2013 R+L Carriers New Orleans Bowl (Tulane vs. ULL)

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Actual turnstile count was a shade under 45K. I confirmed this count yesterday. Either way it was the best Tulane football atmosphere since the last LSU game played in the dome with Matt Forte and Anthony Scelfo. I'm looking forward to seeing more of this as the program continues to progress.

Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
Wave755
Tsunami

tpstulane wrote:Actual turnstile count was a shade under 45K. I confirmed this count yesterday. Either way it was the best Tulane football atmosphere since the last LSU game played in the dome with Matt Forte and Anthony Scelfo. I'm looking forward to seeing more of this as the program continues to progress.
+1
lurker123
Swell

jonathanjoseph wrote: No one on this forum thought that there would be 18K "warm bodies" in the Dome against a non P5 team at the end of a 7-6 season. Meanwhile, it is now abundantly clear that if we continue the upward trend under CJ, we will be unable to schedule any decent P5 teams at Yulman by 2015.
Since you don't go the games anyway, how do you know? Are you saying we'll only schedule "decent" P5 teams in the Dome because Yulman won't be able to hold the expected crowd? Lots of teams including many in the P5 schedule one off "neutral" site games every season including our friends up river. Even in a P5 conference, Tulane could host Texas or OU in the Dome as needed. From the ACC, ND and perhaps FSU would need the Dome (Clemson would not) but that's it. TU is never rejoining the SEC and B1G and PAC 12 are N/A. Tulane doesn't need the Dome for any other potential conference foe whether P5 or AAC.

Are you saying no "decent" P5 teams will play Tulane in Yulman? Why not? Pay them enough and they will show. I can give you an arm load of examples on that although I guess at the end of the day, it will be your elastic definition of "decent" so you can't be wrong.

Again start showing up at games and maybe then your multiple daily rants which always devolve to the evil duo s$ck would resonate.
jonathanjoseph
Green Wave

lurker123 wrote:
jonathanjoseph wrote: No one on this forum thought that there would be 18K "warm bodies" in the Dome against a non P5 team at the end of a 7-6 season. Meanwhile, it is now abundantly clear that if we continue the upward trend under CJ, we will be unable to schedule any decent P5 teams at Yulman by 2015.
Since you don't go the games anyway, how do you know? Are you saying we'll only schedule "decent" P5 teams in the Dome because Yulman won't be able to hold the expected crowd? Lots of teams including many in the P5 schedule one off "neutral" site games every season including our friends up river. Even in a P5 conference, Tulane could host Texas or OU in the Dome as needed. From the ACC, ND and perhaps FSU would need the Dome (Clemson would not) but that's it. TU is never rejoining the SEC and B1G and PAC 12 are N/A. Tulane doesn't need the Dome for any other potential conference foe whether P5 or AAC.

Are you saying no "decent" P5 teams will play Tulane in Yulman? Why not? Pay them enough and they will show. I can give you an arm load of examples on that although I guess at the end of the day, it will be your elastic definition of "decent" so you can't be wrong.

Again start showing up at games and maybe then your multiple daily rants which always devolve to the evil duo s$ck would resonate.
It is nothing short of monumental ignorance to believe or not believe any arguments based on whether arguments come from someone who attends games in person or not. Do you think the crowd was not visible on TV? Are the facts not available to those who were not there?

The goal is to become a member of the Big 12 or ACC. If that were to happen, Yulman would be unable to handle most if not all conference games. The ignorance in assuming that Tulane will be drawing <10K and playing Jackson State and UTEP forever is stunning. Do you see how ULL operates? They are building their program and facilities as if they want to be in the Big12. That's how successful organizations operate.

Tulane just played in front of 45K against a non-P5 opponent. It's now safe to say we cannot play ULL at Yulman. ULL is not Texas or many other schools, who are all dying to have New Orleans as an away game trip. 45K is much, much bigger than Yulman could ever be, as recently confirmed by Yvette Jones. I guess you'd believe that fact if I had attended games in person though. :roll:
Wave755
Tsunami

At the end of the day let's not forget if Montana doesn't double pump an out route or Santos makes the field goal sending us to overtime, we would all be celebrating our first bowl win since 2002. This year was a "preseason" for the next in the AAC; our defense will be sound and let's hope Tanner Lee and the redshirt OL are ready for the big time and our new president is truly supportive of athletics.

