Rice series

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
tnelly15
Riptide

There are no moral victories, but that was a really good pitching effort by Mapes you'd have to be stupid to think otherwise. Not his fault the other guys didnt do their jobs.

chigoyboy
Ripple

So throwing a CG, 6 hitter against a top 25 team but gets the lose qualifies that as poor pitching then i need to rethink everything i know about baseball. He pitched a really good game but, when you have the hitting that we have, i don't think Aaron Nola would won many more games than the guys pitching right now.
2ndGenWave
High Tide

Today was an excellent pitching performance. Gutsy in the ninth with the defense disintegrating behind him. You are crazy if you think otherwise.

Poor base running and fielding cost us this game. Doubled off of second in the seventh. Terrible fielding in the eighth and ninth along with continual poor defense behind the plate.

Also, the umpiring this series has been absolutely abysmal. They are not only making terrible calls, but nine out of ten of them seem to go against Tulane. Gatreau really needed to go out and get tossed after one of the many terrible calls late in either of these games.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

2ndGenWave wrote:Today was an excellent pitching performance. Gutsy in the ninth with the defense disintegrating behind him. You are crazy if you think otherwise.

Poor base running and fielding cost us this game. Doubled off of second in the seventh. Terrible fielding in the eighth and ninth along with continual poor defense behind the plate.

Also, the umpiring this series has been absolutely abysmal. They are not only making terrible calls, but nine out of ten of them seem to go against Tulane. Gatreau really needed to go out and get tossed after one of the many terrible calls late in either of these games.
+1
Really bizarre almost criminal umping in this series. I've never seen such bozo calls. The best today was the wild pitch from the damn bullpen that should be moved because every F'g game a ball gets tossed wildly into the field of play. Today Rice throws a wild one that goes all the way down past home plate. The pitch was already made a was called a ball. Meanwhile the first base ump stops play and decides to have a pitch do-over. What would have happened if we hit a HR?
Then constant blown calls today at first base. I'd bet anything RJ would have been tossed today. Gaut should have bitched until he was tossed. With 3 errors and you will not beat a team like Rice. Speaking to some Rice fans they said since we are leaving CUSA we are going to get hosed the rest of the year by conference umps.
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
Wave755
Tsunami

Unless we make the CUSA tournament (top 8 teams) tomorrow may be the last time we play Rice in any sport for many years to come. UH will never allow Rice to join the AAC nor does the AAC want more than one team per TV market.

I was really hoping to win this series, the team is playing tough, let's hope we get it done for winning our last game against Rice for tomorrow.
rollinggreen
High Tide

They will get swept. No Doubt.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

tpstulane wrote:
2ndGenWave wrote:Today was an excellent pitching performance. Gutsy in the ninth with the defense disintegrating behind him. You are crazy if you think otherwise.

+1
Really bizarre almost criminal umping in this series. I've never seen such bozo calls. The best today was the wild pitch from the damn bullpen that should be moved because every F'g game a ball gets tossed wildly into the field of play. Today Rice throws a wild one that goes all the way down past home plate. The pitch was already made a was called a ball. Meanwhile the first base ump stops play and decides to have a pitch do-over. What would have happened if we hit a HR?
Then constant blown calls today at first base. I'd bet anything RJ would have been tossed today. Gaut should have bitched until he was tossed. With 3 errors and you will not beat a team like Rice. Speaking to some Rice fans they said since we are leaving CUSA we are going to get hosed the rest of the year by conference umps.
Terrible umpiring or officiating.. look no further than the NCAA itself as the blame. The NCAA has zero controls for standards set, as these men and women are considered "independent contractors" and may apply to any and all conferences to officiate games. The larger, more powerful conferences get the pick of the litter simply because of their prestige but even they have a few that should not be officiating the JC's. The officials pass a standardize written test or scouted by conferences when they work high school, Div 2 or JC games and then put on an approved list of officials on a conference by conference decision after they apply and are review. Basketball is the worse, here you have 55 year old men working 5 to 6 games a week when the 19 year old player only plays twice maybe at most three times a week with no where near the travel as the official.. and memo to the Ref's, get a pair of pants with the correct waistband size !!!!
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Here's the problem. Going into today's game in the last 26 games we've played we are 8-18 and hitting .202
First inning today we have 5 hits and scored 5 runs.
Tulane Class of 1981
Jonathan
Riptide

Let us defeat Rice today. I do not want to be swept by them. I was wrong on our pitcher yesterday. Mapes. He did an outstanding job. But with a team that cannot hit the ball since 2008 and errors and more errors we cannot win. Hopefully today we will for a moral booster. Go Wave. PS: On the umpire issue, the ones that we are complaining about are local New Orleans area umpires. You would think if a difficult call they would go with Tulane. Is there a national training program and annual required courses for these NCAA baseball umpires to keep their certification? We were up 5-1 in the third, now 11-7 Rice leading bottom of the 9th. Only good news no errors today. Mid week game Tuesday against the Southland's Mc Neese at home. We are now in 11th place in CUSA. Final score sweep Rice 11 TU.7. We are now 14-20 overall. J.P. France looked awful today. We are 6-11 in conference play. This week end Kaplan went 1-11 at the plate.
Last edited by Jonathan on Sun Apr 13, 2014 4:36 pm, edited 10 times in total.
Wave755
Tsunami

