Yulman Stadium (Benson Field)

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
galvezwave
Swell

Judging from that pic, and I could be wrong, but it doesn't appear there are any obstructed views on the sides of the press box.

DfromCT
Wild Pelican

CoachBrockhoff wrote:Image

I would love to get this same shot during a game to use as the desktop on my computer.

I agree, especially with the checkerboard green and blue endzones, and ideally with the Wave celebrating a Touchdown!
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
JDTulane
Riptide

Please do something with those roofs Tulane
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

JDTulane wrote:Please do something with those roofs Tulane
JD...Tulane will do nothing regarding the roofs...they are the mindset they give the buildings "character"...besides, the dirt, grime, algae are most probably keeping the roofs from leaking !!!
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
CoachBrockhoff
High Tide

I wonder if I can get my lawn chair on top of the Wilson Bldg and watch from there.
JerseyWave
Riptide

Those rooftops are disgusting, an eyesore, and should be power washed. We should hope Cow/Dick Stadium will host some big Football games in the future bringing blimp coverage. It will be embarrassing if National TV camers show that filth.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

JerseyWave wrote:Those rooftops are disgusting, an eyesore, and should be power washed. We should hope Cow/Dick Stadium will host some big Football games in the future bringing blimp coverage. It will be embarrassing if National TV camers show that filth.
Wouldn't even need that, probably just spraying bleach around would do the trick. Or spray paint the roof tops white.
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

Boy would that be another way for Cow/Dick to reach into peoples wallets: Monetize the view from the rooftops. Sure, it would require some alterations (and permits), but if the rooftops at Wrigley Field are an indication, it could be a HUGE

I actually sent an email to RD suggesting Tulane monetize the rooftops similar to those outside of Wrigley field, and market them to corporations. Probably too late for this season, but could be a very cool tailgate
next year. We're all hoping next year, CJ's 4th, will be a top 25 type year, and those rooftops could bring in a lot of $$ if corporations can tailgate and watch from there. Might need some bleacher seating
and require approvals, but we own the buildings! F the NIMBY's!
OUG
Riptide

I can't imagine what the liability is like for that. The rooftop access probably has significant safety issues associated with it, and there would need to be significant investment in re-engineering them to solve issues such as ingress/egress, fire safety, fencing and restraints, and the ability of the roof to support large crowds and associated fixtures.

The houses across from Wrigley have actually built additional floors designed for this purpose so they can still meet code. It's not the "wildcat" situation it is presented as. They basically have a grandstand built on top of their house, with everything needed for traffic flow, rest rooms, etc.

If Tulane was going to do something like that -- it makes more sense to just build additional seating decks that rest on top of the roofs and have the structural engineering to support them.
NOLABigSteve
Riptide

Roll Wave!
Tulane University c/o 2003
Football Defensive End '99, '00, '01, '02
2002 Hawaii Bowl Champions
School of Engineering (Computer Science)
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Cool! A drone with a GoPro camera taking those pictures. Even the new Hertz Center roof is dirty looking.
Tulane Class of 1981
jonathanjoseph
Green Wave

http://www.nola.com/tulane/index.ssf/20 ... tadiu.html

Less than 5K tix remain? It doesn't look like this is just people throwing away money via donations. Maybe Tulane fans have just been waiting for Tulane to act like they care.

But the bottom line is that while Tulane is bragging about this, it will only raise the level of concern over the size of this stadium.
OUG
Riptide

jonathanjoseph wrote:http://www.nola.com/tulane/index.ssf/20 ... tadiu.html

Less than 5K tix remain? It doesn't look like this is just people throwing away money via donations. Maybe Tulane fans have just been waiting for Tulane to act like they care.

But the bottom line is that while Tulane is bragging about this, it will only raise the level of concern over the size of this stadium.
The great thing about your narrative Jonathan is that the facts always vindicate your POV. If the tickets weren't selling, it would be because the public was not interested in playing at Cow/Dick and was voting with their wallets. If the tickets do sell, you can say, "see, look at all our fans! The stadium is too small."

As a BS artist, your work belongs in museums.
jonathanjoseph
Green Wave

OUG wrote:

The great thing about your narrative Jonathan is that the facts always vindicate your POV. If the tickets weren't selling, it would be because the public was not interested in playing at Cow/Dick and was voting with their wallets. If the tickets do sell, you can say, "see, look at all our fans! The stadium is too small."

As a BS artist, your work belongs in museums.
As usual, you're just looking to pick a fight that you will inevitably lose.

That's very brave of you to condemn me for what I might have said about a hypothetical situation. Gosh, I was hypothetically such an @sshole. :roll:

Obviously my stance on the stadium being too small has changed with the tides. :roll: :roll: :roll:
Fred Dowler
Riptide

For the first few games there's bound to be strong crowds and much interest -- and much of that because of the novelty of the situation.

The sign of whether the ticket purchases are heavily out-of-towners who might be coming to only a few games a season would be whether you see actual attendance being sustained and especially if the season goes not so swimmingly.

But being able to come out at a time like right now and talk up how only a small number of tickets remain available is exactly what the TU powers-who-are were wanting. I've maintained all along that what they've been foaming at the mouth to be able to do is be able to beat people over the head with "tickets are going fast...you'd better hurry!!" And perhaps they've gotten there, as they've wanted, indeed by dramatically reducing the the stadium size. And then, really, for a stadium of 25,000 seating, for there to be significantly more than 5000 tickets still available would be very negative statement about the public feeling about TU football. No doubt what else the Wilson Center people are probably nervously thinking right now, as well, is "well, here we are, less than two months away...this baby had just better sell out!!"
Tulane sports: small football stadium, very small basketball arena, w̶i̶n̶n̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶p̶r̶o̶g̶r̶a̶m̶s̶, h̶o̶n̶e̶s̶t̶y̶ ̶a̶n̶d̶ ̶a̶c̶c̶o̶u̶n̶t̶a̶b̶i̶l̶i̶t̶y̶ , but, hey, now there's tailgating.
lurker123
Swell

tpstulane wrote:Cool! A drone with a GoPro camera taking those pictures. Even the new Hertz Center roof is dirty looking.
I assume you are using "GoPro" generically. That looks mighty large even without the drone to be propped on a ski helmet.

