Yulman Stadium (Benson Field)

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Same parking options available again this season. Including St Rita and Dominican and the others. Just more spots now available on campus including tailgate village area.

Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
nawlinspete
Riptide

tpstulane wrote:Same parking options available again this season. Including St Rita and Dominican and the others. Just more spots now available on campus including tailgate village area.
No need to expand parking with Dickson, Johnson, the Prices all involved. Get rid of all of these losers and then we'll need not only additional parking but additional seating.
President Fitts , B of A , it's put up or forever hold your peace time . Make Tulane ATHLETICS relevant and top 30 again .
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Tulane offering a deal that's new for 2015 season....
Westfeldt Terrace 3- exclusive, upper level, chairback seating. With a TAF donation of $500 and tickets at $250. Includes specialty food options, premium game day giveaways, and the opportunity to purchase a Premium Parking Pass.
Tulane Class of 1981
GreenLantern
Riptide

tpstulane wrote:Tulane offering a deal that's new for 2015 season....
Westfeldt Terrace 3- exclusive, upper level, chairback seating. With a TAF donation of $500 and tickets at $250. Includes specialty food options, premium game day giveaways, and the opportunity to purchase a Premium Parking Pass.
Very interesting. That's the same costs as my seats on the press box side, although I am on the 48 yard line. Last year in the early part of the season it seemed that the people in the Westfeldt terrace were getting broiled whereas we had the sun at our back. Did you have seats on that side last year, and if so how insufferable was the temperature?
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

GreenLantern wrote:
Very interesting. That's the same costs as my seats on the press box side, although I am on the 48 yard line. Last year in the early part of the season it seemed that the people in the Westfeldt terrace were getting broiled whereas we had the sun at our back. Did you have seats on that side last year, and if so how insufferable was the temperature?
First game was miserable, the rest were nice. Night games were great. Homecoming day game was good. Only the GT game was bad. I believe the food and drink options in the Westfeldt Club are superior to the other's available in the stadium. Hopefully they all come back this year and we play at night in the earlier part of the season.
Tulane Class of 1981
aus10dixon
Ripple

I upgraded to Westfeldt Terrace 3 for this year. I'll be in Section 202, Row A. I was over on the west sideline in Section 118 last year. The view was great, but I made the mistake of renting chair backs.

I sat on the east side for the spring game and really liked those seats. I'm looking forward to the new view and all the extras and amenities this year. Another positive is that I won't be stuck in foot traffic while the band and teams are entering and leaving Benson Field.
Show Me
Tsunami

gbgreenie wrote:Sader 24 I agree with everything you said except one thing. Instead of an indoor practice facility this should be the Retractable Roof Stadium they discussed. Room is limited. We need to look at multi-use facilities. Turchin Stadium should have been a combination Football and Baseball Facility that could have seated 35,000 with room for expansion. With the artificial turf this would have been feasible and better use of land with the lowest cost. With the savings the Retractable roof would have worked also. It doesn't make sense to keep building separate facilities with one function due to lack of space. A stadium could have served all those purposes if constructed right. Who knows a 35,000 retractable roof stadium could have been used for Basketball, Football and Baseball. The Superdome was used for all three but was too big. But a smaller version for Tulane would have been a great idea if the University had someone like Dave Dixon with vision. Cost and land use this would have been a great project for Tulane's future to the BCS.
Kaaree Johnson is that you?
RobertM320
Green Wave

Just wondering how many of those NIMBYs that kept us from building a proper stadium benefit from the $1B YEARLY economic impact Tulane provides the state? How many actually work for Tulane, or got their degrees from there? Maybe we should threaten to pack up the entire school, Med Center and all, and move it to another state.

http://www.nola.com/business/index.ssf/ ... _jobs.html
"That mantra is the only consistent thing that never needs to ever change for the rest of this program’s existence because that is all that matters & as long as that keeps occurring, everything will handle itself" -- Nick Anderson
jonathanjoseph
Green Wave

Given that we just honored Rick Dickson Friday night it looks more and more like the results are in an Yulman Stadium is a failure.

Yulman was supposed to create a game day experience that was lacking at the Dome, increasing attendance, but attendance seems unchanged from the same few thousand we had at the Dome. We were just outdrawn by ULL. The buzz is gone.

Yulman was supposed to provide revenue/cash flow but the Senate report makes clear that isn't happening.

Yulman was supposed to help recruiting, but it clearly is not and is arguably hurting.

