Yulman Stadium (Benson Field)

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
Fred Dowler
Riptide

sader24 wrote:I just noticed something, maybe someone can enlighten me on it. Would it be safe to say that had we not built the Hertz Center we would've had alot more room for this stadium? I dont think any of you who support this stadium are any less Tulane fans than me or anyone else for that matter. I just cant for the life of me understand how you hear what Cowen says and are seeing this stadium in all its unimpressiveness come to fruition and still think it's being done right or even a good idea. I'm just confused, he just openly admitted he's building a stadium that will be at the bottom of our conference. Where are we going? What are we shooting for? What is the point of all this? Everything I see points to a President who wants to play in the FCS. What are ya'll seeing that I'm not?
That's a major part of the issue right there.

There's just not enough space on that end of the campus that would allow them to just keep on building project after project, be it bball gyms or weight rooms or baseball or dorms or parking garages -- and the whole area's already quite well built up -- and not have to make a trade-off, i.e. if they build Project A then doing so rules out building Project B. But they're still trying to make this stadium fit into the space where expansion, I suspect, is almost out of the question (and, as they said, that's not a problem) and there's NO room for extra parking.

Tulane sports: small football stadium, very small basketball arena, w̶i̶n̶n̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶p̶r̶o̶g̶r̶a̶m̶s̶, h̶o̶n̶e̶s̶t̶y̶ ̶a̶n̶d̶ ̶a̶c̶c̶o̶u̶n̶t̶a̶b̶i̶l̶i̶t̶y̶ , but, hey, now there's tailgating.
msdos
Swell

tps, are the greenbackers still by and large in support of the stadium?
murphwave
High Tide

I get all of the frustration, but why would any Univ President come out and advertise future (likely controversial) plans for expansion when he is trying to shield criticism from the present day design (30K)? I still believe that once the stadium exists, it will be easier to push through expansion. In an ideal world, we would expand right away, but our fan base doesn't warrant that at this time. As long as Conference Commissioners know the true expansion number, then I don't care what I know at this point.

In terms of the Hertz center, it was built with the ability to be used as a foundation for future expansion, I'd imagine the Reily center could also hold a second deck. Is the space tight? Absolutely, but it isn't too tight for expansion. Parking is an issue, but no more than other schools. I recently attended a Univ of Florida game and had to park a mile away and walk.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

msdos wrote:tps, are the greenbackers still by and large in support of the stadium?
Let me put it this way, I can't speak for the group as a whole as to the support of the stadium, but I know our entire group, "Support's Tulane athletics and has fun doing it". How's that for being politically correct......... ;) ;)
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Those saying Tulane has won are clearly wrong. The mayor said he won't issue permits till Tulane signed an enforceable agreement that meets the neighbors needs. Cowen agreed to that publicly. Another important factor is that while the commission voted against the IZD they made it clear they did that b/c they knew it was unconstituional. They also made it clear they sided w/the neighbors and had other weapons in their arsenal to control the project. This atrocity of a stadium just keeps getting worse.
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

murphwave wrote:I get all of the frustration, but why would any Univ President come out and advertise future (likely controversial) plans for expansion when he is trying to shield criticism from the present day design (30K)? I still believe that once the stadium exists, it will be easier to push through expansion. In an ideal world, we would expand right away, but our fan base doesn't warrant that at this time. As long as Conference Commissioners know the true expansion number, then I don't care what I know at this point.

In terms of the Hertz center, it was built with the ability to be used as a foundation for future expansion, I'd imagine the Reily center could also hold a second deck. Is the space tight? Absolutely, but it isn't too tight for expansion. Parking is an issue, but no more than other schools. I recently attended a Univ of Florida game and had to park a mile away and walk.
Murph you can get away w/lies like that on the other site but not here. It's 25,000 SEATS and in actuality will probably be a few thousand less. As far as SC playing it close to the vest that's BS also. He has agreed to signing an enforceable agreement and that will include a firm final number. So the he's playing it close to the vest so he can stick it to them later argument has been completely and utterly discredited.
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
Fred Dowler
Riptide

murphwave wrote:I get all of the frustration, but why would any Univ President come out and advertise future (likely controversial) plans for expansion when he is trying to shield criticism from the present day design (30K)? I still believe that once the stadium exists, it will be easier to push through expansion. In an ideal world, we would expand right away, but our fan base doesn't warrant that at this time. As long as Conference Commissioners know the true expansion number, then I don't care what I know at this point.

