Windy's List of Leading replacements

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.

Which of these coaches do you like to replace Conroy

Jeff Boals, OSU Assistant
No votes
Greg Gard, Wisconsin Assistant
10%
LaVall Jordan, Michigan Assistant
No votes
Mike White, Head Coach La Tech
59%
Jim Fox, Assistant Davisdon
No votes
Saul Phillips, Head Coach ND State
3%
Rob Moxley, Assistant NC State
No votes
Other, Please List
28%

Total votes: 29
windywave
Low Tide

This was deleted from somewhere else so I thought I would at least share my thoughts on it here. Since there are 10 options I am going to add a few more than I had somewhere else.

windywave
Low Tide

My choice is Gard from Wisconsin if anyone cares.
JDTulane
Riptide

Good pedigree but could he recruit well down south away from Wisco? Don't know enough on that front.
windywave
Low Tide

JDTulane wrote:Good pedigree but could he recruit well down south away from Wisco? Don't know enough on that front.
He recruits nationally and lets be honest it can't be worse than what we have now. Besides, assistants can help down South if it really came to that.
JDTulane
Riptide

Saul's teams seem to be very cyclical with highs n lows. I wonder what the cause is. I can't think its just freshman rising to senior and rebooting... drop off seems to far for that.
windywave
Low Tide

JDTulane wrote:Saul's teams seem to be very cyclical with highs n lows. I wonder what the cause is. I can't think its just freshman rising to senior and rebooting... drop off seems to far for that.
Would you want to go to Fargo? I think he probably has problems getting consistent recruits there
jonathanjoseph
Green Wave

I like what White did this year and Tulane needs to be doing anything it can to "push back" against the progress of LaTech and ULL. Those schools have credible leadership and are taking advantage of Tulane's weakness, so stealing a coach from LaTech would be a double win.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

At this point I'd go w/ Ron Everhart. If he had been hired when Perry left this mess wouldn't exist. I think he could get the job done and like CJ he would stay as it is the job he always wanted. I do like White and would be glad to get him but unfortunately by the time we get around to hiring someone he'll be gone.
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
dpm wave
Swell

Apparently Larry Brown at 73 and Steve Fisher at 68 aren't too old to have winning programs. But if I bring up Kevin Mackey, 67, I'll get ridiculed. Especially when the guy looks 10 years younger than the other 2.
Oh, I forgot, Coach K is also 67. And Boeheim is 69.
Wavetrader
Low Tide

Glad windy posted the poll here! White is the safe pick, but it would be interesting to see if we could lure up and comer Brad Underwood here. Great pedigree, but is probably looking for head coaching job at K State in the intermediate to longer term. He could help us in the near term.
"There is winning and there is misery". BP
billow
High Tide

Haven't seen his named mentioned but my vote goes to a New Orleans guy with name recognition is Avery Johnson.
windywave
Low Tide

If the rumors of Shaka going to Marquette are true, that's good news for us because that means Gard is still in play. I know I know we need to fire Conroy first, but I believe in long term planning.
mbawavefan12
Tsunami

I like White first. Understanding Tulane and this area, is very important IMO. As mentioned elsewhere, I can't see RD swallowing his pride and hiring the son of a former AD, sad.

I would like to add big Al Skinner to the list. The guy does more with less and we have seen how tough the BC job is after his replacement tanked despite a solid pedigree.
Fred Dowler
Riptide

mbawavefan12 wrote:I like White first. Understanding Tulane and this area, is very important IMO. As mentioned elsewhere, I can't see RD swallowing his pride and hiring the son of a former AD, sad.

I would like to add big Al Skinner to the list. The guy does more with less and we have seen how tough the BC job is after his replacement tanked despite a solid pedigree.
Agree about Rick Dickson probably not wanting to bring in the son of a former athletics director.
Tulane sports: small football stadium, very small basketball arena, w̶i̶n̶n̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶p̶r̶o̶g̶r̶a̶m̶s̶, h̶o̶n̶e̶s̶t̶y̶ ̶a̶n̶d̶ ̶a̶c̶c̶o̶u̶n̶t̶a̶b̶i̶l̶i̶t̶y̶ , but, hey, now there's tailgating.
beantownwave
Ripple

mbawavefan12 wrote:I like White first. Understanding Tulane and this area, is very important IMO. As mentioned elsewhere, I can't see RD swallowing his pride and hiring the son of a former AD, sad.

