Yulman Stadium (Benson Field)

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
Green Wave
Swell

Tulane Green Wave Spirit Shop Located on the first floor of the James Wilson Jr. Center for Intercollegiate Athletics, the spirit shop is home to all your Green Wave–gear needs. If you can’t make it to the store, shop the official online store, which has a buy one, get one 50 percent off sale running through Dec. 31.
http://tulane.edu/news/newwave/120613_nwinsider.cfm

Bitch/moan, bitch/moan, and bitch moan some more.

Meanwhile I will walk on to campus opening day and walk into the Wilson Center and buy my gear there. Then, I will direct JJ and his bitch moaning crew up to the roof of the Wilson center where they can take turns diving head first onto the party deck. :mrgreen:

I myself will take the conventional route into the stadium where I will stop at different vendors admiring the Tulane merchandise they will have for sale. Afterwards, I will make my way to my seats and stand and sing the national anthem and smile when I see old glory waving from, of all things, a flagpole!

BTW

Alabama does not have a store in its stadium much less one that is attached to it!

http://www.universitysupplystore.com/site_hours.asp

ROLL WAVE!
OUG
Riptide

Show Me wrote:
OUG wrote:
bananax07 wrote:i've been to plenty of games at a midwest school whose reputation/revenue tulane would frankly give its left nut for, and they don't have a dedicated apparel shop in their stadium - just several of those t-shirt little trailers on the concourse. nobody seems to complain about lack of a team store, and the bookstore does enough business on football weekends to fund its whole year's operation.

not saying that would necessarily work at tulane, just that it's not imperative to put a shop in the stadium.
Notre Dame doe not have a physical "team store" in the stadium. That might be what you're referring to. I'd bet most schools don't.
We are not Notre Dame. You can walk into almost any sport apparel store in the country and buy an ND piece. You can barely even find Tulane stuff outside of Tulane. We have a new facility, we should have a fan shop inside. We need more fans to wear Tulane stuff. Make it easy for them to find and purchase Tulane apparel. Of course it's not imperative to put a shop inside. But it's a good idea that apparently was overlooked. Is it imperative we sell liquor at a college game? No. But is it done anyway. Notre Dame doesn't sell beer. So why should we?
But there will be plenty of places on campus on game day people can buy gear, including probably in the stadium. Nobody is disputing that.
Show Me
Tsunami

Green Wave wrote:
Tulane Green Wave Spirit Shop Located on the first floor of the James Wilson Jr. Center for Intercollegiate Athletics, the spirit shop is home to all your Green Wave–gear needs. If you can’t make it to the store, shop the official online store, which has a buy one, get one 50 percent off sale running through Dec. 31.
http://tulane.edu/news/newwave/120613_nwinsider.cfm

Bitch/moan, bitch/moan, and bitch moan some more.

Meanwhile I will walk on to campus opening day and walk into the Wilson Center and buy my gear there. Then, I will direct JJ and his bitch moaning crew up to the roof of the Wilson center where they can take turns diving head first onto the party deck. :mrgreen:

I myself will take the conventional route into the stadium where I will stop at different vendors admiring the Tulane merchandise they will have for sale. Afterwards, I will make my way to my seats and stand and sing the national anthem and smile when I see old glory waving from, of all things, a flagpole!

BTW

Alabama does not have a store in its stadium much less one that is attached to it!

http://www.universitysupplystore.com/site_hours.asp
I guess if I don't like as Rick Dickson has said, "I can go across the street and get one there". And Bama has a store bigger than our entire Wilson center ground level.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

Damn. I read Green Wave Spirit Shop and thought I could buy tequila on my way into Yulman!!
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
TXWave88
Surge

No Flag Pole is pretty bad. They may just plan to have a big American flag stretched out on the field. I bet there will be a flag pole but maybe it was not on the priority list for opening day.

They could put flag poles on the back of the North Endzone and fly every flag from every AAC university. They never had any of the conference schools up before.

They could put the historical "banners" as letters on the concrete between the ribbon screens and above the press box. It would be a disappointment to not have any of the accomplishments up there as some of the fans will be from those teams who earned recognition. I also like to see All Americans noted in a stadium. I think its just a cool thing to show.
WaveCan
Low Tide

TXWave88 wrote:They could put the historical "banners" as letters on the concrete between the ribbon screens and above the press box. It would be a disappointment to not have any of the accomplishments up there as some of the fans will be from those teams who earned recognition. I also like to see All Americans noted in a stadium. I think its just a cool thing to show.
I've been harping on this for a long time. Not only will some in attendance have been members of those teams, but it also shows the new generation of fans and students our historical accomplishments such as the Rose Bowl appearance, SEC titles, Sugar Bowl, and, at some point we'll (hopefully) have fans that don't have an active memory of the 1998 team. Also would look good during TV games for the camera to focus on. A notation of All Americans or a ring of honor type notation in the stadium would be nice as well. We don't need all of this for opening day, but I would hope by Year 2 of the stadium they've incorporated all of this.
OUG
Riptide

