QB Battle

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
sader24
Tsunami

Nola.com did their QB position analysis today and has Montana the starter, Lee the clear #2, and Powell #3. CJ tried to throw water on it but he also said Jordy Joseph is competing for the job as well. This pretty much verifies what some of us knew coming in that Lee and not Powell is the future. I'm getting the impression that Montana will be starting for most of this year, but it's going to be hard for him to hold off Lee next season and maybe even towards the end of this season.

JerseyWave
Riptide

I hope they only take the redshirt off Lee due to injuries, or Montana and Powell just play so poorly.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

sader24 wrote:Nola.com did their QB position analysis today and has Montana the starter, Lee the clear #2, and Powell #3. CJ tried to throw water on it but he also said Jordy Joseph is competing for the job as well. This pretty much verifies what some of us knew coming in that Lee and not Powell is the future. I'm getting the impression that Montana will be starting for most of this year, but it's going to be hard for him to hold off Lee next season and maybe even towards the end of this season.
+1
http://www.nola.com/tulane/index.ssf/20 ... er_default
The player that gives us the best chance to win needs to play. It doesn't matter if he's a Sr or Fr. I'd bet Tanner Lee plays this year. There's no guarantee that he wouldn't declare for the draft as a Jr. should he redshirt during his time at Tulane.
Lee's the real deal. (NFL talent for sure) Scott Alexander who spoke to the Greenbackers this past Thursday said while watching his the first practice he wanted to know who was that QB making all those throws, it was Tanner Lee. He said he was extremely impressed with him. He's still raw but has unlimited upside. He's only played QB for a year and 1/2 in high school, he needs to learn the Tulane system.
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
mbawavefan12
Tsunami

sader24 wrote:Nola.com did their QB position analysis today and has Montana the starter, Lee the clear #2, and Powell #3. CJ tried to throw water on it but he also said Jordy Joseph is competing for the job as well. This pretty much verifies what some of us knew coming in that Lee and not Powell is the future. I'm getting the impression that Montana will be starting for most of this year, but it's going to be hard for him to hold off Lee next season and maybe even towards the end of this season.
I thought the story was sloppy and took alot of assumptions. When criticizing Tammy in the past, I was told she is just a beat reporter presenting facts, well in this instance she and the editor injected plenty of opinion. Until CJ lists Lee or says he is the #2, I will continue to think he is getting redshirted. One thing is for sure, the early reports on Lee are very positive. I still think Powell can be a capable D1 starter and hope he stays around to battle with Lee in the future.
ajcalhoun
Swell

tpstulane wrote:There's no guarantee that he wouldn't declare for the draft as a Jr. should he redshirt during his time at Tulane.
Lee's the real deal. (NFL talent for sure)
If he really is that good and we redshirt him then we will only get two years out of him.
God Bless Everyone!
TXWave88
Surge

The only way Lee would leave early would be if he either a) won the heisman trophy or b) we wont the national championship. It is safe to say that he is not going to leave after 3 years. Not because of his skills because no one has seen his potential in a game yet. If it meant Lee playing this year and making us go 0-12 for him to win the heisman/national championship in his sophomore, we could all endure another losing season for that. Let's just say that is not very probable just like him leaving to the draft after his 3rd year at Tulane.
tnelly15
Riptide

Yea, lets pump the brakes on the guy leaving early already. I hope all the good things said about him are true and they may be, but lets see the kid take a snap or two before anointing him.
@ScottDKushner: CJ said Nick Montana has been the most consistent quarterback this camp. Still isn't naming a starter for #Tulane
Montana will start this year, IMO. If we see Lee hopefully its in mop up duty.
mbawavefan12
Tsunami

tnelly15 wrote:Yea, lets pump the brakes on the guy leaving early already. I hope all the good things said about him are true and they may be, but lets see the kid take a snap or two before anointing him.
@ScottDKushner: CJ said Nick Montana has been the most consistent quarterback this camp. Still isn't naming a starter for #Tulane
I think we should pump the brakes on all things Lee. Excited for his potential is one thing, the talk about him even being an NFL QB is crazy right now. The off season cannot end soon enough.
sader24
Tsunami

I just think he's better than Powell and has a good chance to play alot next year, I don't know anything about him leaving early for the NFL. My hope is that he's able to redshirt this year and split time next year and take over as a Redshirt Soph.
TU23
High Tide

Lee has a lot of arm talent, but so do a lot of other players out there. He hasn't played that much football, and as much as CJ likes him, I'm not sure CJ can play him a lot and risk the growing pains. We have to win now. Montana gives us the best chance to do that simply because of his experience. Lee would be much better served holding a clipboard for the whole season. IMO, you only play him if he is going to be the starter. You can't fool around and waste a redshirt to give him spot PT.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

TXWave88 wrote:The only way Lee would leave early would be if he either a) won the heisman trophy or b) we wont the national championship. It is safe to say that he is not going to leave after 3 years. Not because of his skills because no one has seen his potential in a game yet. If it meant Lee playing this year and making us go 0-12 for him to win the heisman/national championship in his sophomore, we could all endure another losing season for that. Let's just say that is not very probable just like him leaving to the draft after his 3rd year at Tulane.
I'm not saying he would leave early, but his Sr. year he would be his 5th year if he redshirts this year. So realistically he could declare for the draft after he finishes his Jr year which would be his 4th year at Tulane. My point is that I really don't care if he redshirts or not and you get better by playing in live action not holding a clipboard.
Tulane Class of 1981
mbawavefan12
Tsunami