In the cold light of reality and what kind of interest there is likely to be in this conference, i.e. regular game attendance, once any novelty/curiousity effect of a new stadium fades, they will doing pretty well to be drawing between 15,000-20,000 a game and I think you've seen now an honest admission that the powers-who-are are pretty content with that.

Some people may be hoping that the powers-who-are are only trying to fool everyone and that there really are definite future plans to expand by 10,000 seats or so but that's more pure hopefulness and speculation than any notion based on substance and I just cannot see it, given, as I have long held, that even though I am no architect I can still see for myself that there is no way that this space where the project is proposed can accomodate it, in addition to that the demand is not likely to be there.

So there are going to be significant stadium structures built all over and atop existing buildings? Where's the $100 million for something like that going to come from seeing as how this is only going to be a $50 million stadium to begin with?

The stadium-supporter crowd needs to face up to things and see the handwriting on the wall.

The project is what it is and people have been sold a bill of goods.

Moreover, Cowen is probably going to start thinking about his retirement pretty soon or else not very long after the facility would be completed and thus not be involved in any fundraising campaign that would be necessary for some kind of major expansion.
Last edited by Fred Dowler on Thu Jul 12, 2012 12:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tulane sports: small football stadium, very small basketball arena, w̶i̶n̶n̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶p̶r̶o̶g̶r̶a̶m̶s̶, h̶o̶n̶e̶s̶t̶y̶ ̶a̶n̶d̶ ̶a̶c̶c̶o̶u̶n̶t̶a̶b̶i̶l̶i̶t̶y̶ , but, hey, now there's tailgating.
murphwave
High Tide

winwave wrote:

Murph you can get away w/lies like that on the other site but not here. It's 25,000 SEATS and in actuality will probably be a few thousand less. As far as SC playing it close to the vest that's BS also. He has agreed to signing an enforceable agreement and that will include a firm final number. So the he's playing it close to the vest so he can stick it to them later argument has been completely and utterly discredited.
What have I lied about? Just using the words from the Forum last night which was 30K. The Hertz design was made with football stadium in mind (hence the football suites access in the architectural rendering)
Did I miss something about signing a binding agreement about size? I thought the binding agreement was going to be related to noise, gameday issues, and use.
sader24
Tsunami

The 30,000 is incorrect. Seating capacity is 25,000 and we've heard reports as low as 23,500. Why do people keep giving Cowen the benefit of the doubt? He's been screwing us for 15 years. It's unbelievable to me.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

The stadium will seat 25,000 at best. It's a lie to imply 30,000. As for SRO for 5k that's a lie besides the fact that 5k are not willing to stand and watch. They claim the Hertz center was built for that but have indicated that would only allow 5,000 more seats. The written agreement will include a number. That's the critical issue to these people and they will get it in writing or there will be no permits. The cone of silence has been lifted by outsiders.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
jonathanjoseph
Green Wave

For the sake of Tulane's future, folks like yourself need to come to terms with the reality of this situation and not the fantasy version which you wish to be true. You need to stop thinking about the creative narrative under which this makes sense to you and start looking at the cold hard reality of Scott Cowen's tenure and vision for Tulane.

Here are a variety of problems with your post:

1) Conference commissioners will laugh at any expansion number. They would require at least 50K and probably outright ask that Tulane play in the Superdome and certainly aren't interested in any football program that thinks they are 7-10 years from being average. The only number the conference commissioners care about is the $50M stadium cost, and that's too small by orders of magnitude.

