Fire Ed Conroy!

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Wave QB wrote:I think you have to give him one more year. Who can honestly say they expected a winning season this season?
I did. But that still doesn't justify another year.

BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
DrBox
Riptide

OUG wrote:
What serious money are we paying to host? I'd like an answer on that. I'd bet its not that much, either in the context of our athletic budget or in the context of our basketball coaches' buyout (which itself is probably not very substantial).

Did we write a check? Most assuredly. Did we pay $10k? $100k? My bet is that it is much, much closer to the former, and probably even below it. We aren't talking about a bowl game here.

At any rate, I don't think the buyout has ANYTHING to do with why Dickson is keeping Conroy. The buyout would be eminently affordable under any circumstance -- he isn't Rick Pitino. There's no way that we're keeping him because we can't afford a cheap buyout. This is sloppy thinking. We are keeping him because Rick Dickson wants to keep him. Keep your eye on the ball.
That's probably true. and we don't seem to have any problem with recruiting budgets as we recruit California and Finland. Now we don't seem to get down to the bayou much, but I'm sure we could afford to do so.
conroy need to keep his eye on the ball: recruiting.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

DrBox wrote:
OUG wrote:
What serious money are we paying to host? I'd like an answer on that. I'd bet its not that much, either in the context of our athletic budget or in the context of our basketball coaches' buyout (which itself is probably not very substantial).

Did we write a check? Most assuredly. Did we pay $10k? $100k? My bet is that it is much, much closer to the former, and probably even below it. We aren't talking about a bowl game here.

At any rate, I don't think the buyout has ANYTHING to do with why Dickson is keeping Conroy. The buyout would be eminently affordable under any circumstance -- he isn't Rick Pitino. There's no way that we're keeping him because we can't afford a cheap buyout. This is sloppy thinking. We are keeping him because Rick Dickson wants to keep him. Keep your eye on the ball.
That's probably true. and we don't seem to have any problem with recruiting budgets as we recruit California and Finland. Now we don't seem to get down to the bayou much, but I'm sure we could afford to do so.
A year ago the CBI required the host team to guarantee $70K and the CIT was $30K. With the offset of ticket sales and concessions we'll probably lose about $35K hosting this game which is peanuts in the big picture.
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
mbawavefan12
Tsunami

tpstulane wrote:
DrBox wrote:
OUG wrote:

A year ago the CBI required the host team to guarantee $70K and the CIT was $30K. With the offset of ticket sales and concessions we'll probably lose about $35K hosting this game which is peanuts in the big picture.
We will get 35k in revenue? What about the employee costs, marketing etc., but it doesn't really matter as that should be considered nothing for a decent size athletic dept.

Anyways, it is sort of dammed if you do dammed if you don't with so many around here. If they pay, it's a waste, if they don't they are cheap.

I support playing the tourney to allow for extra practice time and give the seniors one more game, but I don't support it if the AD somehow thinks making this tourney is an accomplishment and he tries to spin (both privately and publicly) that this is an example of a successful season.

Conroy is coming back and will get an extension through at least 2015-16 (though I admit I can't remember if he already has this extension). I am 98% certain on these two points.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

mbawavefan12 wrote:
tpstulane wrote:
DrBox wrote:
OUG wrote:

We will get 35k in revenue? What about the employee costs, marketing etc., but it doesn't really matter as that should be considered nothing for a decent size athletic dept.

Anyways, it is sort of dammed if you do dammed if you don't with so many around here. If they pay, it's a waste, if they don't they are cheap.

I support playing the tourney to allow for extra practice time and give the seniors one more game, but I don't support it if the AD somehow thinks making this tourney is an accomplishment and he tries to spin (both privately and publicly) that this is an example of a successful season.

