has trouble w/the playbook. He has to run to the sideline to get the play and he generally throws to the first read. I appreciated his efforts in the ECU and Tulsa wins but the D carried us in those games. He threw better in the spring game. Nice to have as a back up w/experience.

I understood what he asked. I just wanted to hear your thoughts on Powell because I your Montana-Lee break down was interesting.

I think Montana would have shown us much better numbers if weren't for his injury. He put up some good numbers before the injury.

Powell has a nice release and the strongest arm on the team. I have watched Powell throw some bullets to receivers. I just don't like play calling when he is in the game. I didn't feel that they let him take enough shots down field when he was in the game. Powell usually makes something happen when he goes deep.

Tanner Lee looked like a starting FBS QB in the spring. I sure hope he keeps up the heat and hype.
Ball Sumrall!
greenie78
Riptide

To be fair, South Alabama had a terrible defense so that performance by Montana wasn't that impressive.
OGSB
Swell

greenie78 wrote:To be fair, South Alabama had a terrible defense so that performance by Montana wasn't that impressive.
They were 49th overall defensively so not "terrible". SOS may have something to do with that but still.
Livin' rent free
NOLABigSteve
Riptide

I truly believe Montana has achieved playing time on the collegiate level simply because of who his father is. He has no command of the offense, and is terrible in his counts, delivery, and accuracy.
Roll Wave!
Tulane University c/o 2003
Football Defensive End '99, '00, '01, '02
2002 Hawaii Bowl Champions
School of Engineering (Computer Science)
greenie78
Riptide

OGSB wrote:
greenie78 wrote:To be fair, South Alabama had a terrible defense so that performance by Montana wasn't that impressive.
They were 49th overall defensively so not "terrible". SOS may have something to do with that but still.
Alot of that was based on their last 3 games of the year when the unit as a whole stepped up, but before that the defense was awful including blowing many games late. They were one of the lowest defensive ratings unit in the country based on College Football Reference.
OGSB
Swell

greenie78 wrote:
OGSB wrote:
Alot of that was based on their last 3 games of the year when the unit as a whole stepped up, but before that the defense was awful including blowing many games late. They were one of the lowest defensive ratings unit in the country based on College Football Reference.
Ok, but if you don't count the Tulane game, they gave up an average of 28 ppg over the other 8 games. That includes 42 to Navy and 38 to Kent St. Tulane actually scored the 2nd highest number of points against them.

I'm not saying Montana's the guy, but he did do some good things before he was hurt.
Livin' rent free
Eaglewave
Swell

OGSB wrote:
greenie78 wrote:
OGSB wrote:
Ok, but if you don't count the Tulane game, they gave up an average of 28 ppg over the other 8 games. That includes 42 to Navy and 38 to Kent St. Tulane actually scored the 2nd highest number of points against them.

I'm not saying Montana's the guy, but he did do some good things before he was hurt.

I agree. People seem to forget just how horrible the offensive line was as well. I believe that Montana would have shown us more if he wasn't running for his life every play!
Last edited by Eaglewave on Sun May 04, 2014 11:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ball Sumrall!
greenphantom
Swell

I think Montana pre-injury showed he can be a decent QB, but he does have too many limitations to be an all-conference type. You never know. Everyone used to think Griffin was too limited and the light finally turned on his senior year.
Eaglewave
Swell

greenphantom wrote:I think Montana pre-injury showed he can be a decent QB, but he does have too many limitations to be an all-conference type. You never know. Everyone used to think Griffin was too limited and the light finally turned on his senior year.

Griffin was still too limited in my eyes. It's a damn shame that Powell and Monta haven't found the end zone enough to the point were fans believe Griffin was doing great things. If Griffin was that good, I am pretty sure his overall record would have been better. Hell, there was a time when many fans couldn't wait to he left.
Ball Sumrall!
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Griffin does not have a strong arm and was immobile. He is tall which is a nice natural advantage for scanning the field. He is accurate and he had great command of the playbook. He went through his progressions quickly and was decisive. The defense sucked and other than Cairo ST's did nothing while he was here. So we always acknowledged his weaknesses but he had enough strengths to make the Saints.
Eaglewave
Swell

winwave wrote:Griffin does not have a strong arm and was immobile. He is tall which is a nice natural advantage for scanning the field. He is accurate and he had great command of the playbook. He went through his progressions quickly and was decisive. The defense sucked and other than Cairo ST's did nothing while he was here. So we always acknowledged his weaknesses but he had enough strengths to make the Saints.
CJ had enough strengths for him to make the Saints.
Ball Sumrall!