Yulman Stadium (Benson Field)

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
Green Wave
Swell

RobertM320 wrote:
RWR wrote:No she didn't. The numbers were released in the playbook which clearly show the 45% increase was over 4 years.
My thoughts exactly. The sentence describes what Segari was seeing and hearing at the time, and he was NOT hearing about a 45% increase this season. She knew that but put it in the article anyway.
It was as Tammy described.

http://www.tulanegreenwave.com/playbook/

it starts at minute 13.

RD says year. Nothing he said indicated 2007.

"though no official numbers were released."
And she is right again. on page 9 of the playbook in the lower right corner, you will see a nice little graph showing a 45% increase in the budget from 2007 to 2011. What it clearly does not show are the offical numbers of what was spent on football. Its blank.

Just to clarify once again. Nunez was relaying what was happening at the time and Dixon clearly does not mention 2007 nor does he offer any real number of what Tulane is spending on football and neither does the playbook.

ROLL WAVE!
RWR
Swell

Once again she had the playbook before the article was done for sunday's paper.
Green Wave
Swell

RWR wrote:Once again she had the playbook before the article was done for sunday's paper.

Once again the playbook does not show what Tulane has spent on football.

"though no official numbers were released."
ROLL WAVE!
JTLiuzza
Swell

She's a hack until proven otherwise. Get over it.
The second commandment has not been abrogated.
RWR
Swell

The bone of contention is that after initially reporting that Tulane was giving football a 45% increase for the coming year she refused to be truthful after it was clear that the increase was over 4 years. It doesn't matter what the actual dollar numbers are there was no 45% increase in one year. RD and SC admitted that to a student reporter for the Hullabaloo who knows how a real reporter is supposed to do their job.
Green Wave
Swell

RWR wrote:The bone of contention is that after initially reporting that Tulane was giving football a 45% increase for the coming year she refused to be truthful after it was clear that the increase was over 4 years. It doesn't matter what the actual dollar numbers are there was no 45% increase in one year. RD and SC admitted that to a student reporter for the Hullabaloo who knows how a real reporter is supposed to do their job.
There is no refused to be truthful. That is a load of BS. She gave you the smoking gun. You just have to go there. She cant and remain objective. Her point is to report not editorialize.
ROLL WAVE!
RWR
Swell

Went there and the smoking gun is that there was no one time 45% increase and yet she refused to admit that even though everybody else sees it.
Green Wave
Swell

RWR wrote:Went there and the smoking gun is that there was no one time 45% increase and yet she refused to admit that even though everybody else sees it.
In that article she refused to admit that? Could you point me to where that is?

Everybody sees it? Sees what? Nothing?

The article was about an OCS.
The 45% increase in one year was not Tammy's statement it was the Tulane University Athletic Director who made the statement and the inference was to what Segari was listening to at the time and his reaction to what was said

Now, speaking solely on the 45% part: 45% of what number? I don’t know. It was never posted. It was reported that it wasn’t posted however. Based on what was disclosed I have no clue how much Tulane has spent on football and no one got to ask any questions either.
So based on what I have to go on and the fact that 45% of 0 is 0:
45% is nothing. Of course it could cease to be nothing easy enough. All you have to do is provide me with what they spent on football year by year! But they didn’t.

They talked about disclosure and being clear yet they left the amount spent on football out.
ROLL WAVE!
RWR
Swell

Tulane reported a 45% increase and represented that it was to take place this coming athletic year. Everyone who got the playbook immediately discovered that wasn't true except for Tammy who obviously didn't read it before her first article on the topic. Then in the Sunday article she still fails to acknowledge that it wasn't true. You and her are the only two that won't admit she did a poor job. The bottom line is that her credibility is shot as she just appears to be their lackey. Anyone notice she hasn't had a chat since this took place.
JTLiuzza
Swell

I don't give a hoot about the 45% deal.

Nunez is in an interesting position and has a great opportunity. She's just not up to taking advantage of it.

Most college beat writers have the usual to write about: who will pitch this weekend, why are the bats hot/cold, what is the competition like for each position in football spring practices. These guys have to manufacture interest and intrigue to keep from dying of boredom.

Tulane, on the other hand, has an athletic department immersed in intrigue, political drama, and dozens of burning questions that burrow down into the very mission of the department and into the office of the president of the school. There is more to write about than you can shake a stick at, as they say. And so far the Hullaballoo has done a better job of telling the story.