Meanwhile if in fact Tulane does have hard sellouts at Yulman (regardless of its stated capacity) then you will soon see folks hanging out on Wilson and Reilly rooftops. Keep that up for a period of games then maybe like Wrigley adjacent apartment houses, you will see bleachers up there as well? At that point Tulane will keep the building roofs painted.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

The days where you could walk up and get a handfull of free tickets is over. First off because now many tickets require a donation. Second there is now a supply vs demand issue in favor of Tulane. Third we have a new stadium and are coming off a bowl season. I'm a little concerned about select a seat day. I understand you will have to do it online in a certain 10 min window. What happens if you can't do it doing your given time? Do you lose your place and someone with less loyalty points would move ahead. Tulane has outsourced this process and doesn't seem to know the answer. Many people I know will be on vacation. They will have to find a Internet connection at a certain time while on a flight, cruise or beach. Those that don't have Internet will have to go to the Wilson Center and get on a computer there. I just see this system being like Obama care signups. People not getting in to the system are going to be angry. It's going to be like trying to get floor seats for a big name concert act. Ticketmaster opens up sales at 9am and you and 1,000 others try to get the best seats still available. I just don't trust this one bit. Those that live out town and have to select online is one thing. But those that live here should be able to walk in the stadium and select a seat. This online selecting is going to blowup IMO.
Tulane Class of 1981
wavemania
Surge

I agree with TPS. When talking to the Ticket office rep, I asked him with my job I have no access to the internet till I am off of work and back home. So if my time comes up during the middle of the day, I am basically screwed until I get home. At that point, my seat selection will probably suck. But then again, this is Tulane. Nothing this administration does shocks me anymore.
ArtVandelay
Ripple

But those that live here should be able to walk in the stadium and select a seat. This online selecting is going to blowup IMO.

Totally agree with this. When I heard about select-a-seat day, I thought I would be able to go to Yulman and sit in different seats to get a feel for the view and pick my seats. Last time I talked to a ticket rep they couldn't even tell me how many rows were in the section I wanted to sit in. Online selecting is a pitiful idea.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

When do they plan to hold select a seat day? I'm contemplating the $200 reserved seats on the visiting side.
Show Me
Tsunami

I agree with tps as well. Basically Tulane has your money and donations well before you can even select your seat, now we have to "trust" them getting this right. Most places you pick a seat then pay up. You pick your seat first on Ticketmaster then you pay if you like it, if not you're not stuck. Will I be able to get my donation and money back if I don't like my actual seat when I'm in the stadium? Was the loyalty point system just a tool to lure people into believing that their loyalty would be rewarded? How do I know if someone with less points has gone ahead of me in this process? It was stated that Tulane was waiting for the turf to be put down so people could see what actual yard line they would be sitting at.
We were able to physically go inside of Turchin and select our actual seats. The same thing should be done with Yulman on select a seat day. This is going to be a disaster especially with the old-timers in our fan base that are not computer savvy and can't make in down to the Wilson Center at a select time..
10thman
Trickle

felt the need the chime in a bit...

Because the stadium will not obtain its occupancy permit from the fire marshall until mid-august at best, they cannot have a select-a-seat event inside the stadium. By the time they get the permit, it will be too late in the game to begin assigning 20k+ season tickets. They are hamstrung a bit because of the 6 month nimby delay of the construction. Had that not occurred and the stadium was done in march-april, then they could have hosted this event inside the stadium.

I dont like the setup either, but their options are limited without a completed stadium. They may be able to do one next year for people who want to move their seats.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

10thman wrote:felt the need the chime in a bit...

Because the stadium will not obtain its occupancy permit from the fire marshall until mid-august at best, they cannot have a select-a-seat event inside the stadium. By the time they get the permit, it will be too late in the game to begin assigning 20k+ season tickets. They are hamstrung a bit because of the 6 month nimby delay of the construction. Had that not occurred and the stadium was done in march-april, then they could have hosted this event inside the stadium.

I dont like the setup either, but their options are limited without a completed stadium. They may be able to do one next year for people who want to move their seats.
Thanks for that explanation. I hope the online thing goes smooth. Just got off the phone with Big Mike, he suggested then why not set something up at Turchin with poster boards of each section of Yulman stadium. Let the people that want those sections gather in that particular area. From there let them pick based on their points.
That way you could compartmentalize the process much better.
Tulane Class of 1981
DrBox
Riptide

10thman wrote:felt the need the chime in a bit...

Well they didn't need to rush this either. Dickson is so limited that he willfully cancelled the G Tech series to rush all of this (thankfully Cowen rescued it). We could have played a couple of early games in the Dome, like Southeastern (who cares; and we shouldn't be playing them anyway). So now we are essentially stuck with our seats for years (most are bought with 5 year commitments).
And they cut a bad deal with the NIMBYs anyway. The best side of the stadium is the one with the least seats and zero room to grow.
FWIW, I've had season tickets for 30 years and no one has called me.
wavemania
Surge

With so many dang delays and problems, I knew they wouldn't make the deadline. Should have stayed one more year in the dome! Another F up by Dickson. :evil: