Cowen Talk *sports related*

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
JDTulane
Riptide

Dear Students:

Tulane has been a bit star-struck lately with actors Jonah Hill and Channing Tatum filming scenes from "22 Jump Street" on campus, "The Queen Latifah Show" taping from the steps of Gibson Hall and the History Channel filming in one of our earth and environmental sciences labs.

Major motion pictures shooting on campus are not only for fun. They assist Louisiana's growing film industry, an important part of our city and state's economy. They also benefit Tulane by raising our profile and creating a positive buzz and excitement about the university. "The Queen Latifah Show" taping, for instance, featured both Tulane students and a special group of alumnae. Tulane students have also been hired as extras and have earned a few speaking roles in the many films we have hosted throughout the years. Margie and I even got to do a cameo appearance in "22 Jump Street." And that photo of Channing Tatum in a football uniform riding through campus with Jonah Hill has been tweeted and retweeted more times than I can count.

This is all great, but the football players who really deserve tweeting are our own Green Wave, who USA Today just named the nation's top "surprise team." This team is fun to watch and last week's triple overtime victory was one of the most exciting and nail-biting sporting events I have ever witnessed at Tulane. To make sure you are part of this year's fun, we are offering every faculty and staff member two free tickets to the Green Wave's next game against Tulsa at 2:30 p.m., Oct. 26, in the Mercedes-Benz Superdome. You and the team will get to see my hair a lovely shade of (TBD) for this game.

I also definitely plan to visit with students in the tailgating section before the game. Athletics is planning a huge pre-game party for our students with free food, soft drinks and music. It is sort of a Homecoming Part II to make up for some of the special events that got rained out for this year's Homecoming. I know it will be a blast. Our students pour their hearts into everything they do -- in the classroom, on the field, in the stands and in the community they are the real superstars who make the real difference.

Have a great weekend,

President Cowen

JerseyWave
Riptide

Too little, too late Scottso. I could care less what color your hair is. You allowed Tulane athletics to slip into the abyss for over a decade and have never held your idiot AD accountable. Too bad you failed to recognize what a winning Football team can do for the University 15 years ago.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

JerseyWave wrote:Too little, too late Scottso. I could care less what color your hair is. You allowed Tulane athletics to slip into the abyss for over a decade and have never held your idiot AD accountable. Too bad you failed to recognize what a winning Football team can do for the University 15 years ago.
+1000

I'll give him a blue sticky star for trying but WAY too late. If SC had used the same considerable efforts that went into marketing SC during his reign to market Tulane Football, and build on rather than destroy the momentum in the wake of the 1998 season (YES THIS MEANS HIRING RR, AND PUTTING THE EFFORT INTO GETTING INTO A BCS CONFERENCE) Tulane would be in the "HAVES" category rather than the "HAVE NOTS" we're mired in.

ROLL WAVE
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
mbawavefan12
Tsunami

I give him credit for seeing the light 15 years later. Really not much of a fan of the "students......pouring their hearts out in the stands", just not into that contrived garbage.

I would love to know if the 5-2 start and national recognition has increased donations and/or whether TU is utilizing the free exposure to reach out to alums especially high net worth folks. Hell, if we get another $10-$20mm, could a parking garage be built or the stadium seating/amenities increased? Or even better an roof put over the field turf field in front of Riley. :o
JDTulane
Riptide

We have no where to put a garage. The Rosen lot's ebb and flow would be terrible for a lot to go there apparently (VP's words). I don't really see the need for a parking lot literally only used 6 days a year. Real estate on campus is way way wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyy too valuable.

What they need to do is say fuck the neighbors and get rid of this 2 hr parking BS or open up parking everywhere on game day.
10thman
Trickle

Would be nice if he told the faculty/staff how to get their 2 free tickets. Got to start making phone calls...
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

JDTulane wrote:We have no where to put a garage. The Rosen lot's ebb and flow would be terrible for a lot to go there apparently (VP's words). I don't really see the need for a parking lot literally only used 6 days a year. Real estate on campus is way way wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyy too valuable.

