Yulman Stadium (Benson Field)

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
Eaglewave
Swell

wavedat wrote:
Eaglewave wrote:Saw this the other day about Jackson State:

http://www.clarionledger.com/article/20 ... ed-stadium
Wow

That was my first response.

Ball Sumrall!
HSV
High Tide

I am glad that there is a web cam...it will be nice to have the ability to see this facility as it progresses.

I have a question to those more in the know of construction however. Maybe it is just me, but for a project that is to be completed for fall 2014 (with TU saying they are about 1 month behind schedule), is there a lack of urgency/progress to date on this project?

For every time I log on, I don't see anyone when I get to work in the morning (7:15cdt) nor during the course of the day do I see many workers. Maybe a half dozen or so. Once again, maybe I'm catching it at bad times, but I always tend to see a few parked vehicles and not much movement/action on the screen. Shouldn't there be more workers there at this time?

I ask because I sincerely hope that since they are doing this project, it needs to be ready for next August (if not earlier so the team can at least practice on it some).

Thoughts?
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

HSV, I'm like you, not a construction expert. But it seems to me like there's a very small crew (krewe?) at work and that this preliminary stage is going very, very slowly.
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
HSV
High Tide

I'm glad I'm not the only one who thinks more workers/more work should be seen'out there right now. Thanks for responding.

If any knows anyone who is a contactor or has knowledge of this specific project/timeline I would really appreciate it if you would comment on how things are progressing. If this is the norm for these kind of things then great. But I would like to know from those more knowledgeable if at this pace the project can make it in time.
green4life
Low Tide

Well, it's a sunny non Sunday in New Orleans and the construction activity at the new Yulman Stadium is....non existent.

How do you get behind schedule on a construction project in a city which is subject to monsoon rains....by not getting ahead when you can.

"Delayed by weather" we've heard it all before.

They should be out there getting ahead of it. Sat March 9th, 2013- Aug 30 2014: 539 days to build an entire stadium and infrastructure, fixtures, plumbing, trimming, electronics, video suites, scoreboards, seats, locker rooms, field grass installation,

plus time for any unforseen remediation.

Ok get some urgency. need to see some ants out there.

I'm sure there in the Integrated Master Schedule. Lets hope so.
Fan since 1965 and was at the 14-0 Victory over LSU. It can be done.
Krewe of Ham & Eggs
High Tide

green4life wrote:Well, it's a sunny non Sunday in New Orleans and the construction activity at the new Yulman Stadium is....non existent.

How do you get behind schedule on a construction project in a city which is subject to monsoon rains....by not getting ahead when you can.

They should be out there getting ahead of it. Sat March 9th, 2013- Aug 30 2014: 539 days to build an entire stadium and infrastructure, fixtures, plumbing, trimming, electronics, video suites, scoreboards, seats, locker rooms, field grass installation,

I'm sure there in the Integrated Master Schedule. Lets hope so.
it probably has something to do with "we don't want to upset the neighbors who already hate this stadium by driving piles early in the morning on a saturday", which is ridiculous considering when i lived in Monroe Hall they didnt seem to have a problem firing up the pile hammer at 8am on a saturday when they expanded the B-school.
Tulane Class of 2004
ExileWave
Surge

Krewe of Ham & Eggs wrote:
green4life wrote:Well, it's a sunny non Sunday in New Orleans and the construction activity at the new Yulman Stadium is....non existent.

I'm sure there in the Integrated Master Schedule. Lets hope so.[/quot

it probably has something to do with "we don't want to upset the neighbors who already hate this stadium by driving piles early in the morning on a saturday", which is ridiculous considering when i lived in Monroe Hall they didnt seem to have a problem firing up the pile hammer at 8am on a saturday when they expanded the B-school.