I still think our future looks bright.
wavedat
Swell

lurker123 wrote:

LOL. I sear you must be RD. You can't stand the thought of a truly successful Tulane team regularly drawing over 40,00 no matter the opponent and 60-70,000 for big names. We can't play Ole Miss or Miss. St. in the POSS. We also can't pay big money to get name schools there b/c a 22,000 seat stadium won't provide the funds for that.
Tulane didn't have a stadium issue it had a program and facilities issues. To the new President- we want a new AD , a football facility and an IPF. We want top 25 programs in football and basketball the only two sports that count.
lurker123
Swell

jonathanjoseph wrote:
lurker123 wrote:

It is nothing short of monumental ignorance to believe or not believe any arguments based on whether arguments come from someone who attends games in person or not. Do you think the crowd was not visible on TV? Are the facts not available to those who were not there?

The goal is to become a member of the Big 12 or ACC. If that were to happen, Yulman would be unable to handle most if not all conference games. The ignorance in assuming that Tulane will be drawing <10K and playing Jackson State and UTEP forever is stunning. Do you see how ULL operates? They are building their program and facilities as if they want to be in the Big12. That's how successful organizations operate.

Tulane just played in front of 45K against a non-P5 opponent. It's now safe to say we cannot play ULL at Yulman. ULL is not Texas or many other schools, who are all dying to have New Orleans as an away game trip. 45K is much, much bigger than Yulman could ever be, as recently confirmed by Yvette Jones. I guess you'd believe that fact if I had attended games in person though. :roll:
Well since you have time to have posted here 3500 times, I would guess you would find a way to attend a Tulane game. My mistake although I saw a lot of other out of town alums at the NOLA Bowl. Perhaps they weren't as massively ignorant as me since I've only posted 100 times when I'm not attending Tulane games. Only 3400 to go to be admitted to the intelligent club.

Say Tulane were in the Big 12: do you really think that Iowa State would "oversell" Yulman even in these new BCS days? Did you see how well ISU traveled when they visited the Dome in 1987 (against a Mack Brown team!) and 1989. I must have missed how TCU packed the Superdome several times when they visited more recently. Man I'm sorry to know the Big 12 will axe Tulane's potential membership because KU or even WVU would fill the Dome because they love an N.O. road trip instead of having to play in POSS Yulman. Let's not forget the ACC: I've seen Pitt, BC, Syracuse, Duke, Miami among others play in New Orleans. I guess I missed how they took over the French Quarter when Tulane hosted them.

Meanwhile I'd welcome your factual assessment that any of these teams including Miami would make playing in Yulman worthless and force the ACC to give Tulane a pass.

Otherwise I note with interest that your San Francisco "hometown" school (Cal-Berkeley) announced that instead of using their on-campus stadium which they just spent a zillion dollars renovating, they are playing a home game in 2014 in Levi's stadium about 30 miles from Berkeley against Oregon (are they a "decent" P5 team?)

They only did that after trying to schedule next year's Stanford game there first and the Cal fans revolted because they wanted the game on campus. (Is Stanford a "decent" P5 team?) Do you think there is any way that a majority of Tulane fans who actually go to Tulane games (and not phantom visiting fans like those named above) but don't just post on internet boards might prefer the games on campus too especially if the opponent is a "decent" P5 team?

The only connection I can figure is of course ex-Tulane AD, Sandy Barbour, is responsible for this. (Hey all the problems of the world are Tulane administration's fault.) Before the "massively ignorant" evil duo of SC/RD took over and killed Tulane athletics, she was a member of the first evil duo, namely SC/SB, which hired Scelfo instead of RR and of course couldn't sell out the Dome during the 1998 undefeated season or 1999 coming off an undefeated season. Now she's trying to kill CAL after whiffing on Tulane by wanting to play select games off campus instead of in an on campus Memorial Stadium that CAL just spent $320 million upgrading (that is not a typo.)