Jonathan wrote:Let us defeat Rice today. I do not want to be swept by them. I was wrong on our pitcher yesterday. Mapes. He did an outstanding job. But with a team that cannot hit the ball since 2008 and errors and more errors we cannot win. Hopefully today we will for a moral booster. Go Wave. PS: On the umpire issue, the ones that we are complaining about are local New Orleans area umpires. You would think if a difficult call they would go with Tulane. Is there a national training program and annual required courses for these NCAA baseball umpires to keep their certification?
For those of you who can't get 88.3, 9 to 5 Rice after 4 full innings, Tulane 5 runs in 1st, Rice 9 runs in 3rd.
JDTulane
Riptide

11-7 Rice
Wave755
Tsunami

Rice 11 runs, 18 hits, no errors; Wave 7 runs, 10 runs, no errors - and yes, CUSA umps blow!
Last edited by Wave755 on Mon Apr 14, 2014 11:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
rollinggreen
High Tide

Way to blow it Wave! Nice to see you found another way to lose. What a JOKE!
JDTulane
Riptide

They had 9 straight scores.
Jonathan
Riptide

Curious. What has been the attendance at Tulane baseball games at Turchin each year per game average since 2008 and particularly this year. Are the Tulane baseball official attendance numbers correct unlike the phony gross numbers reported in the Superdome. Why does anyone want to come out each week and see us dismembered? Do they have anything better to do?
tnelly15
Riptide

Jonathan wrote:Let us defeat Rice today. I do not want to be swept by them. I was wrong on our pitcher yesterday. Mapes. He did an outstanding job. But with a team that cannot hit the ball since 2008 and errors and more errors we cannot win. Hopefully today we will for a moral booster. Go Wave. PS: On the umpire issue, the ones that we are complaining about are local New Orleans area umpires. You would think if a difficult call they would go with Tulane. Is there a national training program and annual required courses for these NCAA baseball umpires to keep their certification? We were up 5-1 in the third, now 11-7 Rice leading bottom of the 9th. Only good news no errors today. Mid week game Tuesday against the Southland's Mc Neese at home. We are now in 11th place in CUSA. Final score sweep Rice 11 TU.7. We are now 14-20 overall. J.P. France looked awful today. We are 6-11 in conference play.
No, the umpires are not local, you're wrong again.
Jonathan
Riptide

Why are they not local? Tell me why that I am wrong and why I was wrong about before to be wrong again. Give me facts I.e. The name of the umpires that officiated this weekend Rice series and what cities or if in the metro New Orleans area they are from. No opinions just facts! Thanks!
tnelly15
Riptide

Jonathan wrote:Why are they not local? Tell me why that I am wrong and why I was wrong about before to be wrong again. Give me facts I.e. The name of the umpires that officiated this weekend Rice series and what cities or if in the metro New Orleans area they are from. No opinions just facts! Thanks!
They are not local because, just like we wouldn't want to go to Rice and get screwed by some local Houston area umpires, Rice doesn't want to travel here and get screwed by Umpires from this area. I couldn't tell you where the umpires this weekend were from. I can tell you last weekend, we didn't play game 1 at it's originally scheduled time because the umpires flight got delayed. We asked UTSA if they would be ok with using some local umpires, they said no. Conference USA sends umpires to all conference series, we don't just get to pick local guys.

Eta: how about you show me the facts that say they ARE local
sader24
Tsunami

I've been under the impression for quite some time that college baseball umpires are often local college certified umpires. I know that's how it used to be I believe. I don't think CUSA assigns umpires to travel from series to series or for midweek games. Could be wrong but that's the way I was told it was.
Wave755
Tsunami

We lost the Rice football game for a holding call against Sean Donnelly on a beautiful half back pass for a touchdown, at the time I was mad at Donnelly. After seeing the CUSA umps at work today, Rice's 10th man on the baseball field, I now can't help but wonder about the fairness of the holding call on Donnelly for the football game, I went to the game but the Rice stadium television was very difficult to see for the replay; maybe CUSA has been screwing us all year long in every sport? And, please forgive me if I sound paranoid but some of the strikes called today against our batters could not possibly have been made in good faith!
Last edited by Wave755 on Sun Apr 13, 2014 10:31 pm, edited 3 times in total.
tnelly15
Riptide

sader24 wrote:I've been under the impression for quite some time that college baseball umpires are often local college certified umpires. I know that's how it used to be I believe. I don't think CUSA assigns umpires to travel from series to series or for midweek games. Could be wrong but that's the way I was told it was.
Midweek games and non-conference weekend series are probably local guys.

I'm pretty sure you'll find the guys who did this weekend series didn't do any of our non-conference games in La and have done CUSA games all over the conference, not just locally.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

nelly is right. Mid-week and OOC are local umps and conference games are assigned by the league and are not local.
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
tnelly15
Riptide

Believe it yet Jonathan?
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

For conference games we get conference umps. For home non conference games we get home non conference umps. The umps calling (not officiating) this weekend games were assigned to us by CUSA. For Tuesdays game vs McNeese we'll get some local guys like Miller, Gregson, or Graham.
An we don't have officials in baseball. They are called umpires. We have officials in basketball and football.
Tulane Class of 1981