2) No it would not be ideal to "expand right away". If you have to expand a major capital project right away then you've had a massive failure of planning. That's not the way professionals and responsible construction projects operate. Even if the stadium needed to be expanded within 3-4 years, that's still a massive failure. Under no circumstances would this stadium be ready for major college football until the 2020 decade begins and that's a direct reflection of Cowen's outlook.

3) The words out of Cowen's mouth tell the story. He thinks Tulane would be "fortunate" to sell out this 25k/30k stadium. Scott Cowen doesn't think highly enough of Tulane to think that expansion is a real serious opportunity, and if so he's thinking more like 30K seats.

You say "I still believe that" but you must start looking at the reality of this situation. The Tulane community NEEDS to stop day dreaming about what they think this stadium is going to be and start giving a hard look towards what it is going to be, which is a major problem for the future of Tulane University and the football program's status as a D1A entity.
Fred Dowler
Riptide

murphwave wrote:
winwave wrote:

What have I lied about? Just using the words from the Forum last night which was 30K. The Hertz design was made with football stadium in mind (hence the football suites access in the architectural rendering)
Did I miss something about signing a binding agreement about size? I thought the binding agreement was going to be related to noise, gameday issues, and use.
Facts are one thing. Stadium-booster crowd spin and propaganda/hopeful speculation about the capacity and expansion are another. Anyone with any sense can take a look in person at the proposed site and easily see how problematic it is for a full-size Div. 1 FBS major conference football stadium.

Another fact: LSU is spending $100 million just to add a few thousand end-zone seats while the truth comes out that Tulane is spending only $50 million on this project of an entire stadium.
NOLABigSteve
Tsunami

I'm torn on the stadium, but this is a fact:
The Hertz design was made with football stadium in mind (hence the football suites access in the architectural rendering).
Roll Wave!
Tulane University c/o 2003
Football Defensive End '99, '00, '01, '02
2002 Hawaii Bowl Champions
School of Engineering (Computer Science)
jonathanjoseph
Green Wave

tpstulane wrote:
msdos wrote:tps, are the greenbackers still by and large in support of the stadium?
Let me put it this way, I can't speak for the group as a whole as to the support of the stadium, but I know our entire group, "Support's Tulane athletics and has fun doing it". How's that for being politically correct......... ;) ;)
Being politically correct is why Cowen's employment has become a lifetime appointment and Tulane football is in a tight spot. The Greenbackers should cancel their donation check and speak up.
Fred Dowler
Riptide

jonathanjoseph wrote:

For the sake of Tulane's future, folks like yourself need to come to terms with the reality of this situation and not the fantasy version which you wish to be true. You need to stop thinking about the creative narrative under which this makes sense to you and start looking at the cold hard reality of Scott Cowen's tenure and vision for Tulane.

Here are a variety of problems with your post:

1) Conference commissioners will laugh at any expansion number. They would require at least 50K and probably outright ask that Tulane play in the Superdome and certainly aren't interested in any football program that thinks they are 7-10 years from being average. The only number the conference commissioners care about is the $50M stadium cost, and that's too small by orders of magnitude.

2) No it would not be ideal to "expand right away". If you have to expand a major capital project right away then you've had a massive failure of planning. That's not the way professionals and responsible construction projects operate. Even if the stadium needed to be expanded within 3-4 years, that's still a massive failure. Under no circumstances would this stadium be ready for major college football until the 2020 decade begins and that's a direct reflection of Cowen's outlook.

3) The words out of Cowen's mouth tell the story. He thinks Tulane would be "fortunate" to sell out this 25k/30k stadium. Scott Cowen doesn't think highly enough of Tulane to think that expansion is a real serious opportunity, and if so he's thinking more like 30K seats.

You say "I still believe that" but you must start looking at the reality of this situation. The Tulane community NEEDS to stop day dreaming about what they think this stadium is going to be and start giving a hard look towards what it is going to be, which is a major problem for the future of Tulane University and the football program's status as a D1A entity.
Absolutely.

