Avg Age Bracket of GoTula and TU Fans In General

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.

Avg Age Bracket of GoTula and TU Fans In General

0-21
2%
21-30
18%
30-40
20%
40-50
20%
50-60
27%
60-70
11%
70+
2%

Total votes: 55
wavefan03
Surge

Somebody on here referenced a TU football coach in the 60's and his style compared to CJ's. Got me thinking... I'm guessing GolfNut is in his 80's, AJCalhoun too.

swampnik
Surge

Bobby Duhon fan and currently 58 years young and listened to the Wave on KEEL radio in Shreveport through 1972.
nic, nic, nic, swamp!
-Jack N. (Easy Rider)
RobertM320
Green Wave

Earliest memories of TU football was Warren Bankston and Bobby Duhon. 54 years old, but being local, I'm familiar with the history going further back.
"That mantra is the only consistent thing that never needs to ever change for the rest of this program’s existence because that is all that matters & as long as that keeps occurring, everything will handle itself" -- Nick Anderson
msdos
Swell

yall some old ass mutha fuckas
waveclem
Surge

My earliest memories are of Terrance Jones and in a game against either Iowa state or maybe Louisville . We were winning until the end when they scored a touchdown and then went for two to take the lead. My mind was blown. I couldn't understand why they were getting another chance to score a touchdown when they just scored one. My dad didn't have the time to explain to a five yr old, he was disgusted in anger. Not much has changed.
RobertM320
Green Wave

msdos wrote:yall some old ass mutha fuckas
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

It just seems that way. The Duhon-Bankston era is my very earliest memory of Tulane football. I remember on Saturday nights sitting in the living room listening to the radio broadcast. I guess it would be 1967-68, somewhere around there. Never crossed my mind at the time that eight years later I'd be going to school at Tulane and attending those very same games.

One of my best memories of Tulane football to this day was being in a packed Municipal Auditorium watching the closed-circuit broadcast of the 1973 game against LSU, where we ended the 25 year losing streak. It was every bit as loud as being at the game.
"That mantra is the only consistent thing that never needs to ever change for the rest of this program’s existence because that is all that matters & as long as that keeps occurring, everything will handle itself" -- Nick Anderson
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

wavefan03 wrote:Somebody on here referenced a TU football coach in the 60's and his style compared to CJ's. Got me thinking... I'm guessing GolfNut is in his 80's, AJCalhoun too.

Not quite the 80's...only early 60's...but then again that is what you get with fans who have been for life...and FYI bring your clubs, I will be happy to take your money !!!!

I will donate back to TAF in your name !!!
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
Wavetime
Swell

I vaguely remember old Tulane Stadium, sitting in the South Endzone. Loved watching the beer guys with the back packs pour draft. I also remember going to a couple of games with the cub scouts. I was at the 1974 game. I really started paying attention with Roch Hontas. I remember the Ole Miss, Stanford and LSU games, what a blast!
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

RobertM320 wrote:
msdos wrote:yall some old ass mutha fuckas
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

It just seems that way. The Duhon-Bankston era is my very earliest memory of Tulane football. I remember on Saturday nights sitting in the living room listening to the radio broadcast. I guess it would be 1967-68, somewhere around there. Never crossed my mind at the time that eight years later I'd be going to school at Tulane and attending those very same games.

One of my best memories of Tulane football to this day was being in a packed Municipal Auditorium watching the closed-circuit broadcast of the 1973 game against LSU, where we ended the 25 year losing streak. It was every bit as loud as being at the game.
I forgot about the "close circuit" at Municipal...but I was in the North End Zone, with a Delta Airlines flight attendent who grew up a UGA Fan...when she told her parents she was going to the Tulane - LSU game, they all wanted to come to NOLA......we all lived in the Singles Only apt complex between Bonnabel and Causeway Blvd fronting I-10...ahh back in da day...the complex was across I-10 from the "GateHouse Apts"
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

WaveFan.. I played LB at East Jeff Hi School.. I played with Jim Pittmans son and a guy name Chuck Dees who played at Miss State and later the Saints...Alec Pittman played at Bama...so yes I know some of the Tulane Staff from the "60's...watch O'Boyles and Pilney's teams while I was in Grade school and Jr Hi
RobertM320
Green Wave

Wavetime wrote:I vaguely remember old Tulane Stadium, sitting in the South Endzone. Loved watching the beer guys with the back packs pour draft. I also remember going to a couple of games with the cub scouts. I was at the 1974 game. I really started paying attention with Roch Hontas. I remember the Ole Miss, Stanford and LSU games, what a blast!
That 1979 season with Roch Hontas was my senior year. Stanford was the opening game, with Guy Benjamin at QB. Then, the week after we pull the major upset, we lose to Rice, who was terrible. Last two home games of the season were Ole Miss and LSU, and both games were sellouts or close to it. John Fourcade was the QB for the Rebels that game, and we destroyed them. The atmostphere was as good as any college game, and yes, it was in the Superdome.
GreenLantern
Riptide

I had to be the oldest guy ever to graduate from Tulane (aged 52 when I got my B.S. in 2000). Spent my younger years getting my kids through college...then returned to fulfill a lifelong dream.

I was a little confused at the poll question: "What do I think is the average age of GoTula and Tulane Fans"...or "What is my age". I responded with my age (66).

Agree with MsDos...we some old dudes, us.
RobertM320
Green Wave

GreenLantern wrote:I had to be the oldest guy ever to graduate from Tulane (aged 52 when I got my B.S. in 2000). Spent my younger years getting my kids through college...then returned to fulfill a lifelong dream.

