Fire Ed Conroy!

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
Profoundwizard
Swell

If it was nothing they could run with, then its probably just a rumor. And Kushner would have probably said that he'd heard some crazy rumors surrounding it. I don't recall that.

What about Stark, he being shopped as well?

jonathanjoseph
Green Wave

cubs23n17 wrote:
Profoundwizard wrote:It makes no sense because it's bullsh*t.
Did Tarrant and Davis get preyed on by the AAU circuit after they played at Tulane or did we pay them to come here?

I don't know the AAU coach that was shopping them, It's not as if Tulane/Booster couldn't pay 25k but wouldn't obviously. What doesn't make sense? Coach's brother went to UW Platteville to play for Ryan one year then coached under him at Wisconsin. He currently coaches at UW Milwaukee. All I'm trying to say is people want to blame transfers on one thing or another just know that even at Tulane this stuff can happen. If it's 25k for the second leading scorer on a bottom half SEC team what do you think Iowa State is dolling out? Also doesn't it seem like Ricky is probably repeating his behavior?
Why is it obvious that Tulane wouldn't pay $25K to keep it's best players but will spend $60K plus the cost of a camel for some other dog and pony show? All I know is that it is apparently the cost of doing business and Tulane continues to refuse to spend the amount required to stay in business and yet stays in business, so no one should be surprised when the results are what they are.
cubs23n17
Ripple

Profoundwizard wrote:If it was nothing they could run with, then its probably just a rumor. And Kushner would have probably said that he'd heard some crazy rumors surrounding it. I don't recall that.

What about Stark, he being shopped as well?

no clue, hope not. I would like to believe he is leaving for mutually beneficial reasons.

Their not gonna run with anything that wasn't said from the staff, but I was only guessing he heard it. All I can offer it as is Rumor, I didn't see it or wasn't involved.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

Green Wave wrote:
Jonathan wrote:Conroy should have been fired when at arrant and the other great players left the program. He cannot recruit four or five star players.
LOL!

Dude you need more perspective! Conroy has the best recruiting class in 15 or more years!

ROLL WAVE!
And where does it fall with regards to our PEERS? Yes, the other schools in our conference? Last I checked it wasn't any higher than where we finished in the little better than mediocre conference. That, IMHO, is the only perspective that matters. Dancing in the streets over recruits that have yet to play a game, and are not considered better than most of the rest of conference, is like celebrating not finishing last.

Those of us that measure success by wins and losses are tired of losing. And wins against the blind, crippled and decrepit teams in the pre-conference schedule do NOTHING for us.
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

cubs23n17 wrote:The Tarrant deal seems plain and simple tampering, Alabama realized they missed out letting him go and the DAD/coach offered him up as willing to come back. I would hope Dr. Box has it right that this years team will have been pursued and choose Tulane. With Davis I don't know the story other than the "shopping" heads up from Miller. The whole thing is a little sad in my opinion that it reaches everywhere. Pure speculation on Tarrant now and I wish I had a bunch of facts but at the end of the day I'm just a nobody.
And at the end of the day the whole thing is heresay, connecting dots that probably have no connections. Davis had the option, as a graduate, of going wherever he wanted and not sitting out a year. He chose a much stronger program, much better and well respected coach. Tarrant is transferring after he's graduated, and has a chance to play without sitting out as well.

Does the "shopping" happen? Of course. But we have no proof that is why they left the program. Besides, if all was going well within the program, you'd see very little transfers of impact players. Short of leaving for the NBA, how often does Duke, UNC, Kansas, Kentucky, and the other consistently winning programs lose impact players to transfer? Almost never.

Something stinks in the program, and after 5 years with no meaningful accomplishments, methinks it's the coach.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

jonathanjoseph wrote:
cubs23n17 wrote:
Profoundwizard wrote:It makes no sense because it's bullsh*t.
Did Tarrant and Davis get preyed on by the AAU circuit after they played at Tulane or did we pay them to come here?

I don't know the AAU coach that was shopping them, It's not as if Tulane/Booster couldn't pay 25k but wouldn't obviously. What doesn't make sense? Coach's brother went to UW Platteville to play for Ryan one year then coached under him at Wisconsin. He currently coaches at UW Milwaukee. All I'm trying to say is people want to blame transfers on one thing or another just know that even at Tulane this stuff can happen. If it's 25k for the second leading scorer on a bottom half SEC team what do you think Iowa State is dolling out? Also doesn't it seem like Ricky is probably repeating his behavior?
Why is it obvious that Tulane wouldn't pay $25K to keep it's best players but will spend $60K plus the cost of a camel for some other dog and pony show? All I know is that it is apparently the cost of doing business and Tulane continues to refuse to spend the amount required to stay in business and yet stays in business, so no one should be surprised when the results are what they are.
Yet they charge it's head football coach for a parking spot and tell him a microwave is a university item and not in his football budget.
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
mbawavefan12
Tsunami