There is a gulf between stated objectives and apparent direction of policy, not to mention results on the field. You would think a journalist would be thrilled to have so much to report on. Ours is an athletic department with all kinds of policy issues and mission issues, confusion and contradiction, disgruntled fans, an entire city that believes Tulane is not serious. This woman could be cranking out interesting articles every day with all that is afoot at Tulane. What do we get? Nothing.

She has never reported anything that I couldn’t have found out by reading the official site. The next time she asks an incisive question will be the first time. There is something fundamentally wrong with that.

She could be making a name for herself while helping to expose epic failure. Instead she chooses to take dictation.
RWR
Swell

She also didn't cover our football scrimmage on Friday.
sader24
Tsunami

They only wake her up for games and Cowen/Dickson propaganda.
jonathanjoseph
Green Wave

1ndabag wrote:I don't give a hoot about the 45% deal.

Nunez is in an interesting position and has a great opportunity. She's just not up to taking advantage of it.

Most college beat writers have the usual to write about: who will pitch this weekend, why are the bats hot/cold, what is the competition like for each position in football spring practices. These guys have to manufacture interest and intrigue to keep from dying of boredom.

Tulane, on the other hand, has an athletic department immersed in intrigue, political drama, and dozens of burning questions that burrow down into the very mission of the department and into the office of the president of the school. There is more to write about than you can shake a stick at, as they say. And so far the Hullaballoo has done a better job of telling the story.

There is a gulf between stated objectives and apparent direction of policy, not to mention results on the field. You would think a journalist would be thrilled to have so much to report on. Ours is an athletic department with all kinds of policy issues and mission issues, confusion and contradiction, disgruntled fans, an entire city that believes Tulane is not serious. This woman could be cranking out interesting articles every day with all that is afoot at Tulane. What do we get? Nothing.

She has never reported anything that I couldn’t have found out by reading the official site. The next time she asks an incisive question will be the first time. There is something fundamentally wrong with that.

She could be making a name for herself while helping to expose epic failure. Instead she chooses to take dictation.
great post.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

If and when it ever happens...."KingCake Field @ Gambino Stadium "
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
Green Wave
Swell

WALLY ENGLISH FIELD

SCOTT COWEN STADIUM

:mrgreen:
ROLL WAVE!
sader24
Tsunami

The Superdome has been trying to sell naming rights for 10 years, same with the arena. In today's economy it's going to be hard to find someone to buy naming rights much less the amount they're talking about.
Green Wave
Swell

Now lets see.
What did I do with that extra 20 mil?
Nope not under the mattress. ;)
ROLL WAVE!
sader24
Tsunami

If I'm correct in the 2001 deal between the Saints and Louisiana a large part of the deal was based on the Superdome/State getting 3-5 million per year on naming rights. Of course this didn't even come close to happening. For Tulane to believe 20 Mill of 60 mill is going to come from naming rights and another $20 million is going to come from "additional Naming oppurtunities" is disingenuous at best. http://www.tulanegreenwave.com/playbook ... ision.html The whole stadium plan according to the playbook is B.S. Who in New Orleans is going to put up 20 million to name a 25-30K Cusa stadium? Let's be honest they have absolutely no idea how they are going to come up with 60 mill, they have no idea where to put the stadium, they have no idea about anything except the plans they've had for 25+ years that they are studying. If a world known dome that hosts Super Bowls, Final Fours, National Championships, Sugar Bowls, NFL Games, NFC Championships, NCAA Regionals, Trade Shows, every Louisiana high school football state championship etc. etc. cant even get a $1 million per year deal how is Tulane's stadium gonna get a $20 million deal with 6 below average College games per year and a few New Orleans public school high school games? Maybe I'm wrong but from what the playbook says I think it's either a blatant lie or delusion on Tulane's part. We need $60 million just for construction of a mythical stadium and we have zero. This doesn't include legal fees fighting the neighborhood, rising construction costs, delays, etc. etc. How much was put up for the baseball stadium by Turchin, Greer, etc.? Does anyone believe there are Tulane Football fans willing to put up $40 million for a stadium? Maybe I'm wrong and if I am I'll admit it unlike our administration and athletic department, but I don't see it at all.
RWR
Swell

Well said sader. Tammy has a chat today. Might be a good time to point out the folly to the administrations minion.
JTLiuzza
Swell

sader24 wrote:Maybe I'm wrong but from what the playbook says I think it's either a blatant lie or delusion on Tulane's part.
No you're not wrong. The whole thing is nothing but bullsh!t. It's meant to distract people from the real problems (incompetent, untrustworthy 'leadership') while making it look like they're actually doing something about football, which they're not. And it only costs them whatever monies were involved in printing a few glossy brochures.
Fred Dowler
Riptide

IF it were to come to pass....