Conroy is coming back and will get an extension through at least 2015-16 (though I admit I can't remember if he already has this extension). I am 98% certain on these two points.
Forget about the money for a moment. The only question that is important, will playing in this tourney help benefit our basketball team for next year?
Simply answer is YES. Bringing EC back is a different topic than playing in the CBI. He will be back. Now is EC the guy that can lead us to an AAC title that we all want? That's debatable. If it isn't EC then is there a coach out there that can lead Tulane basketball to an AAC title that we can attract? I don't know.
Tulane Class of 1981
mbawavefan12
Tsunami

tpstulane wrote:
mbawavefan12 wrote:
tpstulane wrote:
DrBox wrote:
OUG wrote:

Forget about the money for a moment. The only question that is important, will playing in this tourney help benefit our basketball team for next year?
Simply answer is YES. Bringing EC back is a different topic than playing in the CBI. He will be back. Now is EC the guy that can lead us to an AAC title that we all want? That's debatable. If it isn't EC then is there a coach out there that can lead Tulane basketball to an AAC title that we can attract? I don't know.
As correctly pointed out many times, the job is much better than when EC was hired. In the end, I can't say bringing EC back is the worst of RD's decisions, it's just that I think we all know that RD/SC probably didn't think twice about bringing him back and consider this year a success. The bigger issue for me, was not making a move last year. It's just going to be a mess in the AAC next year and everyone knows it yet nothing (or very little) seems to change. The empty Devlin is the worst part, just no excitement. Once we are 2-10 (or worse) in the AAC, some decent teams will come into Devlin, see all the empty seats, and realize what a joke our program has become. It's just embarrassing.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Next year will be the test. Have to wait and judge after next season. On paper it looks like its going to be brutal but that's why you play the games.
Tulane Class of 1981
jonathanjoseph
Green Wave

tpstulane wrote: A year ago the CBI required the host team to guarantee $70K and the CIT was $30K. With the offset of ticket sales and concessions we'll probably lose about $35K hosting this game which is peanuts in the big picture.
IIRC $35K is exactly $35K more than they had in the original marketing budget for the ECU football game.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

jonathanjoseph wrote:
tpstulane wrote: A year ago the CBI required the host team to guarantee $70K and the CIT was $30K. With the offset of ticket sales and concessions we'll probably lose about $35K hosting this game which is peanuts in the big picture.
IIRC $35K is exactly $35K more than they had in the original marketing budget for the ECU football game.
Good to see they are willing to spend money on basketball.
Tulane Class of 1981
mbawavefan12
Tsunami

BC fires Steve Donahue. He took over a re-build and at BC he had a 0.353 winning % in four years of ACC conference play. EC has a 0.3125 winning % in four years of CUSA play.

Ken Bone fired by Wash St. In five year he had 0.342 winning % in Pac12 play. EC has a 0.3125 winning % in four years of CUSA play. Bone took his team to an NIT semi and CBI final.
jonathanjoseph
Green Wave

OUG wrote:
I've been trying to nail down a price tag for #Tulane's bid to host the CBI game tomorrow vs. Princeton, & it doesn't appear to be cheap.
https://twitter.com/ScottDKushner/statu ... 5278473217
wavedat
Swell

mbawavefan12 wrote:BC fires Steve Donahue. He took over a re-build and at BC he had a 0.353 winning % in four years of ACC conference play. EC has a 0.3125 winning % in four years of CUSA play.

Ken Bone fired by Wash St. In five year he had 0.342 winning % in Pac12 play. EC has a 0.3125 winning % in four years of CUSA play. Bone took his team to an NIT semi and CBI final.
Quit complaining. We are in the postseason for consecutive years and spent big bucks on it. ALL IS WELL.
Tulane didn't have a stadium issue it had a program and facilities issues. To the new President- we want a new AD , a football facility and an IPF. We want top 25 programs in football and basketball the only two sports that count.
AugWave
Swell

wavedat wrote:
mbawavefan12 wrote:BC fires Steve Donahue. He took over a re-build and at BC he had a 0.353 winning % in four years of ACC conference play. EC has a 0.3125 winning % in four years of CUSA play.

We are in the postseason for consecutive years and spent big bucks on it. ALL IS Shitty.
FIFY
I don't yell. I don't scream. I don't argue. I just hit 'em over the head with a bottle.
Jonathan
Riptide

I respectfully disagree with you. Thinks are not well with Tulane men's basketball. Post season? Not the NCAA? We are in some fourth tier tournament that we have to pay to play instead of generating hundreds of thousands of dollars advancing in the NCAA tournament. Fire Dickson and Conroy now!
mbawavefan12
Tsunami

Any thoughts on Al Skinner? The guy was railroaded out of BC but did more with less in his time at Chestnut Hill. I like him for two reasons: 1) He operated at an academically oriented private school 2) he constantly found diamonds in the rough (Troy Bell, Craig Smith, Dudley).