I was a little confused at the poll question: "What do I think is the average age of GoTula and Tulane Fans"...or "What is my age". I responded with my age (66).

Agree with MsDos...we some old dudes, us.
I responded the same way. I think that's how most responded.
Houma de Wave
Swell

First game for me: 1960 Tulane-Alabama game...ended in a 6-6 tie...Tommy Mason was our star RB! Alabama went on to go 8-1-2 that year for Coach Bryant. 43,000 attended that game. I was 7 and hooked on Tulane football.
green4life
Low Tide

we moved to NOLA in '65 when Dad finished (retired) from the USAF and started working at TU. so I went to a LOT of games in the Stadium. I remember HOT day games, smashing mustard packets. Got to go to SB IV (had to wear a tie). He was honorary coach for the 44-6 victory against Ohio U. still have the decorative games ball signed by the team, including Moon Mullins.

Yeah Bobby Duhon is legendary, as are Bankston, The Foleys, Olivari, Hall, etc. Dr Hontas (Classmate) ...moved way away and lost track....then... moved back to south east and picked it up with 1998, JP Losman and the hawaii bowl....etc.

class of 80.
Mechanical Engineering (quoth the raven)
Fan since 1965 and was at the 14-0 Victory over LSU. It can be done.
billow
High Tide

My father attended Tulane in the mid twenties, can recall him singing the fight song in mid 50's. Have been hooked ever since. Got my legislative scholarship in 60's. Remember Petibon Mason Nugent Colquette Miller Burgeries(sp) East Duhon. got my start watching TU vs Ole Miss on Saturday afternoon in stadium in 58. Rest is history, haven't miss many games in 50 plus years. Hopefully I can see another 20 plus more!
51WaveBG
High Tide

Not sure that this is good or bad, but I'll do it anyway. I believe that I may be the oldest member of this board @ age 85. Saw games in old TU stadium during 1948-49-50 seasons. Graduated in June 1951. Got to see the great Eddie Price play!
Was @ the Orange Bowl in Miami, Fl and witnessed the "infamous 5th down play" (allowed by SEC officiating). Still shoot my age in golf, playing 2 18 hole rounds and sometimes more per week. Been a fan since 1948 and used to listen to the night games on WWL. Wouldn't mind if TU gets the Beef O' Brady Bowl in St. Pete, Fl, because I live close enough to go.
Dave breslin
Swell

Hello 51 Wave. My dad was a graduate in 51. Came to TU on GI bill after WW II. We lived in the old barracks( stadium place. The married dorms in those days) He ,along with a few friends,followed the wave faithfully. I think they would be sick knowing the department is run the way it is
HoustonWave
Tsunami

My first Tulane game was in the fall of 1971, we beat Texas Tech in Tulane Stadium, on a steamy sultry night. I've been hooked, and have witnessed all the agony and ecstasy, ever since.
Tulane is the University of Louisiana
OGSB
Swell

1983 vs. Mississippi St. Tulane recovered a fumble on the opening kickoff, kicked a field goal and wound up losing 30-3.
Livin' rent free
GreenLantern
Riptide

51WaveBG wrote:Not sure that this is good or bad, but I'll do it anyway. I believe that I may be the oldest member of this board @ age 85. Saw games in old TU stadium during 1948-49-50 seasons. Graduated in June 1951. Got to see the great Eddie Price play!
Was @ the Orange Bowl in Miami, Fl and witnessed the "infamous 5th down play" (allowed by SEC officiating). Still shoot my age in golf, playing 2 18 hole rounds and sometimes more per week. Been a fan since 1948 and used to listen to the night games on WWL. Wouldn't mind if TU gets the Beef O' Brady Bowl in St. Pete, Fl, because I live close enough to go.
Hats off to you, 51Wave. That's loyalty! When you're in the New Orleans area, let's play golf. I don't plan on being able to shoot my age unless I outlive Methuselah.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

HoustonWave wrote:My first Tulane game was in the fall of 1971, we beat Texas Tech in Tulane Stadium, on a steamy sultry night. I've been hooked, and have witnessed all the agony and ecstasy, ever since.
I was at that game also, if memory serves it was the first game of the season... I think Tulane had played Tech the previous year in "lovely Lubbock"( I had to say that for my wifes sake)
Bigschtick
Riptide

I graduated in 1969 and thus all my games were at Tulane stadium against SEC
teams. Then we all wore sport coats when taking a date and snuck bottles of Jack Daniels in to mix with a
coke. I do not recall us winning many games but it was great fun and I remember being so proud that we
has such a large stadium on campus.
Speak softly but carry a bigschtick! In Sumrall We Trust!
swampnik
Surge

golfnut69 wrote:WaveFan.. I played LB at East Jeff Hi School.. I played with Jim Pittmans son and a guy name Chuck Dees who played at Miss State and later the Saints...Alec Pittman played at Bama...so yes I know some of the Tulane Staff from the "60's...watch O'Boyles and Pilney's teams while I was in Grade school and Jr Hi

Golfnut: Do you remember Lloyd Pye (punter and 3rd string RB) from Pittman's team in 67/68?
He is now in Pensacola and battling cancer.
nic, nic, nic, swamp!
-Jack N. (Easy Rider)
ajcalhoun
Swell

wavefan03 wrote: I'm guessing GolfNut is in his 80's, AJCalhoun too.
Holy shit! 80's? No wonder I have such problems snaring young poon!

OK, I'm 58 and grew up in a Tulane family spitting distance from campus so I've been going to games since Kennedy was president.

And stay off of my lawn.
God Bless Everyone!