2014 Baseball Season

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
TURVS71
Swell

Since the season is fast approaching, Thought I would start this thread for comments on upcoming season, players to watch, predictions and other observations. Have fun!

'Here's a song for the Olive and the Blue"
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Just renewed my season tickets the other day. I've heard a Tulane baseball commercial on WWL radio just about each morning this week on the Tommy Tucker show.
It's a nice clip of Coach Rick Jones promoting the "local" aspect of the program. Giving info about season ticket packages and a few other things as well.
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
TURVS71
Swell

Moved my 3 tickets back to first base side after a year on third base side. More action and fun being by the Greenbackers!!!! :D :D :D
'Here's a song for the Olive and the Blue"
tnelly15
Riptide

37 days until we take on Arkansas Pine bluff in the opener, if my math is correct.
threeputt
High Tide

First time in 17 years I am not renewing my season tickets.
mbawavefan12
Tsunami

Ya I am passing on a second year of season tics. May go to a few games depending on the product.

Could be a fun team to watch, it appears there is a real talent upgrade but I can remember the same talk the past few years.
Last edited by mbawavefan12 on Thu Jan 09, 2014 2:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jonathan
Riptide

This 2014 team/season is not going anywhere. The initial NCAA tournament to the Super Regional and then Omaha is the only goal. It will not happen. Fire Rick and staff or kick him upstairs.
wavedat
Swell

Word is they did away w/the 5 game plan for $50 and came up w/a plan for three times that amount. Bad move when there's no demand.
Tulane didn't have a stadium issue it had a program and facilities issues. To the new President- we want a new AD , a football facility and an IPF. We want top 25 programs in football and basketball the only two sports that count.
JDTulane
Riptide

We'll be tailgating quite a few weekends. When I get a chance to sit down with the schedule I'll post it. Us n the Greenie Gals already mapping it out. Greenbackers have their dates?
Show Me
Tsunami

threeputt wrote:First time in 17 years I am not renewing my season tickets.
I'm in the same boat. "Show Me" first than I'll buy on a game to game basis. I've heard this song and dance before. New talent, pitching healthy, blah, blah, blah. Meanwhile we continue to sit home during post season. I'm hoping this year is finally different.
JDTulane
Riptide

Looks like our tailgating home series games will be:

ULL
Wichita St
LSU
Rice
USM

with a road trip to LSU for @LSU
tnelly15
Riptide

Hope that the new guys can live up to their rankings. Would be nice to see some guys who can hit, hit for power and steal bases. Didn't have much of any of those things last year. The team was not fun to watch at all.
wave runner
High Tide

Can anybody give insight to our starting lineup? Any freshman expected to start?
Jonathan
Riptide

How does the team look this year? Power hitting,team speed,base stealing,supply of left hand pitchers,great pitching depth,over 90mph arms,team leadership etc. etc. I was impressed with our Baseball Americas recruiting class ranking. But with our poor performance the last few years ( no power hitting,no team speed,poor pitching and coaching, poor base stealing,no team leaders,very poor recruiting, no pitching depth or quality relievers etc) I will only be a believer after quality wins over top opponents and finally hosting a NCAA regional and super regional.
tnelly15
Riptide

wave runner wrote:Can anybody give insight to our starting lineup? Any freshman expected to start?
Seems like a safe bet that Alemais will start at SS and Rogers at Catcher. Could have Hunter Hope at 3B and may even have a freshman in the outfield.
rollwave11
High Tide

If I had to guess an opening day starting lineup:

C-Jake Rogers
1B-Hunter Williams
2B-Garrett Deschamp/Bowen Woodson
SS-Stephen Alemais
3B-Hunter Hope/Tyler Wilson
OF-Lex Kaplan/Richard Carthon/John Gandolfo
DH-Andrew Garner
P-Randy LeBlanc
winwave
Top of the WAVE

wave runner wrote:Can anybody give insight to our starting lineup? Any freshman expected to start?
There are a lot of injuries at play especially w/regards to the pitching staff. so I'm just throwing it at the wall and we'll see if it sticks.

C-Rogers
1B-Buchowski/Williams
2B-Deschamps/Yandel
SS-Aleimais
3B-Hope
LF-Carthon/Gandolfo
CF-Kaplan
RF-Brown
DH-Garner/Buchowski

SP-LeBlanc
Massey
Kmac
France
Merrill

RP-Gibaut
Rankin
Garner
Mapes
Horton
Yandel
Gibbs

This will be interesting. I think they either really surprise in a good way or the season reall tanks. It wil tank if the injured pitchers can't regain their form and if the freshman are light hitting. Would be nice if this Kaplan turns out better than the first and he well could.
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
rollwave11
High Tide

Has anyone heard anything on the status of Massey and Mapes? I think the production of these 2 guys will have a huge impact on our season. Our young position players may struggle early with the transition to college ball but I believe they are very talented and will get better each week.
VerdeGeaux
Low Tide

winwave is really close on starting lineup. probably will see 7 new comers/freshman starting. i hear Rogers and deschamp were best hitters in fall. the hitting is up in the air but you will not see a better team defensively or speed wise this year. All starters with exception of one or two have plus speed. im hearing massey and mapes are cleared and will be back. it seems everyone is healthy!
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

VerdeGeaux wrote:winwave is really close on starting lineup. probably will see 7 new comers/freshman starting. i hear Rogers and deschamp were best hitters in fall. the hitting is up in the air but you will not see a better team defensively or speed wise this year. All starters with exception of one or two have plus speed. im hearing massey and mapes are cleared and will be back. it seems everyone is healthy!
+1
The game today today is quite different from the one we played in 2005. Speed, defense and pitching are much more emphasized with the currents bats and balls being used. The games move along alot faster because of the lack of offense in the college game today. Should be a fun team to follow. I'm looking forward to it especially with the struggles we are seeing from MBB.
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
GreenLantern
Riptide

Cool splash ad this morning when I checked the WWL weather site:

Jonathan
Riptide

Will this current season be like the approximate last five years that we have no great recruits and cannot get to the NCAA tournament. Remember the days when we hosted the Super Regional and went on to Omaha after defeating LSU A&M. We have gone done hill since then. Rick Jones get his half million dollar annual salary but recruiting and coaching has sucked.
IM42lane
Swell

So, who will succeed Rick one day. Jake Gautreau or Matt Riser?
Regards,
"Pete" Madere
rollwave11
High Tide

I think the job will be offered to Gaut once Coach Jones retires. He has proven himself as a recruiter by bringing in a top 25 class with players from all over the country. He knows what it takes to win at Tulane from being on the 2001 Omaha team. Have always admired the way he played the game and think he would be a great successor to Coach Jones. Last year he was named by Perfect Game as one of 26 'assistant coaches ready to lead'

http://www.sportsnola.com/sports/tulane ... -game.html
Jonathan
Riptide

Question? How does everyone feel about this coming baseball season? Do we have a competitive schedule with top opponents from the west coast or SEC? I am happy about our ranking by Baseball America of our recruiting class. We have not recruited all star recruits for the last five years as we all know. Hopefully this is changing. Will wait to see on wins against quality opponents if our right and left hand pitchers are better,any team speed or base stealing,power hitting, a great relief pitcher,team leadership and on the field coaching from Jones and staff. Have not seen any of this in last approximately five years.