Tulane 13 - Rice 17

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
Jonathan
Riptide

I cannot drive to Houston and would like to see it on TV.

Robert1969
Riptide

Fox College Sports.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Rice opens as a 13 1/2 point favorite. Bet it while you can get it.

http://www.theneworleansadvocate.com/sp ... -tulane-vs
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
IM42lane
Swell

From what I understand, if Rice wins over Tulane, then the Owls are the West representative in the league championship game -- NO tiebreakers come into play. If Tulane wins, then this causes a BIG MESS for the league in the West.

Get ready for every close call to go the Owls way. C*USA does not want to deal with a mess at the end of the season. The league is definitely pulling for the Owls to win the West.

I am very glad that Tulane is playing the last FB game for an 'outside shot' at something for the first time in over 10 years. However, Tulane only has themselves to blame for only scoring 7 points against UTSA to set up this crazy scenario. How can you only score 7 points on one Saturday, and then score 45 in the next game?

Well, at least a winning season has been clinched. Tulane will enter the AAC next year as winners instead of whiners.
Regards,
"Pete" Madere
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

From what I've read, Rice is a run-first offense, and they run the ball well. Tulane D has done well to stop the run. Rice hasn't been overly impressive in their run through CUSA, but, then again, neither has Tulane. This game should be an old fashioned slugfest. If the Tulane O can keep some momentum from this past week, I'll be happy with Tulane plus the points!
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
Jonathan
Riptide

I agree I feel that we have a very good chance to defeat Rice. The problem is that I do not see any way UTSA can lose to La. Tech which if we defeat Rice and they win as expected does not give us the Western CUSA division title. New Orleans Bowl versus U La La or as they now brand themselves in violation of state law, Louisiana,and their 45000 fans here we come!
greenphantom
Swell

To be honest, I don't think we deserve to play for a championship anyway, not that UTSA does either. Will just be happy if we win and go into a bowl game with an 8-4 record.
OUG
Riptide

If UTSA wins the division, I think that might automatically qualify the East rep for the Liberty. UTSA isn't bowl eligible this year, and them winning the title game shouldn't change that -- after all, the winner of the title game does not automatically go to the Liberty, they just get first choice.

I think we beat Rice. As someone who bets on football on occasion, the +13 line is screaming for you to put money on Tulane. If you look at who Rice has beaten by more than 13, you come up with a home game against UTEP (horrible), a road game against New Mexico State (UTEP beat them!), and a home game vs. La Tech (no great shakes either). There are some common opponents where we have better scores (UNT, Tulsa, UTEP), some where they do (FAU, UTSA, La Tech). When I'm looking at a point spread as big as 13, I have to feel there's no chance for the underdog to win in order to bet the favorite. When you look at how good TU's scoring defense is, and how good their turnover margin is, you don't get that sense with Tulane at Rice.

I feel like the game will come down to one or two possessions. Tulane's strength is stopping the run, and particularly bringing speed to the outside edge on run defense. I think that helps us here, and I like the Wave 23-16.
Wave755
Tsunami

Vegas line has Rice opening a 13 & 1/2 point favorite.
http://www.vegasinsider.com/college-foo ... las-vegas/ (Tulane-Rice 379-380 for spread sheet)

For Jeff Sagarin's ratings formula Rice is about a 6 & 1/2 point favorite over Wave. Sagarin had us 24 & 1/2 over UTEP, much closer to correct than Vegas or anyone else for the game.
Last edited by Wave755 on Mon Nov 25, 2013 6:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Wave QB
Swell

OUG wrote:If UTSA wins the division, I think that might automatically qualify the East rep for the Liberty. UTSA isn't bowl eligible this year, and them winning the title game shouldn't change that -- after all, the winner of the title game does not automatically go to the Liberty, they just get first choice.

I think we beat Rice. As someone who bets on football on occasion, the +13 line is screaming for you to put money on Tulane. If you look at who Rice has beaten by more than 13, you come up with a home game against UTEP (horrible), a road game against New Mexico State (UTEP beat them!), and a home game vs. La Tech (no great shakes either). There are some common opponents where we have better scores (UNT, Tulsa, UTEP), some where they do (FAU, UTSA, La Tech). When I'm looking at a point spread as big as 13, I have to feel there's no chance for the underdog to win in order to bet the favorite. When you look at how good TU's scoring defense is, and how good their turnover margin is, you don't get that sense with Tulane at Rice.

I feel like the game will come down to one or two possessions. Tulane's strength is stopping the run, and particularly bringing speed to the outside edge on run defense. I think that helps us here, and I like the Wave 23-16.

This game will be in the hands of our offense. Our defense is good enough to handle Rice. Believe it or not, I won't be shocked at a La Tech win.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

long range Saturday Forecast for Space City....Partly Cloudy 71 degrees with a slight ESE breeze at 7MPH...so come out and enjoy historic Rice Stadium and the Rice MOB
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
wacowave
Ripple

Will be looking for pub partners before game!
Jonathan
Riptide

I cannot find it on the Direct TV guide or menu. Can you be more specific where I can find it on Direct TV? What channel and time?
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

How about some help from our Houston members to paste Articles from the print media onto this thread... I am sure there are several but I am not going to pay to subscribe
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

Jonathan wrote:I cannot find it on the Direct TV guide or menu. Can you be more specific where I can find it on Direct TV? What channel and time?
This is not difficult....go to foxsports.com ...click on watch on the header bar...than click on listings, enter your zip code in the required field...it gives you listings and stations on a daily basis per time slot... all of this from someone who can barely turn on his lap top
TURVS71
Swell

I will be flying to Houston Saturday morning to attend the game then flying back to New Orleans that night. This is not to disparage any other fan. I only say this to just confirm what kind of supporter and fan of the program I and my family are and to let "others" know that the program needs more of these types of fans. Run your athletic department the CORRECT way and stop the personal vendetta ...oh and I am sure Cowen has room on the moving truck for you and your belongings!
'Here's a song for the Olive and the Blue"
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

As much as some of us have lamented Nico Marley's lack of height, he's a downright giant compared to the smallest player on Rice's squad. This kid made his debut a few weeks ago, and Nico is almost a foot taller!

http://espn.go.com/college-football/sto ... -rice-owls
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
Jonathan
Riptide

Thanks
dpm wave
Swell

Channel 219 on DirecTV and 150 on Dish @ 2 PM Central.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fox_Sports_1
http://www.tulanegreenwave.com
http://www.google.com

Google is this great new company that has perfected this thing called on the internets called a "search engine." It basically answers just about any question you have if you know how to ask it.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
Dave breslin
Swell

I'd like to ask google "How does RD keep his job?"
glennc
Low Tide

Channel 336 on cox new Orleans. Probably need sports package.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Dave breslin wrote:I'd like to ask google "How does RD keep his job?"
The one question it can't answer.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

golfnut69
Wild Pelican

Dave breslin wrote:I'd like to ask google "How does RD keep his job?"
The Google Answer;
Considering Job Resposibilities, Past Employee Performance, Google determines that his boss must be an azz and employee only moves when the strings are pulled !!!!