Tulane 21 - ULL 24

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
RobertM320
Green Wave

But we also need to look at the bigger picture. For the most part, these are still Toledo players. We have CJ's initial recruiting class where he didn't have full time to recruit, a few transfers (some very good), and a few true freshmen that played from CJ's second class. Next season, we'll have all those redshirts, and I'm sure before this is over, we'll see some transfers as well.

Yes, we were only 7-6 in a season where even an average defense would have won ten games. Let's build on this, because we're definitely better off on December 22, 2013 than we were on December 22, 2012, and light years better than where we were on December 22, 2011. (Except at QB)

"That mantra is the only consistent thing that never needs to ever change for the rest of this program’s existence because that is all that matters & as long as that keeps occurring, everything will handle itself" -- Nick Anderson
Dave breslin
Swell

Hate losing. BUT, I do think we are years ahead of the past years. Watching the sideline and believe that at least we are in the right direction with future talent. Price needs to join his dad at the boobie bar and quit coaching. Donnelly needs a hearing aid or drugs for his Tourette's. Dickson needs to be gone( I loved his ovation when mentioned at the game. Nothing!) .It doesn't matter where we play, but how we play. Not a knock on yulman, but a fact. I welcome the new stadium. I usually don't complain about the officiating, but they were as competent as RD. Keep going forward CJ. And thanks for the effort.
greenphantom
Swell

Sucks losing but the future is bright. KSM and Stewart look like monsters. Can't wait to see those 2 and Godfrey in action. Would love to see Neu get a shot at OC. Defense should still be pretty strong next year. We desperately need a game changer at KR/PR. Hopefully Enclade or one of the other freshmen can fill that role.
Eaglewave
Swell

I really believe our record would have been better if those freshman offensive lineman would have played this season. The offensive line sucked.
Ball Sumrall!
Jonathan
Riptide

One of point that irks me. There was no clock management or two minute drill the last minutes of the game. I hold the offensive coordinator responsible for this. It cost us approximately four additional plays. Why did we not set up Santos kick in the center of the field? Why did we take a sack and lose yards the play before his kick. Really poor management in the last two minutes of the game!
MDS15
Ripple

This lose is still killing me, I'm in a state of depression. I'm happy we made it this far, and I hope it gives all the returning players a chip on their shoulders heading into next year. I feel terrible that Cairo didn't have a chance to tie it earlier in the 4th, but the way our D looked the 30 minutes before that last drive I can't blame CJ for pinning them deep and letting the D get the ball back for a chance to win especially with Broadway out.
Eaglewave
Swell

Jonathan wrote:One of point that irks me. There was no clock management or two minute drill the last minutes of the game. I hold the offensive coordinator responsible for this. It cost us approximately four additional plays. Why did we not set up Santos kick in the center of the field? Why did we take a sack and lose yards the play before his kick. Really poor management in the last two minutes of the game!
I didn't think the clock management was that bad. I think we were trying to milk the clock so that ULL wouldn't have any time to score if we would have scored. The sack was not anyone's fault except that horrible offensive lineman. I really believe that Powell was getting ready to take a shot to the endzone on that play. If we didn't score, I believe that we would have ran a running play on 3rd down to center the ball for Santos. That sack really hurt us. Santos should have made that kick as well. There is no doubt in my mind that we wouldn't have beaten them in overtime.
Ball Sumrall!
DrBox
Riptide

Eaglewave wrote:
I didn't think the clock management was that bad. I think we were trying to milk the clock so that ULL wouldn't have any time to score if we would have scored. .
But we weren't that close...only in FG position, not TD position. We needed the time to run various plays to try to score a TD.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

I'm watching the replay of the game and for the life of me I can't understand why Nick pumps short and then throws short on that ULL TD INT that turned the game around. He baited the corner beautifully to come up with the pump but then throws a short pass right to the guy. At the time we had a great drive going and had the ball on their 17 yard line with a 3rd and 4. I just don't understand either the call, the pump or the throw. We are not that good on offense to overcome all those mistakes. This game was an exact dupilcate of the USA game earlier in the season.
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
COChip
Low Tide

tpstulane wrote:I'm watching the replay of the game and for the life of me I can't understand why Nick pumps short and then throws short on that ULL TD INT that turned the game around. He baited the corner beautifully to come up with the pump but then throws a short pass right to the guy. At the time we had a great drive going and had the ball on their 17 yard line with a 3rd and 4. I just don't understand either the call, the pump or the throw. We are not that good on offense to overcome all those mistakes. This game was an exact dupilcate of the USA game earlier in the season.
He's an average, at best, Div 1 QB with a hall of fame dad. If he had a lot of talent, he'd still be at U-dub or another high profile school, not Tulane. My enthusiasm was tempered when we signed him because I had a feeling this was the case. We need a talented QB and fierce leader.
Eaglewave
Swell

