The view from Mobile

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
dpm wave
Swell

"We practiced that punt block all week,'' Ford said. "We knew they weren't going to be ready ready for it and when the coaches called it I knew it was going to work. We just had to execute it. ... We saw how the wings blocked on a punt - they always flair out - and underneath was wide open.'' :?

http://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2013 ... cart_river

"we'd love to have a rivalry with them in the future.''

Soooo, we lose LSU as a rivalry and gain USA. :oops:

The march to the dome through the streets of N.O. with the band leading us was awesome.We got a lot of cheers from people on the streets.It was just a special day thanks to the players coaches and The Big Easy.

we bowed up and won it

FUN HOMECOMING: The victory over Tulane wasn't just a big win for four members of South Alabama's team; it was a homecoming win of sorts. Defensive lineman Romelle Jones and linebacker Bryson James, both seniors, returned to their New Orleans home. Running back Kaleb Blanchard returned to his home state (he's from Denham Springs), as did offensive lineman John Dombrowski (Mandeville). Dombrowski is quite familiar with New Orleans and the Superdome. His father played for the New Orleans Saints for 11 seasons.

TU23
High Tide

Not saying that their punt block wouldn't have worked anyway, but that was squarely on Lizanich. Rob Kelley was still making calls and pointing out who to block when Lizanich snapped the ball for some unknown reason. Nobody was ready so half of our line didn't move. That was an unbelievably bad screw up.
Eaglewave
Swell

Now they think they have a rivalry started.
Ball Sumrall!
T1B2TW
High Tide

Eaglewave wrote:Now they think they have a rivalry started.
A female USA fan seated in front of me stated that she thought that Tulane and USA could become rivals. Well, I didn't say anything about this (I didn't want to sound high and mighty) but thought to myself: "I don't think so." First off, I certainly HOPE we don't aspire to have a rivalry with a team that has been playing football for just 4 years. Second, we won't be in the same conference come next year, so that is probably out of the question. But then again, they did come out on top this time so who knows?

BTW, speaking of rivals, did y'all know that USM has a better winning percentage against us than LSU does?! Go figure.
Dr. Rosenrosen
High Tide

A rivalry with a 5th year program? Ridiculous.

But I'll bet even RD thought we couldn't lose to USA. He dumbed down the schedule to an embarrassing degree and we still probably won't surpass 4 wins. Hope I'm wrong.
Charlie Dunn
Ripple

Losing to USA is a new low. We seem to keep hitting new lows every year. Hopefully, we can turn it around this season. Let's get a win against La. Tech now.
jonathanjoseph
Green Wave

Charlie Dunn wrote:Losing to USA is a new low. We seem to keep hitting new lows every year. Hopefully, we can turn it around this season. Let's get a win against La. Tech now.
It's this kind of blind optimism that keeps Dickson and crew employed.

It's not getting turned around this season (even if there is some likely improvement forthcoming). It isn't getting turned around next season. Basketball isn't getting turned around this year, or next, or the year after, etc.

Cowen/Dickson are the problem. Everything else has changed but losing under them is a constant. Nothing will change until they are gone, and they aren't leaving. (Cowen is picking his successor, so he's taken the reins permanently).

We let him steal the university. It's Scott Cowen University now. Shame on the alumni.
jonathanjoseph
Green Wave

Dr. Rosenrosen wrote:A rivalry with a 5th year program? Ridiculous.

But I'll bet even RD thought we couldn't lose to USA. He dumbed down the schedule to an embarrassing degree and we still probably won't surpass 4 wins. Hope I'm wrong.
You can't blame USA for trying that, because we are, by a technicality, above them on the college football totem poll (only because they are still brand new and we're, hopefully, moving to a better conference). That's how you move up, you try to associate yourself with those above you on the food chain. That's how USM did it (anyone, anytime, anywhere) and that's how TCU did it.

Rick Dickson is the only idiot who goes in the other direction, trying to associate Tulane with people lower on the totem pole, and look at how well that's worked out.
Krewe of Ham & Eggs
High Tide

jonathanjoseph wrote:
Charlie Dunn wrote:Losing to USA is a new low. We seem to keep hitting new lows every year. Hopefully, we can turn it around this season. Let's get a win against La. Tech now.
It's this kind of blind optimism that keeps Dickson and crew employed.

It's not getting turned around this season (even if there is some likely improvement forthcoming). It isn't getting turned around next season. Basketball isn't getting turned around this year, or next, or the year after, etc.

Cowen/Dickson are the problem. Everything else has changed but losing under them is a constant. Nothing will change until they are gone, and they aren't leaving. (Cowen is picking his successor, so he's taken the reins permanently).

We let him steal the university. It's Scott Cowen University now. Shame on the alumni.
And what exactly did you do to stop him... start a useless Facebook page? Gripe to the same people day after day on here?
jonathanjoseph
Green Wave

Krewe of Ham & Eggs wrote:[

And what exactly did you do to stop him... start a useless Facebook page? Gripe to the same people day after day on here?
Significantly more than that, and your belittling the same techniques that took down Middle Eastern dictators is pretty stupid. All you had to do was click "like" and tell your friends to do the same. But you were too scared of Cowen to do so. I found out the hard way that everyone is so afraid of Cowen that they will not be associated with someone speaking out against him.