If there's talk of expansion within a couple of years or so after the facility then that's definitely very poor planning.
NOLABigSteve
Tsunami

jonathanjoseph wrote:The Greenbackers should cancel their donation check and speak up.
Perhaps you should join The Greenbackers before you tell them how to direct their donation.
Roll Wave!
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

NOLABigSteve wrote:
jonathanjoseph wrote:The Greenbackers should cancel their donation check and speak up.
Perhaps you should join The Greenbackers before you tell them how to direct their donation.
Open for anyone to join. $50 bucks a year. It's frustrating as we all know about how we've reached "rock bottom" in athletics. Unfortunately only failure in fund raising or academics could force changes. Athletics will always take a back seat to that.
Last edited by tpstulane on Thu Jul 12, 2012 12:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tulane Class of 1981
JerseyWave
Riptide

It has come out that the Stadium is actually going to cost $50 million with the additional $10 million being used to relocate the track and tennis courts. A $50 million stadium is an absolute JOKE. What is this stadium going to be made out of...cardboard and paper mache? Most schools are spending over $100 million to renovate and expand existing stadiums and Tulane is building one from scratch for half that amount. A High School Stadium? This is turning into a colossal blunder!
Fred Dowler
Riptide

NOLABigSteve wrote:I'm torn on the stadium, but this is a fact:
The Hertz design was made with football stadium in mind (hence the football suites access in the architectural rendering).
That's understood but what I am getting at is the supposed ease of constructing what would be a major component of stadium expansion around and on top of an existing structure.
NOLABigSteve
Tsunami

JerseyWave wrote:It has come out that the Stadium is actually going to cost $50 million with the additional $10 million being used to relocate the track and tennis courts. A $50 million stadium is an absolute JOKE. What is this stadium going to be made out of...cardboard and paper mache? Most schools are spending over $100 million to renovate and expand existing stadiums and Tulane is building one from scratch for half that amount. A High School Stadium? This is turning into a colossal blunder!
That's what still baffles me. I'm curious to see how far over budget this project goes, or if it does stay within the $50 million.

Unless we get students to donate their community service requirement to building the stadium. :lol:
Roll Wave!
RWR
Swell

It appears people can wipe from their minds the slick rendering of the stadium that's been used thus far. In every recent public outing Tulane has said there will be 8 lightpoles. So no overhang w/lights that would have provided cover.
Last edited by RWR on Thu Jul 12, 2012 1:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

RWR wrote:It appears people can wipe from their minds the slick renering of the stadium that's been used thus far. In every recent public outing Tulane has said there will be 8 lightpoles. So no overhang w/lights that would have provided cover.
+1
I can only go by what occurred with Turchin. Cost went up, quality went down............
With delay's and only $50MM I'm sure we'll get the Turchin version of a football stadium, metal walkways and seating areas, fake bricks, etc. It's not going to look like the renderings. Turchin's actual from it's rendering was much different (covered roof, concrete, real brick etc). Even Tad Gormley is all concrete and real brick.
Tulane Class of 1981
RWR
Swell

NOLABigSteve wrote:
JerseyWave wrote:It has come out that the Stadium is actually going to cost $50 million with the additional $10 million being used to relocate the track and tennis courts. A $50 million stadium is an absolute JOKE. What is this stadium going to be made out of...cardboard and paper mache? Most schools are spending over $100 million to renovate and expand existing stadiums and Tulane is building one from scratch for half that amount. A High School Stadium? This is turning into a colossal blunder!
That's what still baffles me. I'm curious to see how far over budget this project goes, or if it does stay within the $50 million.

Unless we get students to donate their community service requirement to building the stadium. :lol:
You guys are on a roll.
sader24
Tsunami

What I meant by the Hertz Center Location was that if it wasnt there couldnt you have moved the field further towards the middle instead of right up against the neighbors yards, thereby killing the 20 ft away argument and possibly allowing more even expansion on both sides? Not that it matters, at $50 mill this stadium is going to be a miniature piece of sh*t. Did someone say "Tad Gormley" in this thread? I wonder what $50 mill could do at Tad Gormley.