UAPB series

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
tnelly15
Riptide

Should be interesting to see who we go with as the #3 starter.

tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
winwave
Top of the WAVE

rollwave11 wrote:Very impressed with a 4 game series sweep on opening weekend! Thought for the most part our pitching was outstanding. Merrill and Mapes both struggled some in their outings but both were able to make big pitches to limit damage and get out of innings. Merrill seemed like he may have had some nerves with it being his first collegiate appearance. Thought Massey's stuff looked great and he should definately move to the weekend rotation at some point.

Our defense for the most part was great. Had a few mistakes, but look like we will be very solid defensively.

Offensively, I thought we did a great job especially on Friday and Sunday. We had some really good at bats, got our bunts down, and most of all drove in runs with guys in scoring position! Overall I thought it was a great opening weekend for such a young team.
I hear ya. Merrill was getting his pitches up high initially. We got the lead right back for him and he settled in nicely. Massey was indeed on and will be in the weekend rotation shortly. Rankin looked good. I was getting concerned b/c there had been no mention of him and he did well last year. The staff will be deep and in today's game that's a huge part of the equation.
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
BC Wave
Swell

Thanks to all the UAPB fans that sat along the Barbary Coast of section 103. They were great parents and friends. And thanks to UAPB who had to flex their schedule to accommadate us.

One final observation: at the start of the bottom of the first, perhaps after a pitch or two, the HP ump approached the mound and spoke to the pitcher. As best we could tell, he was noting that the pitcher wore a white t shirt under his jersey and was exposed due to the top buttons being undone. We thought perhaps the white was a distracting color to the batters.

Nothing was done about it. We assumed he would change between innings. He then gave up 6 runs in the first. We don't think he changed.

Did anyone catch what the flap was over?
TU23
High Tide

I would imagine that was probably the case. You aren't allowed to wear white under your jersey as a pitcher (at the very least your sleeves cannot be visible). I learned that rule the hard way in when an umpire made me take off my undershirt in the middle of an inning. Most umpires will let you finish out the inning unless the opposing coach is really getting on him about it.
NOLABigSteve
Riptide

Way too early in the season to draw any conclusions whatsoever, but at least we swept them. Sweeps against these types of opponents have been far and few between in recent years.
Roll Wave!
Tulane University c/o 2003
Football Defensive End '99, '00, '01, '02
2002 Hawaii Bowl Champions
School of Engineering (Computer Science)
tnelly15
Riptide

True, I don't know that we swept anyone last year.