Band Sucks

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
sader24
Tsunami

People are sleeping, worst halftime show I've ever seen.

Dave breslin
Swell

Go get a drink at half time!
NOLABigSteve
Riptide

That band director needs to be told something. That halftime show was awful for a football game.
Roll Wave!
Tulane University c/o 2003
Football Defensive End '99, '00, '01, '02
2002 Hawaii Bowl Champions
School of Engineering (Computer Science)
green4life
Low Tide

we can get you his email address. It's no secret.

I'm not there so i'll have to take your word for it.

PM me.
Fan since 1965 and was at the 14-0 Victory over LSU. It can be done.
wave runner
High Tide

Tweet by Hullabaloo Sports:
Hullabaloo Sports ‏@hullsports
As always, #Tulane's marching band is top notch

I laughed when I saw it
lurker123
Swell

wave runner wrote:Tweet by Hullabaloo Sports:

I laughed when I saw it
Glad you laughed. It was sent "Tweet-in-cheek."
wave runner
High Tide

lurker123 wrote:
wave runner wrote:Tweet by Hullabaloo Sports:

I laughed when I saw it
Glad you laughed. It was sent "Tweet-in-cheek."
I would hope so
sader24
Tsunami

I agree Steve, he clearly has no concept what a football halftime show is supposed to look like. You don't showcase the freakin flutes at halftime of a college game. It was impossible to hear what they were playing and they spent half the time in silence just lining up in different formations. I would've been embarrassed to be in that band tonight. Need a new Band Director who understands his audience.
wavedat
Swell

Luckily for them the uniforms sucked worse.
Tulane didn't have a stadium issue it had a program and facilities issues. To the new President- we want a new AD , a football facility and an IPF. We want top 25 programs in football and basketball the only two sports that count.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

sader24 wrote:People are sleeping, worst halftime show I've ever seen.
+1
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
wavemania
Surge

Get used to it. Until Tulane starts to give out band scholarships and have a music major for them, you aren't going to get too many kids to commit to playing in the band.
Houma de Wave
Swell

wavemania wrote:Get used to it. Until Tulane starts to give out band scholarships and have a music major for them, you aren't going to get too many kids to commit to playing in the band.
Exactly...so, I guess our band will stay mediocre.
Eaglewave
Swell

wavemania wrote:Get used to it. Until Tulane starts to give out band scholarships and have a music major for them, you aren't going to get too many kids to commit to playing in the band.
That and the fact that we need to change our style. Song selection is a major factor. The band was simple weak as far as volume, and extremely lame.
Ball Sumrall!
breaker
Ripple

Yesterday was a new low. We'll never be the Sonic Boom of the South, but some past shows at least had some energy. The energy should come from the MC, the song selection, the marching itself, and the playing of the songs with enthusiasm and volume. I felt like I was waiting in the dentist's office.
IM42lane
Swell

breaker wrote:Yesterday was a new low. We'll never be the Sonic Boom of the South, but some past shows at least had some energy. The energy should come from the MC, the song selection, the marching itself, and the playing of the songs with enthusiasm and volume. I felt like I was waiting in the dentist's office.

JUST WIN, BABY!!
Regards,
"Pete" Madere
Bigschtick
Riptide

Speak softly but carry a bigschtick! In Sumrall We Trust!
Bigschtick
Riptide

They do have some band scholarships but knowing Tulane and
the way they do things, I am sure they are quite limited.
TURVS71
Swell

This "band" seems to have become more of a drum and bugle type unit. Just doesn't fit the atmosphere of college football.

Also PLEASE lose the "Get Crunk" amd
"007" songs!!!!!! PLEASE
'Here's a song for the Olive and the Blue"
mbawavefan12
Tsunami

I just don't buy this as the best bands provide a select number of $1000-$2000 schlorships for the entire year. This situation is no different then the student support in the stands as it is all about the losing and lack of interest in the program. We have enough low salary majors and there are plenty of TU students who played an instraument in high school. It's a demand issue not supply imho.
Wavefan
Trickle

It is so tempting to tell you to go eff yourselves, but you are too busy whining to do that, and besides it wouldn't do anyone (except maybe you) any good. ;)

So instead I'll say this - don't like it? Do something constructive. Donate to the TUMB. Volunteer. Help.

FYI, TU does have a music major.