Aluminum bleachers can go up fast...look at Turchin. Just kidding, I hope ;) ;)
green4life
Low Tide

Lots of pilings went in today with the use of a 2nd pIle driver. appears to be in the Downtown Lake side corner area.
dpm wave
Swell

green4life wrote:Lots of pilings went in today with the use of a 2nd pIle driver
green4life
Low Tide

thanks for making the whole thread NSFW or NSFH.

edit:
I FIFmyself and made dpm wave a foe. so those post don't show up.

now back to stadium progress.
ajcalhoun
Swell

green4life wrote:thanks for making the whole thread NSFW or NSFH.
I never thought about that. Would the board like me to change my avi? I don't want to cause trouble for anyone.
God Bless Everyone!
JDTulane
Riptide

I don't mind it when they're in sigs because I can turn sigs off but your avi does make it hard to browse at work (like I am now... shhh!)
Bigschtick
Riptide

JDTulane wrote:I don't mind it when they're in sigs because I can turn sigs off but your avi does make it hard to browse at work (like I am now... shhh!)

get back to work! no surfing on the job or the bosses will give you the heave ho!
Speak softly but carry a bigschtick! In Sumrall We Trust!
wavedat
Swell

There is only $7 million in hand. The stadium will not SEAT 25,000. It's the disaster most expected.
Tulane didn't have a stadium issue it had a program and facilities issues. To the new President- we want a new AD , a football facility and an IPF. We want top 25 programs in football and basketball the only two sports that count.
wavedat
Swell

Prolcal wrote

Folks, a proposed plan went out from [email protected] to those of you who expressed interest. One e-mail address bounced back, so if you asked to be on the list but got nothing from TT (e.g. [email protected]), e-mail TT.

Also, if you are e-mailing jay laypeyre, PLEASE copy TT (at [email protected]) so that we can create a RECORD further showing that the Tulane Board it utterly non-responsive and not willing to even make inquiries when it would conflict with Cowen.

Finally, it seems that some of you believe that the new Tulane stadium is not going to be funded by the roughly $40 M bond issuance (e.g. debt) that Tulane just undertook. You, my friends, have been DUPED. Whoever told you that the stadium is NOT going to be funded (at least in part) by the huge debt undertaking by Tulane is NOT being honest.
Last edited by wavedat on Fri Apr 12, 2013 1:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tulane didn't have a stadium issue it had a program and facilities issues. To the new President- we want a new AD , a football facility and an IPF. We want top 25 programs in football and basketball the only two sports that count.
wavedat
Swell

Prolcal wrote

Two big things:
1. I cannot figure out how to post/upload Tulane's most recent debt issuance prospectus (which is current as of Feb. 13, 2013 or so, so it reveals Tulane's most current intentions to fund the new stadium with DEBT). I'll try to cut-and-paste the relevant section. If I have to type it in here, it is going to take some time, so the fellow who is criticizing my time response can shut the eff up. Thanks, buddy - I am not on this website 24-7 - sorry for any inconvenience this might cause you. Anyway, the prospectus makes clear (a) that Tulane does NOT have the donations in hand and cannot guarantee that they will all come in to pay for the stadium - Tulane has pledges from some donors but anyone who knows anything about fundraising knows that you cannot bank on money that has only been PLEDGED and not paid, and (b) even if every single penny comes in, Tulane is still going to build the stadium using the debt money - they have no obligation to use the pledged money (if it ever comes in) to "repay" itself for using the debt money (how the heck would that even work??).
2. Moody's, whom my pal quotes on this thread, was recently made aware that Tulane appears not to have been fully candid and transparent with Moody's. It is entirely possible that Moody's will put Tulane "under review," which is actually *worse* than Tulane's current Moody's outlook of "negative."

