ULL (NOLA Bowl) Game Thread

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
Eaglewave
Swell

HSV wrote:Wow. Tough loss I feel sorry for a lot of players out there today
The offensive line is horrible. This team has so much fight in them. Even through many of you hate on CJ, the man has brought our program some fighters. Any other Tulane team since 1998 would have gotten blown away before halftime.

Ball Sumrall!
HSV
High Tide

Once again. Deep hole early kills the wave.

Upside is the fact that Tulane did not give up. Gave ULL all they could handle after the first quarter. They didn't give up. Credit to players and staff for that.

This ended a hell of a lot better than it looked for a while.

Are there positives. Yes some but this one hurts.
JerseyWave
Riptide

Our defense is for real. Just need more size at linebacker. The offense needs a total overhaul. Scheme, talent, coaching. Our two best players, Darkwa and Grant are graduating. We are in trouble next year against much better competition.
Eaglewave
Swell

HSV wrote:Once again. Deep hole early kills the wave.

Upside is the fact that Tulane did not give up. Gave ULL all they could handle after the first quarter. They didn't give up. Credit to players and staff for that.

This ended a hell of a lot better than it looked for a while.

Are there positives. Yes some but this one hurts.
Yup. Hurts like hell. ESPN wanted us to win this game badly! CJ showed me a lot today. He was screaming at his staff trying to get them to wake up. He was yelling at his players trying to get them to settle down. He pushed his players back from Sullen when he went down. He pushed those kids to fight through the bumps. CJ showed me tonight that we have a coach who is ready for the big stage. I can't wait until next season.

Oh, fire Price!
Ball Sumrall!
AugWave
Swell

It hurts, but I'm proud. Our defense is REAL. The recruits we have coming in have the opportunity to contribute early. Tanner Lee is probably licking his chops. My prayers go out to Cairo. This shouldn't have happened to him. Not on this stage. Not in this game.

Roll Damn Wave.
I don't yell. I don't scream. I don't argue. I just hit 'em over the head with a bottle.
HSV
High Tide

One can only pray that there is talent on the bench that will replace this o line next year.

Upside was the unexpected play of some receivers not named Grant today. With this QB situation that was a surprise. I concur about the defense and most of it is back next year. If the LBs get some size and depth they should continue to be the strength of the team.

It is time for some playmakers and talent to find its way to the offensive side of the ball

But if memory serves I don't think the recruiting class is weighted that way.

Eagle wave. CJ did a great job on the sidelines today. Reminds me of a sea captain who in the heat of battle calms his crew and rally's them to fight.
Eaglewave
Swell

HSV wrote:
Eagle wave. CJ did a great job on the sidelines today. Reminds me of a sea captain who in the heat of battle calms his crew and rally's them to fight.

Mad props for CJ for not letting these dudes break down. It just hurts how this thing ended. Santos didn't deserve to go out like this on this stage. I wish we would have taken one more shot down field, but this offensive line had CJ terrified to take another sack.
Ball Sumrall!
jonathanjoseph
Green Wave

HSV wrote:One can only pray that there is talent on the bench that will replace this o line next year.

Upside was the unexpected play of some receivers not named Grant today. With this QB situation that was a surprise. I concur about the defense and most of it is back next year. If the LBs get some size and depth they should continue to be the strength of the team.

It is time for some playmakers and talent to find its way to the offensive side of the ball

The OL's problems were mental more than physical (and there were physical issues too). That seems like coaching.

CJ was great as the general who set the tone and made this program tough, but the gameday, playcalling and clock management were awful.

The offense was horrendous. I don't understand how Eric Price doesn't get fired. That's the kind of accountability we need to restore at Tulane Athletics. Ironically, the running game was by far the best part of Tulane's offense.

This hurts a lot. A win would have meant a lot and we should have won. We beat ourselves a variety of different ways. SCared start, playcalling, penalties, poor QB play, Cairo hooking his last FG. Fix any one of those and we win. It hurts.
JerseyWave
Riptide

Powell and the offensive line. Bad snap killed one drive. Terrible two minute drill, clock management, and Powell taking the sack. I feel terrible for Cairo. Tulane has lost four of its last five games because of an atrocious offense!
wavedat
Swell

HSV wrote:Worst case scenario unfolding here.