I wonder if scotty boy and even RD pay for their parking spot?
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

mbawavefan12 wrote:I wonder if scotty boy and even RD pay for their parking spot?
Scotty didn't need one. He walked to campus from his school provided mansion on Audubon Place.
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
Jonathan
Riptide

Is Tulane still paying Scottie nearly a million dollars a year since he retired contributing to our 20m annual deficit at Tulane along with Dickson giving CJ over a million dollars a year for three wins. Is the Tulane board crazy?
mbawavefan12
Tsunami

tpstulane wrote:
mbawavefan12 wrote:I wonder if scotty boy and even RD pay for their parking spot?
Scotty didn't need one. He walked to campus from his school provided mansion on Audubon Place.
Tmk, he spent most of his time living in a downtown condo
msdos
Swell

mbawavefan12 wrote:
tpstulane wrote:

That's...worse
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

msdos wrote:
mbawavefan12 wrote:
tpstulane wrote:

That's...worse
From what I've read, after a very pricey renovation of the old Zemurray mansion, the Cowen's lived on the second and third floors. Yes, they have the condo downtown, but I remember reading an article where Margie Cowen discussed part of the renovation including new walls to hide the stairwell up to the family's living areas. This was back a few years, so it may have changed, but she was specific about hosting as many as 4 functions a week in the house. And she said that many times visitors wouldn't think twice (despite velvet ropes and/or other deterrents) about going upstairs to check out the living areas.

I wish Tulane would end any affiliation with Scott Cowen, and stop paying him. I'm sorry, but his press clippings give a whole lot more substance than his meaningful achievements and failures warrant.

This is a serious thread drift. To bring it back, I'll comment that without Cowen's Tulane Model, which doesn't "measure success by wins and losses" Ed Conroy would be gone by now. There are few, if any, other Universities that play D1 basketball that would keep him at the helm with his record. Do we want to be the best team that consistently doesn't make meaningful post season play? Or does Tulane aspire to start participating in March Madness and some day in the next few years have a shot at going to the second weekend of that tournament? I haven't seen anything from EC that lets me have confidence he can take us to the later scenario. Continuing his employment, IMHO, is a clear signal by RD and even Fitts that winning is not important.
jonathanjoseph
Green Wave

DfromCT wrote:
msdos wrote:
mbawavefan12 wrote:
tpstulane wrote:

That's...worse
From what I've read, after a very pricey renovation of the old Zemurray mansion, the Cowen's lived on the second and third floors. Yes, they have the condo downtown, but I remember reading an article where Margie Cowen discussed part of the renovation including new walls to hide the stairwell up to the family's living areas. This was back a few years, so it may have changed, but she was specific about hosting as many as 4 functions a week in the house. And she said that many times visitors wouldn't think twice (despite velvet ropes and/or other deterrents) about going upstairs to check out the living areas.

I wish Tulane would end any affiliation with Scott Cowen, and stop paying him. I'm sorry, but his press clippings give a whole lot more substance than his meaningful achievements and failures warrant.

This is a serious thread drift. To bring it back, I'll comment that without Cowen's Tulane Model, which doesn't "measure success by wins and losses" Ed Conroy would be gone by now. There are few, if any, other Universities that play D1 basketball that would keep him at the helm with his record. Do we want to be the best team that consistently doesn't make meaningful post season play? Or does Tulane aspire to start participating in March Madness and some day in the next few years have a shot at going to the second weekend of that tournament? I haven't seen anything from EC that lets me have confidence he can take us to the later scenario. Continuing his employment, IMHO, is a clear signal by RD and even Fitts that winning is not important.
And while coaches have to pay for parking spots and microwaves out of pocket, who do you think paid for these expensive renovations to Margie Cowen's entertaining space? Anyone believe that Tulane didn't pay for that?

It's this kind of disgusting activity that is typical when you have absolute power corrupting absolutely.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

Actually, the original owner's grandson paid for the renovations.
jonathanjoseph
Green Wave

DfromCT wrote:Actually, the original owner's grandson paid for the renovations.
Lol. I guess Cowen was more interested in fundraising for his home renovations than Yulman.

Is there anything Cowen can't convince people to do for him?

Pay for his renovations? Cover up his deficits? Name him man of the year despite being a failure? Make a 100+ year old prestigious university his personal play toy while paying him handsomely to go on vacation?

If I didn't care about Tulane University, he might be my idol.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

The renovations took place a few years before Yulman was announced. There's plenty to fault Cowen for, but I don't think this is a good topic to bash him on. The house is used for University functions a few days a week.

Let's get back on topic: I personally don't think EC can or will take Tulane to the NCAA tournament and/or lead us to the point where we might expect to make the second weekend of the tournament.
Jonathan
Riptide

Conroy and CJ are terrible. How do you lose to Alabama A&M in your home arena the first game of the season. They are another Prairie View or Southern. Sickening . CJ has been blown out in every game for the last two years.
Bearwave
High Tide

Don't forget Momic
Bears are Ready to Rhule! Sic'em