Scott Cowen and his administration (with the tacit approval of Cowen's rubber-stamping Tulane Board, Chaired by long-time Cowen pal Jay Lapeyre) are not 100% honest and transparent. Didn't we learn this when the US World and News Reports recently realized that Tulane's Business School (which is the school on whose faculty Cowen technically is affiliated at Tulane (in addition to being president of the entire university)) had LIED to the USWNR in order to get higher rankings? Tulane's Business School FABRICATED data that they then gave to USWNR in order for Tulane's B-School to get - dishonestly - higher rankings. The result is that Tulane's B School has now been DROPPED from the USWNR rankings, I believe. I am not saying that Cowen himself penned the fabricated data that was given to USWNR, but if you think that his influence was not involved, I have a bridge to sell to you.

When it is made clear that the tenor at the very top is one of deceit, lack of transparency, doing what one wants (rather than what is in the best interest of the INSTITUTION), etc., the people at the lower levels of the organization learn to behave in a similar manner. According to organizational behavior experts, the "tone at the top" principle is very very real. What the leaders (e.g. Cowen) are doing, you will see repeated by the lower-level folks (e.g. Deans, managers, supervisors, etc.) throughout the organization. I blame the Tulane Board (and Jay Lapeyre at [email protected]) for allowing this type of garbage. If Cowen is not forced to be fully honest and transparent, how can we be surprised that Tulane lies to USWNR?
Last edited by wavedat on Fri Apr 12, 2013 1:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
wavedat
Swell

Prolcal wrote

Hey, Murphwave. That money that Greer (Cowen pal) is alleged to have given - do you see it documented anywhere in Tulane's financial statements for that time period? Riiiiiight. There is a difference between "giving" money (e.g. announcing a pledge) and actually PAYING the cash (which can happen years later, at a donor's death (if they still have the money), or not at all).

I hereby pledge to give murphwave and gotula.net $5B.
(upon my death, subject to revocation at my option or the option of my descendants, assuming the money is available upon my death after my surviving descendants are given $3B first, assuming gotula.net still exists upon my death and gets more than 12 visitors per day, etc.....)

Let's call the media TODAY to have a conference TOMORROW at which we announce this wonderful donation that I am making of $5B!!
wavedat
Swell

Prolcal wrote

Green Wave wrote:
$12M was funded by the revenue bond of 2013. The amount that has not been raised yet. No more.
The reason you are having problems with downloading that prospectus is because it does not exist in the form you want it to.

Tulane's prospectus (e.g. bond disclosure document) is on the website emma.msrb.org. On page 10 of prospectus, Tulane states that the cost of the stadium is $62M. Tulane currently has $7M cash in hand from donations. Stay with me on the higher math, Green Wave:
$62 - $7 = $55 Million

So, Green Wave, $55M from the bond offering is going to be used for the stadium completion. $55 Million.

Tulane states in the prospectus the following:
"Currently, the University has on hand approximately $7.0 million in donations that it will devote to pay Stadium Costs after the application of [$47 Million from the bonds]." (Tulane indicates it is hoping to raise another $8 M in donations before the stadium is finished. $47M (from the bonds) plus $7M plus $8M from donations = $62M.)

Green Wave, you can send your apology to me via Private Message!
wavedat
Swell

Prolcal wrote

Green Wave, did you graduate from Tulane?
I gave you the link to Emma, which is the website where you can find the prospectus. Type in Tulane in the search box. Go to the 3/5/2013 prospectus. Then go to page 10 and read it. Sound out the big words or ask me if you need help. Or just click here:
http://emma.msrb.org/SecurityView/Secur ... 2ECD37BC15
Download the first individual PDF - the 3/5 prospectus.
Last edited by wavedat on Fri Apr 12, 2013 1:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
wavedat
Swell

Prolcal wrote

Green Wave wrote:
...This guy is worse than the NIMBYS and clearly has an agenda against not just the current admin but Tulane as a whole. You deserve each other....