What they need to do is say f**k the neighbors and get rid of this 2 hr parking BS or open up parking everywhere on game day.
Exactly, Why can't we TAXPAYERS park 6 days a year a for a few hours on Saturday afternoon in the University section?
Last edited by tpstulane on Fri Oct 18, 2013 11:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
JDTulane
Riptide

I think you meant can't? ;]
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

JDTulane wrote:I think you meant can't? ;]
Thx, fixed it!
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
mbawavefan12
Tsunami

JDTulane wrote:We have no where to put a garage. The Rosen lot's ebb and flow would be terrible for a lot to go there apparently (VP's words). I don't really see the need for a parking lot literally only used 6 days a year. Real estate on campus is way way wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyy too valuable.

What they need to do is say f**k the neighbors and get rid of this 2 hr parking BS or open up parking everywhere on game day.
I was referring to a close satellite lot that included tailgating space. Across Claiborne, near the park, hell even the land near Oschner, figure something out with Loyola, idk but money and creativity can solve most problems. On campus would be tough to fit, but a small garage would certainly be utilized during the week.
JDTulane
Riptide

I wish we could just build onto our current garage. But there's my ignorance on zoning laws and structure support.
mbawavefan12
Tsunami

JDTulane wrote:I wish we could just build onto our current garage. But there's my ignorance on zoning laws and structure support.
I think the height cannot go much higher (NIMBYs and zoning issue), you would have to build above the field.
IM42lane
Swell

JDTulane wrote:
Dear Students:

Tulane has been a bit star-struck lately with actors Jonah Hill and Channing Tatum filming scenes from "22 Jump Street" on campus, "The Queen Latifah Show" taping from the steps of Gibson Hall and the History Channel filming in one of our earth and environmental sciences labs.

Major motion pictures shooting on campus are not only for fun. They assist Louisiana's growing film industry, an important part of our city and state's economy. They also benefit Tulane by raising our profile and creating a positive buzz and excitement about the university. "The Queen Latifah Show" taping, for instance, featured both Tulane students and a special group of alumnae. Tulane students have also been hired as extras and have earned a few speaking roles in the many films we have hosted throughout the years. Margie and I even got to do a cameo appearance in "22 Jump Street." And that photo of Channing Tatum in a football uniform riding through campus with Jonah Hill has been tweeted and retweeted more times than I can count.

This is all great, but the football players who really deserve tweeting are our own Green Wave, who USA Today just named the nation's top "surprise team." This team is fun to watch and last week's triple overtime victory was one of the most exciting and nail-biting sporting events I have ever witnessed at Tulane. To make sure you are part of this year's fun, we are offering every faculty and staff member two free tickets to the Green Wave's next game against Tulsa at 2:30 p.m., Oct. 26, in the Mercedes-Benz Superdome. You and the team will get to see my hair a lovely shade of (TBD) for this game.

I also definitely plan to visit with students in the tailgating section before the game. Athletics is planning a huge pre-game party for our students with free food, soft drinks and music. It is sort of a Homecoming Part II to make up for some of the special events that got rained out for this year's Homecoming. I know it will be a blast. Our students pour their hearts into everything they do -- in the classroom, on the field, in the stands and in the community they are the real superstars who make the real difference.

Have a great weekend,

President Cowen

WAY TOO LATE! JUST SHUT UP and LEAVE, SC!!!!
Regards,
"Pete" Madere
Bigschtick
Riptide

What a absolute phony!
Speak softly but carry a bigschtick! In Sumrall We Trust!
msdos
Swell

I'll be the devil's advocate here.

I hate saying this, it actually hurts to type...

But, if we are to attribute all of the failures of the past few years to Cowen, we must attribute the success of this year to him as well.
jonathanjoseph
Green Wave

msdos wrote:I'll be the devil's advocate here.

But, if we are to attribute all of the failures of the past few years to Cowen, we must attribute the success of this year to him as well.
More like every blind squirrel finds a nut once in a while. No one else gets 15 years and dozens of chances to get it right because everyone else gets fired by then.
Eaglewave
Swell

Too late.
Ball Sumrall!
Robert1969
Riptide

Let me join you in playing devil's advocate. While I completely understand the anger at Cowen and how horrid the athletic department got under his watch, maybe we can pause the Cowen hate long enough to realize that this letter can help attendance at the Tulsa game.

His argument is not wrong. The university community absolutely should rally around the team. It is good that he is trying to rally the university community to do just that. It is good that they are trying to get faculty and staff to go to the game and support the team. It is good that he is trying to make this a "homecoming II." These things are good.