Anyone got a counter argument at this point? Don't use "better gameday experience" because it hasn't increased attendance. Please don't attack me personally, because that's an admission that you don't have a counter argument.
sader24
Tsunami

I've been on both sides of this argument. The buzz wore off because we didn't win and have been terrible the last two seasons. Not just terrible, but the kind of terrible that makes you want to throw things onto the field. I know a group of guys who are around my age that were a mix of Uptown guys and former Tulane athletes. 18 of them bought tickets the first season in a group together. Now only 5 remain and it's directly related to the product on the field. I wouldn't call the stadium a mistake. It's not as great as many thought it would be and it isnt as bad as others make it out to be. Personally, I have not had great experiences there. I've been illegally towed, I've had guys refuse to come to a game again that isn' after October b/c of the miserable heat at the GT game, and the concessions are in drastic need of a complete overhaul. I can say without a doubt that there are more people that are willing to and have attended games there b/c of the stadium that were never ever going to come to the Dome again. I think a good team, a relaxing of the agreement with the city on some restrictions, a revamped concession situation, and a few other things will make it a nice situation. If LSU didnt play at 5 Saturday Night, the crowd would've been alot bigger.
Ruski
Swell

jonathanjoseph wrote:Given that we just honored Rick Dickson Friday night it looks more and more like the results are in an Yulman Stadium is a failure.

Yulman was supposed to create a game day experience that was lacking at the Dome, increasing attendance, but attendance seems unchanged from the same few thousand we had at the Dome. We were just outdrawn by ULL. The buzz is gone.

Yulman was supposed to provide revenue/cash flow but the Senate report makes clear that isn't happening.

Yulman was supposed to help recruiting, but it clearly is not and is arguably hurting.

Anyone got a counter argument at this point? Don't use "better gameday experience" because it hasn't increased attendance. Please don't attack me personally, because that's an admission that you don't have a counter argument.
Would we have been admitted into the AAC without Yulman?
JDTulane
Riptide

Anyone arguing butts in seats isnt up from the dome nasnt been to a game in both (aka JJ). 100x more students even if half leave early. Remember the days where <20 came?! I do. JJ the more you bash the stadium having never been to it the more I skip your posts.
mbawavefan12
Tsunami

JDTulane wrote:Anyone arguing butts in seats isnt up from the dome nasnt been to a game in both (aka JJ). 100x more students even if half leave early. Remember the days where <20 came?! I do. JJ the more you bash the stadium having never been to it the more I skip your posts.
Yup.
Show Me
Tsunami

Being back on campus is 1000 times better. Of course the stadium could have been done better but to continue to say it's a failure is not true. Losing has been the root cause. And we lost in the dome so are we to blame the dome?
I'll bet JJ hasn't even been to campus for game day.
anEngineer
Riptide

JDTulane wrote:Anyone arguing butts in seats isnt up from the dome nasnt been to a game in both (aka JJ). 100x more students even if half leave early. Remember the days where <20 came?! I do. JJ the more you bash the stadium having never been to it the more I skip your posts.
I agree. I am tired of the same post over and over. JJ, you don't like Yulman, we understand that. Most prefer it to the Dome. You are entitled to your opinion but the constant harping on it is quite tiresome and makes it easy to just disregard whatever you are saying; I know I do.
netshorty
Surge

Show Me wrote:Being back on campus is 1000 times better.
I am an extremely small sample size but I have traveled from Houston to see 5 games at yulman since it opened. for 20 years prior to that I had only seen them play at Rice, UH, SMU. As a class of 94 grad I had the most miserable game experiences at the dome. while the stadium is small, i can say that being on campus, with real tailgating and a better stadium vibe is more than 1000 times better than anything i experienced in the dome. and while the stadium hasn't translated to a better team (yet) I believe that is nearly 100% attributed to having the worst college football coach in history here for an extended period of time.
lurker123
Swell

There is a reason why UCLA signed a 30 year extension with the 100+ year old Rose Bowl rather than move to the under-construction most advanced/biggest/baddest NFL stadium ever in 2019. (Will it cost $2 billion?)

There is a reason that Temple and UMass are begging to get out of their NFL stadiums and even GA State is converting a baseball stadium to do the same. Even FAU and FIU want no part of an NFL stadium. Vanderbilt in the might SEC prefers a 40,000 seat stadium on campus versus Titans field. SMU, UH, blah blah blah.

Tulane just earned an easy extra $50,000 by agreeing to play on UMass campus instead of Gillette. Charlotte built a 15,000 seat on campus stadium rather than move into a ready made NFL facility. Who's left? Miami, SDSU and Pittsburgh. Any others?

I guess morons run Universities across America and college football teams large and small are missing the sainted opportunity of playing in NFL stadiums. Too bad....
mbawavefan12
Tsunami

lurker123 wrote:There is a reason why UCLA signed a 30 year extension with the 100+ year old Rose Bowl rather than move to the under-construction most advanced/biggest/baddest NFL stadium ever in 2019. (Will it cost $2 billion?)

There is a reason that Temple and UMass are begging to get out of their NFL stadiums and even GA State is converting a baseball stadium to do the same. Even FAU and FIU want no part of an NFL stadium. Vanderbilt in the might SEC prefers a 40,000 seat stadium on campus versus Titans field. SMU, UH, blah blah blah.

Tulane just earned an easy extra $50,000 by agreeing to play on UMass campus instead of Gillette. Charlotte built a 15,000 seat on campus stadium rather than move into a ready made NFL facility. Who's left? Miami, SDSU and Pittsburgh. Any others?