My vote is for Al Skinner as well, brought him up midseason and it was deleted from the other forum. Has proven track record and runs a system(flex offense) that allows lesser talented teams to compete with the big boys. Also a proven track record of finding under recruited players(Troy Bell, Jared Dudley, Craig Smith, Reggie Jackson etc.)
mbawavefan12
Tsunami

beantownwave wrote:

My vote is for Al Skinner as well, brought him up midseason and it was deleted from the other forum. Has proven track record and runs a system(flex offense) that allows lesser talented teams to compete with the big boys. Also a proven track record of finding under recruited players(Troy Bell, Jared Dudley, Craig Smith, Reggie Jackson etc.)
Don't forget "the stack" as well.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

My vote is for Seth Greenberg. I think he's proven he can get it done at high levels, taking VaTech to the dance out of the ACC, beating Duke, etc. He's a bit abrasive for Cowen's taste, so I doubt he'd get a shot until after July 1st. Kevin White would get serious consideration if I were making the decision. So would Bobby Hurley.
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
mbawavefan12
Tsunami

DfromCT wrote:My vote is for Seth Greenberg. I think he's proven he can get it done at high levels, taking VaTech to the dance out of the ACC, beating Duke, etc. He's a bit abrasive for Cowen's taste, so I doubt he'd get a shot until after July 1st. Kevin White would get serious consideration if I were making the decision. So would Bobby Hurley.
My issue with some former coaches is the fact that they may not agree to the significant pay cut they would have to take at TU. Bobby Hurley would certainly put some butts in the seats at Devlin.
Fred Dowler
Riptide

DfromCT wrote:My vote is for Seth Greenberg. I think he's proven he can get it done at high levels, taking VaTech to the dance out of the ACC, beating Duke, etc. He's a bit abrasive for Cowen's taste, so I doubt he'd get a shot until after July 1st. Kevin White would get serious consideration if I were making the decision. So would Bobby Hurley.
Going to bring Kevin White back from Notre Dame? Go for it. ;)
Tulane sports: small football stadium, very small basketball arena, w̶i̶n̶n̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶p̶r̶o̶g̶r̶a̶m̶s̶, h̶o̶n̶e̶s̶t̶y̶ ̶a̶n̶d̶ ̶a̶c̶c̶o̶u̶n̶t̶a̶b̶i̶l̶i̶t̶y̶ , but, hey, now there's tailgating.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

Fred Dowler wrote:
Going to bring Kevin White back from Notre Dame? Go for it. ;)
OOPS! Mike White, Kevin White, my bad! I don't know that Kevin coached basketball, but he's sure done himself proud at ND. His "AD Tree" is impressive as well. So is the family tree.
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
jonathanjoseph
Green Wave

mbawavefan12 wrote:
My issue with some former coaches is the fact that they may not agree to the significant pay cut they would have to take at TU. Bobby Hurley would certainly put some butts in the seats at Devlin.
So we don't have a competitive budget? To go along with cheap/small facilities? Good to know that it's official now that "The Playbook" was all just a bunch of lies. But hey, it worked, as so many Tulane fans got on board.
LSU Law Greenie
Surge

I voted for Joe Pasternak at Arizona.
My name is T J Acosta and I approve this message!
windywave
Low Tide

mbawavefan12 wrote:
That's why I like the assistant route, as long as they were in a program that recruited well.
Bigschtick
Riptide

Great to have Windy over here!
Speak softly but carry a bigschtick! In Sumrall We Trust!
windywave
Low Tide

Bigschtick wrote:Great to have Windy over here!
Do a lot of you read over there and not post or just welcoming to a very excitable guy from Chicago?