I would love to see Lee be drafted after his Jr year, love it.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

mbawavefan12 wrote:I would love to see Lee be drafted after his Jr year, love it.
+1
Tulane Class of 1981
greenphantom
Swell

mbawavefan12 wrote:
tnelly15 wrote:Yea, lets pump the brakes on the guy leaving early already. I hope all the good things said about him are true and they may be, but lets see the kid take a snap or two before anointing him.
I think we should pump the brakes on all things Lee. Excited for his potential is one thing, the talk about him even being an NFL QB is crazy right now. The off season cannot end soon enough.
+1. Lee hasn't taken a college snap and yet some are already annointing him an early NFL draft entry. I cant wait to see him play but I think expectations need to be tempered just a tad.
ajcalhoun
Swell

tpstulane wrote:
TXWave88 wrote:The only way Lee would leave early would be if he either a) won the heisman trophy or b) we wont the national championship. It is safe to say that he is not going to leave after 3 years. Not because of his skills because no one has seen his potential in a game yet. If it meant Lee playing this year and making us go 0-12 for him to win the heisman/national championship in his sophomore, we could all endure another losing season for that. Let's just say that is not very probable just like him leaving to the draft after his 3rd year at Tulane.
I'm not saying he would leave early, but his Sr. year he would be his 5th year if he redshirts this year. So realistically he could declare for the draft after he finishes his Jr year which would be his 4th year at Tulane. My point is that I really don't care if he redshirts or not and you get better by playing in live action not holding a clipboard.
Consider my brakes pumped.
My point was that he will be eligible for the NFL three years after leaving high school no matter how many seasons he plays at Tulane. If after his Redshirt Sophomore year he has shown to be worthy of a high draft choice he can declare for the draft..
I'm not saying he is that good.
I'm not saying he will be gone.
I am only refuting the idea that some sunshine-pumpers here have that he might redshirt then play four more years here at a high level.
Frankly, if he does stay here for five years it would mean that he's not really that good.

BTW If Montana has a breakout season this year he can declare for the draft in January so there is no guarantee that we'll get two years out of him.
God Bless Everyone!
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

He's going to play this year.
http://theadvocate.com/sports/statescho ... akes-early
Six days into preseason practice, Lee (6-feet-4 and 204 pounds) already looks like a good bet to be Tulane’s quarterback of the future. The coaches aren’t discounting his chances of playing a significant role this year, too, despite the presence of likely starter Nick Montana. The four quarterbacks on the roster — Montana, Lee, redshirt freshman Devin Powell and walk-on Jordy Joseph — have received equal repetitions in the first week.

Lee’s was the first name Johnson mentioned after two of those practices.

“He throws the deep ball really well,” Johnson said after Tulane’s fourth practice. “I’ll be watching those guys, and then all of a sudden I’ll see Tanner Lee throw something that was special. All of those guys are competing. We’ll name a starter, but you’ll see another guy running in and playing just to make sure we’re not making a wrong decision.”
As to the nola story, Tammy forms her opinions from talking to coaches.
Tulane Class of 1981
Pullinmyhairout
Low Tide

Montana is going to start. If we see Lee outside of mop up duty that means a)Montana is hurt (not good) or b)we are losing with Montana (not good). I don't want to see Lee play this year. I WANT TO WIN!!!!!!!
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Pullinmyhairout wrote:Montana is going to start. If we see Lee outside of mop up duty that means a)Montana is hurt (not good) or b)we are losing with Montana (not good). I don't want to see Lee play this year. I WANT TO WIN!!!!!!!
Of course Montana is going to start, but Lee will see some playing time as well. This competition will push Montana to do better. I would only redshirt kids that can't contribute right away, besides CJ may not be coaching at Tulane in 5 years.
Tulane Class of 1981
OUG
Riptide

There's no reason to keep a redshirt on him. We will have other kids coming in that can play as well, like Cuillette. If Tanner earns second on the depth chart, let him be the backup. It's really as simple as that. If he is good enough to earn some PT spelling Montana, that will just make him more ready when he needs to take the reigns in 2015. It will also put pressure on Montana to get better both this year and next.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

OUG wrote:There's no reason to keep a redshirt on him. We will have other kids coming in that can play as well, like Cuillette. If Tanner earns second on the depth chart, let him be the backup. It's really as simple as that. If he is good enough to earn some PT spelling Montana, that will just make him more ready when he needs to take the reigns in 2015. It will also put pressure on Montana to get better both this year and next.
+1
The more time he gets on the field the better he's going to get. He needs playing time in certain situations this year. He hasn't much experience at QB yet. One year in high school, but apparently he's learning fast.
Tulane Class of 1981
Pullinmyhairout
Low Tide

If Montana wins the starting spot and he wins games for us then it needs to be his team.
jonathanjoseph
Green Wave

Pullinmyhairout wrote:If Montana wins the starting spot and he wins games for us then it needs to be his team.
+1
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Pullinmyhairout wrote:If Montana wins the starting spot and he wins games for us then it needs to be his team.
That would be great, lets hope we win so that Lee get some snaps in good situations to develop in. In case Montana gets hurt, we'll need someone that can run the offense. Just about every year at Tulane we have seen the starting QB miss some time because of injuries. It's always better to have a backup that has the ability to run that offense and not miss a beat.
Tulane Class of 1981
Jonathan
Riptide

QB is not the problem but the Swiss cheese offensive and defensive lines. You can have the greatest QB in the nation but with the worst and weakest lines in the nation at TU for many years there is no hope and only sacks. Any change this year?
sader24
Tsunami

I don't know how quickly the improvement will show, but the staff has put a tremendous amount of effort into completely overhauling both lines. I think OL is still going to be a weakness, but there is help on the way. In two years we should look drastically different on the offensive line. I think you'll see improved play from both lines, I think the DL will be more improved than the OL however.