Football Transfers

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
NOLABigSteve
Riptide

D.J. Banks
Payten Jason

Roll Wave!
Tulane University c/o 2003
Football Defensive End '99, '00, '01, '02
2002 Hawaii Bowl Champions
School of Engineering (Computer Science)
torbida
Surge

the rb and wr positions appear deep but it's sad when good players want out.I wish Cowen would transfer.
cdozer
Ripple

What's funny in all this is just a couple years ago, these type players were the crown jewels of BT's recruiting classes and now on the yoggie board they were just scrubs that would never play much anyway. What a fantasy world.
torbida
Surge

the yoggie board is pathetic.It's sad that those guys were huge commits now they want out.Makes me really wonder about Toledo.
Pepper
Swell

But, but but I thought these were "Toledo's players". He couldn't win with CS's.
"Purple & Gold? You look ridiculous!"-Johnny Be Good.
Jaxwave
Swell

If you were a decent football player would you accept sitting on the bench at this program in its current state? I am surprised Jason is leaving seeing as he got lots of opportunities this year when I didn't think he necessarily earned them. Ole Miss game was a perfect exanple when he was inserted near the goal line and fumbled. He appeared rusty after laying out last year with the injury.
tnelly15
Riptide

I never like seeing guys transfer, but I always thought Jason took some carries that Williams should have been given.
Dupergreenie
Surge

Jaxwave wrote:If you were a decent football player would you accept sitting on the bench at this program in its current state? I am surprised Jason is leaving seeing as he got lots of opportunities this year when I didn't think he necessarily earned them. Ole Miss game was a perfect exanple when he was inserted near the goal line and fumbled. He appeared rusty after laying out last year with the injury.

While I don't disagree with you, do you think a player who is/was still physically not ready to make cuts should have been taking an option pitch on the goal line? PJ should have been red shirted this season so he could have been fully healed when he came back. And then in 2011 he could have come in and possibly been fully healed and could have been a nice 1-2 punch with Darkwa. However I know Toledo likes to ride one horse, it would have been nice to have that 1-2.
sader24
Tsunami

Either these players weren't as good as advertised (which means Toledo really can't recruit) were selfish me first type players (which means Toledo isn't recruiting the "great" kids we are told he is) or they were promised a more dynamic/prolific offense and became disgruntled (which means Toledo can't coach) or they think the program is going nowhere and want to get off a sinking ship (which means all of the above). Any way you slice it to lose 2 of our bigger recruits over the last few years (Banks especially) says alot, especially when Banks is starting and Jason got close to 70 carries this year. I guess when Darkwa and a WR get hurt next year we're going to have to listen to Toledo complain about being young and having no depth.
sader24
Tsunami

Also, what does it say about YOGWF that you cant say negative thing about a Tulane coach during the season, but as soon as someone transfers because said coach is doing a horrendous job you can bash the living sh*t out of the kid and talk about how he wasn't any good to start with.
JTLiuzza
Swell

sader24 wrote:Also, what does it say about YOGWF that you cant say negative thing about a Tulane coach during the season, but as soon as someone transfers because said coach is doing a horrendous job you can bash the living sh*t out of the kid and talk about how he wasn't any good to start with.
I never did quite understand how that works. To me is should be open season on coaches year round. They get paid a lot of money to do what they do and are big boys and girls. There's no logic at all behind a gag order during the season. Can you imagine if the media in general practiced such foolishness?

And when I hear of a transfer, the first thing I think of is how the poor kid is going to get lambasted in certain quarters just as sure as the sun will come up tomorrow. It happens every time. And it will be by the same people who think it unfair or inappropriate to point out that a six figure a year football coach is not getting it done.
The second commandment has not been abrogated.
Green Wave
Swell

Now lets see. Darkwa is a Freshman and he posted the biggest freshman season in History for Tulane where does that leave me?

Please release me let me go......

For I don't love you anymore

:roll:
ROLL WAVE!
NOLABigSteve
Riptide

From a playing - time standpoint, I can't blame PJ. I'm sure everything ELSE that's been going on made his decision that much easier.
Roll Wave!
Tulane University c/o 2003
Football Defensive End '99, '00, '01, '02
2002 Hawaii Bowl Champions
School of Engineering (Computer Science)
Green Wave
Swell

NOLABigSteve wrote:From a playing - time standpoint, I can't blame PJ. I'm sure everything ELSE that's been going on made his decision that much easier.
Maybe we do have better depth. We now have two guys that want to play all the time but cant because there is someone on the team better than them. I think I will miss D J more than I will P J :cry:

I am now going to look at the bright side of this. Two more scholarships to hand out to recruits that want to play for Tulane. :D
ROLL WAVE!
Bigschtick
Riptide

Without question, we got one of the worse coaching staff's in the country. Unlike Conroy, he cannot get the best out of the talent he does have. When Dickson decided to keep this clown and then had the audacity to extend him one year, he was making it clear to those who love the program that neither he nor that other clown, Cowen, give a crap. It was a double slap in the face. When you look at the other conference teams, even Rice, they are all signing FAR more three star players than Tulane. And what about all the kids they brought in for visits lately. News of commitments have been few and far between. Great news with Darkma. But one talented kid cannot carry a whole team. We were not chalking many victories when we had Moore. Tulane football is a disaster and it will not be pretty next year either. Perhaps we are really Tulame to have a program that would make us proud. As alumni, we have a love for the school that neither Dickson nor Cowen share. Very sad.
Speak softly but carry a bigschtick! In Sumrall We Trust!
jonathanjoseph
Green Wave

1ndabag wrote:
sader24 wrote:Also, what does it say about YOGWF that you cant say negative thing about a Tulane coach during the season, but as soon as someone transfers because said coach is doing a horrendous job you can bash the living sh*t out of the kid and talk about how he wasn't any good to start with.
I never did quite understand how that works. To me is should be open season on coaches year round. They get paid a lot of money to do what they do and are big boys and girls. There's no logic at all behind a gag order during the season. Can you imagine if the media in general practiced such foolishness?

And when I hear of a transfer, the first thing I think of is how the poor kid is going to get lambasted in certain quarters just as sure as the sun will come up tomorrow. It happens every time. And it will be by the same people who think it unfair or inappropriate to point out that a six figure a year football coach is not getting it done.
Because the rule was never meant to actually discourage discussion of coaches. Discussion of coaches is just a proxy for complaining about the state of the Tulane athletics program and everyone should be complaining all the time.

The guy is a small minded hypocrite who has damaged Tulane athletics by helping to mask real problems. His insistence that there is a "commitment" to win is simply delusional. YOGWF is bad for Tulane athletics.
JTLiuzza
Swell

jonathanjoseph wrote:YOGWF is bad for Tulane athletics.
I agree jonathan. I refer to them as the worst fans in college athletics for that very reason. Enablers, blindly carrying the water for leadership that has proven itself hostile to D1 football, cheerleaders for failure.
The second commandment has not been abrogated.