Yulman Stadium (Benson Field)

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
CougarRed
Ripple

winwave wrote:LSUlawgreenie , who favors the stadium, didn't estimate. He counted the seats which the model allows one to do. You assume all rows in a section have the same number of seats when in fact you can look at the model and see some rows aren't as long as others. It seats 22,660.No way there is SRO for over 7k more. It is what it is.

Whatever the seating capacity is, you can bet that the Athletic officials will stick to the 25,000 seats, 30,000 capacity numbers in all future press releases, and as a benchmark for announcing sell out attendance figures.

UH officials did the same when Robertson sat 28,500 and we announced it held 32,000.

JTLiuzza
Swell

OUG wrote:How could street parking not be allowed? How would they enforce that? Are there residential parking stickers with zone numbers on them? Not sure of the city does that or not.

My understanding was that Tulane promised the city that they would come up with a parking plan. They did not say that people would not be allowed to park off the street. Just because Tulane is required to make parking available doesn't mean that people coming to the game need to use it.

Now, the challenge may be that students and others who normally park on campus will need to instead park elsewhere due to Tulane "making space available", and that will cause a crowding out for street parking. But we don't know that yet.
I agree 100%. I brought that up a few weeks ago but I think I derailed a thread in the process so when we were told to keep it on point the discussion died. It's here somewhere. I could find nothing in the documentation of the agreement with the city that explicitly stated that legal parking on public streets was somehow suspended during Tulane games. There may be something there but I didn't see it.
The second commandment has not been abrogated.
Wave755
Tsunami

sader24 wrote:You really seem to have a personal issue with ULL.
Actually, I have an "issue" with flamers and couldn't care less about little ULALA.
sader24
Tsunami

I agree, I don't see how they can restrict street parking outside of Audobon Place, but in the parking plan they did say they wouldn't allow street parking around the stadium. I have no problem walking, my minor concern is if u have to park a mile away it isn't the greatest neighborhood in some directions. Ideally ppl charge to park in the driveways/lawns but if you remember the last 2 Mardi Gras' Landrieu cracked down on businesses and homes selling parking without a permit.
OUG
Riptide

lurker123 wrote:
jonathanjoseph wrote:
DfromCT wrote:
jonathanjoseph wrote:
OUG wrote:
Explain to me how you walk around and try out different seats when the seating is still under construction. How long have we known that this would be a tight finish for? Again, you don't address anything, you just condescend away.
1) The "physical" ( :lol: ) seat doesn't have to be installed to walk to the "physical" vantage point where the seat will "physically" reside at a later date. All the "physical" seats are the same, the locations and sight lines are not dependent on seats.

2) There are about 40 days left before this really needs to be resolved. How about 24 hour windows instead of 10 minute windows? Maybe have "seat selection" viewing tours so that fans can see the sight lines from different sections before going back to use the online tool at a later date? I don't know, just some common sense ideas of which there are plenty.
Once again, as others have posted, the seat selection process is going relatively smoothly. Why argue about something that most feel Tulane got as close to right as possible?

JonathanJoseph, when do you pick? Do you pick? Or are you just going to sit back and criticize.

The stadium has clearly created so much buzz as we get closer that you must be feeling pretty left out. Sorry that someone that cares about Tulane has to be so cynical as to be on the outside looking in.
I have not complained about the seating selection process. I noted that their inability to figure out the basics of email was pretty typical of the Wilson Center. The above comments were responses to the suggestion that there were no other ways to do this. I suggested that there were numerous ways to do this, and any of them would have left some unhappy.

I won't be picking a seat because I'm not going to be buying season tickets. I don't feel left out at all. I won't go to any more or less games because of Yulman.
I guess after many of us have repeatedly been described by you as being hostages in love with our kidnappers and every adjective known in California and 49 other states describing mental defectives because we're sitting idly by watching the Tulane trustees and Admin criminally (not just civilly) violate their fiduciary duty, I think we enjoy the irony to have you say at least once every three days that you don't buy tickets to Tulane sporting events (even those that are less than 10 miles from your home as when Tulane baseball played in Berkeley and SF) but you're enough of an expert about Tulane athletics to have shared your views here almost 5000 times.

I know it's a run-on sentence but it's the best I could do under pressure until I learn how my kidnappers will spend my season ticket money.
:lol:
jonathanjoseph
Green Wave

lurker123 wrote: I guess after many of us have repeatedly been described by you as being hostages in love with our kidnappers and every adjective known in California and 49 other states describing mental defectives because we're sitting idly by watching the Tulane trustees and Admin criminally (not just civilly) violate their fiduciary duty, I think we enjoy the irony to have you say at least once every three days that you don't buy tickets to Tulane sporting events (even those that are less than 10 miles from your home as when Tulane baseball played in Berkeley and SF) but you're enough of an expert about Tulane athletics to have shared your views here almost 5000 times.