Also FYI, Tulane does provide a band stipend to most members of TUMB that is about like what many other schools provide. The difference being, of course, that $500 or $1,000 is a drop in the bucket for Tulane tuition and fees. Nearly all TUMB members are on other types of scholarships as well.

This year's TUMB is the largest in number since the band was reinstituted. But it is still a small band, and growth will be slow. JSU has more trombones than we have total band members, and by quite a margin! You "can't hear them" in the cavernous Superdome because there aren't many of them! That is just the cold, hard truth. If you listen to them before the game, outside, or see them in a concert or in a Carnival Parade, you will hear them just fine. And these kids are excellent musicians. Collectively they don't have the volume of a big state school band but individually I'd put them up against band members from any school.

They report every summer with the varsity athletes and go through training and rehearsals in the N.O. heat and humidity all day long. The band kids are some of the biggest supporters of athletics in the student body. They are there through thick and thin, unlike most of the students and many of you! Barry Spanier is a wonderful band director with tremendous credentials and we are fortunate to have him. As the numbers grow, the volume will grow, hopefully without a loss of the musicianship. Maybe then some of you will stop whining about the band, but no doubt you'll find something else to whine about.
IM42lane
Swell

Why doesn't Tulane contact Loyola and set up a system to recruit their music majors into the Tulane Band? Loyola has an excellent music department according to my daughter (2011 Loyola grad). I am sure that some of these Loyola students would love to attend a college football game for free, especially starting next year with the new football stadium.
Regards,
"Pete" Madere
NOLABigSteve
Riptide

Wavefan wrote:It is so tempting to tell you to go eff yourselves, but you are too busy whining to do that, and besides it wouldn't do anyone (except maybe you) any good. ;)

So instead I'll say this - don't like it? Do something constructive. Donate to the TUMB. Volunteer. Help.

Also FYI, Tulane does provide a band stipend to most members of TUMB that is about like what many other schools provide. The difference being, of course, that $500 or $1,000 is a drop in the bucket for Tulane tuition and fees. Nearly all TUMB members are on other types of scholarships as well.

This year's TUMB is the largest in number since the band was reinstituted. But it is still a small band, and growth will be slow. JSU has more trombones than we have total band members, and by quite a margin! You "can't hear them" in the cavernous Superdome because there aren't many of them! That is just the cold, hard truth. If you listen to them before the game, outside, or see them in a concert or in a Carnival Parade, you will hear them just fine. And these kids are excellent musicians. Collectively they don't have the volume of a big state school band but individually I'd put them up against band members from any school.

They report every summer with the varsity athletes and go through training and rehearsals in the N.O. heat and humidity all day long. The band kids are some of the biggest supporters of athletics in the student body. They are there through thick and thin, unlike most of the students and many of you! Barry Spanier is a wonderful band director with tremendous credentials and we are fortunate to have him. As the numbers grow, the volume will grow, hopefully without a loss of the musicianship. Maybe then some of you will stop whining about the band, but no doubt you'll find something else to whine about.
No one is saying they aren't great musicians. We are saying the halftime show was awful for a football game. I belive it was a song from Les Miserables that was played...
Roll Wave!
Tulane University c/o 2003
Football Defensive End '99, '00, '01, '02
2002 Hawaii Bowl Champions
School of Engineering (Computer Science)
sader24
Tsunami

Whoever is designing the halftime shows doesn't understand their audience. It's not a Dome filled with fine musicians who want to hear slow paced songs that feature the flute section. Know your audience.
Bigschtick
Riptide

[quote="Wavefan"]It is so tempting to tell you to go eff yourselves, but you are too busy whining to do that, and besides it wouldn't do anyone (except maybe you) any good. ;)

They report every summer with the varsity athletes and go through training and rehearsals in the N.O. heat and humidity all day long. The band kids are some of the biggest supporters of athletics in the student body. They are there through thick and thin, unlike most of the students and many of you! Barry Spanier is a wonderful band director with tremendous credentials and we are fortunate to have him. As the numbers grow, the volume will grow, hopefully without a loss of the musicianship. Maybe then some of you will stop whining about the band, but no doubt you'll find something else to whine about.[/quote

Excellent post and thank you for telling it just as it is. The band will come along and Barry will
Keep improving. In the past, many had good things to say. I am sure Barry Spanier will produce a band we can be proud of.
sader24
Tsunami

I'll repeat the half time show sucked not bc the kids suck at what they do but bc the director designed an absolutely horrendous halftime show. That's just a fact.