IF....

It would definitely to me be the prelude to dropping down to Div. III.

That's all that would be needed. Some 25,000 seat structure.

And I am very convinced that there is just not room on campus for anything beyond that and that even a stadium of that size will be a tight fit and then that' s not even getting started with parking.

Talk about a weapon that could be and would be used against Tulane at recruiting time.

I can hear it now. "They left a world-famous NFL stadium to play in their own high school stadium-sized stadium (to go with their high school gym-sized basketball gym)...."

Some (but not all) in the Tulane camp get excited. The rest of C-USA chuckles. The rest of the Div. 1 Bowl subdivision college football world yawns.
Tulane sports: small football stadium, very small basketball arena, w̶i̶n̶n̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶p̶r̶o̶g̶r̶a̶m̶s̶, h̶o̶n̶e̶s̶t̶y̶ ̶a̶n̶d̶ ̶a̶c̶c̶o̶u̶n̶t̶a̶b̶i̶l̶i̶t̶y̶ , but, hey, now there's tailgating.
sader24
Tsunami

I was adamantly against the On-Campus stadium a few months ago. I've started to change my mind a little bit, but not on the size. Anything sub-35K would be a huge mistake in my opinion. 25K would be a disaster. If they were to come out with a 38,500 capacity stadium with room for expansion I'd probably be in favor of it. I still don't think it's nearly as important to this program as 4 or 5 other things that could be corrected much easier, much quicker, and much cheaper and have a much bigger effect on the program.
TURVS71
Swell

"Son, why would you want to play football at Tulane? They play in a 75K seat NFL stadium with maybe 5k in there. The stadium management doesn't care about Tulane. All they care about is the NFL, Tulane is just an afterthought to them and MAY not even be that. They keep the place so cold that it feels like a meat locker. They open one concession stand for your parents and friends to enjoy themselves. The make the university take down its banners on many occassions. The force their fans to tailgate, if you can call it that, on the roof of a parking garage. You will ride a bus to the stadium. Play in a stadium that on most occassions refuses to recognize you our your school as the field is decorated for the NFL team. Not you, not Tulane University! The dome is a place that does not care about you or your school. Families really don't want to come to downtown New Orleans to see you."

'Son, come to Tulane and play in a beautiful, new 35K stadium. Come to Tulane and walk from your dorm or apartment to your locker room. Train and play where you go to school and live. Take pride every time you run out on that field. You will see your schools logos and colors all over YOUR stadium. You will see your family and friends tailgate on GRASS, not concrete. You may FINALLY have a home field advantage when playing. Come to Tulane and help us to regain our on campus tradition, a tradition that we so terribly threw away in the mid 70's. Is it perfect, no, but it will belong to YOU, the athlete. It will be a part of your everyday routine as you educate yourself at Tulane. You will see it, you will feel it. IT WILL BE YOURS!!"

Of course I know that some can and will pick this apart but either scenario can and will be used against us. Coaches will tell kids,
"Tulane plays in an empty dome DESIGNED specifically for an NFL team NOT you!"

or

"Tulane plays in a small 35K seat stadium so why go there?"

On campus is the best thing for the football program at this time.
'Here's a song for the Olive and the Blue"
RWR
Swell

Son, why go play in a 25,000 seat high school stadium that's the 2nd best high school stadium in the city. Your family and friends will have to park in treacherous neighborhoods to get to the stadium. Concession lines will be long b/c there will only be one to accomadate the 1,5000 fans at your games. The program is a joke and they built a 3rd class stadium to take attention away from there real problems. Before your career is over Tulane will be D-3.

Tulane doesn't deserve the Dome.The Dome deserves a better Tulane team.
jonathanjoseph
Green Wave

RWR wrote:
Tulane doesn't deserve the Dome.The Dome deserves a better Tulane team.
+1