Hilarious over in the yoggies, the natives are restless and the communist rulers are having trouble keeping them locked down. I give alot of credit to the gotula.net folks for the shake up.

We desperately need a new AD. Firing EC (for me) is almost as scary as retaining him because of who would do the hiring of our next coach.
Last edited by mbawavefan12 on Mon Mar 24, 2014 11:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
JDTulane
Riptide

Revolt revolt revolt!!
GreenLantern
Riptide

DfromCT
Wild Pelican

Word up here is that Jim Calhoun, at 71 years old, is going to take the BC job. Are you going to tell me, that, given the opportunity to spend and hire a Jim Calhoun, Tulane is content staying with an Ed Conroy?? SMU set the bar by hiring Larry Brown. I don't think we need that big of a name, but there are a number of really good coaches out there that would take the Tulane job knowing Cowen (and hopefully Dickson, soon) is leaving, and the AAC is less than 100 days away.

Please find a coach that can take us to the tournament regularly, and into the second week every so often. I know, I know, asking RD to do that is like asking for divine intervention.
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
mbawavefan12
Tsunami

JDTulane wrote:Revolt revolt revolt!!
Actually it is, delete, delete, delete.

They are desperately holding onto their power. Once the stadium opens and every thread is not hijacked, this will be be the place that TU fans will come to for open discussions.
JDTulane
Riptide

Well I've recreated the thread 3 times. Waiting on my 3rd ban of the 2010's era. Next one should finalize it I'm sure!
ajcalhoun
Swell

DfromCT wrote:Word up here is that Jim Calhoun, at 71 years old, is going to take the BC job. Are you going to tell me, that, given the opportunity to spend and hire a Jim Calhoun, Tulane is content staying with an Ed Conroy?? SMU set the bar by hiring Larry Brown. I don't think we need that big of a name, but there are a number of really good coaches out there that would take the Tulane job knowing Cowen (and hopefully Dickson, soon) is leaving, and the AAC is less than 100 days away.

Please find a coach that can take us to the tournament regularly, and into the second week every so often. I know, I know, asking RD to do that is like asking for divine intervention.
Boston is 90 minutes from Stoors. I don't think that a 71-year-old who spent his entire life in New England would have the slightest interest in the Tulane job. The odds of that happening are only slightly better than us snagging John Wooden, who's been dead almost four years now.
God Bless Everyone!
Jonathan
Riptide

Has anyone on this board emailed Dickson and told him point blank what you think of the program and coaches? I have but he has never over the years returned my calls or emails.
JDTulane
Riptide

I have and he has returned every email with a reply. Usually it is a thank you for my concerns. Once I was invited to have lunch with him but I was busy and politely declined.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

ajcalhoun wrote:
DfromCT wrote:Word up here is that Jim Calhoun, at 71 years old, is going to take the BC job. Are you going to tell me, that, given the opportunity to spend and hire a Jim Calhoun, Tulane is content staying with an Ed Conroy?? SMU set the bar by hiring Larry Brown. I don't think we need that big of a name, but there are a number of really good coaches out there that would take the Tulane job knowing Cowen (and hopefully Dickson, soon) is leaving, and the AAC is less than 100 days away.

Boston is 90 minutes from Stoors. I don't think that a 71-year-old who spent his entire life in New England would have the slightest interest in the Tulane job. The odds of that happening are only slightly better than us snagging John Wooden, who's been dead almost four years now.
Sure it's debatable whether or not Calhoun (who has roots to Boston) would ever accept a job in New Orleans. That being said, his country club membership is in a little town in Georgia (Augusta). It's said he is there about half of his free time.

The example was used to show that there are plenty of very capable couches out there. SMU went and got Larry Brown, BC is going to hire Calhoun (if rumors are accurate). Auburn got Bruce Pearl, the list goes on and on. We're staying with a guy that's got a .320 winning percentage in CUSA in four years.
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
Jonathan
Riptide

I am one generation over you. I had a great relationship with Mack Brown and his assistant Wright Waters,Kevin White and Chet Cladchuk. I would give a few thousand a year to TAF and they would all take me out to lunch a few times a year and return my phone calls. I have had no such luck with Rick Dickson. I believe because of your presence on the two Tulane Internet fan forums and also your recently created Tulane booster club you will and should get attention from him. Most of the posters here do not get any type of response from him.