I guess morons run Universities across America and college football teams large and small are missing the sainted opportunity of playing in NFL stadiums. Too bad....
You are feeding JJ with the responses as we have been around and around with this discussion, sorry. People really need to move on and spend time figuring out how we can improve Yulman and work on other support assets.
lurker123
Swell

Agree but it's a slow Monday except in Tiger Land.

You are absolutely right. How to make the OCS more successful? Let's work the issue like the vast majority of FBS teams large and small across America are doing.
jonathanjoseph
Green Wave

sader24 wrote:I've been on both sides of this argument. The buzz wore off because we didn't win and have been terrible the last two seasons. Not just terrible, but the kind of terrible that makes you want to throw things onto the field. I know a group of guys who are around my age that were a mix of Uptown guys and former Tulane athletes. 18 of them bought tickets the first season in a group together. Now only 5 remain and it's directly related to the product on the field. I wouldn't call the stadium a mistake. It's not as great as many thought it would be and it isnt as bad as others make it out to be. Personally, I have not had great experiences there. I've been illegally towed, I've had guys refuse to come to a game again that isn' after October b/c of the miserable heat at the GT game, and the concessions are in drastic need of a complete overhaul. I can say without a doubt that there are more people that are willing to and have attended games there b/c of the stadium that were never ever going to come to the Dome again. I think a good team, a relaxing of the agreement with the city on some restrictions, a revamped concession situation, and a few other things will make it a nice situation. If LSU didnt play at 5 Saturday Night, the crowd would've been alot bigger.
It's not really about whether the experience of the OCS is working or not. It's about the Tulane Athletics facilities plan, which was based around this "crown jewel" being the major and final piece of the puzzle, is working and what needs to be done about it if not. Sure, gameday logistics and concessions can be fixed. The question is, does this stadium prevent the program from the achieving the cash flow and recruiting needed to win.
Bearwave
High Tide

Playing on campus is much better than the dome for atmosphere and winning would go a long way in making it better. The actual stadium isn't that nice compared to other newer college stadiums but it's still better than an empty cavern like the dome.
Bears are Ready to Rhule! Sic'em
jonathanjoseph
Green Wave

jonathanjoseph wrote:Given that we just honored Rick Dickson Friday night it looks more and more like the results are in an Yulman Stadium is a failure.

Well, rather than respond individually, let's just say you all predictably made my point for me.

1) No one is "bashing" the stadium. I'm talking about objective results and is the stadium helping or hurting our athletic program. Sorry if unpleasant discussions bother you, but that's your problem not mine.

2) If your answer is "Yulman is 100X better than the Dome" then you are missing the point entirely. Whether or not the gameday experience is better or worse or whether gameday logistics can be fixed is completely irrelevant here. Regular posters on this forum are already diehards and attend games in any venue. The athletic program cannot make decisions based on a 20% increase in your enjoyment. The program must change so that 20X NEW fans want to attend games and so far Yulman has not accomplished that. The question remains, is Yulman a part of that problem. At best, you are arguing it is part of the solution if you want to suggest as much. And this is before we start talking about how we are pitching it to the Big12.

3) This is in no way "the same discussion over again". We're now in year 3 with attendance looking to be very close to what it was in the Dome, we now know what the financials look like (not pretty) and we know that we have been unable to win ANY recruiting battles in LA, and I'm not talking about losing recruits to LSU.

If any adults wish to discuss Tulane Athletics facilities, please do. But please stop shooting the messenger.
WaveCan
Low Tide

The key is WINNING. Saturday night was a blast. Energetic crowd (even if 1/2 were from ULL), fantastic finish to the game, and the celebration of winning. Exiting the stadium while the team was running to the locker room with fans 4-5 deep on both sides of the barricades hollering and slapping fives with the players as they excitedly ran through was memorable. The noise echoing off the bottom of the stands was loud. A great scene. And kudos to the stadium/security staff for allowing a large group of kids to stand along the wall of the north endzone during overtime. They were making noise and having a great time. Those little things would have never happened in the Dome, but also can only happen if we win in Yulman. We just had what I think were by far the three funnest games since we moved into Yulman and it's no coincidence that we were not blown out in any of them. We blew a lesser opponent out, played a better opponent real tight until losing in the final minutes and then got an exciting win. It feels like things are about to turn in a very positive direction.
mbawavefan12
Tsunami

jonathanjoseph wrote:

Well, rather than respond individually, let's just say you all predictably made my point for me.
This guy
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

Dead on accurate. There's more than the "few thousand" fans that came to the Dome. Heck, we had a Homecoming against Army a while back that you could literally count the people in the Dome. I went up to the second level, where less than 100 people were. The lower level was maybe 5% full. They announced attendance at 7 or 8k, when in reality there was maybe 1000 people there.

How can someone that hasn't been to a game in the stadium claim it hasn't made gameday experience better? There's other claims in his post that are unsubstantiated as well, particularly about being outdrawn by U-La-La fans. Most posts after the game said we had more fans, though many thought it might be approaching 50/50.
Last edited by DfromCT on Mon Sep 26, 2016 2:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V