Field starting to look a lot more like grass! Looks good. The two-tone field was a good choice.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Just left the stadium. I spoke to the crumb rubber crew and they told me something interesting. They are using half of the rubber from the old turf's of past that were removed from the dome. Apparently every year the Saints get a new turf but they reuse much the of rubber fill.
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
NOLABigSteve
Tsunami

tpstulane wrote:Just left the stadium. I spoke to the crumb rubber crew and they told me something interesting. They are using half of the rubber from the old turf's of past that were removed from the dome. Apparently every year the Saints get a new turf but they reuse much the of rubber fill.
Saves money???
Roll Wave!
Tulane University c/o 2003
Football Defensive End '99, '00, '01, '02
2002 Hawaii Bowl Champions
School of Engineering (Computer Science)
NOLABigSteve
Tsunami

Roll Wave!
Tulane University c/o 2003
Football Defensive End '99, '00, '01, '02
2002 Hawaii Bowl Champions
School of Engineering (Computer Science)
nawlinspete
Riptide

tpstulane wrote:Just left the stadium. I spoke to the crumb rubber crew and they told me something interesting. They are using half of the rubber from the old turf's of past that were removed from the dome. Apparently every year the Saints get a new turf but they reuse much the of rubber fill.

Question: Were you able to speak with the trades people ? Do they think that the interior features will be in place and operational for September 6.

It is a shame to have to rely on you instead of daily progress reports from the General Contractor.
President Fitts , B of A , it's put up or forever hold your peace time . Make Tulane ATHLETICS relevant and top 30 again .
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

nawlinspete wrote:

Question: Were you able to speak with the trades people ? Do they think that the interior features will be in place and operational for September 6.

It is a shame to have to rely on you instead of daily progress reports from the General Contractor.
It was a only subcontractor. I didn't ask him about a finish date. It was very very busy out there though. Lot's of overtime being paid I'm sure. To Stephen I first thought the same thing (cheap) and I'm sure it is but then I realized all that rubber is from recycled shoes and tires and it really never wears out so that makes sense to re-use it..
Tulane Class of 1981
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Comparing our field to the natural grass two-tone field they have in BR.
tpstulane wrote: Image
Tulane Class of 1981
nawlinspete
Riptide

The seams on Benson Field are REALLY VISIBLE.
President Fitts , B of A , it's put up or forever hold your peace time . Make Tulane ATHLETICS relevant and top 30 again .
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

nawlinspete wrote:The seams on Benson Field are REALLY VISIBLE.
For now. Once the rubber is raked in it should smooth it out.
Tulane Class of 1981
nawlinspete
Riptide

The appearance of Benson Field will be greatly enhanced if hedges are planted along the seating facades, ala The University of Georgia. The unfinished concrete is unattractive to say the least.
Bigschtick
Riptide

As we have seen for years, this athletic department is not tuned into the details.
Speak softly but carry a bigschtick! In Sumrall We Trust!
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

Perhaps we might let the stadium open and see what the FINISHED product is like?
batonvert
Ripple

nawlinspete wrote:The appearance of Benson Field will be greatly enhanced if hedges are planted along the seating facades, ala The University of Georgia. The unfinished concrete is unattractive to say the least.
There's not enough space for hedges. Over the past 2 days it looks like they installed green padding around the whole field on the cam.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

Hell... if there is room for hedges (like in the original stadium) I vote for MORE seats to be added !!!!!
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
Jonathan
Riptide

Come on. Lighten up! The field and end zone looks fantastic. . Cannot wait until the Georgia Tech game.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

Jonathan wrote:Come on. Lighten up! The field and end zone looks fantastic. . Cannot wait until the Georgia Tech game.

OK...no hedges...just plant "Inpatients" in honor of Jonathan !!!!!
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

golfnut69 wrote:
Jonathan wrote:Come on. Lighten up! The field and end zone looks fantastic. . Cannot wait until the Georgia Tech game.

OK...no hedges...just plant "Inpatients" in honor of Jonathan !!!!!

:lol:
JerseyWave
Riptide

Rick Dickson is in charge of landscaping. He's experienced planting flowers around the Wilson Center.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

JerseyWave wrote:Rick Dickson is in charge of landscaping. He's experienced planting flowers around the Wilson Center.
I heard he decided the lighting would be grow lights to help the turf.