I know it's a run-on sentence but it's the best I could do under pressure until I learn how my kidnappers will spend my season ticket money.
So I guess that would be funny or ironic, but as I continue to repeating to no avail there is no truth to the suggestion that I choose not to attend Tulane sporting events when they are 10 miles from my home. I know it makes for a better story for me to be a "hater" who "boycotts" Tulane events but the reality is that I just live much farther away than most.

Just to clear it up once and for all, below is a link to a evidence that is photographic, geo-tagged and time-stamped.

https://foursquare.com/jonathanjoseph/c ... bd60766f1b
winwave
Top of the WAVE

JTLiuzza wrote:
OUG wrote:How could street parking not be allowed? How would they enforce that? Are there residential parking stickers with zone numbers on them? Not sure of the city does that or not.

My understanding was that Tulane promised the city that they would come up with a parking plan. They did not say that people would not be allowed to park off the street. Just because Tulane is required to make parking available doesn't mean that people coming to the game need to use it.

Now, the challenge may be that students and others who normally park on campus will need to instead park elsewhere due to Tulane "making space available", and that will cause a crowding out for street parking. But we don't know that yet.
I agree 100%. I brought that up a few weeks ago but I think I derailed a thread in the process so when we were told to keep it on point the discussion died. It's here somewhere. I could find nothing in the documentation of the agreement with the city that explicitly stated that legal parking on public streets was somehow suspended during Tulane games. There may be something there but I didn't see it.
It refers to those areas w/permit only signs obviously. There may be a widening of the area that has those. They may also put up temporary signs on game days. It won't be a sneak attack on this issue. If there is no signage then you can park there. I think the bigger problem will be the students eating those spots up the night before when they are made to clear out.
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
OUG
Riptide

CougarRed wrote:
winwave wrote:LSUlawgreenie , who favors the stadium, didn't estimate. He counted the seats which the model allows one to do. You assume all rows in a section have the same number of seats when in fact you can look at the model and see some rows aren't as long as others. It seats 22,660.No way there is SRO for over 7k more. It is what it is.

Whatever the seating capacity is, you can bet that the Athletic officials will stick to the 25,000 seats, 30,000 capacity numbers in all future press releases, and as a benchmark for announcing sell out attendance figures.

UH officials did the same when Robertson sat 28,500 and we announced it held 32,000.
You were lied to?
TXWave88
Surge

The turf should start being installed within a week or so I was told. You can see that they are almost done with the base.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

CougarRed wrote:

Doesn't change the issues w/regards to future recruiting and scheduling. Your school built a legit stadium w/clear expansion plans. Be happy for that. Tulane has built in a very tight spot hence the smallness.
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

OUG wrote:
CougarRed wrote:

You were lied to?
They weren't lied to. when they moved back in it sat 22,000. They expanded and knew the school was lying so as not to be embarrassed.
Last edited by winwave on Wed Jul 23, 2014 4:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CougarRed
Ripple

OUG wrote:
CougarRed wrote:

You were lied to?
Yep.

I think the plan was to renumber the seats from 18" to 16" in 1999, but we decided to hold off since we did not have the demand to fill the stadium consistently.

But we kept using the capacity AS IF we had marked the seats down to 16".
OUG
Riptide

TXWave88 wrote:The turf should start being installed within a week or so I was told. You can see that they are almost done with the base.
I guess. I don't know what the finished base looks like, I've thought they were almost done for awhile now. It looked like they were installing some drainage lines when I was looking at the cam yesterday.

Only reason I care is because the stadium goes from looking like a construction site to looking like a football stadium as soon as you get the turf down. It is a night and day difference.
jonathanjoseph
Green Wave

CougarRed wrote:
OUG wrote:
CougarRed wrote:

You were lied to?
Yep.

I think the plan was to renumber the seats from 18" to 16" in 1999, but we decided to hold off since we did not have the demand to fill the stadium consistently.

But we kept using the capacity AS IF we had marked the seats down to 16".
And Houston's leadership learned from its mistakes, and decided to knock that whole thing down and start from scratch on a new $120M stadium. It specifically started at 40K with announced and planned expansion to 60K. Then they announced a $40M basketball arena renovation. And this was while Houston was in CUSA, well before the Big East was a possibility.

Surely Houston did not have the "demand to consistently fill" those facilities when those decisions were made.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

I really believe Tulane's original design was to build a 30,000 seat, 35,000 capacity stadium when first proposed. The battles with the NIMBY's and the need to get started ASAP really really killed that plan. The height deal we made was a big blow. They held a gun to Tulane's head on that one. I believe one day we may be able to go higher but it could be a battle once that time comes. I guess baby steps for now.
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
T1B2TW
High Tide

tpstulane wrote:I really believe Tulane's original design was to build a 30,000 seat, 35,000 capacity stadium when first proposed. The battles with the NIMBY's and the need to get started ASAP really really killed that plan. The height deal we made was a big blow. They held a gun to Tulane's head on that one. I believe one day we may be able to go higher but it could be a battle once that time comes. I guess baby steps for now.
A clear case of the tail wagging the dog.
waveclem
Surge