National embarrassment on tv

Precursor of problems for next year. This team is too small. Will be manhandled in the AAC and OOC games.

Question needs to be asked about this staff going forward (and TU has just Bennie Ellendered this guy). I'm not saying he can't fix things and be better. But this type of beat down in a quarter makes you have to wonder how much further this program has to go.

ULL fans will rub this in for a long time. Recruiting takes a big hit. Tulane distant follower behind lsu and ULL as a program. Everyone knows it now. They have better everything. Fans. Facilities. Stadium players etc.

I hate to say it, but 12 days of extra practice do not make up for this.

What can they salvage out of this will be interesting. How much or will they score? Can they hold ULL under a really high number of points in the second half.

I wish for the best and hope CJ can make recruits and his players and staff forget this half (how many dead ball fouls will they get? Ten?)
God you are so depressing. You make this site hard to read. Please quit posting.
Tulane didn't have a stadium issue it had a program and facilities issues. To the new President- we want a new AD , a football facility and an IPF. We want top 25 programs in football and basketball the only two sports that count.
Eaglewave
Swell

jonathanjoseph wrote:
HSV wrote:One can only pray that there is talent on the bench that will replace this o line next year.

The OL's problems were mental more than physical (and there were physical issues too). That seems like coaching.

CJ was great as the general who set the tone and made this program tough, but the gameday, playcalling and clock management were awful.

The offense was horrendous. I don't understand how Eric Price doesn't get fired. That's the kind of accountability we need to restore at Tulane Athletics. Ironically, the running game was by far the best part of Tulane's offense.

This hurts a lot. A win would have meant a lot and we should have won. We beat ourselves a variety of different ways. SCared start, playcalling, penalties, poor QB play, Cairo hooking his last FG. Fix any one of those and we win. It hurts.

I believe we could have and should have pounded them on the ground the second half. Price needs to go.
Ball Sumrall!
Wave755
Tsunami

Agreed, if we had just run at them in the second half, we would have won. In the second half they didn't
Stop Darkwa at all. And, with very unpolished quarterbacks for our team, to say the least, running them ragged was the way to go.
RobertM320
Green Wave

Wave755 wrote:Agreed, if we had just run at them in the second half, we would have won. In the second half they didn't
Stop Darkwa at all. And, with very unpolished quarterbacks for our team, to say the least, running them ragged was the way to go.

This. We had them on their heels. Their offense had no solution to our blitzes in the second half, until that last drive that ate up most of the clock. And we were running effectively. I would like to have seen Santos with a shot at the 56 yard FG with 7 minutes left. Also, I think that six yard sack on Powell at the end made a bigger difference than we realize, because it moved the ball to the left hashmark. I think Santos is better from the right hash.
"That mantra is the only consistent thing that never needs to ever change for the rest of this program’s existence because that is all that matters & as long as that keeps occurring, everything will handle itself" -- Nick Anderson
TURVS71
Swell

Fun day in the quarter with the family....
Great atmosphere at the game....
Very disappointed in our fans.....VERY few showing colors in the French Quarter... spent 7 hours Friday and 5 hours Saturday......no excuse.....we had 5 and proudly showed our support......Tulane fans just seem to be a "strange" bunch......just don't understand.....

I am proud of the way the team fought back. That being said........AGAIN the slow start killed us.....I believe this is the 4th time this year that has occurred. Nick Montana just does not have it; Devon Powell frankly is better but not by much.......biggest concern for this team is O Line and quarterback...No big surprise here.......

Also, just remember that we were 6-2 and finished 7-6....CJ lost 4 of his last 5 games..........that can't be overlooked......

Good Season, Should have been Terrific season but we let it slip away.....Happy we made a bowl but we shot ourselves in the foot too many times this year.....
'Here's a song for the Olive and the Blue"