Why are ya'll ignoring that fact that this kid has been playing injured most of the season and getting his head cracked since week 1 behind this horrible offensive line? Montana put up solid numbers before his shoulder became a problem. The game plans have been awful.
Ball Sumrall!
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Eaglewave wrote:Why are ya'll ignoring that fact that this kid has been playing injured most of the season and getting his head cracked since week 1 behind this horrible offensive line? Montana put up solid numbers before his shoulder became a problem. The game plans have been awful.
Yes he's been injured all year and should not have been playing at less than 100% IMO.
Tulane Class of 1981
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

I thought the turning point was the no-call on the deep INT. Their player mistimed his jump and when he came down he took our reciever down with him, leaving the other UL-L player to make an easy pick. If the referee flags the guy that took out our receiver, we have the ball deep in UL-L territory, instead they get the ball and march for another TD.
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

DfromCT wrote:I thought the turning point was the no-call on the deep INT. Their player mistimed his jump and when he came down he took our reciever down with him, leaving the other UL-L player to make an easy pick. If the referee flags the guy that took out our receiver, we have the ball deep in UL-L territory, instead they get the ball and march for another TD.
Watching the game live I thought the same thing, but just watching the replay I think the no call was actually correct. Our guy was doubled covered one in front and one in back. Their 1st defender was making a play for the ball but mistimed his jump which messed up our guys chance at catching the ball. Either way it was just a hail Mary gamble on our part that failed.
Tulane Class of 1981
Eaglewave
Swell

That was clearly a pass interference!
Ball Sumrall!
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Eaglewave wrote:That was clearly a pass interference!
I'm going to upload that play in slow motion. It really wasn't.
Tulane Class of 1981
Wavetime
Swell

I also thought the interference call on us on their 3rd and long in the 4th hurt. What a horrible call. I thought USL held an awful lot and the officials were absolutely atrocious.

I am not taking anything from USL but man, we had some points taken off the board from us....
GreenLantern
Riptide

Anyone found an online video of the game or know if there might be a rebroadcast? I forgot to record the game on my DVR and I would love to hear the announcers commentary on some of the plays (penalties).
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

tpstulane wrote:
Eaglewave wrote:That was clearly a pass interference!
I'm going to upload that play in slow motion. It really wasn't.
Making a play on the ball doesn't give you free reign to take out the reciever. His mistimed jump resulted in our receiver having no play on the ball whatsoever. Had Shak been upright, the ball doesn't make it to their deeper cover guy.

Similar to the USA and 'Cuse games, we came out of the gates very poorly, and were trying to dig our way out of a big hole from there. USL (or excuse me, UL-L) wasn't that impressive other than the fact that they played the first quarter with a controlled fire in their bellies that we clearly lacked.
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
tnelly15
Riptide

I was at the game, so obviously didn't see it on TV.

Just read this:
@FletcherMackel: Eerie quite in Superdome as Jordan Sullen remains down.
More uncomfortable - the TV keeps cutting to shots of Devon Walker on sideline.
I'm really not a fan of them cutting to Walker in that situation. Anyone else see a problem with this?
jonathanjoseph
Green Wave

tnelly15 wrote:I was at the game, so obviously didn't see it on TV.

Just read this:
I'm really not a fan of them cutting to Walker in that situation. Anyone else see a problem with this?
Yes.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

tnelly15 wrote:I was at the game, so obviously didn't see it on TV.

Just read this:
Without a doubt it was inappropriate.
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
Wave755
Tsunami

Wavetime wrote:All the play calling in the world along with the best QB can't control offsides penalties. I am not joking when I say this, but I wonder if Donnely has a hearing issue.
And, sadly Donnelly got caught holding on that beautiful Darkwa half-back pass for a touchdown against Rice, a holding call that probably cost us the Rice game.
greenie78
Riptide

One of the false starts on Donnelly should have been an offsides on ULL.
Eaglewave
Swell

Here we go with this Louisiana shit.

http://www.foxnews.com/sports/2013/12/2 ... eans-bowl/
Ball Sumrall!