I'm curious since you can't make it to Tulane games, do you go to CAL or Stanford home games or only when they start playing "decent" P5 teams in Levi's next year? Just asking since I don't know how to make one of those eye-roll icons or whatever you high-tech guys call those thingies.
OUG
Riptide

lurker123 wrote:
jonathanjoseph wrote:
lurker123 wrote:

Well since you have time to have posted here 3500 times, I would guess you would find a way to attend a Tulane game. My mistake although I saw a lot of other out of town alums at the NOLA Bowl. Perhaps they weren't as massively ignorant as me since I've only posted 100 times when I'm not attending Tulane games. Only 3400 to go to be admitted to the intelligent club.

Say Tulane were in the Big 12: do you really think that Iowa State would "oversell" Yulman even in these new BCS days? Did you see how well ISU traveled when they visited the Dome in 1987 (against a Mack Brown team!) and 1989. I must have missed how TCU packed the Superdome several times when they visited more recently. Man I'm sorry to know the Big 12 will axe Tulane's potential membership because KU or even WVU would fill the Dome because they love an N.O. road trip instead of having to play in POSS Yulman. Let's not forget the ACC: I've seen Pitt, BC, Syracuse, Duke, Miami among others play in New Orleans. I guess I missed how they took over the French Quarter when Tulane hosted them.

Meanwhile I'd welcome your factual assessment that any of these teams including Miami would make playing in Yulman worthless and force the ACC to give Tulane a pass.

Otherwise I note with interest that your San Francisco "hometown" school (Cal-Berkeley) announced that instead of using their on-campus stadium which they just spent a zillion dollars renovating, they are playing a home game in 2014 in Levi's stadium about 30 miles from Berkeley against Oregon (are they a "decent" P5 team?)

They only did that after trying to schedule next year's Stanford game there first and the Cal fans revolted because they wanted the game on campus. (Is Stanford a "decent" P5 team?) Do you think there is any way that a majority of Tulane fans who actually go to Tulane games (and not phantom visiting fans like those named above) but don't just post on internet boards might prefer the games on campus too especially if the opponent is a "decent" P5 team?

The only connection I can figure is of course ex-Tulane AD, Sandy Barbour, is responsible for this. (Hey all the problems of the world are Tulane administration's fault.) Before the "massively ignorant" evil duo of SC/RD took over and killed Tulane athletics, she was a member of the first evil duo, namely SC/SB, which hired Scelfo instead of RR and of course couldn't sell out the Dome during the 1998 undefeated season or 1999 coming off an undefeated season. Now she's trying to kill CAL after whiffing on Tulane by wanting to play select games off campus instead of in an on campus Memorial Stadium that CAL just spent $320 million upgrading (that is not a typo.)

I'm curious since you can't make it to Tulane games, do you go to CAL or Stanford home games or only when they start playing "decent" P5 teams in Levi's next year? Just asking since I don't know how to make one of those eye-roll icons or whatever you high-tech guys call those thingies.

wavedat
Swell

lurker123 wrote:
jonathanjoseph wrote:
lurker123 wrote:

You really are RD. You don't know anything about Tulane athletics. SB hired RR but was overruled by SC. It's why RR was there in a green coat and tie. As for selling out the stadium in 98 and 99 there was no chance. Tulane had gone 15 years w/out a winning season before TB/RR. We beat no one while they were here. The crowds did build as 98 went on. Had SB not been overruled the crowds would have kept building.
Tulane didn't have a stadium issue it had a program and facilities issues. To the new President- we want a new AD , a football facility and an IPF. We want top 25 programs in football and basketball the only two sports that count.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Possible Tulane win by forfeit. ULL will likely vacate all wins from 2012-2014 involving any ineligible players. Waiting to hear if they played in the NOLA Bowl.
The ineligible players have not yet been named publicly that participated. ULL will identify at a later date.
It is also likely Louisiana-Lafayette will vacate wins from the 2012-14 seasons “in which student-athletes competed while ineligible.” The report stated that the university will identify those games.
Tulane Class of 1981
DrBox
Riptide

I believe that, in this age, when wins are vacated, they are just vacated. Ls don't become Ws. The Ws just disappear.
ajcalhoun
Swell

DrBox wrote:I believe that, in this age, when wins are vacated, they are just vacated. Ls don't become Ws. The Ws just disappear.