Dear Green Wave:
1. I have not yet received my apology from you, for accusing me of using smoke and mirrors, while it is now clear that I was correct.
2. I don't think you should leave this board/forum.
3. I do not have an agenda against Tulane. I have an agenda FOR Tulane, in support of Tulane. I have been 100% transparent about that point, and I am happy to reiterate it here: I think the lack of accountability of the Tulane Board of Administrators (Chaired by Jay Lapeyre and soon to be chaired by Berger (Darryl?)) and the fact that the Board acts as a rubber-stamp for Cowen (which means the Board utterly lacks independence) are GRAVELY disturbing facts that undermine Tulane's ability to be as successful and well-regarded as possible. The problems that Tulane has had with its athletics program since Cowen drove Sandy Barbour out in one of Cowen's first non-transparent, absolutist, sexist, unilateral acts (as I understand it back in 1998/1999) are just a SYMPTOM of the bigger, more widespread problem with Tulane's lack of transparency, woefully inadequate institutional governance, and egregious conflicts of interest. Other symptoms include:
* the horrifying RAPE problem on campus and the fact that Cowen's Administration interferes with the independent functioning of the Tulane University Police Department officers. (The Department of Education recently went after YALE for exactly this type of problem, yet Tulane's Board is indifferent to the issue.)
* the utter lack of healthy faculty governance, which gravely impairs Tulane's ability to attract and retain a diverse, top-flight faculty. At least one of Tulane's accrediting agencies has raised this issue with concern at least twice, which means that Tulane's accreditation could conceivably be jeopardized. Moreover, it was only a few years ago that censure was finally lifted due to the way that Cowen treated TENURED faculty after Katrina.
* the disturbing fact that Tulane and its Law School have been subject to a government investigation for roughly four YEARS (ongoing!!) due to the way that Tulane has treated those with disabilities and/or minorities. (Mike Bernstein, Tulane's Provost (and Cowen minion), and the Dean of the Law School (who was picked as Dean by Cowen after Cowen drove away the Law School's first choice for Dean, who was a WOMAN) were required to appear before the federal government for questioning exactly one year ago today! Tulane's own longtime lawyer admitted she had never experienced such a thing before - that's how bad the problem is!) This, by the way, is after the government stepped in roughly a decade or so ago to FORCE Tulane to fix the disparity (which has since recurred) with the way that Tulane pays its women as compared to its men.

Do you want me to keep going?
TURVS71
Swell

Just going to say this. Before I left the banking industry, my field of expertise was in public finance/ bond debt, etc. I worked with many bond issuing authorities, Tulane included, airport, City of N.O etc. Some of you are reading more into the "information" than is actually there .
'Here's a song for the Olive and the Blue"
mbawavefan12
Tsunami

They have the pledges in hand and it takes time, many would prefer we delay the project until the cash is in hand, I do not. That being said, this is another example of the lack of transparency from the admin. They just treat fans and alums like fools, which maybe we are? They just make an already bad situation worse by not leveling with us. Seriously, just tell us the number of seats, I get the construction issues but the difference will only be +/1 100 seats. Just tell us the parking/shuttle situation? I don't know, maybe it is too early to answer these questions.

Does anyone know the interest rate on the bonds. more specifically, how our interest rate compares to other similar projects, that would be a good approximation of our financial risk/health.
Bigschtick
Riptide

We are fools for buying into the admin crap for so many years because
we love our university but which has now been captured and dominated by
just one old gasbag egotist who seems to think, he, and he alone, knows
whats good for this university. He and his yes men and women are destroying
our school.
Speak softly but carry a bigschtick! In Sumrall We Trust!
billow
High Tide

I wish to throw some other type ideology, is that maybe the parties who pledged the money.... are the same people who may be buying the bonds.
mbawavefan12
Tsunami

billow wrote:I wish to throw some other type ideology, is that maybe the parties who pledged the money.... are the same people who may be buying the bonds.
Then TU would be paying them interest for no reason and paying them the coupon, someone with more knowledge would have to explain how that would work. I mean TU would then be paying the coupon + interest and then the person would turn around and pay the coupon back to TU? Not to mention I do not think the tax benefit would be the same.