I got section 120, row N, seats 16-21! These seats previously required a donation but it must have been waived. As far as the parking goes I paid for a parking pass at Oschner Hospital on Jeff hgwy. As long as their is no hic-ups with the shuttle it should be a fairly straight shot down Jeff onto Claiborne ave. I'm surprised no one has mentioned River road by Cooter Brown's as an option. Their is ample (and legal) parking space along the railroad tracks. I think it would be fairly easy to park there and take a streetcar straight down St Charles and get dropped off at the University entrance. Just an idea.
sader24
Tsunami

If you've got the time to do it right there should be lots of interesting parking options including even getting dropped off in the quarter and taking a streetcar to the game, walking, etc. My biggest concern is those 2 or 3 games a year when I have to show up at the last minute and find somewhere to park. I understand that at SEC schools there isn't any showing up at the last minute, but those schools are in college towns not New Orleans. I have lots of friends with LSU season tickets that never ever make every single home game in a season, personally I'd just like to be able to make all of them.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

Wave755 wrote:
sader24 wrote:Jesus.
And hey, you know what, maybe we should even invite a Nicholls State flamer and start a Nicholls State Football Southland Conference thread? And, you never know, one day Nicholls State might even pass up Tulane academically?
I don't know when academics has anything to do with athletic success, certainly not in D1 or FBS or whatever it's being called. It's about the almighty dollar, and UL-L INVESTED in their athletics and as a result have a stronger program than Tulane does at this time. In case you forgot, they won the game on 12/21/13. Why be so condescending and play into the Tulane stereotype?

I agree his comments about UL-L's standing room has nothing to do with this thread. But no reason to be ugly.
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
sader24
Tsunami

Hopefully we have a standing offer in to those NIMBYs who are a pain in our a$$ to buy their homes.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

waveclem wrote:I got section 120, row N, seats 16-21! These seats previously required a donation but it must have been waived. As far as the parking goes I paid for a parking pass at Oschner Hospital on Jeff hgwy. As long as their is no hic-ups with the shuttle it should be a fairly straight shot down Jeff onto Claiborne ave. I'm surprised no one has mentioned River road by Cooter Brown's as an option. Their is ample (and legal) parking space along the railroad tracks. I think it would be fairly easy to park there and take a streetcar straight down St Charles and get dropped off at the University entrance. Just an idea.
Good idea. Cooter's should pay you royalties. Could do the same by Fat Harry's on the other end.
waveclem
Surge

winwave wrote:
waveclem wrote:I got section 120, row N, seats 16-21! These seats previously required a donation but it must have been waived. As far as the parking goes I paid for a parking pass at Oschner Hospital on Jeff hgwy. As long as their is no hic-ups with the shuttle it should be a fairly straight shot down Jeff onto Claiborne ave. I'm surprised no one has mentioned River road by Cooter Brown's as an option. Their is ample (and legal) parking space along the railroad tracks. I think it would be fairly easy to park there and take a streetcar straight down St Charles and get dropped off at the University entrance. Just an idea.
Good idea. Cooter's should pay you royalties. Could do the same by Fat Harry's on the other end.
I know me and my group are going to experiment with this for at least 1 game and see how it turns out. Would be great to start a new tradition by going to get a post game celebration dinner/drinks at Cooter Brown's or even O' Henry's.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

waveclem wrote:
winwave wrote:
I know me and my group are going to experiment with this for at least 1 game and see how it turns out. Would be great to start a new tradition by going to get a post game celebration dinner/drinks at Cooter Brown's or even O' Henry's.
I hear ya. Hopefully we win and those businesses wise up and offer specials w/your game ticket.
jonathanjoseph
Green Wave

T1B2TW wrote:
tpstulane wrote:I really believe Tulane's original design was to build a 30,000 seat, 35,000 capacity stadium when first proposed. The battles with the NIMBY's and the need to get started ASAP really really killed that plan. The height deal we made was a big blow. They held a gun to Tulane's head on that one. I believe one day we may be able to go higher but it could be a battle once that time comes. I guess baby steps for now.
A clear case of the tail wagging the dog.
+1.

It was more important to Scott Cowen to get credit than to do it right.
Wave755
Tsunami

DfromCT wrote:
Wave755 wrote:
sader24 wrote:Jesus.
And hey, you know what, maybe we should even invite a Nicholls State flamer and start a Nicholls State Football Southland Conference thread? And, you never know, one day Nicholls State might even pass up Tulane academically?
I don't know when academics has anything to do with athletic success, certainly not in D1 or FBS or whatever it's being called. It's about the almighty dollar, and UL-L INVESTED in their athletics and as a result have a stronger program than Tulane does at this time. In case you forgot, they won the game on 12/21/13. Why be so condescending and play into the Tulane stereotype?

I agree his comments about UL-L's standing room has nothing to do with this thread. But no reason to be ugly.
WHATEVER? :lol: