2014 starting QB

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Eaglewave wrote:
winwave wrote:Griffin does not have a strong arm and was immobile. He is tall which is a nice natural advantage for scanning the field. He is accurate and he had great command of the playbook. He went through his progressions quickly and was decisive. The defense sucked and other than Cairo ST's did nothing while he was here. So we always acknowledged his weaknesses but he had enough strengths to make the Saints.
CJ had enough strengths for him to make the Saints.
That's just silly. The Saints aren't keeping anybody on their roster to please CJ. Payton's a winner and he wants to win Super Bowls. You're either good enough or not w/him. In fact when the Rams tried to take him from the Saints they put him on the active roster to keep him.

BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
jonathanjoseph
Green Wave

if Tanner Lee ISN'T taking the first snaps on opening day, we got problems this season.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

jonathanjoseph wrote:if Tanner Lee ISN'T taking the first snaps on opening day, we got problems this season.
+1000
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
mbawavefan12
Tsunami

tpstulane wrote:
jonathanjoseph wrote:if Tanner Lee ISN'T taking the first snaps on opening day, we got problems this season.
+1000

Montana was not that bad early on in the season, especially considering the OL play. Of course, he better have been very injured near the end because he was flat out brutal. The pick six still blows my mind.
Eaglewave
Swell

winwave wrote:
Eaglewave wrote:
winwave wrote:Griffin does not have a strong arm and was immobile. He is tall which is a nice natural advantage for scanning the field. He is accurate and he had great command of the playbook. He went through his progressions quickly and was decisive. The defense sucked and other than Cairo ST's did nothing while he was here. So we always acknowledged his weaknesses but he had enough strengths to make the Saints.
That's just silly. The Saints aren't keeping anybody on their roster to please CJ. Payton's a winner and he wants to win Super Bowls. You're either good enough or not w/him. In fact when the Rams tried to take him from the Saints they put him on the active roster to keep him.

So you really believe that Griffin would have been picked up by the Saints if Buffet Bob was still the head coach?
Ball Sumrall!
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Eaglewave wrote:
winwave wrote:
Eaglewave wrote:

So you really believe that Griffin would have been picked up by the Saints if Buffet Bob was still the head coach?
He got better coaching from this staff and operated the offense at a high level after returning from the injury. He absolutely did not make the Saints b/c of CJ's connections. As I said above the Rams had claimed him during the season which meant they would have had to put him on the active roster. The Saints valued him enough to elevate him to the active roster to keep him meaning they had to get rid of someone to clear that space. He earned it.
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
tnelly15
Riptide

winwave wrote:
Eaglewave wrote:
Yea, Payton isn't putting guys on the 53 man roster as a favor to anyone. Come on, eaglewave.
Eaglewave
Swell

There is nothing wrong with having a plug to get you on the Saints practice squad before being moved to the roster. If CJ wasn't our coach, Griffin would be playing for the Voodoo if not the CFL.
Ball Sumrall!
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Eaglewave wrote:There is nothing wrong with having a plug to get you on the Saints practice squad before being moved to the roster. If CJ wasn't our coach, Griffin would be playing for the Voodoo if not the CFL.
The Rams wanted him on their active roster. CJ didn't manage that. Montana was not terrible. He was a needed plug at a critical position where we had no experience returning. He was a good leader and played hurt. It was appreciated but he has obvious flaws which is why his offers after JC were not close to what he had originally out of HS. We need much more from that position to achieve our goals.
DrBox
Riptide

Eaglewave wrote: If CJ wasn't our coach, Griffin would be playing for the Voodoo if not the CFL.
Nonsense.
Eaglewave
Swell

OMG!!!

I sure hope Lee is who many people say he is because Montana and Powell have people talking as if Griffin was a Patrick Ramsey of Shaun King. What was Griffin's record as a starter again?
Ball Sumrall!
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Ramsey's record wasn't that good and King certainly didn't start out good. RR/Neu better than Teevens/Toledo. Coaching matters.
sader24
Tsunami

Griffin would've found His way on to someone's practice roster somewhere. Do I think he ended up on the Saints bc of CJ? Yes. I think that's pretty obvious if you read anything that was said or written all of the parties involved. If Griffin would've been blessed with good coaching, an OLine, a defense, etc his record would've been much better. I think we can all agree that a Griffin led offense last year results in a 9-3 record at worst and more likely a 10-2 or 11-1 record.
Eaglewave
Swell

sader24 wrote:Griffin would've found His way on to someone's practice roster somewhere. Do I think he ended up on the Saints bc of CJ? Yes. I think that's pretty obvious if you read anything that was said or written all of the parties involved. If Griffin would've been blessed with good coaching, an OLine, a defense, etc his record would've been much better. I think we can all agree that a Griffin led offense last year results in a 9-3 record at worst and more likely a 10-2 or 11-1 record.
I can agree with that. Hell, I picked us to go 11-1 anyway.
Ball Sumrall!
Wave QB
Swell

Eaglewave wrote:There is nothing wrong with having a plug to get you on the Saints practice squad before being moved to the roster. If CJ wasn't our coach, Griffin would be playing for the Voodoo if not the CFL.
Eagle, u have been on some serious stuff this year. Griffin had good skills behind a weak offensive line. Did he have flaws? Yes, but he is a guy who can get you down field. I wish he had one more year at Tulane because he would have blown away the competition last season.
Eaglewave
Swell

Wave QB wrote:
Eagle, u have been on some serious stuff this year. Griffin had good skills behind a weak offensive line. Did he have flaws? Yes, but he is a guy who can get you down field. I wish he had one more year at Tulane because he would have blown away the competition last season.