Let's not spoil the fun with pesky facts. Print the shirts! "Tulane Green Wave: 2013 NOLA Bowl Champs!"
God Bless Everyone!
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

DrBox wrote:I believe that, in this age, when wins are vacated, they are just vacated. Ls don't become Ws. The Ws just disappear.
Ok. That makes sense. So we didn't lose either. Lol
Tulane Class of 1981
DrBox
Riptide

ajcalhoun wrote:

Let's not spoil the fun with pesky facts. Print the shirts! "Tulane Green Wave: 2013 NOLA Bowl Champs!"
That would have been a classic Dickson move.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

DrBox wrote:
ajcalhoun wrote:

That would have been a classic Dickson move.
Although the T-Shirt idea is Dicksonian in nature, it would have required too much thought for Rick D. to come up with it. If one of his minions suggested it, he might go ahead and place the order. Last time I checked nobody was wearing a tie with a tee shirt.
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
Jonathan
Riptide

I understand U La La's one or two point win in the New Orleans Bowl over Tulane will be wiped clean and deleted from their win-loss record by the NCAA because of the cheating in football recruiting. Could not happen to a better cheating program. This game set the all time to date attendance record for the New Orleans Bowl of approximately 56,000 and the Lafayette faithful claim. 55,999 U La La fans were in the stands and one from Tulane. These people are hilarious!
IM42lane
Swell

ULL has to forfeit FB wins from tha past.

When will they send Tulane the bowl trophy?

http://www.wwltv.com/mb/sports/ul-forfe ... s/66213860
Regards,
"Pete" Madere
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

Tulane does not get a W from the New Orleans bowl. The win is vacated. The losing team is not declared the winner.
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
Wave755
Tsunami

DfromCT wrote:Tulane does not get a W from the New Orleans bowl. The win is vacated. The losing team is not declared the winner.
And, ULALA by consent for the sanctions received from the NCAA can never display its trophy or make reference as winner of the 2013 New Orleans Bowl. :shakingno:
IM42lane
Swell

DfromCT wrote: Tulane does not get a W from the New Orleans Bowl . The win is vacated. The losing team is not declared the winner.
So, therefore, that NOLA Bowl game turns out to be an exercise in futility, correct ?
Regards,
"Pete" Madere
Wave755
Tsunami

IM42lane wrote:
DfromCT wrote: Tulane does not get a W from the New Orleans Bowl . The win is vacated. The losing team is not declared the winner.
So, therefore, that NOLA Bowl game turns out to be an exercise in futility, correct ?
\
Well, it was a lot of fun and if Santos had made that field goal it would have been even more fun since we would have beat them in OT. But admittedly it lead to nothing since CJ was a dead end as coach and we are yet again rebooting our program but this time with Fitts, Hertz, Dannon and Fritz in command.
IM42lane
Swell

DfromCT wrote: Tulane does not get a W from the New Orleans Bowl. The win is vacated. The losing team is not declared the winner.
Since ULL must vacate the win, shouldn't Tulane be allowed to vacate the loss (putting the record for that season back to 7-5) ???
Regards,
"Pete" Madere
Wave755
Tsunami

IM42lane wrote:
DfromCT wrote: Tulane does not get a W from the New Orleans Bowl. The win is vacated. The losing team is not declared the winner.
Since ULL must vacate the win, shouldn't Tulane be allowed to vacate the loss (putting the record for that season back to 7-5) ???
Yes
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

Wave755 wrote:
IM42lane wrote:
\
Well, it was a lot of fun and if Santos had made that field goal it would have been even more fun since we would have beat them in OT. But admittedly it lead to nothing since CJ was a dead end as coach and we are yet again rebooting our program but this time with Fitts, Hertz, Dannon and Fritz in command.

an exercise in "futility"... I beg to differ, look at all of that extra prime practice time the players received under the watchful eye of CJ and the Pricless bros!!!
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !