Yulman Stadium (Benson Field)

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
sader24
Tsunami

I'll refrain from posting anything about the Stadium until we hear the actual plans, no reason to start a lights uproar if there might be lights. I'm kind of conditioned at this point to always expect the worst from Tulane.

tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

sader24 wrote:I'll refrain from posting anything about the Stadium until we hear the actual plans, no reason to start a lights uproar if there might be lights. I'm kind of conditioned at this point to always expect the worst from Tulane.
Same here. Going to wait and see for sure. But you will see light poles in the drawing.
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
kookingkajun
Low Tide

High Schools can only use a stadium when Tulane is away. That's why TG would hurt N.O highschools. On home date the opposing team goes through a walk through so no game on Friday. I firmly believe with little or no protected parking night game crowds would be thin. I wouldn't walk 1/4 mile a night.
TrkWave
Ripple

FWIW, might I say we have come a long way. I remember a few years ago when this stadium idea was mentioned, we all laughed at the possibility. I personally thought it was a pipe dream. But now, we have built a new Baseball Stadium, Basketball Practice facility, and we are about to announce on ONCAMPUS Football Stadium (30k +). For all of his faults, and there are many, Rick Dickson certainly has pushed to put a permanent footprint on Tulane's campus. All the facility upgrades have occurred under him. His coach selection may be subpar, and I say may be, because most coaches he selected had no support. Perhaps they would have performed better with support. Anyway, I am glad to see this day finally come and lets hope it marks the start of a permanent fun fun ride to relevance. ROLL DAMN WAVE!!! :D :D :D :D
NOLABigSteve
Riptide

Roll Wave!
Tulane University c/o 2003
Football Defensive End '99, '00, '01, '02
2002 Hawaii Bowl Champions
School of Engineering (Computer Science)
Fred Dowler
Riptide

If the team doesn't win then the novelty effect of any new stadium will wear away eventually.

If Tulane stays in C-USA and other C-USA programs who are solid winners move out and up then the novelty effect will disappear more quickly.

Also, for sure, fans had better get ready for higher prices and for having to fight to find any kind of parking at all.
Tulane sports: small football stadium, very small basketball arena, w̶i̶n̶n̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶p̶r̶o̶g̶r̶a̶m̶s̶, h̶o̶n̶e̶s̶t̶y̶ ̶a̶n̶d̶ ̶a̶c̶c̶o̶u̶n̶t̶a̶b̶i̶l̶i̶t̶y̶ , but, hey, now there's tailgating.
Fred Dowler
Riptide

TrkWave wrote:FWIW, might I say we have come a long way. I remember a few years ago when this stadium idea was mentioned, we all laughed at the possibility. I personally thought it was a pipe dream. But now, we have built a new Baseball Stadium, Basketball Practice facility, and we are about to announce on ONCAMPUS Football Stadium (30k +). For all of his faults, and there are many, Rick Dickson certainly has pushed to put a permanent footprint on Tulane's campus. All the facility upgrades have occurred under him. His coach selection may be subpar, and I say may be, because most coaches he selected had no support. Perhaps they would have performed better with support. Anyway, I am glad to see this day finally come and lets hope it marks the start of a permanent fun fun ride to relevance. ROLL DAMN WAVE!!! :D :D :D :D
Will this football stadium make Tulane any more relevant?

Real relevance will come only with winning, winning consistently and also winning against programs that people know about and have some regard for.

I concur with what appears to be part of the pro-stadium selling point that the Superdome is just too large for Tulane's regular following -- but what Tulane needs to do is to win games and make that regular following 3 or 4 or 5 times larger.

Tulane will never draw very well? Well, I also find this point to be pretty well on the mark. I am no optimist. I am sure that Tulane is going to have to post a lot of winning and strong seasons over a period of time such as 5-6 years in order to really get the following boosted up there. Let's be honest. Things are in a really deep, deep hole.

Still, a new stadium is just not going to be some kind of panacea. The novelty effect will wear away.

What should be a priority is addressing the admissions and academics issues so that the coaches will be free to recruit the talent that they need to and that players will be able to stay in school and stay eligible -- and I suspect that in spite of whatever the insiders group has said that dealing with those issues is still up in the air.

What should be a priority is an indoor practice facility.

What should be a priority is salaries for assistant coaches and recruiting budgets.

Is Tulane looking to make a lot of noise about building a new stadium instead of addressing what they really need to?

It would not be a surprise if indeed that's what their strategy, i.e. smoke and mirrors rather than substance, is.
Tulane sports: small football stadium, very small basketball arena, w̶i̶n̶n̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶p̶r̶o̶g̶r̶a̶m̶s̶, h̶o̶n̶e̶s̶t̶y̶ ̶a̶n̶d̶ ̶a̶c̶c̶o̶u̶n̶t̶a̶b̶i̶l̶i̶t̶y̶ , but, hey, now there's tailgating.
TrkWave
Ripple

Fred Dowler wrote:
TrkWave wrote:FWIW, might I say we have come a long way. I remember a few years ago when this stadium idea was mentioned, we all laughed at the possibility. I personally thought it was a pipe dream. But now, we have built a new Baseball Stadium, Basketball Practice facility, and we are about to announce on ONCAMPUS Football Stadium (30k +). For all of his faults, and there are many, Rick Dickson certainly has pushed to put a permanent footprint on Tulane's campus. All the facility upgrades have occurred under him. His coach selection may be subpar, and I say may be, because most coaches he selected had no support. Perhaps they would have performed better with support. Anyway, I am glad to see this day finally come and lets hope it marks the start of a permanent fun fun ride to relevance. ROLL DAMN WAVE!!! :D :D :D :D

Real relevance will come only with winning, winning consistently and also winning against programs that people know about and have some regard for.

I concur with what appears to be part of the pro-stadium selling point that the Superdome is just too large for Tulane's regular following -- but what Tulane needs to do is to win games and make that regular following 3 or 4 or 5 times larger.

Tulane will never draw very well? Well, I also find this point to be pretty well on the mark. I am no optimist. I am sure that Tulane is going to have to post a lot of winning and strong seasons over a period of time such as 5-6 years in order to really get the following boosted up there. Let's be honest. Things are in a really deep, deep hole.

Still, a new stadium is just not going to be some kind of panacea. The novelty effect will wear away.

What should be a priority is addressing the admissions and academics issues so that the coaches will be free to recruit the talent that they need to and that players will be able to stay in school and stay eligible -- and I suspect that in spite of whatever the insiders group has said that dealing with those issues is still up in the air.

What should be a priority is salaries for assistant coaches and recruiting budgets.

Is Tulane looking to make a lot of noise about building a new stadium instead of addressing what they really need to?

It would not be a surprise if indeed that's what their strategy, i.e. smoke and mirrors rather than substance, is.

Well negative Nancy just had to ruin the optimism. My point is, this is good. This is better than the alternative. This was not on the horizon for any of us a few years back. For crying out loud, we all KNOW THE PROBLEMS we have; it is not new to anyone. However, let us enjoy this positive moment, that signifies a big step in forcing the administration to take football seriously. This SIGNALS that they are taking football seriously, you do not raise this kind of money to build a space gobbling landmark if you are not serious about getting its worth out. IT is a GOOOOOD thing! Be happy for a day at least, before you resume the whinefest.
baldboy
Low Tide

+1000!!!! I could not agree more with you. Too many Tulane fans have become so negative that they actually will bad things to transpire. This stadium is a great thing because it forces us to attempt to become relevant. You can nit pick anything to death or you can take the positives from all of this and infuse positive energy into this fanbase and football team. Tulane has a chance to propel the athletics into something worthy of the city it calls home. Be there tomorrow and be proud your team will soon have a home of its own!
Ripple

All I know is this -- I would have killed to have football on-campus when I was a student at Tulane. It might not be a game-changer for results on field, but the experience of games on-campus (having been to many games at other universities) simply cannot be beat.

Plus, there is a tangible recruiting benefit to showing a kid the stadium where he'll play right next to where he'll be training and living. You want to show a kid his home for the next 4 years, not the building his team rents 1 day out of the week.

As for size? Nippert Stadium on campus at the University of Cincinnati holds 35K, and it's one of the best game day environments I've ever been to.
sader24
Tsunami

One huge suggestion to Rick, PLEASE PLEASE get REAL GRASS. Please dont put some new horsesh*t turf out there. If you want this thing to be real and feel real, get some real grass.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

I doubt there will be "real grass"...not only games have to be played but this is your practice facility also...I am sure there will be other sports using the surface as well...so it looks like an all purpose turf will be used...and it is easier to maintain
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
Fred Dowler
Riptide

TrkWave wrote:
Fred Dowler wrote:

Well negative Nancy just had to ruin the optimism. My point is, this is good. This is better than the alternative. This was not on the horizon for any of us a few years back. For crying out loud, we all KNOW THE PROBLEMS we have; it is not new to anyone. However, let us enjoy this positive moment, that signifies a big step in forcing the administration to take football seriously. This SIGNALS that they are taking football seriously, you do not raise this kind of money to build a space gobbling landmark if you are not serious about getting its worth out. IT is a GOOOOOD thing! Be happy for a day at least, before you resume the whinefest.
I don't agree at all with the assertion that this concept is better than the alternative and really signals that Tulane is somehow now taking football seriously.

There is only ONE way to really prove that somehow now you're serious about football: win games consistently.

Does the Tulane leadership really understand that? One doubts it, and what's more, their whole history seems to have been one of attempting to distract from that basic truth with seeming continual gimmickry which this concept is. And it's anything but serious.

We shall see.

But I hate to see people falling for this kind of foolishness.
wavedat
Swell

Blame the fans. Brilliant. Those coaches lost b/c they sucked, their players were not D-1 quality and b/c of the Tulane Model.

As for the theory that the stadium will force them to have to be serious that's BS. They are not putting up a penny. They think it's the answer in and of itself. I don't want to hear anybody whining about the cost of a PSL, the high ticket prices, lack of parking and lack of access to tailgating. Many have tried to qualify by saying if they build it right but fact is you agreed it should be built. When it proves to be a mistake of epic proportion like de-emphasis and leaving the sec don't complain b/c you are now complicit. Look at smu. They stamped themselves small time and now we are about to do the same. This stadium is for quitters who don't realize how quickly our fortunes could turn around w/the right coach and no more model.
Tulane didn't have a stadium issue it had a program and facilities issues. To the new President- we want a new AD , a football facility and an IPF. We want top 25 programs in football and basketball the only two sports that count.
TURVS71
Swell

Well, whether we like it or not, today is the day that MANY of us have been waiting for for YEARS. I sincerely hope that we do it right. That there ARE plans for expansion and that initial construction allows for this expansion. I HOPE that we get to the point of needing expansion in a short time. It may not be the dome, some may not like it, but I just have to say that I am excited and sad at the same time. Excited to be back on campus and sad for those that will not get to see this. Some on here will disagree with me but it is now happening and all we can do is except it and keep up pressure on the administration to do EVERYTHING possible to support this program.

Of course, goTULA ain't going nowhere and we WILL do our part to breathe down the neck of the administration and challenge them on their decisions.

I can't wait to begin updating everyone when construction begins and start a countdown clock to Kickoff in NEW TULANE STADIUM!

I can see a sign right now in the endzone:

"goTULA.NET. that says it all"
'Here's a song for the Olive and the Blue"
A&S 76
Ripple

I admit I don't have the knowledge or connection to the program that many of the posters here have. And, I admit that after over 2.5 decades of annual contributions to Tulane, I have decided not to give this year. Call me a naysayer, if you will, but I have exterme trepidation about building an OCS at this time. Of course, I will wait for the official announcement and perhaps readjust my opinion. I suggest, without empirical support, that RD may view this as his sinecure. How can he possibly be released while the OCS is under construction. And, of course, there must be a few years after completion to allow the program to come to fruition in its new abode. Sorry guys, I guess I am just old and jaded.
murphwave
High Tide

Nothing makes me happier to know I will be able to tailgate on the UC Quad and Newcomb quad in the near future.

The Superdome is a nice recruiting tool and novelty (and it can remain so on occasion) but I have waited for this announcement for a long time and I am going to savor it regardless of the misguided notion that it forever stamps us as small time.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

WIST entire show so far on Tulane. Scott Kushner says no lights.
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
jonathanjoseph
Green Wave

A&S 76 wrote:I admit I don't have the knowledge or connection to the program that many of the posters here have. And, I admit that after over 2.5 decades of annual contributions to Tulane, I have decided not to give this year. Call me a naysayer, if you will, but I have exterme trepidation about building an OCS at this time. Of course, I will wait for the official announcement and perhaps readjust my opinion. I suggest, without empirical support, that RD may view this as his sinecure. How can he possibly be released while the OCS is under construction. And, of course, there must be a few years after completion to allow the program to come to fruition in its new abode. Sorry guys, I guess I am just old and jaded.
This.

I'd have no problem with the stadium if a new athletic director came in and said it was the right thing to do. But this stadium ties us to Rick Dickson for the rest of his career, and even if it makes for some good tailgating that's a net negative.

I thought through that yesterday. What happens if (I said if, but there's a real possibility) CJ turns out to be in over his head and the hire is a bust. Yet another disastrous hire yet there will be no chance that Dickson is fired while the stadium is under construction/new. None.

I don't care so much about the stadium as I do being tied to Dickson indefinitely. His vision, his execution, his Cowen's-yes-man until he's ready to leave. And in no way can I be excited about that prospect.
sader24
Tsunami

How is it a homefield advantage if we cant even decide what time to play our games? You move on campus to control your own destiny, not so the neighborhood can tell you what time the game has to end by. Also does anyone realize that no lights means in November we cant play games that start after 1PM b/c if the game goes too long we wont be able to finish it without lights? That would mean September/October games will be scorching in the daytime and November games have to be too early to really tailgate. We have lights on the baseball field, why does it matter?
sader24
Tsunami

Also prevents us from playing and weekday night games that could be televised.
sader24
Tsunami

What about games when it rains? Every stadium I've ever been to puts the lights on when the sky gets dark and its about to rain. I dont see how you can have a football stadium in todays era with no lights. This basically means if we get any nighttime televised games they have to be moved to the Dome, it means if we get any 2:30 TV games in november they have to be moved to the Dome, if it is predicted to rain the next day we have to move to the Dome.
threeputt
High Tide

I wonder how MEEEECHIGAN made it 100 years without lights :shock:
Green Wave
Swell

threeputt wrote:I wonder how MEEEECHIGAN made it 100 years without lights :shock:

They played durring the day.

:mrgreen:
ROLL WAVE!
Highwave
Low Tide

threeputt wrote:I wonder how MEEEECHIGAN made it 100 years without lights :shock:

By winning.