I have been drinking a drink call "Non-denial". Griffin had some tools, but ya' ll need to stop talking like he was the Shaun King, JP Losman, Patrick Ramsey or even Roch Hontas of this era.

Wave QB,

I sure hope you aren't being a bit salty with me because I have been giving Tanner Lee his props at getting stronger/bigger/better because of a much needed redshirt. You and I were both high on Powell and the Montana pick up. However, those guys aren't getting us in the endzone enough. Tanner Lee has shown me that he can toss some sweet passes in traffic and doesn't keep his eyes on one WR. I want to see him in action! We need a QB who can get us TD's. I know Montana is your boy and has proven that he is a warrior, but the kid looked bad after his injury and hadn't looked good since the USA game. Powell continues to show flashes of a playmaker, but we don't need a NFL Tim Tebow who is going to score a TD in the fourth QB or OT all the time. We need a consistent QB. Maybe Tanner is now ready to rumble. Don't hate on me recognizing that it might be Tanner Time.
Ball Sumrall!
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

Eagle, CJ may have been asked about Griff, and maybe that helped Griff get an invite to training camp, but it DID NOT get him on the practice squad. His play in the preseason won that job for him. That same body of work had one or two teams getting ready to sign Griff off the practice squad, which is why he was moved to the 53 man roster for the last 6 games of the season.

I guess you didn't follow the story last summer at all?
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
Wave QB
Swell

DfromCT wrote:
Eagle, CJ may have been asked about Griff, and maybe that helped Griff get an invite to training camp, but it DID NOT get him on the practice squad. His play in the preseason won that job for him. That same body of work had one or two teams getting ready to sign Griff off the practice squad, which is why he was moved to the 53 man roster for the last 6 games of the season.

I guess you didn't follow the story last summer at all?
Griffin was a solid QB. I think he will end up seeing more play time somewhere else.
OGSB
Swell

Eaglewave wrote: What was Griffin's record as a starter again?
I looked at the numbers in 2012 starting with SMU, which is when he came back from injury. We went 2-5 down that stretch, mostly because we scored 30 ppg., but gave up 35+ ppg.
Livin' rent free
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Wave QB wrote:
Griffin was a solid QB. I think he will end up seeing more play time somewhere else.
+1
I went to the two UAB game's in which Ryan looked spectacular. He hurt his shoulder early in his Sr year (Tulsa) and missed three games. He was the MVP in the Texas vs The Nation All-Star Game going 14-of-18 passes for 214 yards and a 2 touchdowns in a 24-13 win over Team Texas. He has showed continued progress over his entire career. He could really play right now in the NFL with the right team. Brees will be around for at least 4-5 more years IMO.
Tulane Class of 1981
TU23
High Tide

I was one of Griffin's biggest critics going into his senior season and I can say without a doubt that we would've won 10 games with him at QB last year. He matured a lot his last year under Mike Neu. He got the ball out quickly and spread it around well despite a bad o-line and no running game. Look at all of the winnable games that we lost last year because our offense didn't come to play: FAU, UTSA, ULL, and Rice. If our offense was just competent in some of those games, we'd have won.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Tulane Class of 1981
wavefan03
Surge

A freshmen as a starter with new guys at the skill positions is shaky at best.

Offensive troubles last year weren't all on Montana's shoulders. He starts.
Eaglewave
Swell

wavefan03 wrote:A freshmen as a starter with new guys at the skill positions is shaky at best.

Offensive troubles last year weren't all on Montana's shoulders. He starts.

I agree that the troubles weren't all on Montana. The offensive line played horrible! Even Jackson State's defensive line put way too much heat on Montana. Let's not even talk about the brutal beating he took from the Orange that really destroyed his shoulder for the rest of the season. That kid has the heart of a champion. He took that horrific beating and continued to get up and play for us. That offensive line was horrible!

In 2014, it seems that Tanner Lee is winning the job. If this kid is going to get us in the end zone often, then we need him to start now! Last season, the schedule was weak enough to experiment with two QB's. We still could have won 10 games last season with what we had. Hell, I picked us to win 11. In the AAC, we need a QB!

All of this "Nick looked good, Powell played well, Jordy looked great" bullsh_t that CJ feeds the media after every interview needs to be flushed down the toilet! We need to hear about what our starting QB is looking like weekly and if he is ready to play Saturday! We need to know if our back up man is ready to roll in week one.
Ball Sumrall!
nawlinspete
Riptide

Has to be Nick Montana. He won five games under this abysmal staff's coaching. Lee and Powell do not have it at the FBS level.
President Fitts , B of A , it's put up or forever hold your peace time . Make Tulane ATHLETICS relevant and top 30 again .