It doesn't erase the bad he did to the department. It doesn't mean you all have to forgive and forget. BUT it does mean, that in isolation this effort is a good one. The players deserve the support. End stop.

It's not going to change the longer perspective of his tenure in regards to athletics. BUT it stands a chance of getting the university community to support the team. And that is what fan support is about -- the team, not the fans.
JDTulane
Riptide

Why give him credit when loathing is so much easier? :eyeroll: :eyerollattheeyeroll:
jonathanjoseph
Green Wave

JDTulane wrote:Why give him credit when loathing is so much easier? :eyeroll: :eyerollattheeyeroll:
Because when you get paid $1M/year in salary, you don't get credit for getting something right on the 27th try.
OUG
Riptide

Robert1969 wrote:

Let me join you in playing devil's advocate. While I completely understand the anger at Cowen and how horrid the athletic department got under his watch, maybe we can pause the Cowen hate long enough to realize that this letter can help attendance at the Tulsa game.

His argument is not wrong. The university community absolutely should rally around the team. It is good that he is trying to rally the university community to do just that. It is good that they are trying to get faculty and staff to go to the game and support the team. It is good that he is trying to make this a "homecoming II." These things are good.

It doesn't erase the bad he did to the department. It doesn't mean you all have to forgive and forget. BUT it does mean, that in isolation this effort is a good one. The players deserve the support. End stop.

It's not going to change the longer perspective of his tenure in regards to athletics. BUT it stands a chance of getting the university community to support the team. And that is what fan support is about -- the team, not the fans.
Apologist plant apologizes again. How much is Cowen paying you? People like you are part of the problem and are ruining Tulane.

(There, I think I've covered all the flack you'll get for this from the usual quarters so you don't have to keep checking the thread).
Green Wave
Swell

OUG wrote:
Robert1969 wrote:

Apologist plant apologizes again. How much is Cowen paying you? People like you are part of the problem and are ruining Tulane.

(There, I think I've covered all the flack you'll get for this from the usual quarters so you don't have to keep checking the thread).

:lol: :lol: :lol:
ROLL WAVE!
Fred Dowler
Riptide

Robert1969 wrote:

A lot of what's been upsetting about the university regime is that Scott Cowen has been such a publicity hound (at times when he wants to be...and then of course when he's been out of view it's been times like the secret clandestine athletics review). He's been a media manipulator extraordinaire.

Sitting back and letting someone else take credit or have the spotlight is the opposite of what he's all about, though it would be highly preferable for him to stop with the silly hair-dyeing and trying to grab the spotlight. Sheldon Hackney or Eamon Kelly never needed to such major displays or conduct some or the other foolishness like Cowen does (and yet the "big fan" who just had to try to bask in the spotlight in 1998 pushed to close it all down all of a sudden 4 1/2 years later).
Last edited by Fred Dowler on Sat Oct 19, 2013 12:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tulane sports: small football stadium, very small basketball arena, w̶i̶n̶n̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶p̶r̶o̶g̶r̶a̶m̶s̶, h̶o̶n̶e̶s̶t̶y̶ ̶a̶n̶d̶ ̶a̶c̶c̶o̶u̶n̶t̶a̶b̶i̶l̶i̶t̶y̶ , but, hey, now there's tailgating.
ExileWave
Surge

Scottie is and has always been a total fraud. Now he is on the football bandwagon no doubt patting himself and RD on the back for the current football success. Ignoring that CJ's success is an accident they did not see coming when the coaching search failed in attracting "big time" coaches. I will be glad when he and his green hair are gone.

His letters to alums are such BS they go directly to my Spam folder.
Bigschtick
Riptide

ExileWave wrote:Scottie is and has always been a total fraud. Now he is on the football bandwagon no doubt patting himself and RD on the back for the current football success. Ignoring that CJ's success is an accident they did not see coming when the coaching search failed in attracting "big time" coaches. I will be glad when he and his green hair are gone.

His letters to alums are such BS they go directly to my Spam folder.

Yeah good riddance to this phony and to Margie. ALways looking to get heir faces in the news! His little
letters are nauseating.
Speak softly but carry a bigschtick! In Sumrall We Trust!